ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago shootings: At least 71 shot, 9 fatally, from Friday to Monday across city, police say!

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
The shooting victims from over the weekend range in age from 13 to 57, representing various parts of the city, and the violence has some seeking new solutions.

South Lawndale residents met with police on Monday following a staggering number of weekend shootings.

At least 71 people were shot, nine of them killed, across the city from Friday evening to Monday morning, police said.

"Seventy people being shot is 70 too many. The fact is, we've got work to do. While we're making progress, we've got so much more to do," said 22nd Ward Ald. Mike Rodriguez.

At least two-dozen people were shot during a five-hour period from midnight to 5 a.m. Monday.

I can't wait to get back to Chicago this summer and hit up the rooftop bars downtown. Man I love that place.

Nearby, 17th Ward Alderman David Moore is fed up.

He says Friday night, he started camping out on 73rd Place between Ada and Racine, a block he describes as an open-air drug market.

His stay, which he chronicled on Facebook Live, was interrupted by nearby gunfire Saturday night.

"We've got to un-cuff the hands of the police," Moore said. "We can't take the tools away from CPD, and I encourage this administration not to. That's the bottom line."

Last edited:
I can't wait to get back to Chicago this summer and hit up the rooftop bars downtown. Man I love that place.

Had a business outing and watched a Cubs game on a roof. Man was the fun, including the after game bar scene.

I'll never forget a woman in a bar that had the prettiest green eyes I've EVER seen. Reminded me of Lindsay Lohan when she was hot.

78dvd96tgqq71.jpg

The shooting victims from over the weekend range in age from 13 to 57, representing various parts of the city, and the violence has some seeking new solutions.

South Lawndale residents met with police on Monday following a staggering number of weekend shootings.

At least 71 people were shot, nine of them killed, across the city from Friday evening to Monday morning, police said.

"Seventy people being shot is 70 too many. The fact is, we've got work to do. While we're making progress, we've got so much more to do," said 22nd Ward Ald. Mike Rodriguez.

At least two-dozen people were shot during a five-hour period from midnight to 5 a.m. Monday.

Not enough. Need more shooting and fatalities so these groups of people start to dwindle.

Had a business outing and watched a Cubs game on a roof. Man was the fun, including the after game bar scene.

I'll never forget a woman in a bar that had the prettiest green eyes I've EVER seen. Reminded me of Lindsay Lohan when she was hot.

78dvd96tgqq71.jpg
The rooftop bar scene over there is just awesome. We have so much fun every time we're there.

America's highest gun death rates are in the South​

Data: Center for American Progress Action Fund; Map: Erin Davis/Axios Visuals
The cities with the highest firearm homicide rates are clustered in the South, generally in red states with less restrictive gun laws, according to an analysis by the left-leaning Center for American Progress Action Fund provided exclusively to Axios.
Why it matters: The report argues that the findings refute Republican narratives that progressive policies stoke more crime in cities.

• In fact, there's a distinct gap between urban firearm homicide rates in blue states — which tend to have stronger gun safety laws — and those in red states, the report concludes.
  • The analysis used data from the Gun Violence Archive on the 300 most populous U.S. cities.
  • It comes amid a growing push to treat gun violence as a public health crisis, including New Mexico's controversial use of a public health order to ban open and concealed carry.
What they're saying: The analysis shows "we're really seeing two different Americas when it comes to gun violence," said Chandler Hall, the report's author and a senior policy analyst at CAP.

• "There's already a lot that cities are trying to do to address gun violence locally … but when they're hamstrung by state policies and can't control the flow of guns or how guns are carried in their cities, there's only so much city officials can do," he added.
  • What's more, some blue-state cities, like Chicago, are bordered by red states with looser gun laws.
Zoom in: St. Louis had America's highest gun homicide rate in 2022, followed by Birmingham, Ala., New Orleans, Jackson, Miss., and Baltimore.

By the numbers: The average gun homicide rate in blue-state cities was 7.2 per 100,000 residents from 2015 to 2022, the analysis found. In red-state cities, it was 11.1 deaths per 100,000.

Yes, but: Gun homicide rates were higher overall in blue cities — as defined by the mayor's party affiliation — than in red ones.

• The report argues that blue cities differ from red cities when it comes to factors like population size, poverty rate and inequality, and that contrasting them doesn't yield meaningful conclusions.
The big picture: Cities also typically don't have much control over gun laws, experts say.

Data: Center for American Progress Action Fund; Map: Erin Davis/Axios Visuals
The cities with the highest firearm homicide rates are clustered in the South, generally in red states with less restrictive gun laws, according to an analysis by the left-leaning Center for American Progress Action Fund provided exclusively to Axios.
Why it matters: The report argues that the findings refute Republican narratives that progressive policies stoke more crime in cities.

• In fact, there's a distinct gap between urban firearm homicide rates in blue states — which tend to have stronger gun safety laws — and those in red states, the report concludes.
  • The analysis used data from the Gun Violence Archive on the 300 most populous U.S. cities.
  • It comes amid a growing push to treat gun violence as a public health crisis, including New Mexico's controversial use of a public health order to ban open and concealed carry.
What they're saying: The analysis shows "we're really seeing two different Americas when it comes to gun violence," said Chandler Hall, the report's author and a senior policy analyst at CAP.

• "There's already a lot that cities are trying to do to address gun violence locally … but when they're hamstrung by state policies and can't control the flow of guns or how guns are carried in their cities, there's only so much city officials can do," he added.
  • What's more, some blue-state cities, like Chicago, are bordered by red states with looser gun laws.
Zoom in: St. Louis had America's highest gun homicide rate in 2022, followed by Birmingham, Ala., New Orleans, Jackson, Miss., and Baltimore.

By the numbers: The average gun homicide rate in blue-state cities was 7.2 per 100,000 residents from 2015 to 2022, the analysis found. In red-state cities, it was 11.1 deaths per 100,000.

Yes, but: Gun homicide rates were higher overall in blue cities — as defined by the mayor's party affiliation — than in red ones.

• The report argues that blue cities differ from red cities when it comes to factors like population size, poverty rate and inequality, and that contrasting them doesn't yield meaningful conclusions.
The big picture: Cities also typically don't have much control over gun laws, experts say.

Gunmen shoot 2 people across from Wrigley Field​

Chicago police are looking for at least two gunmen responsible for shooting two people steps from Wrigley Field on Sunday morning.

Officers conducting a traffic stop near Clark and Addison reported hearing gunfire at 1:13 a.m., and they quickly found the first victim on a sidewalk in the 1000 block of West Addison, directly across the street from the Friendly Confines. The second victim ran into a nearby business after being injured.

No biggie... per capita 70 shootings in 3 days isn't anything to be concerned with. It's so minimal Chicago should actually stop prosecuting people
with illegal guns. Oh wait...

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT