ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado teen flouts school policy, wears Mexican and US flag sash to graduation

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Told it was in violation of school policy, but does it anyway. ...and we wonder why kids today have zero respect for those in authority.

"The judge also pointed out that the district’s policy would have permitted Villasano to reproduce the design of the sash on her graduation cap, and would have allowed her to wear the sash before and after the ceremony."

You could put a pile of dog shit in the food court of a mall with a security guard standing by it and sign saying “Do Not Touch”, and by the end of the day, you’d have 50 teenagers asking “Why can’t we touch it?” and complaining about not being able to handle the dog shit. Simply because they were told not to.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
I'd prefer that every school ban all sashes other than those earned for academic achievements (i.e. the valedictorian & salutatorian wear a separate color, and those at the various cum laude levels wear a sash to signify that accomplishment.

That's it. No other sashes or medals, and no decorating the cap.

I'd prefer that every school ban all sashes other than those earned for academic achievements (i.e. the valedictorian & salutatorian wear a separate color, and those at the various cum laude levels wear a sash to signify that accomplishment.

That's it. No other sashes or medals, and no decorating the cap.
I watched my niece's graduation this weekend. 700 graduates and it seemed like every one had a unique combination of sashes, cords, and medals. None of it made any sense.

This doesn't really seem to be much of a big deal on the sash, but I understand wanting uniformity for a grad ceremony.
I don't like the rule and will do what I want shouldn't be acceptable. Might as well learn this lesson now.

You could put a pile of dog shit in the food court of a mall with a security guard standing by it and sign saying “Do Not Touch”, and by the end of the day, you’d have 50 teenagers asking “Why can’t we touch it?” and complaining about not being able to handle the dog shit. Simply because they were told not to.

Yep, one can see you are most certainly a teacher. Very accurate.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Yep, one can see you are most certainly a teacher. Very accurate.
Something close to this actually happened at a school I was at 15 years ago. Doors to the gym got painted, so during lunch a sign was put up on the steps saying “Do not hang out on stoop during lunch.” The sign wasn’t needed because no one ever did. Until that sign was posted. Then suddenly every turd was up in arms that they couldn’t eat lunch on the stoop.

This doesn't really seem to be much of a big deal on the sash, but I understand wanting uniformity for a grad ceremony.
I don't like the rule and will do what I want shouldn't be acceptable. Might as well learn this lesson now.
She didn't learn a dadgum thing.

Officer: You were doing 40 in a 30.
Girl: So? I feel like I'm able to drive very safely at 40. 30 is ridiculous.

I can't imagine telling my drill sergeant, "Hell no I'm not shaving my head. I don't care if it's a rule."

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I went to graduation a couple of days ago...saw some with a few different sashes for different countries. Hell one kid walked in with an American flag draped over his shoulder. Really only thought the American flag was out of place.

Everyone, a good thousand students plus, had different things on them based on awards and clubs.

I did notice the hour or do it took to go through giving each student their diploma...two lines...given out as fast as the name could be read.

Should have left...friends kid was in the first ten honor students to get her diploma :)

And mark it “Free!” and the line would be out into the mall parking lot, or turn into a Black Friday riot.

How so? I disagree, but can possibly be persuaded if a compelling argument is presented.

She learned and acted on the fact that the school no longer has the same amount of authority over her and decided that any abstract punishment was worth being able to express herself in a very mild and respectful way at a once in a lifetime event.

Her courage to take quiet action is commendable.

We did not get our diplomas until after the ceremony. It was made clear to us that if we acted out, we would serve the detention before getting it. Of course that was closing in on 40 years ago now.
If you F-ed up at graduation my school wouldn’t confirm or send your transcript until you completed some amount of community service.

She learned and acted on the fact that the school no longer has the same amount of authority over her and decided that any abstract punishment was worth being able to express herself in a very mild and respectful way at a once in a lifetime event.

I still disagree. IMO, she saw a rule that applied to everyone equally and said, "Meh, eff it, I'm going to do my own thing" (despite what a judge said) and got away with it because the school likely didn't want further disruption/distraction for the other graduates. Basically, the girl put her wants above her classmate's and certainly above established policy (despite the many compromises either presented to her or already in place).

If you don't like a rule, fight to change it, don't break it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Nah, it's not commendable in any way. A graduation is a ritualistic ceremony to honor academic accomplishments & achievements, not a time for making personal statements. At my local high school (from which I graduated many years ago, my older graduated two years ago, and my younger graduates in a couple of days), the tradition is for the guys to wear black cap/gown and the girls red cap/gown (those are the school colors). The exceptions are that the valedictorian & salutatorian wear white cap/gown. Since the school no longer has the same amount of authority over the grads, is it acceptable for them to decide "I look better in white, I'm wearing a white cap/gown" or "I deserve to stand out, I'm gonna wear blue"? Nobody's been hurt by a kid doing something like that, right?

Nah, it's not commendable in any way. A graduation is a ritualistic ceremony to honor academic accomplishments & achievements, not a time for making personal statements. At my local high school (from which I graduated many years ago, my older graduated two years ago, and my younger graduates in a couple of days), the tradition is for the guys to wear black cap/gown and the girls red cap/gown (those are the school colors). The exceptions are that the valedictorian & salutatorian wear white cap/gown. Since the school no longer has the same amount of authority over the grads, is it acceptable for them to decide "I look better in white, I'm wearing a white cap/gown" or "I deserve to stand out, I'm gonna wear blue"? Nobody's been hurt by a kid doing something like that, right?
I always thought it was dumb to fold my t-shirts in 6" squares during basic training. However, it was an established rule that applied to every recruit equally. ...the thought process was, if you can't follow a very basic rule, then you really have no business being in the military.

You're wrong, and long-winded.

• Love
Reactions: ping72
Translation: she saw a rule that applied to everyone equally and said, "Meh, eff it, I'm going to do my own thing" (despite what a judge said) and got away with it because the school likely didn't want further disruption/distraction for the other graduates. Basically, the girl put her wants above her classmate's and certainly above established policy (despite the many compromises either presented to her or already in place).

You lied about being open to persuasion.

Reactions: millah_22
Translation: she saw a rule that applied to everyone equally and said, "Meh, eff it, I'm going to do my own thing" (despite what a judge said) and got away with it because the school likely didn't want further disruption/distraction for the other graduates. Basically, the girl put her wants above her classmate's and certainly above established policy (despite the many compromises either presented to her or already in place).

Tinker v. Des Moines (1969)

At a public school in Des Moines, Iowa, students planned to wear black armbands at school as a silent protest against the Vietnam War.

When the principal became aware of the plan, he warned the students that they would be suspended if they wore the armbands to school because the protest might cause a disruption in the learning environment. Despite the warning, some students wore the armbands and were suspended.

During their suspension, the students' parents sued the school for violating their children's right to free speech. The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa sided with the school’s position, ruling that wearing the armbands could disrupt learning.

The students appealed the ruling to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit but lost and took the case to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Decision and Reasoning

In a 7-2 decision, the Supreme Court’s majority ruled that neither students nor teachers “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.” The Court took the position that school officials could not prohibit only on the suspicion that the speech might disrupt the learning environment.

How so? You didn't persuade me. Do better. 😉

By 'translating' what I said into your opinion, It makes me think it's a waste of time to even try.

As an aside, I'm impressed with how much respect I'm seeing for the sanctity of high school graduation ceremonies, the iron fist rule that some high schools apparently have over their students and closely some associate this high school in 2023 with their own basic training experience.

By 'translating' what I said into your opinion, It makes me think it's a waste of time to even try.

As an aside, I'm impressed with how much respect I'm seeing for the sanctity of high school graduation ceremonies, the iron fist rule that some high schools apparently have over their students and closely some associate this high school in 2023 with their own basic training experience.
Fair enough. I edited the intro to my response above. I see it like this:
My HOA has several rules I don't agree with and, in fact, believe are stupid. For example, we can only have Bermuda grass, can't have basket ball goals in the street and no street parking between 1-5am.

1. These rules were in place when I moved in and apply to everyone.
2. I don't just get to break them (with out consequence).

I'm working with the BOD to have the DCCRs changed.

The girl in the article challenged the rule, lost, but did it any way. I just don't see why that is being commended. In my experience if an institution makes an exception for one person, then it winds up being an exception to everything and chaos ensues. Typically, schools just want to keep graduations simple and uniform.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Tinker v. Des Moines (1969)

At a public school in Des Moines, Iowa, students planned to wear black armbands at school as a silent protest against the Vietnam War.

When the principal became aware of the plan, he warned the students that they would be suspended if they wore the armbands to school because the protest might cause a disruption in the learning environment. Despite the warning, some students wore the armbands and were suspended.

During their suspension, the students' parents sued the school for violating their children's right to free speech. The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa sided with the school’s position, ruling that wearing the armbands could disrupt learning.

The students appealed the ruling to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit but lost and took the case to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Decision and Reasoning

In a 7-2 decision, the Supreme Court’s majority ruled that neither students nor teachers “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.” The Court took the position that school officials could not prohibit only on the suspicion that the speech might disrupt the learning environment.
Looks like the kids didn't just do what they wanted. They took the case to court and won. The girl in the article I posted took the case to court and lost, but did it anyway.

While Naomi may prefer to wear the sash during the graduation ceremony, the Court respectfully agrees with the School District and concludes that Naomi will not suffer irreparable injury by having to express her culture in a form other than the sash,”

As I stated in post #23 if you don't like a rule, challenge it to make a change, don't break it because you disagree with it.

Hell, I look at the military and all the changes that have been implemented since I've retired regarding uniformity. Some I agree with, some I don't, but all of those changes came from petitioning the DoD, not just showing up for duty doing whatever you want.

Not sure why some frown upon following rules. Read the numerous teacher threads on this forum--kids doing whatever they want is not having a positive impact on the learning environment. We're going to wind up here:

Reactions: seminoleed
Looks like the kids didn't just do what they wanted. They took the case to court and won. The girl in the article I posted took the case to court and lost, but did it anyway.

While Naomi may prefer to wear the sash during the graduation ceremony, the Court respectfully agrees with the School District and concludes that Naomi will not suffer irreparable injury by having to express her culture in a form other than the sash,”

As I stated in post #23 if you don't like a rule, challenge it to make a change, don't break it because you disagree with it.

Hell, I look at the military and all the changes that have been implemented since I've retired regarding uniformity. Some I agree with, some I don't, but all of those changes came from petitioning the DoD, not just showing up for duty doing whatever you want.
The court - the Supreme Court - already ruled on this.

She expressed herself anyway knowing there is little risk in doing so.

Trying to compare this to an HOA or the military is absurd.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT