ADVERTISEMENT

Clowns fall to the Rockets

Almost 170 yards more offense and those clowns figure a way to blow it.

Yeah. I switched over from a perfectly good Ole Miss v Alabama game to watch that debacle. Toledo fans storming the field, announcers talking about how Toledo should be ranked based on that win. Do any of them realize it was ISU they beat?

Only thing that will halt the 11 game skid the Clones are heading towards is a date with the Jayhawks.

Reactions: I4cy
Laughable for the commentator to suggest that Toledo should be ranked. All this game was was a pairing of two lousy football teams.

Reactions: kwik44
I dunno....I want Rhoads to be there for the next decade. I was hoping they would stumble their way into enough W's to provide them the ray of hope to retain him.

Reactions: icu81222
Toledo beat Arkansas last week on the road.

Aware of that. Arkansas sucks too.

Iowa State is bad, and really should have won the game tonight. So no, I can't see Toledo being anywhere near the 25 best teams in the nation.

Arkansas just lost to Texas Tech. That win is no longer as impressive. Arkansas is now 1-2, and if they keep playing like they have been that could easily turn into 1-3, then 1-4, then 1-5 as they have Texas A&M, Tennessee, Alabama up next.

I was switching back and forth between Iowa and ISU, recording Iowa in the process.

Was kinda pulling for the Clowns in a that would make our win against them bettter kind-of-way. So, when Netten got nuttin at the end of regulation I was kind of disappointed. And it was only a 32-yard attempt.

By the time Koehn stood over his 57-yarder I was like penitent for having pulled for the Clowns.

YES! Iowa wins and ISU loses on last-second field goals.

Poetic.

I've read the recap on this game, and know about the missed FG...I'm still trying to wrap my head on how ISU even was in the position of needing a late FG to win it. On the surface and not seeing a second of gameplay - they dominated that game statistically.

We have seen this movie before. The best part is it doesn't even slow down their fans and how they behave.

You have to laugh at the numerous ways isu finds to lose a football game.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Iowa cost me $260. Even when I bet on the Hawks, they screw me. I had a $100 parlay, ISU plus 8 and Iowa minus 6.

As for the ISU game, it was beyond painful to watch. The lowlights:

* 14 penalties for 113 yards, and it could have been worse. The zebras inexplicably missed two obvious ISU infractions, one of which -- if called, as it should have been -- would have negated an interception, and the other of which would have negated an ISU touchdown.

* For the second week in a row, an opponent recovered its own fumble in the end zone for a touchdown.

* With the game on the line and the ball in the middle of the field at the 9, ISU incurred a procedure penalty, and then the coaches ran the ball to the left side, presumably to give the kicker the worst possible angle. It worked; he missed left.

Feel free to wallow in this as much as you like, guys and gals. I don't blame you a bit.

Hello, did someone here order sprinkles?

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Great sports day overall. Cubs beat the Cards, Iowa dramatically beats Pitt. Clones, Huskers and Bama all lose. I thought I'd died and gone to puppy heaven!

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
Is it this week or after the Kansas game that Pollard throws his annual fit in order to divert attention away from Rhodes and the football team itself?

I can't wait for clone fans to reply.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Iowa cost me $260. Even when I bet on the Hawks, they screw me. I had a $100 parlay, ISU plus 8 and Iowa minus 6.

As for the ISU game, it was beyond painful to watch. The lowlights:

* For the second week in a row, an opponent recovered its own fumble in the end zone for a touchdown.

Another day, another errant posting from the obsessed isu fan. Were you this bad during the period you claimed to be gainfully employed as a writer?

Did you intend to comment on my post, or just wanted to make sure it was well-viewed?

ISU has about as good of a team this year as I have seen in a long, long time there. At this point they need to be thinking about both coaching changes, and a change of culture. The one place they should be able to develop players not highly recruited is at offensive line. And they can't seem to do this. It isn't on their fans, although some of them are about as idiotic as some Iowa fans, and it isn't on their players. Something is majorly wrong there.

ISU has about as good of a team this year as I have seen in a long, long time there. At this point they need to be thinking about both coaching changes, and a change of culture. The one place they should be able to develop players not highly recruited is at offensive line. And they can't seem to do this. It isn't on their fans, although some of them are about as idiotic as some Iowa fans, and it isn't on their players. Something is majorly wrong there.
Some of us have noticed this :oops:

This has been consistent through three OCs, two of whom -- Tom Herman and Mark Mangino -- have outstanding national reputations for their offensive coaching prowess.

Frankly, the massive meltdown occurring now is due in large part to the manner in which the game was lost yesterday. If it were just a matter of losing in double overtime on the road to a good MAC team, it wouldn't be so bad. But it was one of the most infuriating, frustrating games I can remember watching, which is saying something since I've been watching Cyclone football since 1962. We even got the benefit of more officiating mistakes than Toledo did. But if there was something that could be done to screw up, we did it. The penalties were especially galling, after collecting 9 the previous week, which was too many.

In a vacuum, the meltdown wouldn't be appropriate. The team won easily against a good BCS team that has beaten us on several occasions in the past; it played down to the final minutes against a team that's likely to win 10 or 11 games and be ranked all season; and it lose on the road in double overtime to an undefeated team that was coming off a win at Arkansas. It's not like we just lost at home to Drake. And we had a strong running game last night.

But of course this loss didn't occur in a vacuum.

Some of us have noticed this :oops:

This has been consistent through three OCs, two of whom -- Tom Herman and Mark Mangino -- have outstanding national reputations for their offensive coaching prowess.

Frankly, the massive meltdown occurring now is due in large part to the manner in which the game was lost yesterday. If it were just a matter of losing in double overtime on the road to a good MAC team, it wouldn't be so bad. But it was one of the most infuriating, frustrating games I can remember watching, which is saying something since I've been watching Cyclone football since 1962. We even got the benefit of more officiating mistakes than Toledo did. But if there was something that could be done to screw up, we did it. The penalties were especially galling, after collecting 9 the previous week, which was too many.

In a vacuum, the meltdown wouldn't be appropriate. The team won easily against a good BCS team that has beaten us on several occasions in the past; it played down to the final minutes against a team that's likely to win 10 or 11 games and be ranked all season; and it lose on the road in double overtime to an undefeated team that was coming off a win at Arkansas. It's not like we just lost at home to Drake. And we had a strong running game last night.

But of course this loss didn't occur in a vacuum.

Yeah, Mangino is a real genius.... just like Wally and son are on the defensive side of the ball.

isu (the team) won against UNI, an FCS team in the opening game in Ames. UNI went through several assistant coaching moves from the year before and very likely have more of a 'middle of the pack' roster now than anytime in recent history. isu (the team) was very fortunate that Iowa started slowly in the game in Ames because, in the end, it really was not as close as you now want others to believe. Iowa controlled the second half with stifling defense and enough offense to make the difference. But, for the record, Iowa is not ranked and will not be ranked until they beat a team of worth/value to substantiate those rankings. Toledo remains a Mac Conference team and we all know how isu fans 'feel' about that sort of competition - especially if Iowa is on the wrong side of things versus Northern Illinois or Central Michigan.

What was heard/read was that isu needed (and had a real possibility) of starting 5-0 or 4-1 on the year thus making it feasible to become bowl eligible with a win or two in the meat of conference play. Now the spin is how great the non-con opposition was.

BTW - thanks for mentioning Drake. I can still recall the bumper stickers that appeared when Drake beat a heavily favored major college team from Ames, Iowa in football!

Last edited:
I don't think that Iowa is ISU's super bowl. However, I do believe Iowa is one of about 2-3 games that ISU puts a huge emphasis on during the season. I know in the past that Iowa and Nebraska were the "big" games for ISU and their fans. Not sure who has replaced Nebby in that factor since they left the Big 12. Oklahoma? Texas? Oklahoma State?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT