ADVERTISEMENT

CNN Review of "Old Dads": It needs to be about Old Moms

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
LOL...the bolded line just cracks me up. Hey Shakespeare, instead of Brutus stabbing Caesar, why can't he get attacked by a dog?

Opinion: Why ‘Old Dads’ made me so mad​

Opinion by Amy Klein
When I first saw the trailer for comedian Bill Burr’s new feature film, “Old Dads,” which premieres this week on Netflix, I got mad.

Great, another pop culture piece focusing on men, I thought, when it’s the women doing all the hard work.

I wasn’t excited to watch a film focusing on three older dads — played by Burr, Bobby Cannavale and Bokeem Woodbine — who clash with the younger parents in an overly politically correct West Coast private school.

The film was a Burr “get off my lawn” type of comedy purportedly about a Gen-Xer’s take on the absurdities of the progressive younger generation in their parenting and the workplace; instead it felt more like a boomer screed. And it also felt like a lost opportunity. Couldn’t a film about old dads also have included some older moms?

Look, being an older dad is not a new story: Men have been doing it since the dawn of time. The biblical Abraham was 100 years old when he had Isaac. More recently, Robert De Niro was 79 when he announced the birth of his seventh child. Al Pacino was 83 when he had his fourth. Talk about “The Godfather”….

Our culture is long overdue for some real-talk storytelling about older moms, because we’re the true heroes of any story about older parenting. We older moms are the only demographic increasing fertility: From 1990 to 2019, the number of women ages 40 to 44 giving birth more than doubled, and women 35 to 39 saw a 67% increase, according to the United States Census Bureau. (Women in age groups under 30 also showed a startling decrease in that time period.)

Like many older moms, it wasn’t exactly my first choice to become a parent later in life: I only met my future husband at 39, and we didn’t get married until I was 41. I got pregnant right away — and if I hadn’t kept miscarrying for the next three years, I still would have been an older mom, just not quite as old as I was when I birthed our daughter at age 44.

Living in New York City, I didn’t feel old being a first-time mom in my 40s — but that’s because my sister and best friends also had babies at the same time (fine, they were approaching 40 and I was well past it, but still.) It’s true that some people called me “Grandma” — an unfortunate rite of passage for all us over-40 moms, especially those not living in big, coastal cities. But I just laughed it off.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/17/opinions/frasier-revival-kelsey-grammer-comfort-tv-thomas
What I can’t laugh at is that we older mothers get so much aggravation for having children later in life. “Should we be sympathetic to a 42-year-old’s fertility struggles?” That’s how a writer came at me on a parenting website when I started to share my IVF journey in a weekly column ten years ago. Commenters weren’t kind either, writing things like, “Your [sic] old and dried up,” one woman wrote. “Amy’s journey seems to be all about herself and her needs,” another opined about my wanting to be a mother.

That’s because the narrative about older moms is that we’re selfish. Not that we haven’t found a partner, or we’re trying to get out of debt to afford a child or we are having trouble getting pregnant. (Forget the fact that, according to some studies, sperm counts are declining.)

But older dads — no matter if they’re octogenarians — are rarely called selfish or “dried up.” In “Old Dads,” Burr’s character Jack doesn’t get grief for being old. “I always wanted to be a dad,” he narrates at the beginning of the film, noting that it took him 46 years to get there. (In real life, Burr was 49 and 52 when he had his daughter and son.) If anyone asks Jack why it took him so long, he says, “I tell them to F@#$ off.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/29/opinions/patricia-clarkson-women-no-kids-stewart
Rarely can a woman tell the world to go jump in the proverbial lake. As the “Barbie” movie has shown us, women usually have to apologize for our very existence (and in America Ferrera’s memorable monologue about the challenges and misogynist traps women face, she did not even begin to discuss older moms.) When people call us selfish, or career-oriented (as if we shouldn’t be working?) or blame us for our own infertility (!), we women just have to shoulder it.

We don’t have the luxury like the men in “Old Dads,” such as Jack, who says he married late because, “I just hadn’t met the right woman yet.” That’s because it’s okay for men to be picky in finding a partner or to focus on their careers or in fact be selfish (it’s called “ambition” for men). His wife in the film (played by Katie Aselton) believes he married late because “he had an unhappy childhood.”

Hey, I had an unhappy childhood! Raised in a home with traditional gender norms before my parents ultimately divorced, I wasn’t eager to take on the labor of motherhood — birthing, raising and loving kids, not to mention cooking, cleaning and planning for them, too. Like Jack, I also was a late bloomer, but as he says, “I’m not going to whine about it.”

Truthfully, I don’t have much reason to whine about being an older mother. I love it.

I’m grateful I had my 30s to make the mistakes in dating to not have to settle; I kissed enough frogs before I met my love, an equal partner who does his share of the childcare, work and housework. (Like Burr, my husband was 49 when we had our daughter, but he looks half his age, and acts like it, too.)

I’m lucky that I had time to work out my issues so I don’t have to burden my kids with unresolved psychological scars. And unlike many women who have children in their 20s and early 30s, I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything: We older moms have had more time for travel, for climbing the corporate ladder (or whatever ladder we’re on). We have invested in ourselves, and

are now more than ready to devote ourselves to our children and families.

The main problem with being an older mom — or older parent — is that we’ll have less time to be with our children. But nothing is ever guaranteed; my best friend, a mom of two, died at 42, so you never know. The topics of aging and death aren’t addressed in “Old Dads,” which ends with the old guys being forced to change with the changing times.

This one movie doesn’t bear the responsibility for addressing all the shortcomings of how we talk about older parenting, but I wish it addressed the lessons we older moms (and dads, my husband wanted me to add) can teach the younger generation: most importantly, to not take parenting (or ourselves) too seriously, that our children will probably be okay (look at how little parenting we Gen Xers got!) and that life and parenting are precious, no matter how old you are.

I read that a couple days ago.

Anyone else sick and tired of whiny people? Just STFU…nobody wants to hear about your feelings.

The things that bothers me is that she is essentially whining about the choices she consciously made while at the same time saying she doesn't regret them.

Oh and she manages to throw a dig at her husband who she claims is her person too.

Me I am glad I married at 27 which actually felt a little old to me at the time and had my first kid at 30. I still have some energy to keep up with them and all will be adults by my early 50's.

Society would be so much better if we all just took each other at face value and stopped trying to impose our agenda on each other. We see it with wokeness, we see it with MAGA anti wokeness.

Can’t we just celebrate that we have diversity of experiences and worldviews. Both old dads and old moms exist, talking about one does not diminish the other.

I read that a couple days ago.

Anyone else sick and tired of whiny people? Just STFU…nobody wants to hear about your feelings.
Yeah I read it too and was like, ‘make your own damn movie then.’ It wasn’t a great film, kind of stupid, had a couple of laughs though. Won’t be a cult classic but if you’ve got nothing going on and it’s cold outside it might be worth putting on.

Stretch that would make this guy blush

a67c908be0d858c3929c78542095bb60_display_large_7.webp

I’d challenge the below statement from her. Seems like she’s an angry little elf

“I’m lucky that I had time to work out my issues so I don’t have to burden my kids with unresolved psychological scars”

Movie was meh. Some funny lines. Mildly entertaining.

If you want a similar movie for women, the write a script.

Me I am glad I married at 27 which actually felt a little old to me at the time and had my first kid at 30. I still have some energy to keep up with them and all will be adults by my early 50's.
I was 26 when we had our first daughter....now I have 2 grandkids at 56. I enjoy still being young enough to run around on the beach with the grandkids. They're loads of fun...

I look forward to their visits..

Taking shots at Billy Boy saying her husband looks and acts younger. Talk about a whiny little baby, that was tough to read without laughing every 10 seconds.

We got married three weeks after we graduated from college. 22 year old babies but most of our friends did too. We waited to have kids until we were 27 - we needed time to grow up together.
My adult children- (no pic) daughter is divorced - but no kids - and my son who is married with two kids are both definitely products of 80’s childhoods with boomer parents. Son and his wife were late 30’s when they pro-created.
My grandkids both play sports and if my husband was still around he’d laugh hysterically at how his son coaches the kids from the sidelines and how they interact with the other parents - and the politics of how it all works.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Dear Amy,

STFU, don't like it don't watch it.
Exactly.

I guess the author doesn't get out much. Has she not seen Steel Magnolias or Bad Moms? And, while not about "old moms" there are a ton of feature films focused on women.

- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
- Bridesmaids
- Little Women
- Girls Trip
- The First Wives Club
- 9 to 5
- The Help
- Hidden Figures
- Ghostbusters (ladies version)
- Oceans 8
- The Joy Luck Club
- Annihilation
- Waiting to Exhale
- A League of Their Own

Oh and her, "Great, another pop culture piece focusing on men, I thought, when it’s the women doing all the hard work." is pretty short sighted.

I was a Gen X, single dad for four years before I met my current wife...working shift work, coaching my eldest's soccer team, maintaining a house.

I was 26 when we had our first daughter....now I have 2 grandkids at 56. I enjoy still being young enough to run around on the beach with the grandkids. They're loads of fun...

I look forward to their visits..
I was 24 when our first was born and I'm 50 now. I hope to have grandkids by the time I'm 56, but it's not looking good.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Oh, and that article is ridiculous. But, I guess it got posted on a message board and people are talking about it so maybe it did its job.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I can totally understand where the author is coming from. The whole time I was watching “80 for Brady”, I was seething at the lack of representation of the old man fanboy club. I was literally shaking!

images

I'm pretty sure they made a couple of these. Granted, I haven't watched any of them, but I assume all the "Bad Moms" are moms and none are bad dads. And I am willing to bet that the moms aren't actually portrayed as bad people but the dads are. Just a hunch. Someone with more time can go back an see if Ms. Klein had the same complaint.

Oh look another handle @OhAdam ...this one is giving me a GDR-type feel. What say you HROT analysts?
Give me some credit. Do you not recognize the irony? Men bitching and moaning because a woman bitched and moaned? It's really plain and obvious.

When a man writes an op ed critical of a thing, it's a man being critical of a thing and that's it. When it's a woman? She's whiny. She should do something else, anything else, other than whine. She should stop whining and make her own movie. We even have Hoosier, who tries really damn hard to be level-headed, somehow inferring that the writer is "whining about the choices she made". Uhhh, wut?

Watching men ITT have such reactive, snowflakey responses to an "old mom" providing an interesting alt perspective is… well, it's pretty whiny.

Now, I have a feeling you'll submit a better guess.

Better hurry, this site's ultimate snowflake is sure to ban me before too long.

Give me some credit. Do you not recognize the irony? Men bitching and moaning because a woman bitched and moaned? It's really plain and obvious.

When a man writes an op ed critical of a thing, it's a man being critical of a thing and that's it. When it's a woman? She's whiny. She should do something else, anything else, other than whine. She should stop whining and make her own movie.

Watching men ITT have such reactive, snowflakey responses to an "old mom" providing an interesting alt perspective is… well, it's pretty whiny.

Now, I have a feeling you'll submit a better guess.

Better hurry, this site's ultimate snowflake is sure to ban me before too long.
Yes, I see the irony, but there's a difference in posters pointing it out on a message board where that's pretty much all we do; vent frustrations we don't otherwise discuss in normal circles. As others have pointed out, it's cathartic to have a release point.

That said, we are flooded with people's opinions and more often than not it's some sort of "hot take" to generate clicks. I wouldn't be surprised if the author laughed her arse off during the movie while simultaneously looking for crap she could write about. It's the world we live in, GDR.

We've become a whiny society and yes, I just whined about whining. It is what it is. Threads that bitch go for 10+ pages. Threads that try to shine the positive go 2 pages as best. CNN isn't going to run the top story, "High Schooler gets straight As, serves the homeless, walks the elderly across the street!" But, "Highschooler, punches Tommy in the face and starts school brawl" will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT