ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick Updates: STARTED Feb 21, 18 & 10. OUT Feb 13. Practiced Feb 8 & 9. Jon Rothstein: "Iowa BADLY Misses CJ."

Wow, he's THAT valuable to Iowa?

Kid is a baller, no doubt, but he's not even averaging 10 ppg.

Maybe some cohesive defense could make up for some of his loss? Lol, defense?😆😆😆
Maybe look at how Iowa did with him and without him and then get back to us......

Reactions: warriors dad
and his teammates have said he does not take enough shots (he's too unselfish)
He makes everyone better. spaces the floor better, calms down the offense, and plays solid defense. Hope he can get healthy soon. The freshman are learning, but there are some growing pains with them out there. Ulis and Perkins need to drive and shoot and look for a shot.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
He makes everyone better. spaces the floor better, calms down the offense, and plays solid defense. Hope he can get healthy soon. The freshman are learning, but there are some growing pains with them out there. Ulis and Perkins need to drive and shoot and look for a shot.
teams have one less weapon to worry about, thats for sure

wasn't it Underwood that said CJ was gonna be a pain in the a$$ for the next several years?

Defensively is not what I am talking about here. I am talking about team play overall. We were a 2 loss team before he got hurt.
And I’m saying we were 55 spots better defensively with him on the floor agreeing that him playing likely leads us to less losses.

Agree, would be nice to know if there truly is a chance for him to get fully healthy this year or if he's going to be hobbled. Sucks to be in the same twilight zone as last year when this happened. I guess hope for same outcome where he was just back playing well after a month off.

Still a game day decision?

C.J. Is done for the season. Might make the ncaa tournament, IF the Hawks do.

If it is not, it will be hard to win many of the remaining games the way we are playing
Yeah when he went out for injury we were what.. 83rd in defense?
I think it's safe to say that CJ helps us on both sides of the ball...

This day to day stuff is getting old. Wish Fran (the other one) would tell us what's going on. We're tough enough to handle the truth.
Agree, would be nice to know if there truly is a chance for him to get fully healthy this year or if he's going to be hobbled. Sucks to be in the same twilight zone as last year when this happened. I guess hope for same outcome where he was just back playing well after a month off.

Per reports, Fran stated during his radio show tonight ("Hawk Talk with Fran McCaffery") that CJ practiced today.

Fran stated that he is hopeful CJ can play Wednesday against Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Shuffle the lineup Fran. CJ is more of a 2 guard and Murray is a freshman 3 or 4. Murray is really good but does not replace CJ's ability to create off the bounce. To compensate, Fran needs to play Perkins or Ulis with Murray. Sit Connor and bring him in with the second unit. CJ wasn't super dynamic, but he was good enough to create his own shots or good looks for others off the bounce. That dynamic is missing which has accentuated the gaps Jbo and Connor have.

Bring Connor in with Pmac, Nunge, Joe T. and Ulis or Perkins . Let them trap and press with Ulis, Joe T. and Pmac with Nunge at the back. Hell, I would even throw Josh O. out there. He may be raw but he is a big body and can hit the boards. It's all hands on deck IMO.

This is 100% speculation, but what are the chances that CJF has some kind of ligament problem requiring surgery and Fran is being vague to avoid lying? There are many tiny ligaments in the foot (lisfranc, etc) that do nothing but enhance stability and won't necessarily render the foot unusable if injured. Recovery time for any kind of ligament surgery is usually 4 months or more, which would take him out for the season.

Perhaps he is being given the option to hold off on surgery and play in games where he feels the pain is bearable?

Another good article from the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Iowa, led by senior All-American and Player of the Year candidate Luka Garza at center, is considered a Final Four contender but has not played like it without the CovCath grad. The sophomore guard hasn’t played much since suffering a lower leg injury in the Hawkeyes’ 96-73 win at Northwestern on Jan. 17.

When Fredrick has been healthy, he’s been in the starting lineup in every game in the last two seasons. But he missed six games last season, and the second halves of two others. The Hawkeyes are 30-11 in the games when he has played, 4-4 in the games he hasn’t played. They are 1-3 in games when he only played one half.

Fredrick is a 48.6 percent shooter for his career, 47.4 percent in 3-pointers. Fredrick is averaging 8.7 points this season and is a 50 percent 3-point shooter, 48.5 percent overall. His defense has also been lauded.

Fredrick’s presence on the floor made it harder for teams to focus on Garza in the paint, and lately, he has been replaced on the floor by lesser shooters or big men.

Fredrick currently has a total of 37 assists to just four turnovers this season and is also shooting 50 percent from three-point range. His presence alone helps create less double teams from opponents on Luka Garza in the low post and also gives Iowa another long-distance shooter to help space the floor alongside both Jordan Bohannon and Joe Wieskamp.

Fredrick played 11 minutes against Michigan State Feb. 2 in an 84-78 win by Iowa, its only one since Jan. 17, but his presence affected the game.

“The Fredrick kid plays; wasn’t supposed to play,” Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said that night. “That changed who we were supposed to double off of.”

A statistical analysis by IowaCollegeHoops.com showed that all three regular starting guards have drop-offs in their shooting during the last two seasons when Fredrick isn’t with them.

Wieskamp shoots 46.1 percent from the floor with Fredrick the last two seasons and 40.6 without, including 40 percent from 3 with and 34.8 without.

Bohannon shooting 36.7 percent from the floor with Fredrick and 34.1 without, including 37.4 from three with him and 32.4 without.

McCaffery shoots 42.3 percent from the floor with Fredrick and 27.9 without, though the numbers from three are about the same (33.3 to 32.4).

The Full Story:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurt Warner
Sure he's only averaging 9 PPG but if you've seen the games the past two years - you know that CJ is an abolute baller and has come up clutch for this team so many times. He brings so many positives to this team that don't show up in the stat sheet.

Sure he's only averaging 9 PPG but if you've seen the games the past two years - you know that CJ is an abolute baller and has come up clutch for this team so many times. He brings so many positives to this team that don't show up in the stat sheet.
Anyone that judges a player's worth simply by the number of points he scores obviously does not understand the game.
see my post above from the Cincinnati Enquirer. I posted the big things that they point out, such as:

* Whether CJ plays affects opponents' strategy. When Izzo found out CJ was playing? “That changed who we were supposed to double off of.”

* His defense has been lauded.

* Fredrick’s presence on the floor makes it harder for teams to focus on Garza in the paint

* Lately, CJ has been replaced on the floor by lesser shooters or big men.

* Iowa is 30-11 in the games when he has played, 4-4 in the games he hasn’t played. They are 1-3 in games when he only played one half.

* Fredrick is a 48.6 percent shooter for his career, 47.4 percent in 3-pointers. Fredrick is averaging 8.7 points this season and is a 50 percent 3-point shooter, 48.5 percent overall.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Anyone that judges a player's worth simply by the number of points he scores obviously does not understand the game.
Best post of 2021. Seriously, I don't understand the PPG warriors that judge everything on that alone.

This day to day stuff is getting old. Wish Fran (the other one) would tell us what's going on. We're tough enough to handle the truth.
LOL! I'm sorry but the thought that any coach of a D! athletic team should somehow be concerned with informing the fans, (fanatics) of the team on the health condition of players. Really? Why is it of some importance that WE know? Are we going to have some input on the games in the future? The ONLY thing Fran needs to be concerning himself with is getting a spark back in his players and turning this around. Thats what he's paid for......

Sounds like a longer term injury that flares up (lisfranc? turf toe? ligaments, plantar fascitis?). Poor kid has been banged up all his career, has he had issues with both feet or is this the same one as last year?

LOL! I'm sorry but the thought that any coach of a D! athletic team should somehow be concerned with informing the fans, (fanatics) of the team on the health condition of players. Really? Why is it of some importance that WE know? Are we going to have some input on the games in the future? The ONLY thing Fran needs to be concerning himself with is getting a spark back in his players and turning this around. Thats what he's paid for......
Agree with the "Spark" comment. What's wrong with some truth?

Unless CJF's injury is something that will require surgery after the season - SIT him for the next couple of weeks. Save him for the final stretch.

Playing on a nagging injury that needs time to heal only prolongs the injury.

If we do not have CJ for the tourney, then I am not nearly as hopefully as what we can do.

yes, I am hopeful ;)

just hope CJ is not rushed out there where there is ANOTHER set back

ADVERTISEMENT