ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Rapids man says city ordinance discriminates against whites

I understand that. But it is an advisory board that is involved in public governance, much the way that an FDA advisory board is, or any other federal advisory board subject to FACA.
For an FDA board I would tend to agree that racial quotas are meaningless. For a police advisory board it makes total sense to me.

For an FDA board I would tend to agree that racial quotas are meaningless. For a police advisory board it makes total sense to me.
Again, I get the reason, and it's important. But the problem is, legally, it has to do more than "make sense" (i.e., pass 'rational basis' review) if you are going to have an explicit racial classification. Usually, in the context of explicit racial classifications, a government entity must show a compelling state interest, and that the racial classification is necessary to the achievement of that interest. Setting aside whether it is or not compelling (relatively few things actually are), the fact that they achieved the goal of minority community input in the other board member criteria in and of itself illustrates why doing so via an explicit racial proxy is not "necessary."

Again, I get the reason, and it's important. But the problem is, legally, it has to do more than "make sense" (i.e., pass 'rational basis' review) if you are going to have an explicit racial classification. Usually, in the context of explicit racial classifications, a government entity must show a compelling state interest, and that the racial classification is necessary to the achievement of that interest. Setting aside whether it is or not compelling (relatively few things actually are), the fact that they achieved the goal of minority community input in the other board member criteria in and of itself illustrates why doing so via an explicit racial proxy is not "necessary."
The legal question will come down on how much latitude and discretion a mayor has to create their own advisory board.

As noted, it is very likely current settled law establishes extremely broad latitude. It seems to me this activist lawyer is looking to challenge that settled law.

That looks like straight legalese. Where did you get that?

But the response I would give is that the interest they are trying to achieve is to have better communication between cops and minority communities, or at least a major goal of the board. The fact that there's a 5/9 minority mandate pretty much proves this.

The legal question will come down on how much latitude and discretion a mayor has to create their own advisory board.

As noted, it is very likely current settled law establishes extremely broad latitude. It seems to me this activist lawyer is looking to challenge that settled law.
This is not some informal mayoral advisory board, this is created by city ordinance, with very specifically enumerated powers, duties, and authority.

https://www.cedar-rapids.org/local_...nd_commissions/citizen_review_board_(crb).php

That looks like straight legalese. Where did you get that?

But the response I would give is that the interest they are trying to achieve is to have better communication between cops and minority communities, or at least a major goal of the board. The fact that there's a 5/9 minority mandate pretty much proves this.
Sadly, I am in fact afflicted with a law degree, so it is legalese because it is in fact the legal standard. I get the interest, and lord knows I agree with you that there is value to having such a board, and particularly in having mechanisms to ensure that there is minority community input. But in this country, you simply can't (legally) establish quotas, no matter how noble the ends.

Reactions: IACub
Sadly, I am in fact afflicted with a law degree, so it is legalese because it is in fact the legal standard. I get the interest, and lord knows I agree with you that there is value to having such a board, and particularly in having mechanisms to ensure that there is minority community input. But in this country, you simply can't (legally) establish quotas, no matter how noble the ends.
I guess we'll find out if you're right!

Reactions: Aardvark86
I guess we'll find out if you're right!
As i said earlier, people can achieve their goals very easily if they don't overreach (whether intentionally or stupidly). Now, for better or worse, they have a federal lawsuit to deal with that could have easily been avoided.

Pretty sure any advisory board has to be created via ordinance.

Doesn't change the legal precedents.
Ok then, i don't need case law, but give me one example of a mayoral advisory board that included an explicit racial quota in its membership ordinance. That is not an exercise of discretion ("I picked Janice because I know she really has her finger on the pulse of the community's concerns").

So maybe try to change the behavior of both sides by creating things like, oh I don't know, say... advisory boards?

Why do you think this board was created? So that the cops could have better communication with minority communities or so they could talk to a bunch of suburban white dudes?
Well we're in big ass trouble if the meaning of CRIME has to be explained to people of various ethnicities.

From the ordinance:

Voting members will be selected in conformance with the following:
a. The overall membership of the CRB will include a minimum of five (5) voting members who identify as people of color.

BTW, that is in addition to this, which would seem to address the legitimate interests of capturing input reflecting particular perspectives without the potential need to resort to race itself:

Three (3) voting members will be selected from applications submitted by individuals who are employed by, or active volunteers in a group with a designation pursuant to Iowa Code Section 501(c)(3) (2020), as amended from time to time, and that is focused on advocacy of, and racial justice for, underrepresented citizens of Cedar Rapids, including, but not limited to: NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens), Iowa Asian Alliance, ASJ (Advocates for Social Justice), United We March Forward, with a limit of one (1) member per organization; and
Does that mean whites can serve on the board if they identify as black?

Does that mean whites can serve on the board if they identify as black?
Ah yes, the Elon Musk gambit. Who knows? Let's just say that I hope that the persons who apply/have applied for the positions do so in good faith. As I have made clear elsewhere I'm not much of a fan of astroturf litigation that serves no purpose other than to stick a hypothetical thumb in the other guy's eye.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT