ADVERTISEMENT

Clark’s On Court Gestures

I don’t know if it was an actual “rule” or something that was “that’s just the way it was done”. I guess it was supposed to help the official scorer get the right person for a foul. Heck, guess I’m so old I didn’t even realize players don’t raise their hand any more. I think it was more of a high school thing than college. I know there are officials that post on here. Nobody raises their hand after a foul any more?
I still see it occasionally, usually when a teammate is trying to keep another teammate out of foul trouble though. Especially an important teammate like Garza it would be wise to do anything to avoid having the foul called on him so raising your hand may convince the official (again silly because the official should know who they're calling the foul on). I wouldn't say it common practice though and certainly not a rule of any sort.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
There was a rule that players had to raise their hand when a foul was called on them? Seriously? Was it like a technical foul if you just didn't do it?

"Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules
All games played under current National Federation (NFHS) rules with the following modifications":

Section 9. (a) When a foul occurs, an official shall designate the offender to the scorers and indicate with the fingers the number of free throws (if applicable) to be taken".

Here's the link to all the rules, I did not see any rule for fouling player to raise hand. You can also see the rule about gestures.
"(g) commit an unsportsmanlike foul. This includes but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: (1) disrespectfully addressing or contacting an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment;" (Clark's do raise to this level)

LINK: https://crec.unl.edu/im/rules/Basketball.pdf

"Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules
All games played under current National Federation (NFHS) rules with the following modifications":

Section 9. (a) When a foul occurs, an official shall designate the offender to the scorers and indicate with the fingers the number of free throws (if applicable) to be taken".

Here's the link to all the rules, I did not see any rule for fouling player to raise hand. You can also see the rule about gestures.
"(g) commit an unsportsmanlike foul. This includes but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: (1) disrespectfully addressing or contacting an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment;" (Clark's do raise to this level)

LINK: https://crec.unl.edu/im/rules/Basketball.pdf

Clark has never been called for any unsportsmanlike conduct and it's completely asinine to try and reofficiate her play after the fact.

That was actually a rule for the entire sport of basketball? When did this go away? Never heard of such a rule, maybe I'm just too young. Seems pretty silly as the ref should be able to identify the number of the player he/she just called a foul on.

Yes, this was a rule back in the day. And, as someone else mentioned, you could get a T if you did not raise your hand so the refs/scorer's table could see.

However, I am old enough to remember that numbers in high school never included a number higher than 5 (so refs could use their hands to show the number to scorer's table) and that road teams always had odd numbers and home teams had even numbers. That way, no two players ever had the same number while on the floor.

cool-story-bro-4.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT