ADVERTISEMENT

Climbing Mt. Everest

How many 14er's have you climbed? I had a chance to summit Mt. Princeton but it was after noon and starting to cloud up so I passed.

Driven up 2 and climbed 4. Going for #5 this summer. If it goes well, might go for #6 but doubtful.

Reactions: GlenHawk
How many 14er's have you climbed? I had a chance to summit Mt. Princeton but it was after noon and starting to cloud up so I passed.
Not a ton. 6-7, including Elbert twice. I'd like to spend a lot more time out there than I do; might be part of my retirement plan now that I have a few of my kids living out there.

I'm going way out on a limb here, I claim no HORTER can accomplish Everest
There was a mercy Iowa City ED physician that made two attempts. I can’t remember his name. He took a pulse oximeter with him and when he had to turn back, a few hundred meters from the top, his oxygen saturation was 69% on supplemental oxygen. He felt good to continue but they had to turn back due to weather

There was a mercy Iowa City ED physician that made two attempts. I can’t remember his name. He took a pulse oximeter with him and when he had to turn back, a few hundred meters from the top, his oxygen saturation was 69% on supplemental oxygen. He felt good to continue but they had to turn back due to weather

Wow. I just don't see the point in risking your life for it. It basically is a big middle finger to your family and friends.

Chuck Huss. Guy tried four times!

Last edited:
Reactions: theiacowtipper
Been an avid climber/hiker from a very young age. Mostly in Colorado. Knocked off 30+ 14ers to date, including some class 4.

Everest was always a pipe dream of mine. But it has definitely lost its luster in my view in the last decade or so. I don’t want to sell anyone short because it’s still a hell of an accomplishment that takes years of preparation and training. I just don’t like how commercial it’s become. It does seem as though it’s now a status symbol for those with money. I don’t see the appeal of waiting in a big line up the mountain to tag the summit at this point.

As my kids get older and my time frees up more (which is still many years away), I do plan to start exploring other mountains/ranges throughout the world. Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua, Switzerland. Definitely some others as well. All more appealing than Everest at this point. Wouldn’t mind trekking in the Himalayas as well. Just hoping my body holds up into my 50’s and 60’s so I can still keep these ambitions.

Good flick based on "Into Thin Air" called Everest. I think it's on HBOMax.

I'd say any feat that has you walking past the dead bodies of those who didn't make it is pretty impressive.
That event took place in 1996. The weather tech has advanced so much since then that decreases the chances of being caught up in that type of weather significantly. And even then there shouldn't have been as many deaths. Both Rob Hall and Scott Fischer made poor decisions that day.

Below is a PBS doc on the same event. The Beck Weathers story is incredible.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Been an avid climber/hiker from a very young age. Mostly in Colorado. Knocked off 30+ 14ers to date, including some class 4.
What are some of your favorite 14ers to climb in Colorado?

I've climbed five to date, but I haven't done one since 2015. I knocked out most of the 'easy' ones:

1. Elbert (14,439′)
2. Quandary (14,271′)
3. Bierstadt (14,065′)
4. Grays (14,278′)
5. Torreys (14,267′)

I've climbed five to date, but I haven't done one since 2015. I knocked out most of the 'easy' ones:

1. Elbert (14,439′)
2. Quandary (14,271′)
3. Bierstadt (14,065′)
4. Grays (14,278′)
5. Torreys (14,267′)
As mentioned above I attempted Quandry and got wrecked by attempting it in a snowstorm and by the altitude. Not sure I could have made it even without the foot of snow.

Would love to do the Gray’s Torreys combo. For now I’m training for Whitney, we got a lottery slot in mid October…I’m so excited for that attempt, but damn it’s hard to train in Chicago. You just can’t simulate altitude.

Reactions: Mister_Man

1. Elbert (14,439′)
2. Quandary (14,271′)
3. Bierstadt (14,065′)
4. Grays (14,278′)
5. Torreys (14,267′)
Those are definitely five of the more popular ones. Nice thing is, once you knock those out and start hitting some of the more remote peaks, you have much more solitude and can enjoy nature and the climb/hike itself much more (at least in my opinion).

The term ‘favorite’ is a bit challenging for me to define as it relates to the peaks I’ve hit thus far. I’ll always have a soft spot for Longs Peak because it was actually my first 14er and it got me hooked at age 14. But it is Class 3, which turns some people around. It’s also in RMNP, so crowds are a bit heavier. Although many won’t make it past the Keyhole.

Some of my other favorites are:

Huron Peak: Based on the ones you’ve completed already, could be a solid one to put on your short list. If you look at the Browns Peak route (take a look at 14ers.com if you haven’t already), it actually allows you to hike this as a loop if you come down the standard route (could just go up
and down standard as well). I always prefer loops to a standard up/down if it works out.
But beautiful views at the summit of the Three Apostles and to the west of the Elk Range. Really can’t go wrong with any Collegiate Peak mountains. None are technical and all have very similar vert gain. I’ve based out of Buena Vista a few times to hit peaks in the area. La Plata and Missouri Mountain were others I enjoyed in the area.

DeCaLiBron: if you want to knock a quick four peaks off, you could do Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross just south of Breckenridge. Although I didn’t love this hike overall, it does provide another loop where you hit four 14ers in a relatively short/easy distance. Just make sure to check access and there’s a lot of private land around there.

Uncompaghre/Wetterhorn: I’ve just dipped my toes into the San Juan’s because of their distance from the front range. But love that area so much and hope to get there soon to knock more off. Just gorgeous and much fewer people.

My goal is to knock them all off before I get too old. But kids have slowed my progress on knocking them off substantially. I’d definitely check out 14ers.com if you’re trying to look up options. So many great resources there. I have yet to hit the Elks or the Sangre de Cristos so very much looking forward to discovering some of the more remote 14ers in the state.

As mentioned above I attempted Quandry and got wrecked by attempting it in a snowstorm and by the altitude. Not sure I could have made it even without the foot of snow.

Would love to do the Gray’s Torreys combo. For now I’m training for Whitney, we got a lottery slot in mid October…I’m so excited for that attempt, but damn it’s hard to train in Chicago. You just can’t simulate altitude.
Yeah, we did Quandary in early July and it was still snowy and really cold at the top. I don't think we stay up there for more than 10 minutes before heading down.

I hiked all of mine after I moved out here, so I at least had a little acclimation to the altitude. I can't image how tough it is when you're coming in from sea level. What type of training do you typically do beforehand?

Those are definitely five of the more popular ones. Nice thing is, once you knock those out and start hitting some of the more remote peaks, you have much more solitude and can enjoy nature and the climb/hike itself much more (at least in my opinion).

The term ‘favorite’ is a bit challenging for me to define as it relates to the peaks I’ve hit thus far. I’ll always have a soft spot for Longs Peak because it was actually my first 14er and it got me hooked at age 14. But it is Class 3, which turns some people around. It’s also in RMNP, so crowds are a bit heavier. Although many won’t make it past the Keyhole.

Some of my other favorites are:

Huron Peak: Based on the ones you’ve completed already, could be a solid one to put on your short list. If you look at the Browns Peak route (take a look at 14ers.com if you haven’t already), it actually allows you to hike this as a loop if you come down the standard route (could just go up
and down standard as well). I always prefer loops to a standard up/down if it works out.
But beautiful views at the summit of the Three Apostles and to the west of the Elk Range. Really can’t go wrong with any Collegiate Peak mountains. None are technical and all have very similar vert gain. I’ve based out of Buena Vista a few times to hit peaks in the area. La Plata and Missouri Mountain were others I enjoyed in the area.

DeCaLiBron: if you want to knock a quick four peaks off, you could do Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross just south of Breckenridge. Although I didn’t love this hike overall, it does provide another loop where you hit four 14ers in a relatively short/easy distance. Just make sure to check access and there’s a lot of private land around there.

Uncompaghre/Wetterhorn: I’ve just dipped my toes into the San Juan’s because of their distance from the front range. But love that area so much and hope to get there soon to knock more off. Just gorgeous and much fewer people.

My goal is to knock them all off before I get too old. But kids have slowed my progress on knocking them off substantially. I’d definitely check out 14ers.com if you’re trying to look up options. So many great resources there. I have yet to hit the Elks or the Sangre de Cristos so very much looking forward to discovering some of the more remote 14ers in the state.
Great response - thank you!

Honestly, the crowds are what kind of turned me off years ago, but to your point, we hit the most popular peaks for the sake of ease. I'm glad to hear you mentioned Longs, as that's the one we are eyeing later this summer. I have some friends who say it's one of the more beautiful 14ers.

I'll have to check the Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross hike outside Breck as well, as I have a couple of friends with places up there. Always nice to have an excuse to go spend a couple of days up in the mountains!

Reactions: WrigleyHawkeye20
Great response - thank you!

Honestly, the crowds are what kind of turned me off years ago, but to your point, we hit the most popular peaks for the sake of ease. I'm glad to hear you mentioned Longs, as that's the one we are eyeing later this summer. I have some friends who say it's one of the more beautiful 14ers.

I'll have to check the Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross hike outside Breck as well, as I have a couple of friends with places up there. Always nice to have an excuse to go spend a couple of days up in the mountains!
Longs is great! I’ve actually done it four times at this point. Just be prepared for the exposure once you get through the keyhole. It’s by no means technical. But there’s a little scrambling needed at the top of the trough and some decent cliffs/exposure through the narrows and homestretch. Hope you get it done! Is a nice summit to spend an hour or two on (as long as you beat the storms down)!

Reactions: GlenHawk
Yeah, we did Quandary in early July and it was still snowy and really cold at the top. I don't think we stay up there for more than 10 minutes before heading down.

I hiked all of mine after I moved out here, so I at least had a little acclimation to the altitude. I can't image how tough it is when you're coming in from sea level. What type of training do you typically do beforehand?
Heavy cardio, lots of stairs / usually with a weighted pack, plenty of miles on my feet is the normal routine. After failing on quandary I started looking into the Wim Hof breathing method as apparently it does work if you are consistently using it while hiking at altitude. I have experimented with it at sea level, but not sure what to make of it. People swear by it, but it seems a bit gimmicky to me.

Princeton has a "logging" road that gets you up to about 12K. Neighbors were driving up for some reason so I went along. We got to the trail that gets you to the summit, I don't believe it's really technical just a path straight to the top. But you don't want to be on it if there is rain or Tstorms about so I passed.

I believe Everest Base Camp is above 14K and you have to spend a couple of weeks "acclimating" at that altitude.
If you drove to 12k, that wouldn't have been a summit anyway. In Colorado, the unwritten rule is that you have to start at least 3000 feet below the summit to claim to have bagged it.

I'm going way out on a limb here, I claim no HORTER can accomplish Everest
If you're saying that no HORTER could jump on a plane today and accomplish this, then yeah, you're correct. But I believe that there are likely a number of people that could do it if given sufficient time to train. Its been summitted by an 80 year old, a blind guy, and a double leg amputee.

To think that no one on this board, which has a lot of members, is physically capable of doing it if given a reasonable time to train and the resources is crazy.

If you're saying that no HORTER could jump on a plane today and accomplish this, then yeah, you're correct. But I believe that there are likely a number of people that could do it if given sufficient time to train. Its been summitted by an 80 year old, a blind guy, and a double leg amputee.

To think that no one on this board, which has a lot of members, is physically capable of doing it if given a reasonable time to train and the resources is crazy.

If they are spending time on here......they don't have time to train for the summit

I climbed Mt Fuji back in 1999. Not a huge accomplishment as old people do it every year but I was pleased with myself.

A few weeks ago, I made a statement about climbing Fuji to my wife and said “You climbed Fuji??”. Somehow, in ten years of our relationship, this conversation never came up.

In fact, I have a framed, black & white photo in my office of the peak of Mt Fuji featured a statue and gate. She assumed I bought that at Target.

If you drove to 12k, that wouldn't have been a summit anyway. In Colorado, the unwritten rule is that you have to start at least 3000 feet below the summit to claim to have bagged it.
Dude, that would have been a summit for my fat ass. I wouldn't have gone down to BV or Salida and bragged about it, but I would have taken a picture.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
There is a shale pile for any of you to climb in Boone County. I'll buy a case of beer for anyone that wants to mount it. You might need a flack jacket though. Not sure if the old owner is still alive, but he liked his weapons. I have a couple of buddies that climbed it

maxresdefault.jpg

look at that flag @Whiskeydeltadeltatango

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT