ADVERTISEMENT

Do you attend after work happy hours or socialize with your co-workers outside work time?

BrianNole777

HR All-American
Jan 27, 2023
What are the pros and cons of this?

The last time I had a job with a company was 10 years ago. The office was a bit like high school with lots of gossip. I generally avoided the after work happy hours that a dozen or so co-workers went to. I just didn't see much upside. I wasn't trying to climb the company ladder or anything.

I'm self-employed since then and I volunteer at a place that I get referrals from. They have a breakfast or Happy Hour quarterly and I always go, mostly to network but it's good seeing them occasionally. If I saw them weekly, I probably wouldn't go unless it was required.

How about you?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I started working for my company when I was 25, and I worked 1PM-10PM. There was a handful of us around the same age that worked the same shift, and we all happened to get along really well. We'd usually go out for beers after work 1-2 times a week. Sometimes it was just a beer or 2, other times we'd close down the bar. It was a lot of fun actually.

But that was 12 years ago. Now I work remotely, so I'm not around my co-workers often. And when I do go into the office, I've got an hour drive back home afterwards, so I usually just want to get my ass back home for the night.

I try to. The people you work with should be a selling point for the job. I've been lucky with the current job and the one before that the people I work with are the people I also enjoy hanging out socially with. Not all of them, certainly, but enough of them. If I didn't have co-workers I enjoyed getting a drink and hanging out with, I probably wouldn't enjoy working with them during the day.

Back in my younger days, yes on occasion I would socialize with coworkers outside of the office environment. The last twenty years or so after assuming the role of boss, not so much. I actually prefer it that way to keep a bit more distance between personal and professional relationships.

Seriously though, in the early years after college a handful of us would go to a little bar down the street every Friday, drink a few pitchers & eat dinner...typical bar food, burgers & wings. Always had a good time. Nowadays, we'll all get together after work (or leave early) for drinks maybe once a quarter.

I try to. The people you work with should be a selling point for the job. I've been lucky with the current job and the one before that the people I work with are the people I also enjoy hanging out socially with. Not all of them, certainly, but enough of them. If I didn't have co-workers I enjoyed getting a drink and hanging out with, I probably wouldn't enjoy working with them during the day.

That's alotta co-worker time!

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I did when I was younger and there was more of an overlap between social and work circles. Not so much now that I'm older. We do the occasional team lunch, but my social circle is pretty well set and/or time spent either parents of kids' friends

Reactions: BrianNole777
I mostly avoid. Now I avoid because I work from home. Previously, before COVID my built in excuse is that I refuse to drink and drive. My commute was 45 each way.

I try to avoid my work world and personal world colliding.

How many covid vaccines did you get??

I got 6. 👍

I did when I was younger and there was more of an overlap between social and work circles. Not so much now that I'm older. We do the occasional team lunch, but my social circle is pretty well set and/or time spent either parents of kids' friends

How old are you today?

Younger days, no, didn't want to hang out with a bunch old farts outside work. Nowadays that I am one, I do, only happen 1-2 times a month and usually is just us old people.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Of course I do. I drink at one bar while my co-workers are at another bar. Perfect scenario. It’s one thing to work with them but don’t need to socialize with those weird people.

no-balls-spacey-kevin.gif

Last edited:
I like them for the most part. Mostly because I like the people I work with and getting to know them a bit. Going from a department where it was just two of us to a department with over 20, I do enjoy the social part of the job.

I usually don't go to random happy hours, but our office does a lot of group outings...baseball games, soccer matches, happy hours, we even went curling once. I try to go to as many as I can.

Maybe I'm just weird, but in my career I have liked my co-workers a lot, I have a lot of respect for them, I think they are pretty cool, and I have never gone to dinner or drinks with them. I generally find I enjoy most people I meet though. I've always had a professional distance. Maybe good, maybe bad, don't know.

I've done stuff like help my co-workers move, I helped one roof his house once, etc. I like doing volunteer opportunities through work. I dunno.

What are the pros and cons of this?

The last time I had a job with a company was 10 years ago. The office was a bit like high school with lots of gossip. I generally avoided the after work happy hours that a dozen or so co-workers went to. I just didn't see much upside. I wasn't trying to climb the company ladder or anything.

I'm self-employed since then and I volunteer at a place that I get referrals from. They have a breakfast or Happy Hour quarterly and I always go, mostly to network but it's good seeing them occasionally. If I saw them weekly, I probably wouldn't go unless it was required.

How about you?
I get along with pretty much everybody so don't mind socializing after work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT