ADVERTISEMENT

Clark's Shooting Motion

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
I'm not sure if I would teach someone to use the same shooting motion as Clark's. She almost never goes straight up and down and lands on her left leg more than both legs and fades to her left. What is more, given that she doesn't have the greatest shooting mechanics I wonder how she is able to do what, and how, she is able to generate enough power with using almost always just one leg. I think it makes her even more great, special, and unique.

I'm not sure if I would teach someone to use the same shooting motion as Clark's. She almost never goes straight up and down and lands on her left leg more than both legs and fades to her left. What is more, given that she doesn't have the greatest shooting mechanics I wonder how she is able to do what, and how, she is able to generate enough power with using almost always just one leg. I think it makes her even more great, special, and unique.

caitlin-clark-of-the-iowa-hawkeyes-celebrates-advancing-to-news-photo-1680110728.jpg

If you look at her shoulders and arms, particularly her upper arms, they are much better defined than most women's.

Notice how she keeps her accuracy through the end of the game. Women basketball players often demonstrate a lot of poor shot accuracy toward the final minutes of a game (relative to men), likely because their arms are getting too tired.

I feel that her exceptional upper arm strength and arm muscle endurance are her secret weapon.

I know she credits her leg strength that helps her launch her logo 3s to playing soccer. Since you only kick with one leg in soccer maybe that’s why she sometimes lands on one leg more than the other and fades to the side? Assuming she’s right-footed that would explain her having more of a tendency to lean left.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Defenses have to either take away her right hand drive or her step back to the left three. It’s how she creates space. There are times she needs a few shots to get dialed in. But she gets there 99% of the time.

Reactions: Tunadog
caitlin-clark-of-the-iowa-hawkeyes-celebrates-advancing-to-news-photo-1680110728.jpg

If you look at her shoulders and arms, particularly her upper arms, they are much better defined than most women's.

Notice how she keeps her accuracy through the end of the game. Women basketball players often demonstrate a lot of poor shot accuracy toward the final minutes of a game (relative to men), likely because their arms are getting too tired.

I feel that her exceptional upper arm strength and arm muscle endurance are her secret weapon.
I’m amazed at how much zing she gets on her long passes. Often with just one arm. Not a lot of people can throw it that hard, or that accurately. She looks scrawny to me, but strength is sometimes deceiving.

Defenses have to either take away her right hand drive or her step back to the left three. It’s how she creates space. There are times she needs a few shots to get dialed in. But she gets there 99% of the time.

It’s a lose-lose scenario. If they take away the right hand drive they leave open the step back 3. If they crowd here to atop the step back 3, they leave themselves open to her drive.

Have you not been listening to all the Bball analysts talk about CC loving the step back jump to her left. That is why she doesnt go straight up and down like a classic jump shooter and it is why she lands on her left leg a little more.

I have seen her on TV warming up, even yesterday's game, and she was mainly taking mostly normal jump shots straight up and down.

I’m amazed at how much zing she gets on her long passes. Often with just one arm. Not a lot of people can throw it that hard, or that accurately. She looks scrawny to me, but strength is sometimes deceiving.
It must be your TV. She isnt scrawny at 6 ft tall and she has muscular legs and arms. She played BBall with her brothers and other guys a whole lot the story goes so she has an aggressive nature in playing bball.

It must be your TV. She isnt scrawny at 6 ft tall and she has muscular legs and arms. She played BBall with her brothers and other guys a whole lot the story goes so she has an aggressive nature in playing bball.
You watch her last season vs. today and it's pretty easy to tell she did some off season work in the weight room.

As a middle school basketball coach, I’m less concerned about shaping their motions to look better, but more about being consistent with it.

It’s when they change the angle of their guide hand each time is where it’s a major problem

One of my best shooters has a really funky release, but it works so there’s no need to mess with it

I know she credits her leg strength that helps her launch her logo 3s to playing soccer. Since you only kick with one leg in soccer maybe that’s why she sometimes lands on one leg more than the other and fades to the side? Assuming she’s right-footed that would explain her having more of a tendency to lean left.

As a hs soccer coach, I love how often she talks about soccer helping her game. CSB- we were supposed to play her in the state tournament but she wasn't able to play. Just happened to be playing for the USA in the world cup for her age group, haha.

Anyway, there are a lot of things that correlate from soccer to basketball but your idea might be a bit of a stretch, albeit a good thought. In soccer you are usually striking through the ball with momentum going forward, at least with shots or balls hit over distance. Her side to side motion would not be something that you would ever strike a ball with. Also, she would have to hit a lot of balls with her right and left foot. Your theory is certainly interesting but I'm not sure I'd agree.

As a middle school basketball coach, I’m less concerned about shaping their motions to look better, but more about being consistent with it.

It’s when they change the angle of their guide hand each time is where it’s a major problem

One of my best shooters has a really funky release, but it works so there’s no need to mess with it

100% agree with this. As a school ball coach, I hardly mess with their shots. I get them for 6 weeks where as their club coach gets them all the time. I will point out and try to tweak mechanics (like guide hand, more arch, using legs, consistently squaring up to the basket, etc...) but I don't have time to breakdown and reconstruct a shot.

As a hs soccer coach, I love how often she talks about soccer helping her game. CSB- we were supposed to play her in the state tournament but she wasn't able to play. Just happened to be playing for the USA in the world cup for her age group, haha.

Anyway, there are a lot of things that correlate from soccer to basketball but your idea might be a bit of a stretch, albeit a good thought. In soccer you are usually striking through the ball with momentum going forward, at least with shots or balls hit over distance. Her side to side motion would not be something that you would ever strike a ball with. Also, she would have to hit a lot of balls with her right and left foot. Your theory is certainly interesting but I'm not sure I'd agree.
Thank you for your insight as I don’t know very much about soccer and it was a thought I had after reading the original post. Out of curiosity, what things do you feel correlate from soccer to basketball? Also, how good was Clark at soccer? I know Greenway has been recruited for soccer.

Definitely unorthodox and not the way you would teach it.
I'm sure she stays up a night worrying about how people thinks her shooting form is not perfect. Jeez people, she's the best woman college player on the planet. Enjoy the journey because there may only be this year and next.

Just making some comments. Not judging. It's just that I haven't seen a player with that kind of mechanics before. Going way back Jamaal Wilkes (“Silk”) from the Lakers had very odd mechanics, but it worked for him (hated him. I was a Larry Bird/Boston Celtic fan) to the tone of 2 NCAA Championships for UCLA, a couple with the Lakers and a 3 time All-Star.
Talking about odd, I've often wondered why big men haven't tried to learn the "Sky-Hook". Unconventional but when done right it's almost ungardible.

Reactions: oldhawk56
Thank you for your insight as I don’t know very much about soccer and it was a thought I had after reading the original post. Out of curiosity, what things do you feel correlate from soccer to basketball? Also, how good was Clark at soccer? I know Greenway has been recruited for soccer.

I'm not 100% on how good she was because I didn't get to coach against her but she was only a freshman or sophomore on a varsity team that had a lot of talent. She had to be pretty good to be able to do that. I could be wrong on this but Clark was not recruited for soccer because everyone knew she was playing basketball in college. That was the story I always heard, anyway.

As for what correlates: passing, spacing, defending, communicating, physicality. Passing is one that she constantly talks about in pressers. Seeing the angles and understanding the timing that is needed to make some of those ridiculous passes she makes splitting two defenders while hitting her player in stride. That is a type of pass that happens often in attacking situations. We practice those patterns all the time but the space is still wider than the stuff she does on the basketball floor. She is really good at understanding angles to get the ball in and how to adjust her positioning to get open looks. Defending principals are really similar as well as communication (verbal/ non- verbal). More similar on the defensive side. Finally, her aggressiveness/ physicality is so solid. She is constantly hacked, bumped, pushed and you have to work though all that in soccer, especially in scoring situations.

Although they look so different, the concepts are all identical between the two sports. The only difference is that had she chose soccer and played as a forward she wouldn't have to defend as much.

Just making some comments. Not judging. It's just that I haven't seen a player with that kind of mechanics before. Going way back Jamaal Wilkes (“Silk”) from the Lakers had very odd mechanics, but it worked for him (hated him. I was a Larry Bird/Boston Celtic fan) to the tone of 2 NCAA Championships for UCLA, a couple with the Lakers and a 3 time All-Star.
Talking about odd, I've often wondered why big men haven't tried to learn the "Sky-Hook". Unconventional but when done right it's almost ungardible.
Reggie miller clapped at the top of his shot. Shawn Marion...idk how to describe his shot. He fell asleep with the ball at his waist and someone scared him awake causing the ball to fly toward the basket from that position?

• Haha
Reactions: AlvySinger

Thanks for the insight coach

Lol uthoff had bigger arms

I agree, She should come back next season to correct it.

If you want to know how not to shoot...CM and PM. CC is most always squared up. She has line of site on release. Her release is quick and a bit like a short arm baseball pitcher (vaguely) probably comes from playing with boys and not outjumping them.. When she goes left she is squared up. Not sure what some of you are seeing. You couldn't want much more as far as where she is at on the release point. See her shoulders and hips. She likes space for her feet to land. Actually pretty darned good mechanics. Left leg goes wide after a strong right leg push off. She kicks her left foot forward to gain balance. I've coached hs basketball.

She is balanced, consistent, great line of site and a high release point.

If I was going to stop her... poke the ball on the way up, not at release point and crowd her landing. Iowa mens defenders almost always don't take away the landing and go up at release point, cause the shooters to use better form. Which is in part why teams have incredible 3 nights against FM teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: LukaDuka
100% agree with this. As a school ball coach, I hardly mess with their shots. I get them for 6 weeks where as their club coach gets them all the time. I will point out and try to tweak mechanics (like guide hand, more arch, using legs, consistently squaring up to the basket, etc...) but I don't have time to breakdown and reconstruct a shot.
apparently neither did Fran with his sons... 🤣

I don't understand how the hell she does it either. She will sometimes be running and make shots

Yeah - she’s really cut!

Agreed. Sometimes she fires a 40 foot laser pass that is all wrist. She is strong.
This is what really sets her apart when they play. She gets her teammates shots that you just do not see anywhere in the womens game. The women playing are just not used to how fast things happen or the fact that they can even happen at all.

Her mechanics are money when she shoots the corner 3. I'd watch film of her shooting from the corner and teach that.

BTW, CC is shooting nearly 40% from 3 and nearly 50% overall. I'd say her mechanics work, for her.

In no way whatsoever is she "scrawny". She's not ripped in the upper body, but she's toned. Her legs, especially thighs are muscular. As for the zing on passes, look at some of the pitchers in MLB. Some lanky dudes like Randy Johnson could really bring the cheese. Clark works hard in the off season training her body. Probably more then most female ballers. Thats where she gets her strength and endurance.

I'm sure she stays up a night worrying about how people thinks her shooting form is not perfect. Jeez people, she's the best woman college player on the planet. Enjoy the journey because there may only be this year and next.
Next is VERY doubtful. She breaks that record next month, and I'd be shocked if she's in Iowa next season.

Reactions: ichawk24
Well, any top tier player is going to be just as strong with their off leg as they are their primary leg. Something tells me that Caitlyn was probably the best player on the field in just about any soccer game she ever played.

If you want to know how not to shoot...CM and PM. CC is most always squared up. She has line of site on release. Her release is quick and a bit like a short arm baseball pitcher (vaguely) probably comes from playing with boys and not outjumping them.. When she goes left she is squared up. Not sure what some of you are seeing. You couldn't want much more as far as where she is at on the release point. See her shoulders and hips. She likes space for her feet to land. Actually pretty darned good mechanics. Left leg goes wide after a strong right leg push off. She kicks her left foot forward to gain balance. I've coached hs basketball.

She is balanced, consistent, great line of site and a high release point.

If I was going to stop her... poke the ball on the way up, not at release point and crowd her landing. Iowa mens defenders almost always don't take away the landing and go up at release point, cause the shooters to use better form. Which is in part why teams have incredible 3 nights against FM teams.
I think people get thrown off by the fact that since she gets marked so closely all the time, she's had to come up with unconventional launch angles to get shots off. She rarely tho shoots where she's not in control of what she's doing, and has simply turned her jumper into a super-quick shooting motion. On rare occasions where she gets to put up a clean shot because the defense lost her somehow, her shot looks much more traditional.
Next is VERY doubtful. She breaks that record next month, and I'd be shocked if she's in Iowa next season.

Yeah, don't get me wrong - I'd love to see her back one more year. But competitively she has very little left to prove; it's not like that NIL/sponsorship money is going to disappear when she goes to the WNBA (and likely gets more as she'd have additional markets to tap, plus the WNBA pay so the narrative that it's a money-loser if/when she goes doesn't ring true to me.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT