ADVERTISEMENT

Co-Workers and Girl Scout Cookies

CuttyDoesIt

HR Heisman
Dec 25, 2012
Am i the only one that gets annoyed when co workers bring their kid office to office, cube to cube "selling cookies." I'm obviously not gonna look my co worker and their 8 year old in the eye and tell them no. Especially if the co worker out ranks me.

In my opinion there is one way to do this in the office- Email: "Hey everyone Eliza is selling cookies stop by if you want to place a order"

Am i the only one that gets annoyed when co workers bring their kid office to office, cube to cube "selling cookies." I'm obviously not gonna look my co worker and their 8 year old in the eye and tell them no. Especially if the co worker out ranks me.

In my opinion there is one way to do this in the office- Email: "Hey everyone Eliza is selling cookies stop by if you want to place a order"

Save boxes from last year, fill a desk drawer with the empties, and just pull that out when they come by. "Oh....sorry, I've already overbought and gained 3# so far, but look me up next year!!"

;)

Can buy them online now, why bother totting your child around on a professional version of show-and-tell. How vain. If we wanted to see how perfect your kids are we'd unblock you on instagram.

Btw, samoas are awesome. Need more, now.

I can't resist… I designed those boxes, folks. Don't let my being a smug Leftist prick affect your purchasing decision, please. GSUSA isn't perfect, but overall it's a good organization and, contrary to natural skepticism of this cookie program, nobody is getting rich off of this army of little girls selling (well-designed) boxes of cookies. I entered that project with plenty of skepticism myself, believe me. Besides being a pretty damn good financial literacy program (assuming troop leaders do it right) the proceeds almost entirely are to fund pretty much all of the other programming designed for and experienced by the girls.

I can't resist… I designed those boxes, folks. Don't let my being a smug Leftist prick affect your purchasing decision, please. GSUSA isn't perfect, but overall it's a good organization and, contrary to natural skepticism of this cookie program, nobody is getting rich off of this army of little girls selling (well-designed) boxes of cookies. I entered that project with plenty of skepticism myself, believe me. Besides being a pretty damn good financial literacy program (assuming troop leaders do it right) the proceeds almost entirely are to fund pretty much all of the other programming designed for and experienced by the girls.

God damn it now I feel bad for telling them no.

If the kid comes to my office or house and gives the sales pitch, I will buy. If it is just the mom (or dad) coming around with the sign-up list, I will not buy.
The opposite here. I’ll buy if you bring me a sheet. I will not if you bring your damn kid into the office.

Can buy them online now, why bother totting your child around on a professional version of show-and-tell. How vain. If we wanted to see how perfect your kids are we'd unblock you on instagram.

Btw, samoas are awesome. Need more, now.

Samoas....blah..

Get me them PB sammich cookies. Those are like crack.

Tell the kid (and make sure parent is within earshot) that "I'd love to buy some (insert name of favorite cookie) but things are tough around my house this year since my wife's job was negatively impacted by the government shutdown" (even if it wasn't).

They will not only quit pressuring you to buy, but the gossip mill will start working and you will have coworkers buying you tons of cookies.

The opposite here. I’ll buy if you bring me a sheet. I will not if you bring your damn kid into the office.
DirtyFineCricket-small.gif

I have no issues telling them NO regardless of their position. Nor would I provide any explanation. Then if they try to overcome the decline or ask why. Then they may very well get an earful. Good thing I work from home so don't have this issue.

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt
This thread needs pictures of hot, pushy moms and their cookies.

What this thread needs is a poll on the cookie options. PeanutButter Tagalongs are the only I really crave. Rest, meh.

edit - spelling, I was still thinking of single moms needing support.

Last edited:
I can't resist… I designed those boxes, folks. ......

So serious questions.....
1) how old are you!? I didn't think the boxes changed since I was wee little and could eat a whole box by myself and not gain weight. And the boxes we set by then.
2) what exactly has changed in the box design? Or just did it a while ago and you are talking design of imagery?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rudolph
For over 50 years selling Girl Scout cookies has been
a part of the American scene. When Girl Scouts ring
your doorbell at your home, greet them with a smile and
order several boxes of your favorite cookies. This is just
one more heartwarming display of Americana.

Reactions: Rudolph

"I'm so sorry. I bought 10 boxes from my niece, Elizabeth."

I have no issues telling them NO regardless of their position. Nor would I provide any explanation. Then if they try to overcome the decline or ask why. Then they may very well get an earful. Good thing I work from home so don't have this issue.

You seem like a dick.

So serious questions.....
1) how old are you!? I didn't think the boxes changed since I was wee little and could eat a whole box by myself
2) what exactly has changed in the box design? Or just did it a while ago and you are talking design of imagery?
GSUSA went through a rebrand as it approached its 100 year anniversary, leading into 2012. Cookie boxes of course got a refresh. The front of the box is pretty consistent with the previous iteration. The big change is the back, which is intended to be used as an alternate front. You have no idea how much the old blue hairs struggled to accept putting a sash on the cookies. Lol.

I'm 45. Was the Creative Director ushering the transition into the new branding. The cookie box design is a reflection of the cookie sales campaign I conceived and designed, which, in short, made the cookies the actors, featuring them as a force for good. "Every Cookie Has a Mission" billboards, posters, newspaper ads, PSA video and radio, etc. I think you can still find some of this crap online.

Yeah it's still out there, hell I think some of it still being used. Here's the long form video PSA:

Reactions: funksouljon
I don't mind being asked to buy girl scout cookies by co-workers. I have no problem saying "no' to the folks hawking them outside the grocery store.

I do have a problem with the Boy Scouts and their popcorn/caramel corn. Girl Scout cookies are a bit of a ripoff, but the Boy Scouts take it to a whole new level. And the popcorn's not that great.

I buy a lot of these three:

6a00d8341c630a53ef01676014a295970b-pi

DSC_8759.jpg

Thin-Mint-Chocolate-Cookies.jpg

You seem like a dick.
Definitely can be. And I have no issues with that.

In this scenario of telling a kid and his parent No to them selling something at where I work isn't a dick move. I wasn't speaking specifically to Girl Scout cookies. I like girl scout cookies. My opinion is people/co-workers at larger businesses/corporations for the most part shouldn't be selling things at work unless there a specific policy that states employees should not feel obligated to purchase it. Additionally when someone declines, there shouldn't be a guilt trip or additional actions to attempt to overcome the decline. Especially a manager who may hold it against someone that declines and they put their employees in a uncomfortable situation of buying something they may not want just to not get on their manager's bad side.

I perform my job well and don't need to resort to brown nosing perceived or otherwise to stay employed and get promotions, raises and bonuses. And I do not allow someone's level of management above me dictate that I won't say No to a sale of a product being pushed by their child.

So if they attempted to sell me something and I simply and professionally said No thanks and that makes me a dick. Then sure I am a dick!

I hate people selling cookies at work too. HATE IT.

I don't need the gawd damn things, but I always buy.

I never let me kid sell any thing at the office.

My wife and I would just take the order sheet to work, and work outside with her for one hockey game. They pretty much sold themselves, and she was second highest seller in our district both times.

GSUSA went through a rebrand as it approached its 100 year anniversary, leading into 2012. Cookie boxes of course got a refresh. The front of the box is pretty consistent with the previous iteration. The big change is the back, which is intended to be used as an alternate front. You have no idea how much the old blue hairs struggled to accept putting a sash on the cookies. Lol.

I'm 45. Was the Creative Director ushering the transition into the new branding. The cookie box design is a reflection of the cookie sales campaign I conceived and designed, which, in short, made the cookies the actors, featuring them as a force for good. "Every Cookie Has a Mission" billboards, posters, newspaper ads, PSA video and radio, etc. I think you can still find some of this crap online.

Yeah it's still out there, hell I think some of it still being used. Here's the long form video PSA:

We've bought gs cookies for 20 years from the neighborhood kids and I remember one thing about the boxes... the colors. Green are thin mints, purple are the godawful coconut chocolate vomit cookies, and red are the created by God himself peanut butter patties.

My wife and I would just take the order sheet to work, and work outside with her for one hockey game. They pretty much sold themselves, and she was second highest seller in our district both times.

We employed a sales manager who was outstanding. We worked together for years. She was incredible. She said when she was in Girl Scouts she couldn't stand losing and she would walk to every single house in her town of 10,000 people.

I have no doubt that is true. Always made me feel kind of bad for her, but I don't know why.

We've bought gs cookies for 20 years from the neighborhood kids and I remember one thing about the boxes... the colors. Green are thin mints, purple are the godawful coconut chocolate vomit cookies, and red are the created by God himself peanut butter patties.
They're almost all a little brighter, more lively now, you're welcome. Well, the colors, I can't speak for the kids.

Reactions: Mattski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT