ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado teen flouts school policy, wears Mexican and US flag sash to graduation

Fair enough. I edited the intro to my response above. I see it like this:
My HOA has several rules I don't agree with and, in fact, believe are stupid. For example, we can only have Bermuda grass, can't have basket ball goals in the street and no street parking between 1-5am.

1. These rules were in place when I moved in and apply to everyone.
2. I don't just get to break them (with out consequence).

I'm working with the BOD to have the DCCRs changed.

The girl in the article challenged the rule, lost, but did it any way. I just don't see why that is being commended. In my experience if an institution makes an exception for one person, then it winds up being an exception to everything and chaos ensues. Typically, schools just want to keep graduations simple and uniform.

That's fair, I just do not care about whether or not that institution maintains decorum and I certainly don't see this as some sort of harbinger of chaos.

This is high school. And despite the claims here, there is a pretty long tradition of graduates altering their gowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyHawk
I'd prefer that every school ban all sashes other than those earned for academic achievements (i.e. the valedictorian & salutatorian wear a separate color, and those at the various cum laude levels wear a sash to signify that accomplishment.

That's it. No other sashes or medals, and no decorating the cap.

Our graduation last weekend had kids with different flags and sashes; I guess I don't see the issue. I do think it's funny that there are a lot more cords being worn than were handed out at the senior award ceremony. That's some insecure parenting to buy your kid a cord that he/she/they/them/it didn't earn.

A lot of you sound extremely old and lost in the contemporary world.

Good for her. There’s nothing more American than questioning arbitrary and purposeless authority. 🇺🇸

People should often question why and how we do things. Sometimes they’ll get a good answer: we’ve tried it a bunch of ways and this is what works best. But often they’ll get an answer like “it’s just the way we’ve always done it” or “person X wants it that way” or “it was the best way…a generation ago when life was very different for teens.”

A lot of you sound extremely old and lost in the contemporary world.

Good for her. There’s nothing more American than questioning arbitrary and purposeless authority. 🇺🇸

People should often question why and how we do things. Sometimes they’ll get a good answer: we’ve tried it a bunch of ways and this is what works best. But often they’ll get an answer like “it’s just the way we’ve always done it” or “person X wants it that way” or “it was the best way…a generation ago when life was very different for teens.”
IMO, good on her for questioning. Shame on her (and her parents) for doing whatever she wanted after she didn't get the answer she was hoping for. Sometimes the answer is just no. If she's that passionate about it, then she should continue to fight it for the classmates coming up behind her.

A Colorado student barred from wearing a sash representing the flags of Mexico and the United States to her high school graduation did so anyway.

Growing up we had a dress code that required us to wear a belt and tucked in collard shirts. I hated the rule, but I followed it. I expressed myself with some high-top chuck's and bright laces. :)

il_fullxfull.4047531965_2l7s.jpg

I always thought it was dumb to fold my t-shirts in 6" squares during basic training. However, it was an established rule that applied to every recruit equally. ...the thought process was, if you can't follow a very basic rule, then you really have no business being in the military.

What the eff does basic training have to do with a high school graduation?

IMO, good on her for questioning. Shame on her (and her parents) for doing whatever she wanted after she didn't get the answer she was hoping for. Sometimes the answer is just no. If she's that passionate about it, then she should continue to fight it for the classmates coming up behind her.

A Colorado student barred from wearing a sash representing the flags of Mexico and the United States to her high school graduation did so anyway.

Growing up we had a dress code that required us to wear a belt and tucked in collard shirts. I hated the rule, but I followed it. I expressed myself with some high-top chuck's and bright laces. :)

il_fullxfull.4047531965_2l7s.jpg

So because you were willing to blindly follow stupid rules everyone should??

Don’t hate on her for her actions in defying stupid rules. Be mad at yourself for not having the balls to challenge yours.

You sound like one of the boomers ragging on young adults for stopping work at 40 hours. Just because you were a dumbass and let yourself be exploited doesn’t mean others should, too.

What the eff does basic training have to do with a high school graduation?
Literally? Nothing. Comparatively? A point. Just because we disagree with something or potentially find it stupid, doesn't mean that we just get to choose not to do what we're supposed to do. The girl didn't like the rule. She proceeded to challenge the rule through the proper channels. She was denied, and then still went and did it. I don't understand why that is celebrated.

We can just agree to disagree. If my child wanted to wear something in violation of the school dress code, I would support them in challenging said dress code. But at the end of the day if my child wasn't able to change the rules I would not support them in violating them no matter how small or trivial they may seem.

Of course, My views are probably different because I am from a family of Educators who deal with children constantly challenging and violating rules.

We did not get our diplomas until after the ceremony. It was made clear to us that if we acted out, we would serve the detention before getting it. Of course that was closing in on 40 years ago now.
Same thing happened to us. The diploma we were handed was unsigned. We were warned about any acting out and what it would cost. This was in 2003.

So because you were willing to blindly follow stupid rules everyone should??
Who said they are stupid? That sounds like it's your opinion. I don't have an opinion on whether or not the rule is stupid (I can see both perspectives), but will side with the governing body in this particular instance.
Don’t hate on her for her actions in defying stupid rules. Be mad at yourself for not having the balls to challenge yours.
As I've said numerous times, I have zero issue with challenging the rules. My issue is her violating them when she didn't get her way. If she was just going to break the rule and do her own thing, then why bother going through the proper channels to challenge it in the first place?
You sound like one of the boomers ragging on young adults for stopping work at 40 hours. Just because you were a dumbass and let yourself be exploited doesn’t mean others should, too.
So, my basic training illustration is scoffed at, but comparing a high school girl breaking a rule to boomers not stopping work at 40 hours is somehow relevant? I'm 49 and I won't apologize for following rules.

A 4-lane road near our home is 45MPH. I conducted a crap ton of research and petitioned Bexar County, TX to change the speed limit to 55. I felt I had a pretty compelling argument, but I was denied. Guess what, I don't get to drive 55 just because I want to and certainly w/o consequence. Again, I'm all for challenging something you disagree with. I do it often.

Heck, I even stated earlier in the thread I've working with our HOA BOD to change several of our DCCRs. It's a painful process, but it's the proper process and until they are changed, I'm stuck following them, no matter how trivial they seem.

A 4-lane road near our home is 45MPH. I conducted a crap ton of research and petitioned Bexar County, TX to change the speed limit to 55. I felt I had a pretty compelling argument, but I was denied. Guess what, I don't get to drive 55 just because I want to and certainly w/o consequence. Again, I'm all for challenging something you disagree with. I do it often.
...and to follow-up on this. I actually learned a lot about different road types, speeding laws, etc. For example, Texas does not have an "absolute speeding" law, but rather a “presumed” or prima facie speeding law. I'd venture to say the young lady in the OP learned a lot in her quest for change and I have the up most respect for her endeavor, right up until the point where she decided to make it all meaningless by ignoring the results she disagreed with. I'd have much rather seen her adopt the compromises she was offered, then said she wasn't done fighting the issue and would continue for the classmates behind her.

Sure, the topic itself seems pretty insignificant--a high school graduation dress code--but the character it can build or reveal during the process is what's important IMO.

Again, we'll likely just have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough. I edited the intro to my response above. I see it like this:
My HOA has several rules I don't agree with and, in fact, believe are stupid. For example, we can only have Bermuda grass, can't have basket ball goals in the street and no street parking between 1-5am.

1. These rules were in place when I moved in and apply to everyone.
2. I don't just get to break them (with out consequence).

I'm working with the BOD to have the DCCRs changed.

The girl in the article challenged the rule, lost, but did it any way. I just don't see why that is being commended. In my experience if an institution makes an exception for one person, then it winds up being an exception to everything and chaos ensues. Typically, schools just want to keep graduations simple and uniform.
You are not required by law to live in a development with an HOA.

You are not required by law to live in a development with an HOA.
You are 100% correct. Which is why I follow the rules until we're able to get them changed. The issue for our HOA is quorum. The DCCR changes we've presented the last several years have overwhelmingly been voted in favor of, problem is getting the numbers. We missed it by just under 100 homes last Spring.

You are 100% correct. Which is why I follow the rules until we're able to get them changed. The issue for our HOA is quorum. The DCCR changes we've presented the last several years have overwhelmingly been voted in favor of, problem is getting the numbers. We missed it by just under 100 homes last Spring.
The point is, you can move. Kids are required to go to school.
She tried the legal route and ended up with a non-violent protest. If the school decides to attempt to punish her I'm sure she understood that before she went to graduation.

Kids are required to go to school.
And follow a bunch of other rules as well. Who's decision is it to determine what rules are important vs the ones deemed unimportant? Where is the line drawn and who draws it? Just this thread alone shows that opinions are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Do we go with majority rules? If so, should the minority accept the outcome?

MAGAs sure as hell didn't want to accept the fact they lost the majority outcome vote and they were adults. Our hope is the Jan 6th trials and outcomes serve as a deterrent to other dumbassery. What's the deterrent next graduation when kids want to wear whatever they want? Many may think it's silly, but this girl wanted to represent her heritage, some nitwit may want to represent his favorite band (kids are kids, so don't scoff).

She tried the legal route and ended up with a non-violent protest. If the school decides to attempt to punish her I'm sure she understood that before she went to graduation.
I'd venture to say the school likely feels it isn't worth the effort (or the bad press).

Do you all know what type of ceremony I hate more than a graduation ceremony?

There are none. Such a complete waste of time. I was essentially forced to go to my own (HS & College).

Reactions: ping72
And follow a bunch of other rules as well. Who's decision is it to determine what rules are important vs the ones deemed unimportant? Where is the line drawn and who draws it? Just this thread alone shows that opinions are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Do we go with majority rules? If so, should the minority accept the outcome?

MAGAs sure as hell didn't want to accept the fact they lost the majority outcome vote and they were adults. Our hope is the Jan 6th trials and outcomes serve as a deterrent to other dumbassery. What's the deterrent next graduation when kids want to wear whatever they want? Many may think it's silly, but this girl wanted to represent her heritage, some nitwit may want to represent his favorite band (kids are kids, so don't scoff).

I'd venture to say the school likely feels it isn't worth the effort (or the bad press).
We are. If you don't like a law then you fight it. How far you fight it depends on how invested you are in the fight.
She chose to continue fighting. She understands the consequences.
For MAGAts there isn't a law they are fighting, it's a result. They're free to try to prove the result is wrong. We're free to not support them.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT