ADVERTISEMENT

Close reviews and spotting the ball

Eternal Return

HR Heisman
Oct 15, 2009
Was it just me or did Iowa get the short end of the stick on just about every close call and every close first down spot (on both sides of the ball)? The goal line stop seemed to show Clement didn't get into the end zone. Would have been 4th down instead of a TD. The catch by Fant called a TD on field ... there was no way that was enough video evidence to overturn the call--I thought he caught it even after several replays. And then bad spots throughout the game. I swear, I had a feeling about halfway through the second quarter that the B10 officials were definitely giving WI the slightest edge whenever possible (B10 wanting four top 10 teams, not anything against Iowa or for Wisconsin). I don't know, but those were some crappy calls. Oh, and zero penalties by WI. I know they play clean, but I saw a few holds left on the field (on the line and in WI's secondary). JMI.

Reactions: David1979
I don't like to and rarely complain about refs but yes not sure how Fant's got overturned unless they saw video other than what was shown on TV.... and the spot on Houston's scramble for a first down was pretty rediculous....maybe he rolled over Dez and was close to the sticks but that ref came up out of nowhere and signaled first down without even looking down the line and it looked awfully close if not short to me according to the spot....was pretty bad...at least bring out the chains and humor us pal.....but whatever.

I thought the Clement TD was good. When his body contacted the ground the nose of the football was on the goal line and was a TD by rule. Fant's catch showed that after the ball contacted his hands he pulled the ball upwards which clearly showed control. How they reversed that call I can't explain nor will I ever agree with. BAU.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
You had to be at the game, but Wadley appeared to have a first down after the ball was spotted. Another official ran across the field and re-spotted the ball back. They then measured and were barely short. This may have been right before the false start on Kittle. It was really bizarre. It was almost as if he noticed it was a first down, and ran in to move the ball back(no, I don't believe that is what he was thinking.)

I recall that play where Wadley went OB to the left side. Based on the replay that was shown he should have been spotted past the sticks. The initial spot was bad and the re-spot was even worse. Should have been reviewed but nothing. BAU.

Reactions: David1979
I don't like to and rarely complain about refs but yes not sure how Fant's got overturned unless they saw video other than what was shown on TV.... and the spot on Houston's scramble for a first down was pretty rediculous....maybe he rolled over Dez and was close to the sticks but that ref came up out of nowhere and signaled first down without even looking down the line and it looked awfully close if not short to me according to the spot....was pretty bad...at least bring out the chains and humor us pal.....but whatever.

He rolled over. Spot was correct. If King just wraps up and makes a solid tackle, he's 2 yards short anyway

He rolled over. Spot was correct. If King just wraps up and makes a solid tackle, he's 2 yards short anyway
Don't disagree with the spot necessarily as much as the ump coming flying in with a first down signal without even looking to see if it was...looked pretty close to me and should have at least brought out the chains imo

I recall that play where Wadley went OB to the left side. Based on the replay that was shown he should have been spotted past the sticks. The initial spot was bad and the re-spot was even worse. Should have been reviewed but nothing. BAU.
That was a different play. The respotted ball was in the middle of the field. It was weird.

Just a fact to know if a call is going to be reversed watching the refs. If one of the refs gets out the notebook and starts to write, it is 100% that the call is being reversed. I have bemn watching this last few years and it is true 100% of the time. They write down time on the cloak, where to spot the ball etc.

I thought the Clement TD was good. When his body contacted the ground the nose of the football was on the goal line and was a TD by rule. Fant's catch showed that after the ball contacted his hands he pulled the ball upwards which clearly showed control. How they reversed that call I can't explain nor will I ever agree with. BAU.

I agree 100%. On Clement's run the nose of the ball was on the goal line. On Fant's catch, he had control of the ball as evidenced by his pulling the ball towards his chest before the ball touched the ground. To me, that was a touchdown. Bad pass, great catch, touchdown.

I would have come back and run the same exact play on the next down. I had no faith that any of our receivers were going to get open in the end zone no matter what play we were going to run at the point. So, why not come right back to a play that actually worked. Run it again, Beathard makes a slightly better pass, touchdown Fant. That was our best chance to score there.

Don't understand how Wisconsin got called for zero penalties. It is as if the refs have it out for Iowa this season even though I know that can't be the case but the penalty disparity has been glaring in several games and the spots and other calls have been pretty bad. That crew they had on Saturday was downright awful.

Don't understand how Wisconsin got called for zero penalties. It is as if the refs have it out for Iowa this season even though I know that can't be the case but the penalty disparity has been glaring in several games and the spots and other calls have been pretty bad. That crew they had on Saturday was downright awful.

Amazing stat. In the last 12 quarters at Kinnick the opposing team has had 2 penalties. Not avg 2 a game but 2 freaking flags total against them. NDSU had late hit on CJ and N'Western a false start. Wisconsin zero flags, actually one but was declined cause on 3rd down they didn't convert. To have 2 or less penalties in a game is pretty outstanding for a team. Amazing that the other teams in last 3 games have avgeraged .66 penatlies a game. Officials aren't why Iowa lost but they surely haven't been helping us by any means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT