ADVERTISEMENT

Clown U is Embarrassed Yet Again

Washington's last coach got just over $3M/year on a 5 year deal. Campbell makes more than that at ISU. How much would the Huskies be willing to pony up? And yes, UW recruits from an entirely different area than any Midwest job.

Washington will more likley go after a guy familiar with the PAC12 and West coast.

Stender, it isn’t so much that isu fans bought the hype as it was the insistence from them that 7-5 or 8-4 wouldn’t be a possibility because of what isu did in 2020. Anyone who tried to bring a smidge of reality to the opinions of clone fans were laughed at and dismissed out of hand. Now we find this year that when things don’t all go isu’s way they are just a slightly above average team.

Just watch, no later than mid July and clone fans will be back to running their mouths about how much better isu will be than Iowa and how reality once again must be ignored. I mean already you see isu fans on cryclown fanatic saying isu is now back to being a “basketball school”.

Good lord clone fans need a dose of self-awareness
Assuming they lose Purdy and Hall they may not win 6 games next year and will get absolutely destroyed in Iowa City.

Assuming they lose Purdy and Hall they may not win 6 games next year and will get absolutely destroyed in Iowa City.
By mid-July it won’t matter to isu fans that Purdy and Hall aren’t there anymore they have as talented players behind them and there won’t be much of a drop off. Then when isu starts losing games the response will be if only they could play in the Big Ten West they would win more games for sure.

Of course 6 years in a row of history of isu fans behaving this way doesn’t mean anything because they say so.

Washington's last coach got just over $3M/year on a 5 year deal. Campbell makes more than that at ISU. How much would the Huskies be willing to pony up? And yes, UW recruits from an entirely different area than any Midwest job.

Washington will more likley go after a guy familiar with the PAC12 and West coast.
I agree he probably doesn’t go there, but he better find someplace to go. I’m sure he could be happy at ISU forever, but not many of those guys are wired to have the end game be in Ames. ISU pays him that now. Might start getting harder write that check.

A lot of bills are due at ISU, and sugar daddy is about to move in with a new mistress.

Reactions: MitchLL
I know a lot of Hawk fans are relishing in ISU's lackluster season. That's fine. It's part of being a rival, and honestly it may be deserved. I know a lot of Cyclone fans (myself included to some degree) bought into the hype and ran their mouth on this (and other) message boards. You get what you deserve sometimes.

The title of the thread is "Clown U embarrassed again". I struggle with the embarrassed part. Did they play like crap vs Tech? 100% yes, but they weren't embarrassed. Same goes for games at WV + Baylor. I will never play the "what if" game, but all three of those losses were winnable - in spite of playing like absolute shit. The Iowa game wasn't embarrassing as much as it was humbling. Iowa dominated that game and it wasn't as close as the score indicated.

My point is this - yes, ISUs season has been a huge disappointment, but it surely hasn't been an embarrassment.

They haven't dealt with the lofty expectations very well, and maybe they simply weren't as good as advertised.

I still think they can win out and finish 8-4. We are still Iowa State, that is a really good year.
If it wasn't embarrassing, why did so many fans flee the stadium before the game was decided?

Reactions: blhawk
I agree he probably doesn’t go there, but he better find someplace to go. I’m sure he could be happy at ISU forever, but not many of those guys are wired to have the end game be in Ames. ISU pays him that now. Might start getting harder write that check.

A lot of bills are due at ISU, and sugar daddy is about to move in with a new mistress.
Jamey will find some donor (sucker) willing to pony up big $ to keep things afloat. He's done a pretty good job at selling snake oil the last few years

6-7 wins could be a really good season with who they are losing. Hutchinson at WR has been great for them who is a senior and other wr not huge loss but a deep play guy Milton also a sr. Both TEs are seniors with Allen being a 6th yr guy. Kolar pre season all american isn't coming back for 6th year, probably should've left after last year. Not for sure how many OL. Then the D has all 3 LBs including all conference guy in Rose. Both DE Uwazarike and Peterson. Plus a couple of guys in the secondary like 6th yr guy Eisworth and starting CB. Then throw in their best offensive player Hall is good as gone for the pros (be interesting if he plays in the bowl game) and McDonald another Jr right now trending towards leaving early. My question is of the guys who are coming back who are the impact players they return? Downing is a good OL and the armed robber Isheem Young is a good DB but they are going to lose a ton still. For ISU's sake hopefully Texas stays another year in the Big 12 in their quest to get 6 wins.

Last edited:
Gets tougher when they aren’t reaching expectations.
And with the status of their conference in doubt. Almost regardless of "power" status, the B12 is going to lose a major amount of revenue - probably at least half - of what they are now making once they sign new media rights. Without Texas and Ok ratings, they are nothing. And look for the bowl alignments to drop as well. There is already rumblings that the Alamo bowl is looking to drop the B12 for the SEC, and the Sugar Bowl will certainly look for a conference alignment that brings big names and big ratings to go with its major bowl status.

Reactions: shudaddy
FEXsKWRXsAE8N7w

Seriously, what a goober, their dorky fans will eat that up too, Pollard and Campbell are not the brightest, but they’re a hell of a lot smarter than their fan base and they know when they fail they can just blurt out bullshit coach speak and ISU fans will eat it up.

Saw a guy make a statement on twitter that said their depth is just as good as their starters and have all Americans in the waiting. I told him that’s a pretty bold claim when said depth have only played spot duty this year. Having your starters consist of 80% super seniors is not necessary a good thing unless you’re looking at a conference championship. It’s actually hurting them more this year with no young guys getting much experience and they’ll most likely end up with only 7 wins. 6 wins may be their peak next year.

But are all those guys in waiting from football states? If so, CFP for sure next year.

Seriously, what a goober, their dorky fans will eat that up too, Pollard and Campbell are not the brightest, but they’re a hell of a lot smarter than their fan base and they know when they fail they can just blurt out bullshit coach speak and ISU fans will eat it up.

They really are clinging on to that fake 2020 Regular Season Big 12 Football Championship.

Ya they returned everyone, but really how talented are those guys? Before the year started I said they're probably an 8-9 win team. When your margin for error is that thin, you arent winning all of the close games and this year they've lost them all, other than OK ST. I dont believe in Purdy, never have and some of those Olineman shouldve moved on. I do think they have some depth now though and dont see a complete rebuild once these super seniors finally move on.

Ya they returned everyone, but really how talented are those guys? I dont believe in Purdy, never have and some of those Olineman shouldve moved on. I do think they have some depth now though and dont see a complete rebuild once these super seniors finally move on.

IIRC, their QB and RB were mentioned as Heisman candidates

and I know Heather from ESPN named them a CFP sleeper (she thought they had a chance to win the Big 12 title game over OU and sneak into the Final 4)

and I know Heather from ESPN named them a CFP sleeper (she thought they had a chance to win the Big 12 title game over OU and sneak into the Final 4)

Good for her and ESPN. I didnt agree with it then and dont now.

Ya they returned everyone, but really how talented are those guys? Before the year started I said they're probably an 8-9 win team. When your margin for error is that thin, you arent winning all of the close games and this year they've lost them all, other than OK ST. I dont believe in Purdy, never have and some of those Olineman shouldve moved on. I do think they have some depth now though and dont see a complete rebuild once these super seniors finally move on.

This was posted on TOS and its dead accurate

Here is the reality of Matt Campbell.....

The guy is a ****ing meathead goober that actually figured out something when he came to the Big XII. He committed to rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage in a league that had become completely pass happy. It worked and has worked well enough for him to raise the wins at Iowa State to a consistent 6-8 games per year. That is great for him and great for them.

Now look a bit deeper. His system works in the Big XII, but whenever Iowa State has to play outside of their conference against other Power 5 schools (or even a lot of non-Power 5 and FCS), it almost always ends badly against the Power 5 and is a struggle way too often against the non-Power 5 and FCS.

- 5 straight losses to Iowa including multiple blowouts
- Trounced by Notre Dame
- Beaten by Washington State
- Lost to UNI, needed 3 OT to beat them and had to hold off a final drive this year to win.
- Crushed by Louisiana
- Needed a comeback in the 4th quarter to beat D-II non-scholarship Drake

The only win Matt Campbell has against a Power 5 school while at Iowa State is last year in a weird COVID shortened season against an Oregon team that was missing most of their relevant players and only played in that game because the team that was supposed to was unable to because of COVID.

He is 1-7 against Power 5 teams. His system doesn't work outside of his own conference.

Not sure why everyone is shitting all over him. What he said was pretty odd, especially when he doubled down and said "greatest together team".

But at the end of the day, it's coach speak. Everyone does it, and we should know better than anyone. Most good coaches are going to say "yeah, we blew it, season is pretty much wasted now". They're going to keep their guys focused and attempt to put together a solid regular season at 8-4. At a school like ISU, that's a good season no matter what preseason expectations are.

It's difficult when fan/media expectations are sky high at a top 20-30 program like Iowa, even more so for a program historically in the bottom 20. It would have been like the hype of 2010 for us but without ever having the success from the last 40 years.

What Campbell said sounded weird, probably didn't articulate what he was really thinking, but what he was trying to say isn't anything different than what most coaches would be.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst

National pundits and talking heads are just lazy. Every year they look for that undiscovered and unexpected non-blue-bloody type of sleeper that seems quirky and sexy and they think will make them sound really smart and edgy if they pick them to go all the way. Except it's usually the same one that they all glom onto without really looking into anything. This year it was ISU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT