ADVERTISEMENT

Chad Leistikow's B10 Predictions for every team

Wisconsin and Northwestern clearly are ahead of Iowa on paper in the West. Hard to suggest Iowa isn't #3, based on past head to head with other B1G West programs ...
since when do we base games on past seasons?
that's why preseason ranking are pointless

hell i think 1 win msu was a "top 10" team last year lol

Exactly right. At Iowa, like so many schools, so many variables change from one year to the next. Unless your OSU, and can simply overcome obstacles with superior talent pretty much every year. I'm really suprised he picked Michigan to suplant OSU, and PSU. Michigan goes from being the most veteran team in the league to the youngest, while trying to overcome their rival who was the youngest team last year. No doubt Michigan COULD win it all, I just wouldn't pick them higher then third in the east this season.

Actually, Michigan State was just outside the Top 10 at #11 and #12, respectively, in the two polls.

I wouldn't put MSU in the Top 30 at this stage. They will have to earn it in 2017, as will the other final 8 programs, not named ...

I would suggest there are five Big Ten teams worthy of the Top 25.

Actually, Michigan State was just outside the Top 10 at #11 and #12, respectively, in the two polls.

I wouldn't put MSU in the Top 30 at this stage. They will have to earn it in 2017, as will the other final 8 programs, not named ...

I would suggest there are five Big Ten teams worthy of the Top 25.
they were as high as 8, thanks to a win over ND....another way overrated team.

I can only think of 4 b1g teams....i assume you think NW is a top 25 team then?

Always good for a laugh to see the simplistic, non-thoughtful spoutings of those that question the reporter who dares to try to put together something resembling objective analysis as opposed to feeding a juvenile need for cheerleading.

So because Leistikow doesn't sing the Iowa fight song and predict a national championship he is a closet 'clone fan? He hates the Hawks?

Always good for a laugh to see the simplistic, non-thoughtful spoutings of those that question the reporter who dares to try to put together something resembling objective analysis as opposed to feeding a juvenile need for cheerleading.

So because Leistikow doesn't sing the Iowa fight song and predict a national championship he is a closet 'clone fan? He hates the Hawks?

Me and fifteenandoh sure think so!

You should be "suspicious" of him. Could be controlled by the Trilateral Commission.

I agree the hawks shouldnt lose a game the rest of KF's career at Iowa. Maybe they will but they shouldnt. You and I are on the same page!
thank you... and I agree...
some people act like its a sin to be optimistic.
I'm suspicious of these people.

If we played Alabama 12 games a season MAYBE Id think we'd lose 1 or 2. But seriously! We play Alabama 0 times!

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly disagree.... a reporter who covers a specific team would do themselves a good deal if they showed optimism.

it must be hell for people like CL to cover a sports team they don't even like.

but I seriously don't believe CL has any idea what he's talking about...

he fishes... he don't analyze

how accurate was CL last year with his perdiction and in 2015 how good was he?

was he even around in 2014?

So you just want a cheerleader to cover the team, telling you everything is going to be great even if the evidence suggests otherwise? Any journalist with a grain of integrity would not comply with those marching orders. To think a journalist should pander to the fans devotion and/or affiliation to a team by only painting a positive picture is childish and absurd in my opinion.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
So you just want a cheerleader to cover the team, telling you everything is going to be great even if the evidence suggests otherwise? Any journalist with a grain of integrity would not comply with those marching orders. To think a journalist should pander to the fans devotion and/or affiliation to a team by only painting a positive picture is childish and absurd in my opinion.
I'm still scratching my head about the guy on here who calls you a liar if if you think a realistic season for the Hawks is 8-4. It's a tough schedule.

no.... any journalist that doesn't pander to the fanbase should find an honest job pickin strawberries..
he covers a team, his work should resemble that.
instead we got a whole host of so called journalist pandering to the likes of ESPN.

name me one journalist that shows optimism toward the Iowa Hawkyes?

as a fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes, I'd think you would want more optimism... more excitement for the team you are a fan of...

but not only do you not want such things...
you resent them that do.

I find this very unusual... and very strange... and quite frankly.... I'm suspicious of you.

no.... any journalist that doesn't pander to the fanbase should find an honest job pickin strawberries..
he covers a team, his work should resemble that.
instead we got a whole host of so called journalist pandering to the likes of ESPN.

name me one journalist that shows optimism toward the Iowa Hawkyes?

as a fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes, I'd think you would want more optimism... more excitement for the team you are a fan of...

but not only do you not want such things...
you resent them that do.

I find this very unusual... and very strange... and quite frankly.... I'm suspicious of you.

Call me crazy, but its my belief that its the coaches responsibility to create optimism in the fan base, specifically by winning games, recruiting well and scheduling out of conference games that are appealing. I don't want a cheerleader of a journalist that fails to look objectively and honestly at any given situation or result.

Call me crazy, but its my belief that its the coaches responsibility to create optimism in the fan base, specifically by winning games, recruiting well and scheduling out of conference games that are appealing. I don't want a cheerleader of a journalist that fails to look objectively and honestly at any given situation or result.
you just buried yourself with your own statement.

Looks like Iowa's record about right but Nebraska's is too low. Still think Riley is too good a coach to hold down, even for the bugeaters.

I think it's really hard to pick how the Hawkeyes will do this year for those that cover the team since the historical markers are all over the place.

Iowa returns the entire OL, has 2 elite halfbacks now with Wadley and Butler. The Iowa defense returns quite a few starters and has the pieces to be really salty, including incredible DLine depth. Historically Iowa does well when returning a solid running game and defense. New QB, but that has not been a good predictor of success at Iowa. Banks, Tate, Chandler, Beathard all had 10 plus win seasons in their first year.

However, last time Iowa changed OC we went 4-8 (I would argue injuries at OT and an unusually poor recruiting run on defensive line, including Kaz running off players hurt that team way more than the coordinator change did, but its a factor). Iowa has never quite been this thin at WR, and its not like TE has an absolute standout from last year to bank on either. Sportswriters don't bank on faith when making these up. 7-5 is a reasonable prediction, and is the record Iowa has finished at the most in the KF era, but at the end of the day as fans we can be more optimistic.

Reactions: Tacticalhawk
they were as high as 8, thanks to a win over ND....another way overrated team.

I can only think of 4 b1g teams....i assume you think NW is a top 25 team then?

The Northwestern and Minnesota infatuation has been astonishing this offseason. I don’t get it. Northwestern is solid. But I doubt they win or even come in 2nd in BIG West. Maybe I have the, Wis, Iowa, & Neb blinders on but I don’t see those three being behind NW & Minn.

Exactly right. At Iowa, like so many schools, so many variables change from one year to the next. Unless your OSU, and can simply overcome obstacles with superior talent pretty much every year. I'm really suprised he picked Michigan to suplant OSU, and PSU. Michigan goes from being the most veteran team in the league to the youngest, while trying to overcome their rival who was the youngest team last year. No doubt Michigan COULD win it all, I just wouldn't pick them higher then third in the east this season.

Like you I could not be more surprised picking Michigan first in the East. They lost a ton of experience (and NFL draft picks) off last year's team that managed to somehow lose 3 games. I get that Jimmy is recruiting very, very well but his team will be very young next year and I think you need a little experience amongst the talent to reach that kind of finish. Not sure that QB is all that great either. Michigan is closing the gap on OSU but they are not OSU yet. Very bold pick by Chad.

East is OSU, PSU, then Michigan, then everyone else

West Wisconsin and then a scramble between NW, Iowa, Nebby and maybe Minny.

to me... it seems like Chad Leistikow hates the Iowa Hawkeyes.
there's no sense of optimism coming from that guy.

he's got a 3rd place team from a year ago, winning the East Division for the first time since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. (think about that)

Iowa was 2nd in the Division last year... and won the Division the year before...
but now he has them finishing 3rd.

there's no logic in these predictions... I know its all for fun... but it does seem to me that he has something against Iowa Hawkeye football.
No it doesn't. If you follow him at all you would realize you're just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.

It has been 13 years for Michigan, with a Big Ten title. The real foundation aspect that has been missing, since maybe the Mike Hart days, has been a solid run game.

As I heard a guy for SI early in the year say, when Michigan played at Iowa, Ohio State and vs. Florida State: where was the solid running game for the Wolverines?

Chad Leistikow's predictions 2016
East Division
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan (his team)
3. Michigan State
4. Penn State
5. Indiana
6. Maryland
7. Rutgers
West Division
1. Minnesota (his other team)
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois
6. Wisconsin (think about it)
7. Purdue

now tell me... you think Chad Leistikow knows football?
"Chad Leistikow spent eight years at USA TODAY Sports, the last two of which he served as motor sports editor. "

I don't think his heart is in this Hawkeyes gig.
he placates to the Pessimist.

in 2015 Iowa finishes first.... so Leistikow predicts them to go 2nd
in 2016 Iowa finishes second.... so Leistikow predicts them to finish 3rd

think about that...

what I don't like is these so called Hawkeye reporters profitting off of Hawkeye fans by posing themselves as supporters of the Iowa Hawkeye program... when they aren't even fans of the team they cover.

not only that... these so called reporters act like its some sort of sin to show optimism for the team they cover...

I mean... when is the last time you ever heard of an Iowa Hawkeye Reporter predicting the Hawkeyes to Win the Division... let alone the Big Ten Conference Championship?

has it ever happened?

Chad Leistikow's predictions 2016
East Division
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan (his team)
3. Michigan State
4. Penn State
5. Indiana
6. Maryland
7. Rutgers
West Division
1. Minnesota (his other team)
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois
6. Wisconsin (think about it)
7. Purdue

now tell me... you think Chad Leistikow knows football?
"Chad Leistikow spent eight years at USA TODAY Sports, the last two of which he served as motor sports editor. "

I don't think his heart is in this Hawkeyes gig.
he placates to the Pessimist.

in 2015 Iowa finishes first.... so Leistikow predicts them to go 2nd
in 2016 Iowa finishes second.... so Leistikow predicts them to finish 3rd

think about that...

what I don't like is these so called Hawkeye reporters profitting off of Hawkeye fans by posing themselves as supporters of the Iowa Hawkeye program... when they aren't even fans of the team they cover.

not only that... these so called reporters act like its some sort of sin to show optimism for the team they cover...

I mean... when is the last time you ever heard of an Iowa Hawkeye Reporter predicting the Hawkeyes to Win the Division... let alone the Big Ten Conference Championship?

has it ever happened?

Being uninformed and insecure is no way to go through life

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
So, you're pissed at Chad for predicting the Hawkeyes finish 2nd last year, when they ended up finishing 2nd?

Journalists attempt to be objective. If you don't like it, just read internet message boards.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT