ADVERTISEMENT

CNN Review of "Old Dads": It needs to be about Old Moms

Yes, I see the irony, but there's a difference in posters pointing it out on a message board where that's pretty much all we do; vent frustrations we don't otherwise discuss in normal circles. As others have pointed out, it's cathartic to have a release point.

That said, we are flooded with people's opinions and more often than not it's some sort of "hot take" to generate clicks. I wouldn't be surprised if the author laughed her arse off during the movie while simultaneously looking for crap she could write about. It's the world we live in, GDR.

We've become a whiny society and yes, I just whined about whining. It is what it is. Threads that bitch go for 10+ pages. Threads that try to shine the positive go 2 pages as best. CNN isn't going to run the top story, "High Schooler gets straight As, serves the homeless, walks the elderly across the street!" But, "Highschooler, punches Tommy in the face and starts school brawl" will.
Sigh… op eds about cultural stuff have always done, to some degree or another, what the author of this one has done in this op ed. Of course I know there's a difference between a writer having an op ed published and posters on a message board.

Anyways, thanks for acknowledging that the irony I find in this thread is, in fact, present.

I agree, we're a whiny society. I submit that there's a lot to whine about. Are you willing to go another step in acknowledging a double standard exists? I mean, has it occurred to you that Burr's film — which I actually made it halfway thru the other day — is basically a 2-hour whine fest? But he's a guy, so… he's not whining. He's a guy, so… he's onto something.

Here's my take: I'm with Burr on some of the film's commentary. And I'm also with Amy on some of hers.

Sigh… op eds about cultural stuff have always done, to some degree or another, what the author of this one has done in this op ed. Of course I know there's a difference between a writer having an op ed published and posters on a message board.

Anyways, thanks for acknowledging that the irony I find in this thread is, in fact, present.

I agree, we're a whiny society. I submit that there's a lot to whine about. Are you willing to go another step in acknowledging a double standard exists? I mean, has it occurred to you that Burr's film — which I actually made it halfway thru the other day — is basically a 2-hour whine fest? But he's a guy, so… he's not whining. He's a guy, so… he's onto something.

Here's my take: I'm with Burr on some of the film's commentary. And I'm also with Amy on some of hers.
Fully acknowledge the irony in my whining earlier in the thread.

That said, the movie really has nothing to do with older moms or older dads, and certainly didn’t touch on the issues she raised in her column. Could’ve been titled “Older Guys Rail Against Exaggerated PC Culture” and the guys looked and acted pretty immature and looked borderline foolish and inept throughout. She was just looking for an outlet.

Also, welcome back, RudyAdam

• Love
Reactions: OhAdam
Fully acknowledge the irony in my whining earlier in the thread.

That said, the movie really has nothing to do with older moms or older dads, and certainly didn’t touch on the issues she raised in her column. Could’ve been titled “Older Guys Rail Against Exaggerated PC Culture” and the guys looked and acted pretty immature and looked borderline foolish and inept throughout. She was just looking for an outlet.

Also, welcome back, RudyAdam
We're all looking for opportunities to speak to issues that are, at one point or another, central to our lived experience. Call me weird, but I can appreciate what this person has to say given her story. Her perspective is not one that gets much play. And she's right — women are becoming mothers later in life, for many reasons, including those she listed, at an increasing rate — and it's interesting their treatment versus that of men choosing to become fathers later in life.

Regardless, it's always amusing to me when, and why, and where, people get so rankled by criticism like that of the writer of this op ed.

I'll offer another title to the film: "The problem with being an older dad is everybody else." Now, this is going to trigger some folks, but that is, by definition, about as toxic masculinity as it gets.

Note: I enjoy Bill Burr's comedy.

What would a movie called Old Moms look like? Three 50+ year old women trying to get pregnant by 25 year olds but can't?

The movie itself was meh. Burr had some funny lines, but the rest of the cast was pretty bad.

We're all looking for opportunities to speak to issues that are, at one point or another, central to our lived experience. Call me weird, but I can appreciate what this person has to say given her story. Her perspective is not one that gets much play. And she's right — women are becoming mothers later in life, for many reasons, including those she listed, at an increasing rate — and it's interesting their treatment versus that of men choosing to become fathers later in life.

Regardless, it's always amusing to me when, and why, and where, people get so rankled by criticism like that of the writer of this op ed.

I'll offer another title to the film: "The problem with being an older dad is everybody else." Now, this is going to trigger some folks, but that is, by definition, about as toxic masculinity as it gets.

Note: I enjoy Bill Burr's comedy.
I've been a parent in both age groups--an early 20s dad with two daughters and did that both married and single. I'm also an "old dad" with my wife and I having our son at 40. I'll be 58 when he graduates HS and retiring at 62 when he finishes college.

The biggest thing I rail against for him is screens and kids not having the outside childhood I had--I really hate it for him. My childhood, comparatively speaking, was pretty awesome. Given he (my son) doesn't know what he doesn't know, and thinks he has it pretty good has no idea what he's truly missing (IMO).

MV5BMmYwYzY2YTktY2Q1Ny00ODFkLWE5NTEtMWE3YTgxMmFjODMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc2NTEzMw@@._V1_.jpg

Yeah, and it appears your need to seek attention probably stems from childhood issues. I assume daddy wasn't around to take you fishing.

• Haha
Reactions: OhAdam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT