ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Moves

Nobody likes Rob Koll more than Rob Koll
After listening to his recent interview on FRL, I find this move hilarious. I know he couldn't tip his hand at a move, but he spent the hour talking up his program and how great it was living in Palo Alto. "We have palm trees!"

He said they were building a powerhouse and talked about his 2024 class. Now it all just seems disingenuous as he leaves Stanford for his third program in four years.

The dude seems about as loyal as a hungry dog.

Reactions: vhsalum and T8KUDWN
After listening to his recent interview on FRL, I find this move hilarious. I know he couldn't tip his hand at a move, but he spent the hour talking up his program and how great it was living in Palo Alto. "We have palm trees!"

He said they were building a powerhouse and talked about his 2024 class. Now it all just seems disingenuous as he leaves Stanford for his third program in four years.

The dude seems about as loyal as a hungry dog.
He was at Cornell for like 30 years and UNC is his alma mater (and a better job at that). UNC opening up is pretty shocking. I don't blame him for jumping at all. Tom did the same thing at VT.

He was at Cornell for like 30 years and UNC is his alma mater (and a better job at that). UNC opening up is pretty shocking. I don't blame him for jumping at all. Tom did the same thing at VT.
Maybe you should listen to the interview with Koll, before you compare him to Tom leaving VT. There was never a question that Tom would leave if the Iowa job was offered to him.

Reactions: GlenHawk
Maybe you should listen to the interview with Koll, before you compare him to Tom leaving VT. There was never a question that Tom would leave if the Iowa job was offered to him.
This! It was never a secret what Tom’s ultimate goals were.

Koll made it seem like he was on the verge of dynasty at Stanford.. then he left 30 days later.

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN

Koll made it seem like he was on the verge of dynasty at Stanford.. then he left 30 days later.
You're right. Tom never talked about building a powerhouse at VT because he knew his dream school would open up just a year later.

Nobody expected Coleman to leave.

Color me as not a fan of Koll and it seems weird that I’m going to sort of defend the guy here, but Stanford failed to follow through on their promises to him a couple different times and I don’t blame him for not sticking around for the third time.

Once when he was hired, then again this spring when he was 99.9% going to Oklahoma.

I’m not sure if this isn’t going to be the end for Stanford wrestling in a couple years because there is zero support for the program from the administration. Worse now than even two years ago when Griffith saved the program

Reactions: GlenHawk and js8793
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT