ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick Updates: STARTED Feb 21, 18 & 10. OUT Feb 13. Practiced Feb 8 & 9. Jon Rothstein: "Iowa BADLY Misses CJ."

Agree with the "Spark" comment. What's wrong with some truth?
Nothing wrong with the truth, its just that some fans seem to think the coaches are somehow obligated to keep the fans "in the loop" as to whats going on with the players, and I'm not sure where that comes from. We have NO need to know. Watch the games, and enjoy and root for the team or don't. We will never have unfettered access to these programs , nor should we.....

As of Tuesday afternoon, it appeared CJ Fredrick would be able to play for the Iowa men’s basketball team against Rutgers Wednesday night at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

“I think he’s going to play. I hope he plays,” Iowa Coach Fran McCaffery said Tuesday. “But he’s only going to play if he feels right. If he’s in pain and discomfort and can’t go, then he won’t go.”

“I thought he looked good (in Monday’s practice),” Hawkeyes guard Connor McCaffery said. “He made shots, he drove to the basket, and he looked like himself to me.”

We have NO need to know.
As a fan who follows this team, I'd like to know. I may not be the only one. Unfettered access, as you say, isn't needed, but Fran could simply say what the injury is and the speculation would be put to rest. Fran has a tendency to be "Tight-lipped" about things.

Since it is a lower leg injury, makes me wonder if it could be a fibula fracture. People can still play with that injury, it is just a matter of how much pain can a person tolerate.
Almost positive its an ankle.
There have been reports that is is left ankle
My question is, why do they keep calling it a lower leg injury and not a sprained ankle/high ankle sprain? It just sounds fishy to me.
That's what I've been saying also,.. In basketball a rolled ankle is probably the most common injury going and nobody would ever refer to it as a "lower leg injury"...
Everybody is purposely vague about injuries in sports now.
Hope it is not a high ankle sprain.
I thought Tuesday he was massaging his FOOT, not the ankle. I agree if it was a sprain, they would call it that.
I sure hope it is not plantar fasciitis if they were doing stuff with his foot.
Let's go, CJ! Wrap that ankle up and get out there!
Sounds like a longer term injury that flares up (lisfranc? turf toe? ligaments, plantar fascitis?)

He's got some sort of rubber bag that he is rolling his foot back and forth over. Saw it when they showed the sideline last game. Looks like ankle or foot to me.

He's got some sort of rubber bag that he is rolling his foot back and forth over. Saw it when they showed the sideline last game. Looks like ankle or foot to me.

My wife had to use something similar to that when she had plantar fasciitis.

Earlier reports were that if was left ankle. but i think you are on to something because I saw the same video where he was rolling his foot (with his shoe still on) over a ball type thing. Typically you would be doing it w/ your bare foot, as shown below

image.axd

Treatment

pftreat.jpg

Last edited:
Iowa is 29-9 when CJ Fredrick is available for a whole game, 4-8 when he's not.

This season? Iowa is 13-2 when CJ is available for a whole game, & 0-4 when he is not.

Yikes.

The story:

Nothing wrong with the truth, its just that some fans seem to think the coaches are somehow obligated to keep the fans "in the loop" as to whats going on with the players, and I'm not sure where that comes from. We have NO need to know. Watch the games, and enjoy and root for the team or don't. We will never have unfettered access to these programs , nor should we.....
As a fan who follows this team, I'd like to know. I may not be the only one. Unfettered access, as you say, isn't needed, but Fran could simply say what the injury is and the speculation would be put to rest. Fran has a tendency to be "Tight-lipped" about things.
My wife had to use something similar to that when she had plantar fasciitis.

More is slowly coming out....

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Yep, it's some kind of permanent issue, probably requiring surgery to actually fix. Well, crap.

After the game CJ was asked about this and indicated that this was only a tape issue,.. Plans to play Saturday.

edit: Sorry I see now that someone else already commented on this,.. my bad.
thank god

like everyone, i just want to see this team healthy. will we win the NCAA tournament? Very, very small chance. But it sure would be nice to go down swinging w/ all of our weapons.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
thank god

like everyone, i just want to see this team healthy. will we win the NCAA tournament? Very, very small chance. But it sure would be nice to go down swinging w/ all of our weapons.

I'd just like to see this team make a deep, enjoyable run come March,.. they deserve it.

Reactions: Franisdaman
My wife is dealing with Plantar Fasciitis right now. I can imagine how uncomfortable it would be to play basketball with it. CJ is a tough dude.

Reactions: Franisdaman
My wife is dealing with Plantar Fasciitis right now. I can imagine how uncomfortable it would be to play basketball with it. CJ is a tough dude.
its interesting in what they are revealing to the public. Do you ever recall them not being more specific about an injury?

So what %age do you think CJ is right now, maybe between 60-70%? If indeed plantar fasciitis, that's a beast to overcome and even surgery doesn't help sometimes. Didn't JBo have this before the hip issues?

So what %age do you think CJ is right now, maybe between 60-70%? If indeed plantar fasciitis, that's a beast to overcome and even surgery doesn't help sometimes. Didn't JBo have this before the hip issues?
i watched the replay and CJ seemed active and hopping around pretty good

yes, JBo did have this and struggled w/ it

This video is from Jan 31, 2018 where Jordan describes his plantar fasciitis and described how some days he couldn't move when he got out of bed

Watch:

Updated Timeline:

Jan. 17 (Win):
Fredrick suffered the injury late in Iowa's win at Northwestern on Jan. 17.

Jan 21 (Loss): He started the next game, at home vs. Indiana, but was clearly laboring and played only 13 scoreless minutes. He had to shut things down at halftime.

Jan 29 (Loss): Fredrick sat out Iowa's loss at Illinois

Feb 2 (Win):, He tried to go again Tues Feb 2nd against Michigan State. Again, he was not in peak condition and finished with two points in 11 minutes. He had to shut things down at halftime.

Feb 4 (Loss): He sat out this game vs Ohio State

Feb 7 (Loss): He did not play at Indiana

Feb 10 (Win): He played 17 min vs Rutgers. 0 points, 2 reb, 3 assists

Feb 13 (Win): He did not play at Michigan State

Last season:

* Fredrick missed 6 games with two different injuries to his foot or ankle. The Hawkeyes went 4-2 in those contests.

* He also had offseason surgery on his right foot, sidelining him for six weeks.

Maybe today puts to bed the myth that IOWA must have CJF to win....

Maybe today demonstrates IOWA must have M2M defense to win....

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT