ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Beathard is 49'ers STARTING QB; He entered game on Sep 23 & his 1st Pass was TD Pass to Kittle

Here are a few examples of Mabin getting destroyed on Twitter:

1. Richie Mulbrook‏@rmulbrook7 19m19 minutes ago
    Greg Mabin is not good at
    1f3c8.png
    don’t know why he played over Josh Jackson at Iowa. Dumbfounded how that guy is on an NFL roster

0 replies1 retweet2 likes

2. in dire need of gf‏@tnorman1998 19m19 minutes ago
    Greg Mabin is dog shit.

0 replies2 retweets2 likes

3. Niner Noise‏Verified account@SFNinerNoise 24m24 minutes ago
    So much for that. Greg Mabin gets picked on and it works for the #Packers. At least the league will be happy with the ratings. #49ers winning wouldn't have fit the narrative. #SFvsGB

0 replies1 retweet4 likes

4. Jake ‏@darkra02 23m23 minutes ago
    Jake Retweeted Jake

Who thought drafting Greg Mabin was even a good idea lol. Dude was a bust even @ Iowa
Lol a few people straight posting misinformation because they're mad. I think one of them was an Iowa fan too......

Be accurate. That's all I ask. It's not that hard to not be lazy, and know what you're ranting about.

I only saw first half, and CJ looked great. Fumble on return, then a fumble on a reception. Those aren't on CJ. Those are two chances to get more points. Did they stop passing in the second half? He had almost 200 yards passing at the half.

OK, honest question, because others (outside of us Hawk Homers) 'fault' CJ for the last pass; to me it doesn't seem like that big of a boo-boo. He had roughly 1-1.5 seconds from the snap to make the decision with the ball. Single coverage. Let's say he tucks it and takes the sack--with everyone in green in his face--instead of taking the shot. They weren't in field goal range (play started from the GB 46). They certainly were going to punt had be been sacked or incomplete. There is talk that Kittle was open near the first down line, but I honestly didn't see him. Sure the pass could've been thrown more towards the sideline to give the receiver a chance to "run under" it, and further away from the coverage, but to me this doesn't seem like the blunder that weighed heavily in them losing as some are making. It's potentially caught, incomplete and you punt anyway, or it's picked and it's as good (or maybe better) than a punt.
I say this as a mild Pack fan, but wanting to see the former Hawks do well.

Decent pass,.. defender made a good move,... wasn't a catch,... didn't matter though because they would have been punting anyway,... terrible call on Sherman to extend the GB drive,... this loss is on the 49ers defense....

OK, honest question, because others (outside of us Hawk Homers) 'fault' CJ for the last pass; to me it doesn't seem like that big of a boo-boo. He had roughly 1-1.5 seconds from the snap to make the decision with the ball. Single coverage. Let's say he tucks it and takes the sack--with everyone in green in his face--instead of taking the shot. They weren't in field goal range (play started from the GB 46). They certainly were going to punt had be been sacked or incomplete. There is talk that Kittle was open near the first down line, but I honestly didn't see him. Sure the pass could've been thrown more towards the sideline to give the receiver a chance to "run under" it, and further away from the coverage, but to me this doesn't seem like the blunder that weighed heavily in them losing as some are making. It's potentially caught, incomplete and you punt anyway, or it's picked and it's as good (or maybe better) than a punt.
I say this as a mild Pack fan, but wanting to see the former Hawks do well.
Kittle wasnt open and was at CJ left. He ran to the line to gain and sat there. Defender was right there. Other WR on the left ran a 10 yard slant across the middle. Meanwhile, the WRs to the right both ran down field. One one the post the other a 10 or 15 yard out pattern. Nobody changed their route to account dor the blitz. All out blitz was heavy from the right side. And the middle of the field was wide open. Wouldve like to see Kittle motion back to the right and maybe chip or release across the middle. Wouldve been a huge gain. But, the throw punt wanst the worst thing in the world. The 4 possessions leading up to that, hurt their chances of winning more.

Unpopular view here but if you turn a receiver and alter their route like Sherman did it stands a solid chance of getting called in today's NFL. That doesn't mean I agree with the call, just how it is and the interception was essentially a punt.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Unpopular view here but if you turn a receiver and alter their route like Sherman did it stands a solid chance of getting called in today's NFL. That doesn't mean I agree with the call, just how it is and the interception was essentially a punt.
My only beef with the Sherm call, was the timing of the call itself... if its the first quarter, does that flag get thrown? Im not sold that it does. And that for me, is the fallacy of football. Game situations can dictate the manner in which the game is offciated.

The playcalling on the niners last drive was terrible. Ball at midfield, 3 timeouts left, GB zero timeouts left and they dont run the ball once after gashing them all night on the ground. They also ran minimal time off the clock. That has to be either we're winning on this drive or going to OT.

The playcalling on the niners last drive was terrible. Ball at midfield, 3 timeouts left, GB zero timeouts left and they dont run the ball once after gashing them all night on the ground. They also ran minimal time off the clock. That has to be either we're winning on this drive or going to OT.
I thought the ran on the first play. Which for me was the only time i wouldve thrown. Packers were selling out to stop the run and i thought they stop the runner at the line.

That’s what I was thinking, got it down to the 20 yard line?
10 yard line.

Here is where there might be a slight controversy:

“San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan said Beathard had four options on the play. He didn't pick the right one.”

Ruh-Roh!

I thought the ran on the first play. Which for me was the only time i wouldve thrown. Packers were selling out to stop the run and i thought they stop the runner at the line.

Short pass to Kittle for 7 yards which was complete. So as good as a run.

This. This. This.

You can blame CJ for one bad pass... or you can blame the defense for losing a game in which their offense put up 30 points.

Terrible. I’m not even a 9ers fan and they are frustrating to watch

10 yard line.

“San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan said Beathard had four options on the play. He didn't pick the right one.”

Ruh-Roh!
I think CJ owned it in his post game presser... made the comment that when it works its gold, when it fails its a disaster.

My only beef with the Sherm call, was the timing of the call itself... if its the first quarter, does that flag get thrown? Im not sold that it does. And that for me, is the fallacy of football. Game situations can dictate the manner in which the game is offciated.

Very true, some crews will throw it early to establish how the game is going to be called, most will not and will alter a game like last night.

Very true, some crews will throw it early to establish how the game is going to be called, most will not and will alter a game like last night.
You know... i was texting with a buddy last night, and as badly as i wanted the 49ers to win, i told him i wasnt sure if they derserved it. Same with GB... SF played well for 30 minutes and CJ played the best football i have seen him play. Then the second half kicked off and SF offense went into a shell and settled for FGs.

Yep, I've seen less than that get called.

10 yard line.

Ruh-Roh!
I hope Shanahan was critical of the 2 San Fran fumbles, as well

CJ had one INT for the game; that was a big improvement for him; unfortunately the turnover happened right before Rodgers' game winning drive

C.J. Beathard, 49ers offense fade down the stretch of loss to Packers
By Matt Maiocco October 15, 2018 10:32 PM

GREEN BAY, Wis. – C.J. Beathard saw the all-out blitz and went for the home run.

Instead, it turned into the type of play that has come to symbolize the 49ers of 2018.

Beathard threw deep for Marquise Goodwin before the Green Bay Packers' blitz arrived. His pass was underthrown and defensive back Kevin King made the interception. The turnover set up Aaron Rodgers for the game-winning drive as the Green Bay Packers rallied for a 33-30 victory on Monday night at Lambeau Field.

“There’s a lot of choices there against an all-out blitz,” 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said. “[Beathard] definitely chose the wrong one.”

Said Beathard, “It was an all-out blitz and it was something me and ‘Quise worked on. He’s just running by the guy. It’s a play if you hit it, it looks great.

“I felt I obviously could’ve put it in a better spot, if I could have it back.”

One week after committing five turnovers in a loss to the Arizona Cardinals, the 49ers had three giveaways and no takeaways in the loss to the Packers.

Beathard, making his third start of the season after replacing an injured Jimmy Garoppolo,made a lot of plays. He completed 16 of 23 pass attempts for 245 yards and two touchdowns and one interception.

“We have 100-percent confidence in C.J.,” 49ers left tackle Joe Staley said. “Everyone else thinks of him as a backup. He’s not a backup. The guy’s a starter. He runs our offense really well. He knows what he’s doing. He’s trying to make a play against one-on-one coverage to Marquise down the field, and he tried to let him make a play.”

There is no question Beathard is the 49ers’ starting quarterback.
And there is no question that Nick Mullens is the backup, either. The 49ers would like to add a third quarterback to be in the building if the health of the team allows for it, Shanahan said. The 49ers decided, when they have the opportunity, they will sign veteran free agent Tom Savage over Matt Simms, a source told NBC Sports Bay Area.

Beathard showed a lot of promise on Monday, but the offense failed to come up with the plays that could have won the game on the 49ers’ final two possessions of the game.

The 49ers took over with 4:06 remaining in regulation with a seven-point lead. But a three-and-out gave the ball back to Rodgers, who promptly led Green Bay to the game-tying touchdown two minutes later.

Then, the 49ers had an opportunity for the victory when they took over at their own 47-yard line with 1:49 remaining after Richie James had a 32-yard return with a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness tacked on at the end of the return.

But, again, the 49ers failed to achieve a first down. After Beathard hit tight end George Kittle for 7 yards, Beathard’s pass was batted down at the line of scrimmage and he threw the interception on a third-and-3 situation.

“We just didn’t execute those last two drives, and we had an opportunity to come out with a win,” Staley said. “We were running the ball really well. Then on the last two drives it was three and out. That’s the story of the game for us. It’s frustrating to go three and out when we were playing so well the whole game.”

With Matt Breida still nursing a sore ankle, speedster Raheem Mostert saw a lot of action instead of veteran Alfred Morris. Mostert came through with a career day, gaining 87 yards on 12 rushing attempts. But on the final two drives, he carried just once for minus-1 yard.

“Yeah, it hurts,” Beathard said. “It’s tough because you’re so close. You feel like you could’ve and should’ve won the game. But you got to get back on the horse and move on to next week.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/cj-beathard-49ers-offense-fade-down-stretch-loss-packers

If CJ had the supporting cast last year's higher draft picks have, I have to think he would compare favorably.

49ers report card: Grading offense, defense in 33-30 loss to Packers

GREEN BAY, Wis. – What looked as if it might be an uplifting victory for a team in need of a little good news, instead turned into another heart-wrenching loss for the 49ers.

The Green Bay Packers have Aaron Rodgers. He was the best player on the field, and he made plays in the clutch when the 49ers were looking for someone to step up. The Packers rallied for 10 points in the final two minutes to pull out a 33-30 victory over the 49ers on Monday night at Lambeau Field.

Here are the 49ers’ final grades for the evening.

Rushing offense

Clearly, the 49ers thought they had a speed advantage against the Packers, who proved to be susceptible to the outside zone runs. Matt Breida was banged up with a problematic ankle, but he still managed to gain 61 yards on 14 rushing attempts. Speedster Raheem Mostert had a career game with 87 yards on 12 carries, as he replaced Alfred Morris as Breida's sidekick.

But the 49ers did not get the yards on the ground when they were needed. On the final two drives, Mostert had one carry for minus-1 yard.

Grade: B-plus

Passing offense

C.J. Beathard was very good for most of the game, but he made two costly mistakes in the fourth quarter. He failed to hit a wide-open George Kittle on a third-down play that would have extended a drive deep in Green Bay territory. The 49ers ended up settling for a field goal.

Beathard’s only interception came on his final pass of the game against an all-out blitz. Head coach Kyle Shanahan said Beathard could have chosen other, better options.

Grade: B

Rushing Defense

The Packers averaged 5.5 yards on their 21 rushing attempts. Rodgers had three big scrambles that picked up a combined 34 yards, including a 21-yarder on the game-winning drive.

Grade: C-plus

Passing Defense

As well as the 49ers played in some stretches, they also played very poorly at other parts of the game. Rodgers barely completed 50 percent of his passes, but he threw for 425 yards and two touchdowns. The 49ers also did not generate any takeaways for the second game in a row.

There were still too many blown coverages, and Richard Sherman was called for an illegal contact penalty that kept Green Bay’s game-winning drive alive. After Jimmie Ward left the game in the fourth quarter with a hamstring injury, Rodgers went after his replacement, Greg Mabin.

Grade: D

Special Teams

Rookie D.J. Reed lost a fumble in the first quarter on a kickoff return after the Packers tied the score at 7-7. Green Bay scored a field goal off James’ turnover. He was benched in favor of Richie James for the remainder of the game. James had a 32-yard return late in the game, that could have been big if the offense had put together a couple of first downs and moved into position for a game-winning FG attempt.

Robbie Gould made all three of his field-goal attempts, and Bradley Pinion averaged a respectable 40.0 net on three punts.

Grade: C

Overall

Few expected the 49ers to be competitive. They were, and, frankly, they should have won the game. Instead, it was another agonizing loss for the 49ers, who fall to 1-5 on the season.

Again, the 49ers lost the turnover battle. They had three giveaways and no takeaways. The defense, at times, played well, and, at times, appeared confused. One could make a case that Shanahan should have gone back to the run game on the final drive, especially after a 7-yard pass to George Kittle on first down near midfield.

This could be a difficult one to brush aside. And, next up, the Los Angeles Rams come to Levi’s Stadium.

Grade: C-minus

WR Marquise Goodwin on his 67-yard touchdown catch from CJ Beathard:

“Man, I didn’t even know how long it was. C.J. has that cannon. He let it go, and 67 yards later, it is a touchdown. The offensive line held up in protection. It was just C.J. believing in me enough to throw the ball, and that I would beat the safety and we made it happen.”

OL Joe Staley on his confidence in Beathard after the late interception:

“We have 100 percent confidence in C.J. Everyone else thinks of him as a backup. He is not a backup. The guy is a starter. He runs our offense really, really well. The guy was trying to make a play. It was one-on-one coverage down the field with Marquise. He was trying to let his guy make a play. We have 100 percent confidence in C.J. We can’t go two series of three-and-outs at the end of the game. It is on everybody, not just one person.”

49ers notes: C.J. Beathard learns lessons in falling short of upset win
By Matt Maiocco October 17, 2018 8:33 AM

Quarterback C.J. Beathard put the 49ers in position to win Monday night at Lambeau Field.

But like everyone else in a position to contribute, he did not do enough to prevent the 49ers from a 33-30 gut-punch of a lossto Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

“I thought C.J. did some real good things. C.J., he was one of the reasons that I thought we had a chance to win that game,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan after reviewing the game film.

“He made some big plays throughout the game, kept the chains moving a number of times for us. There’s a couple of plays at the end that I know he’d like to have back where he had a couple of opportunities that he missed. But he also had a few opportunities early in the game that he made which was one of the reasons we were in the position that we were.”

The most glaring physical mistake came on a third-and-4 from the Green Bay 24 early in the fourth quarter. Tight end George Kittle was all alone on the right side of the field for an easy first down, but Beathard overthrew him. The 49ers settled for Robbie Gould’s 43-yard field goal.

Beathard completed 16 of 23 pass attempts for 245 yards with two touchdown passes to Marquise Goodwin and one interception for a passer rating of 115.3.

On a third-and-3 situation from the Green Bay 46 with approximately a minute remaining in regulation of a tie game, Beathard tried to hit Goodwin deep against an all-out blitz. His pass was underthrown and intercepted. The interception itself was not a big deal, considering it came on third down and penned the Packers back at the 10-yard line. But Beathard likely could have hit Kittle with a quick pass for the first down.

“I was proud of how he played,” Shanahan said of Beathard. “But there’s definitely things he can learn from and I think he will. It’s just that’s what goes with playing in this league. You’ve got to take all of the lessons you learn, whether good or bad, and you’ve got to make sure you turn them into positives and hopefully they can make you a better player.”

DpuRkSTUUAAAMzj.jpg

49ers are struggling again

CJ has been sacked 4 times so far as the 2nd half has just started and the 49ers went 3 and out.

Here are CJ's stats for the 1st half PLUS one series to start the 2nd half:

i

San Francisco Passing (so far)

C.J. Beathard 10/15, 121 yds, 1 TD pass, 1 INT, Sacked 4 times for a loss of 27 yds

Kittle and CJ heading to the field to start the game

CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LARGER VIEW

DqDq-WzX0AUbA5Y.jpg

DqDrBz7XQAIATfF.jpg

CJ Beathard to George Kittle for the 49er TD right before half time. This TD cut the Rams lead to 22-7.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT