ADVERTISEMENT

Clowns fall to the Rockets

Yeah, Mangino is a real genius.... just like Wally and son are on the defensive side of the ball.

isu (the team) won against UNI, an FCS team in the opening game in Ames. UNI went through several assistant coaching moves from the year before and very likely have more of a 'middle of the pack' roster now than anytime in recent history. isu (the team) was very fortunate that Iowa started slowly in the game in Ames because, in the end, it really was not as close as you now want others to believe. Iowa controlled the second half with stifling defense and enough offense to make the difference. But, for the record, Iowa is not ranked and will not be ranked until they beat a team of worth/value to substantiate those rankings. Toledo remains a Mac Conference team and we all know how isu fans 'feel' about that sort of competition - especially if Iowa is on the wrong side of things versus Northern Illinois or Central Michigan.

What was heard/read was that isu needed (and had a real possibility) of starting 5-0 or 4-1 on the year thus making it feasible to become bowl eligible with a win or two in the meat of conference play. Now the spin is how great the non-con opposition was.

BTW - thanks for mentioning Drake. I can still recall the bumper stickers that appeared when Drake beat a heavily favored major college team from Ames, Iowa in football!

You know, I think you do better when you make blank posts than when you make posts that prove you haven't read the post to which you are purporting to reply.

Reactions: I4cy
Yeah, Mangino is a real genius.... just like Wally and son are on the defensive side of the ball.

isu (the team) won against UNI, an FCS team in the opening game in Ames. UNI went through several assistant coaching moves from the year before and very likely have more of a 'middle of the pack' roster now than anytime in recent history. isu (the team) was very fortunate that Iowa started slowly in the game in Ames because, in the end, it really was not as close as you now want others to believe. Iowa controlled the second half with stifling defense and enough offense to make the difference. But, for the record, Iowa is not ranked and will not be ranked until they beat a team of worth/value to substantiate those rankings. Toledo remains a Mac Conference team and we all know how isu fans 'feel' about that sort of competition - especially if Iowa is on the wrong side of things versus Northern Illinois or Central Michigan.

What was heard/read was that isu needed (and had a real possibility) of starting 5-0 or 4-1 on the year thus making it feasible to become bowl eligible with a win or two in the meat of conference play. Now the spin is how great the non-con opposition was.

BTW - thanks for mentioning Drake. I can still recall the bumper stickers that appeared when Drake beat a heavily favored major college team from Ames, Iowa in football!
LC, I flipped back and forth between the Iowa and ISU games and I thought I saw Lazard drop one at the goal line that likely would have sent the game into a 3rd OT. It seems like he dropped a couple against Iowa. I would expect more from him. Are the players starting to quit on Rhodes?

Is it this week or after the Kansas game that Pollard throws his annual fit in order to divert attention away from Rhodes and the football team itself?

I can't wait for clone fans to reply.

Honestly I have no idea how Pollard convinces that fan base to continue to shell out time and money for such garbage.

It's amazing.

The fact that they seriously just expanded that stadium blows my mind. How? Why?

I honestly think their collective obsession with Iowa is one of the main things that drives that train wreck to keep moving.

You know, I think you do better when you make blank posts than when you make posts that prove you haven't read the post to which you are purporting to reply.

Oh look... another post where LC goes to the ' I have been misunderstood....' excuse.

What exactly was so hard to comprehend in my reply? Your post had the ever so typical LC/isu spin and I merely provided some detail. Nothing terribly vague or inaccurate like is found routinely from some posters with over 80,000 entries to their credit.

BTW - have you figured out yet the error of your ways that I initially remarked about in this thread?

LC, I flipped back and forth between the Iowa and ISU games and I thought I saw Lazard drop one at the goal line that likely would have sent the game into a 3rd OT. It seems like he dropped a couple against Iowa. I would expect more from him. Are the players starting to quit on Rhodes?
I have no idea whether the players are quitting. There was no evidence of that last night. To the contrary, I quit but they didn't. The goal-line stand after the blocked punt was exceptional, and the drive at the end of the game that ended in the missed field goal was outstanding.

I don't recall Lazard dropping a pass in overtime, but it's entirely possible. Things are kind of a blur after the missed FG, as I assumed we wouldn't win in OT. He has failed to catch a few that he could be expected to catch, but he's made more tough catches than he's muffed easier ones.

Oh look... another post where LC goes to the ' I have been misunderstood....' excuse.

What exactly was so hard to comprehend in my reply? Your post had the ever so typical LC/isu spin and I merely provided some detail. Nothing terribly vague or inaccurate like is found routinely from some posters with over 80,000 entries to their credit.

BTW - have you figured out yet the error of your ways that I initially remarked about in this thread?
Your "reply" didn't address anything in the post to which it was presumably supposed to reply. As is too often the case with your snark.

And have you figured out that you didn't post anything in the previous "reply"?

This is getting too predictable, fiver. I'm tired of the same old crap, time after time. Bye.

So LC I4 or any clone fan, will Pollard pull his diversion tactic this week or so we need to wait for the KU game?

I can hear it already "it's not fair".

Your "reply" didn't address anything in the post to which it was presumably supposed to reply. As is too often the case with your snark.

And have you figured out that you didn't post anything in the previous "reply"?

This is getting too predictable, fiver. I'm tired of the same old crap, time after time. Bye.

Nah... predictable would be YOU posting incessantly on this message board. Nearly each and every day about little of nothing really. Wrong at least as many times as you are right. That has been your m.o. for over a decade now.

What I am able to figure out is that there indeed is a response to your post. Let me give you a hint. Describe exactly when it was that isu's opponent of September 12th ever recovered its own fumble "in the end zone" and scored a touchdown. To use one of your favorite lines - did you even watch the game?

Promises are cheap when coming from YOU, LC. I'll believe YOU to be gone when I witness it with my own eyes. Until then, I can guarantee that your obsession with all things Iowa will keep YOU right here on HR.

Reactions: hawkeyeheaven08
Honestly I have no idea how Pollard convinces that fan base to continue to shell out time and money for such garbage.

It's amazing.

The fact that they seriously just expanded that stadium blows my mind. How? Why?

I honestly think their collective obsession with Iowa is one of the main things that drives that train wreck to keep moving.

Rock, one reason is because he doesn't make them shell out any money. It is the nation's largest non-profit football stadium.

ISU may not be all that far away from being a pretty good team but will they be able to hang in there after a rough start? When Hayden set about changing the program's mind-set, he used to talk about plowing up all the snakes. Seems to me ISU has a history full of so many snakes it's hard to know if they'll ever get plowed up. It'll take a helluva coach to get the job done, that's for sure.

ISU may not be all that far away from being a pretty good team but will they be able to hang in there after a rough start? When Hayden set about changing the program's mind-set, he used to talk about plowing up all the snakes. Seems to me ISU has a history full of so many snakes it's hard to know if they'll ever get plowed up. It'll take a helluva coach to get the job done, that's for sure.
That's a very good point. As somebody said, some teams/coaches find ways to win; others find ways to lose.

Saturday night is a classic case in point. Doesn't matter who the opponent was or where the game was played. With a minute to play, the score was tied and ISU had a first down at the Toledo 9 and two timeouts remaining. Ended up losing in double overtime. If a fumble had been involved, you could say "that's football." But there was no fumble.

If ISU scores, the whole picture changes on the banks of the sweetly flowing South Skunk River; the team is 2-1 with a road win over a credible opponent and a close loss at home to a credible opponent, with an open date before starting conference play against Kansas.

This is absolutely true. I am glad that at least one poster here understands that.

Yet what some isu fans fail to understand is that it has become expected for the clones to lose to these type of opponents. UNI, NDSU, Kansas... it is generally anticipated that isu will lose to a thought to be inferior opponent most every year.

It's amazing.

Iowa fans (like me) should have no difficulty understanding why clone fans stick with their program even when they suck.

I would expect nothing less from fans.

Clones losing to Toledo only cheapens hawks win over those clowns.

Yet I have never seen any clone fan say a win over Iowa can be cheapened regardless of how the Hawks play afterwards.

Why is that? Simple, Iowa is their Super Bowl and how good or bad Iowa is after the isu game is meaningless to them. This is engrained in their culture.

To be fair, when you're a program that's getting kicked around a lot in recent years, learning how to win these types of games seems to be very difficult. It happens to everybody. Look at Iowa in 2001 and 2008. Maddening losses. Might even want to throw in last year too.

I have a feeling if Rhoades can keep them together, they're going to surprise someone this year. They look improved to me, just need to learn how to win.

I think it's pretty cool that a MAC team has wins over an SEC and Big12 team? There's only one reason for that, and that's coaching.

Impossible to do on the national level. ISU's football reputation is so poor that almost any positive development is seen as an aberration. As someone once famously stated, "That's why they are Iowa State."

Yet clones fans can't figure out why isu is laughed at.

Has Iowa ever had what would nationally be considered a good win over Iowa State? Serious question.
As Psyclone pointed out, the first one clearly qualifies. But I think you're missing the point that you're inadvertently making. There have been other years when Iowa COULD have had a good win over ISU, but lost the game.

1978, 1980, 1981, 2002, were all years when ISU was ranked in the first half of the season, so presumably that would have been considered a good win for Iowa if the Hawks had won. In addition, I think the same could be said for 2000 and 2001, as ISU was a solid bowl team in each of those years despite not being ranked.

As Psyclone pointed out, the first one clearly qualifies. But I think you're missing the point that you're inadvertently making. There have been other years when Iowa COULD have had a good win over ISU, but lost the game.

1978, 1980, 1981, 2002, were all years when ISU was ranked in the first half of the season, so presumably that would have been considered a good win for Iowa if the Hawks had won. In addition, I think the same could be said for 2000 and 2001, as ISU was a solid bowl team in each of those years despite not being ranked.

1980, 1981 and 2002 outcomes proved isu had no business being ranked early in the season which is why they weren't ranked at the end of the season.

Of course this must be ignored because clone fans say so.

Iowa fans (like me) should have no difficulty understanding why clone fans stick with their program even when they suck.

I would expect nothing less from fans.

Looking around the rest of the country, most bad/awful programs have allot less fan interest and in more populated states.

Iowa would never have the fan support it does if it put up results anywhere close to ISU.

Teams like Indiana and Kansas are basically the same as ISU, never have been good and never will be, and they have little interest from fans. Yes they're bball schools but so is ISU.

ISU fans are a fairly unique phenomenon. The results never come anywhere near justifying their optomism.

They desire to compete with Iowa leads them to do things that don't make sense like building a bigger stadium when they can rarely ever even make a bowl.

Looking around the rest of the country, most bad/awful programs have allot less fan interest and in more populated states.

Iowa would never have the fan support it does if it put up results anywhere close to ISU.

Teams like Indiana and Kansas are basically the same as ISU, never have been good and never will be, and they have little interest from fans. Yes they're bball schools but so is ISU.

ISU fans are a fairly unique phenomenon. The results never come anywhere near justifying their optomism.

They desire to compete with Iowa leads them to do things that don't make sense like building a bigger stadium when they can rarely ever even make a bowl.

Agree with Kansas and Indiana who have rich bball history but In regards to ISU I would not consider them a bball school. Only reason you can make this case is because there football program is so awful. I've heard my ISU friends make same claim. But I'd argue that yes Hoiberg had a nice run but in last decade they have made the sweet 16 once. Would not qualify that as a bball school. Again think they only make that claim cause of the pathetic history that is cyclone football.

Couple of comments after reading the entire thread, to date.

ISU is NOT a bball school. To be labeled that would require an appearance in at least the Final 4. The chance may be there this year, but I have a feeling the Clones will find a way to repeat Hampton.

I too was flipping the remote, and honestly thought I've seen better games watching Texas high school football. How in hell did Toledo beat Arky? It didn't help that the announcers were horrible.

ISU fans are still hopeful of someday seeing another Okie State like upset before they die. That hope can keep the fanbase coming to games. If the team only has 2-3 wins by November... butts in seats will be scarce.

As much as I dislike Pollard, he's got a tough job. Rhoads is proving that the problem isn't always the coaching. It's just tough to recruit to a little bro school with so little in-State talent. And once injuries start to occur, this is REALLY going to get ugly.

I kinda am enjoying seeing their fans squirm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT