ADVERTISEMENT

Co-Workers and Girl Scout Cookies

We've bought gs cookies for 20 years from the neighborhood kids and I remember one thing about the boxes... the colors. Green are thin mints, purple are the godawful coconut chocolate vomit cookies, and red are the created by God himself peanut butter patties.

If you are talking Samoas/caramel delights, you're dead to me.

Reactions: Mattski
How many boxes of cookies would you buy from this Scout? I’m in for 69.

41d8JN8-JrL.jpg

Yes, girl scout cookies are wonderful. Bring em on!

Just bought a dozen from her actually.

4d6d5be4-794b-4df5-b27f-7771b6171d45._CR0,0,700,933_PT0_SX300__.jpg

How many boxes of cookies would you buy from this Scout? I’m in for 69.

41d8JN8-JrL.jpg
While she may have earned those badges, I don't recognize them as authentic to Girl Scouts programming. I don't believe her to be a real Girl Scout.

Reactions: lucas80
While she may have earned those badges, I don't recognize them as authentic to Girl Scouts programming. I don't believe her to be a real Girl Scout.

Ohhhh, I'm buying it. I think she's the real deal. $5 will get you $10 she's going commando too.

Last edited:
GSUSA went through a rebrand as it approached its 100 year anniversary, leading into 2012. Cookie boxes of course got a refresh. The front of the box is pretty consistent with the previous iteration. The big change is the back, which is intended to be used as an alternate front. You have no idea how much the old blue hairs struggled to accept putting a sash on the cookies. Lol.

I'm 45. Was the Creative Director ushering the transition into the new branding. The cookie box design is a reflection of the cookie sales campaign I conceived and designed, which, in short, made the cookies the actors, featuring them as a force for good. "Every Cookie Has a Mission" billboards, posters, newspaper ads, PSA video and radio, etc. I think you can still find some of this crap online.

Yeah it's still out there, hell I think some of it still being used. Here's the long form video PSA:

Ahhh, yes, funny how seemingly simple visual design changes can really impact people. I deal with this in user interface software discussions all the time and changing people's mind (change manangement) is routinely the hardest part of my job).

I am in the middle of reading The Design of Everyday Things by Donald Norman, which is mostly the physical design of objects, but does have some visual design impacts hence my question about the box itself. Not what is on the box.

Very cool video.

Reactions: Rudolph
I can't resist… I designed those boxes, folks. Don't let my being a smug Leftist prick affect your purchasing decision, please. GSUSA isn't perfect, but overall it's a good organization and, contrary to natural skepticism of this cookie program, nobody is getting rich off of this army of little girls selling (well-designed) boxes of cookies. I entered that project with plenty of skepticism myself, believe me. Besides being a pretty damn good financial literacy program (assuming troop leaders do it right) the proceeds almost entirely are to fund pretty much all of the other programming designed for and experienced by the girls.

OK, you're spinning my head.

How is it that you designed the box?:confused::)

OK, you're spinning my head.

How is it that you designed the box?:confused::)
What do you mean? There are shapes and colors and words and images. All things being equal if I was doing that work today chances are I would have found some way to fit an HROT Easter egg on one of the boxes.

What do you mean? There are shapes and colors and words and images. All things being equal if I was doing that work today chances are I would have found some way to fit an HROT Easter egg on one of the boxes.

Wait, your post stated: I can't resist… I designed those boxes, folks.

The statement fascinated me and I was curious about the details. ;)

Wait, your post stated: I can't resist… I designed those boxes, folks.

The statement fascinated me and I was curious about the details. ;)
Oh, okay. Details. Hired as a contractor to help design stuff for the 51st Girl Scouts National Convention (they have one every three years). About the same time, like maybe a week or two before I started on my work, Laurel Richie was hired as Exec VP of Marketing & Communications. I presented my work to her and she loved it and kept giving me more work. As the work on the rebranding initiated she wanted me on her team helping to guide the work from the inside, helping direct work of other contractors and vendors, bridging and then facilitating the switch from old brand to new. So for three-plus years I advised & directed and produced an unreal amount of work, I still am amazed at the sheer quantity of it all. Included were, of course, the cookie boxes.

Since I mentioned Laurel… As the rebrand work was wrapping up the WNBA began sort of courting Laurel to be their next President. I was I think the only person internally aware of it. She asked me to brief her on some basketball basics (she's a sports fan, but mostly tennis), some history and culture of the women's game, thoughts on how to market the game, etc. That's how I came to work on WNBA stuff, and now G League as well, though not as much since she resigned a few years ago.

Oh, okay. Details. Hired as a contractor to help design stuff for the 51st Girl Scouts National Convention (they have one every three years). About the same time, like maybe a week or two before I started on my work, Laurel Richie was hired as Exec VP of Marketing & Communications. I presented my work to her and she loved it and kept giving me more work. As the work on the rebranding initiated she wanted me on her team helping to guide the work from the inside, helping direct work of other contractors and vendors, bridging and then facilitating the switch from old brand to new. So for three-plus years I advised & directed and produced an unreal amount of work, I still am amazed at the sheer quantity of it all. Included were, of course, the cookie boxes.

Since I mentioned Laurel… As the rebrand work was wrapping up the WNBA began sort of courting Laurel to be their next President. I was I think the only person internally aware of it. She asked me to brief her on some basketball basics (she's a sports fan, but mostly tennis), some history and culture of the women's game, thoughts on how to market the game, etc. That's how I came to work on WNBA stuff, and now G League as well, though not as much since she resigned a few years ago.

CSB

Really cool.

Reactions: Rudolph
I’m just wondering who works in a cube? I didn’t think HROT was infested with poors.

For some reason, I have a craving for some weed.
True story I have smoked weed and had secks at GSUSA headquarters. Neither with a Girl Scout. I'm bad but not that bad. I also got a rub & tug across the street. Also not with a Girl Scout. #MondayConfessions

When a little dude or dudette comes to the house with World's Finest chocolates I get 20. They almost fainted from the shock.

"You wouldn't want to buy any candy bars would you?"

I hate when co workers sell their kids shit at work, except for Girl Scout cookies. That is ok because those are actually good. Who wants fruit, breads, or useless junk?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT