ADVERTISEMENT

Christian Democrat or Christian Republican

sadiehawkins

HR All-American
Sep 21, 2008
Which group is most tolerable and which group is more an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. Why do words in the bible leave mortal men to interpret them in different ways. Or is the bible fake news.

I know many of both, and find both to be very tolerable in real life. I have 2 liberal annoying christian facebook friends who repost political crap, and 1 annoying conservative friend who posts political crap on facebook. I've "unfollowed" all three, but they're all delightful in person.

Which group is most tolerable and which group is more an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. Why do words in the bible leave mortal men to interpret them in different ways. Or is the bible fake news.
Both are pretty intolerable when looked at holistically and via a "mob mentality" perspective.

Personally, I'm a non-religious, Christ follower not affiliated with the Republican or Democratic party (I agree w/ certain platform aspects of each party)

A Christian who is a Democrat is probably a better way of saying it.

Christian Democrat is actually it's own political philosophy. I know because it's a political philosophy I subscribe to and it has nothing to do with the Democratic Party of the United States.

Although some of the more conservative Democrats could be considered to hold a Christian Democrat philosophy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_democracy

IMO, Christians should (But have failed miserably) at being the voice of morality, calling out the abuses of empire. Instead, Christians on both sides have simply appealed to love of empire and trying to use the sword of Government to enforce their goals.

I read a great book by Keith Giles a few years called Jesus Untangled that really gave me pause to how I interact with politics. I don't think it's wise to stand aside of politics, but I do think it is problematic to identify with a particular party. I'm currently still a registered Republican but an extremely harsh critic of Republican policies that cause harm to others (Which are currently most of them), as a result everyone accuses me of being a Democrat. My hope is that once things swing, that I'll be as impartial in calling out the Democrats for their abuses as I was the Republicans in theirs.

Old Testament vs New Testament Christians

No group is really tolerant bc cults are not typically tolerant of other beliefs (this includes all religions).

Both are pretty intolerable when looked at holistically and via a "mob mentality" perspective.

Personally, I'm a non-religious, Christ follower not affiliated with the Republican or Democratic party (I agree w/ certain platform aspects of each party)
IMO we need more of these, separate from the church too.. The church is hardly aligned with the teaching of Jesus anymore! Sad..

IMO we need more of these, separate from the church too.. The church is hardly aligned with the teaching of Jesus anymore! Sad..
That's because the Church isn't the "building" most think it is today. Christ challenged religion at every turn...not sure how that got missed. Irks the crap outta me, though.

Religion is too much, "In order to" rather than "because of". In other words, religion says "do this in order to (fill in the blank). Christ says do this because of...in other words, love others because Christ first loved you, etc.

That's because the Church isn't the "building" most think it is today. Christ challenged religion at every turn...not sure how that got missed. Irks the crap outta me, though.

Religion is too much, "In order to" rather than "because of". In other words, religion says "do this in order to (fill in the blank). Christ says do this because of...in other words, love others because Christ first loved you, etc.

That's what they claim, but in truth, most Christians today are far more attracted to the law based, New Israel, Empire building viewpoint of the Old Testament than they are with the Grace and Kingdom living ways of the New Testament as a way of social policy. Of course they love grace when they sin, but they refuse to even consider the ways of love as policy for others or for the government to implement.

That's what they claim, but in truth, most Christians today are far more attracted to the law based, New Israel, Empire building viewpoint of the Old Testament than they are with the Grace and Kingdom living ways of the New Testament as a way of social policy. Of course they love grace when they sin, but they refuse to even consider the ways of love as policy for others or for the government to implement.
tenor.gif

I see a lot of people say this, but I know what happens at my (Catholic) church. Yeah, we have our issue(s), I am aware of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT