ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Young should not be eligible for the Heisman

He did get snubbed but not because Young was a badass. He got snubbed because people already had it in their heads that Hurts and Fields should be in the running.

I don't disagree, but I have to think Taylor is there if Young isn't...

He completely absent against Michigan and didn't do all that much against Wisconsin in the championship game. So, the 2 most important games of the year and he is a no show. If a qb was in the running for this award (I for one do not like this award) and numbers relative to the offensive side of the ball he would be toast.

Last edited:
Leaving Taylor off the invitation list is just not right. He ma.y not be the best but he most certainly is among the best 4 and should have been invited.

I tend to agree that the Heisman committee should have standards which disqualify players who have violated rules but I also like the fact that they included a defensive player/lineman.

I believe it was 1956, Iowa's Alex Karras, a tackle who played both ways in those days and who won the Outland Award, finished SECOND in the Heisman voting, a fact it seems few people--even Hawkeye fans--are aware of.

Reactions: HemiHawk
He completely absent against Michigan and didn't do all that much against Minnesota. So, the 2 most important games of the year and he is a no show. If a qb was in the running for this award (I for one do not like this award) and numbers relative to the offensive side of the ball he would be toast.
I see....you didn't include Iowa as one of Wisconsin's most important games because we're just so much better than them, that it's not even worth listing.

I gotcha now.....;)

Won’t matter. They really need to change the Heisman name to the QB/RB award because no other position has a chance.

I believe it was 1956, Iowa's Alex Karras, a tackle who played both ways in those days and who won the Outland Award, finished SECOND in the Heisman voting, a fact it seems few people--even Hawkeye fans--are aware of.
There are a lot of Hawk fans that don't even know there was a 1956, so there's that. They probably don't know Wyatt Earp was a real person either......;)

More importantly, he adopted a young African American boy named Webster.

giphy.gif

Leaving Taylor off the invitation list is just not right. He ma.y not be the best but he most certainly is among the best 4 and should have been invited.

I tend to agree that the Heisman committee should have standards which disqualify players who have violated rules but I also like the fact that they included a defensive player/lineman.

I thought the precedent was set with Peter Warrick, who was suspended and not invited.

I don't disagree, but I have to think Taylor is there if Young isn't...
Some will disagree with this, but I would take JK Dobbins over Taylor. Dobbins showed up big-time in every big game OSU had this year - including the last three juggernauts in a row - PSU, UM, and Wisconsin. That kid was huge. Awards should be based on how players preform in the big games and Dobbins certainly responded.

Reactions: Buck2427 and B1G
Without looking it up, who won the Heisman last year?

30 years ago I wouldve known in 2 seconds, it was like asking who Michael Jordan played for in Chicago.
Kyler Murray and the previous year Baker Mayfield (I think...).

Won't be Jalen Hurts this year though. Crazy that 2 of the 4 reps are Transfers, albeit from one powerhouse Program to another.

Kyler Murray and the previous year Baker Mayfield.

Won't be Jalen Hurts this year though. Crazy that 2 of the 4 reps are Transfers, albeit from one powerhouse Program to another.
Actually, Burrow, Fields and Hurts are all transfers and all three transferred from powerhouse programs to powerhouse programs. The transfer portal is just another phase of recruiting where the rich get richer.

He completely absent against Michigan and didn't do all that much against Minnesota. So, the 2 most important games of the year and he is a no show. If a qb was in the running for this award (I for one do not like this award) and numbers relative to the offensive side of the ball he would be toast.
You're talking about Taylor right? He ran for 200 yards and 2 TD's against Michigan

Who are you talking about?
I assume not young, because I don't think they played MN.
I assume not taylory, unless you consider 200+ yards "being absent".

Actually, Burrow, Fields and Hurts are all transfers and all three transferred from powerhouse programs to powerhouse programs. The transfer portal is just another phase of recruiting where the rich get richer.
Alabama didn't get "richer" :).
I do agree for the most part though.
Then again, you see teams like IL pulling in guys from major programs, and look at the improvement they've made in 12 months......

Some will disagree with this, but I would take JK Dobbins over Taylor. Dobbins showed up big-time in every big game OSU had this year - including the last three juggernauts in a row - PSU, UM, and Wisconsin. That kid was huge. Awards should be based on how players preform in the big games and Dobbins certainly responded.
Can you imagine what Taylor would do if he played on that offense?

BTW taylor had 7.4 ypc in the championship, not sure why he only had 20 carries! Can't imagine the fans liked that....

Can you imagine what Taylor would do if he played on that offense?

BTW t andaylor had 7.4 ypc in the championship, not sure why he only had 20 carries! Can't imagine the fans liked that....
Taylor has 2 40+ yard runs in the game. The 44 yd TD run for the first score of the game and a 40 yard run late in the 2nd qtr. Credit to him and the Wisconsin line for those plays. He averaged 3.5 yards on the other carries. OSU did a poor job of tackling in the first half. They did a much better job on 1st down defense in the 2nd half which put Wisconsin in passing situations on 2nd and 3rd down. The OSU offense woke up and controlled the clock the 2nd half of the game limiting Taylor to just 7 carries after halftime.

Taylor has 2 40+ yard runs in the game. The 44 yd TD run for the first score of the game and a 40 yard run late in the 2nd qtr. Credit to him and the Wisconsin line for those plays. He averaged 3.5 yards on the other carries. OSU did a poor job of tackling in the first half. They did a much better job on 1st down defense in the 2nd half which put Wisconsin in passing situations on 2nd and 3rd down. The OSU offense woke up and controlled the clock the 2nd half of the game limiting Taylor to just 7 carries after halftime.
when you take out guys biggest plays, their stats tend to suffer.....

True, and he was no saint either, He probably got suspended at some point as well.....

Don't @ me.

Call me old school, but you shouldn't be eligible if you're suspended during the season. Johnathan Taylor got snubbed.
Agree
Isn't character one of the prerequisites for this award. JT represents all the things this award is about.
FK OSU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT