ADVERTISEMENT

Column: A fan at Wrigley Field displayed a profane political message. Is it anything goes in 2024?

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Fans were seen filing out of Wrigley Field on Sunday afternoon after singing “Go, Cubs, Go” following the team’s 2-1, 10-inning win over the Arizona Diamondbacks.

It was a happy scene for the Marquee Sports Network audience, until you looked at the bottom corner of the TV screen and noticed a middle-aged man exiting the ballpark wearing a black T-shirt that read, “F−−− Joe Biden.”

It was too quick for Marquee to cut away and the postgame show was about to begin anyway, so … no harm, no foul?

But seeing the fan wearing an obscene message aimed at the president of the United States made me wonder whether the team had relaxed its policy on inappropriate attire inside the ballpark.

Would it also be OK to wear “F−−− Trump” or even “F−−− Ricketts”?

Or anyone else, for that matter?

Has the public discourse changed so much that anything goes in 2024?

These are sensitive times, of course, no matter whose side you are on.

Two incidents Sunday brought politics into the limelight at baseball stadiums, though it was players, not fans, who were the alleged instigators.

The St. Louis Cardinals were accused on social media of inventing an homage to presidential candidate Donald Trump when Alec Burleson homered and cupped his right ear while raising his left fist as he rounded third base. Cardinals players in the dugout responded in kind.

The immediate reaction was that it was a nod to Trump’s response after the assassination attempt on July 13 in Pennsylvania. But Cardinals veteran Matt Carpenter said after the game it was “definitely not a political statement.” Carpenter said Burleson was a rapper in college, so the ear cupping was actually him holding invisible headphones like a DJ.

Tampa Bay Rays infielder Taylor Walls’ intentions seemed more obvious Sunday when he doubled and pumped his fist while saying, “Fight, fight,” just as Trump immediately yelled after he got back on his feet that day in Pennsylvania.

There’s nothing wrong with either of those celebrations or with players inventing different ways to celebrate after they get on base. But you have to wonder why players would come up with a blatant political message without having the courage to publicly admit it afterward. And anyone in the dugout supporting the gesture with one of their own should have the guts to come out and admit it as well.

But few players want their politics known publicly, inviting speculation.

Fans have no reason to hide their allegiances. It’s a free country … so far. But why a man would believe it’s appropriate to wear a “F−−− Biden” T-shirt to a Cubs game is anyone’s guess.

Maybe he thought it was a NASCAR race.

Rich Callow sells Ozzie Mows Wrigley Field t-shirts at Clark and Addison after Chicago White Sox defeated Chicago Cubs 4-1 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois on Wednesday, June 17, 2009. (Scott Strazzante/Chicago Tribune) ..OUTSIDE TRIBUNE CO.- NO MAGS, NO SALES, NO INTERNET, NO TV, CHICAGO OUT.. 00303804B Cubs0617 (crosstown classic,city series)
“Ozzie Mows Wrigley Field” T-shirts were for sale after the Chicago White Sox defeated the Chicago Cubs 4-1 at Wrigley Field on Wednesday, June 17, 2009. (Scott Strazzante/Chicago Tribune)
Offensive T-shirts can be found at many souvenir stands around Wrigley Field, but I can recall only one that was banned in 36 years of reporting on the Cubs. It involved outfielder Kosuke Fukudome’s arrival from Japan in 2008 and featured a slanty-eyed bear cub with oversized, Harry Caray-style glasses and the words “Horry Kow” written on the front.

Fukudome called the T-shirts offensive, and the Cubs had them removed from souvenir stands outside the ballpark, precipitating a fight with the T-shirt distributors. Cubs President Crane Kenney called them “completely inappropriate” and fought hard against the argument that the T-shirt was all in good fun and a freedom-of-speech issue.

“We wouldn’t tolerate it at the ballpark,” Kenney said. “The racial stuff just doesn’t fly. Booing is fine, but we’re not going to allow that in the park, and to the extent where we can protect ourselves outside the park, we’re going to do that as well.”

The most recent T-shirt controversy was back in 2011, when Cubs players had T-shirts made that said, “F−−− the Goat,” on the back, a reference to the Billy Goat Curse. The front featured a cartoon goat with the international “no” symbol.

Cubs veterans Ryan Dempster and Kerry Wood were trying to loosen things up, and manager Mike Quade, who claimed he had never heard of the Billy Goat Curse, supported the message.

“I find the whole conversation comical,” Quade said. “I’m not Dr. Phil. Do you embrace it? Do you want to laugh at it? Do you want to hide from it? I come to the park every day. The Girl and the Goat is a restaurant, and that’s all I ever think about.

“Somebody like (Wood and Dempster), guys who have been around that deal with this all the time … OK, so they came up with a slogan: This is how we’re going to do this. I have news for you. When you take the field, nobody is thinking about the goat, whether they’re wearing the T-shirt or not. That’s the way I look at it. I’m sure it makes for interesting conversation around town. I hope the T-shirt is right.”

The Goat remained undefeated that year, and Quade was fired at the end of the season after learning a valuable lesson: Don’t mess with the goat.

Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts, however, told me afterward he wasn’t “too worked up” over the T-shirts, though he directed his staff to tell players not to wear them outside the clubhouse. Pitcher Matt Garza promptly wore one to his postgame news conference to show his support for the message, and also because he was Matt Garza.

But messing with the billy goat in 2011 is less contentious than wearing a profane T-shirt with a political statement in the summer of 2024.

Jennifer Martinez, the Cubs senior director of communications, responded to a question about the T-shirt with a statement noting that profane clothing is “unacceptable” at the ballpark. Wrigley Field regulations ban “clothing with obscene, indecent, profane and/or inappropriate language or visuals.”

Inside the Dugout: Get the latest news, analysis and more on the Chicago Cubs.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and to receive emails from Chicago Tribune.
“We are meeting with all levels of our staff to remind them of the importance of monitoring what fans bring into the ballpark to ensure Wrigley Field is a safe and enjoyable environment for everyone,” the statement said.

It’s already a difficult summer to be a Cubs fan. Don’t make it worse by antagonizing your fellow fans for no reason.

The real message to those fans who feel the need to share their political beliefs by wearing a profane T-shirt to a ballpark can be found on an old Cubs T-shirt from 2016:

Try not to suck.

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
I don't think I've ever seen a F--- Trump flag. I have seen a handful of F--- Joe Biden flags though.

I'm assuming it has to do with the level of education. If I see someone with a F--- Joe Biden flag or bumper sticker, I automatically assume uneducated, obese, poor, low class, etc. If they want to fly their flag or show their bumper sticker, that's their God given right as an American. As long as they are ok with being judged by their fellow Americans, I say let them do their thing.

I don't think I've ever seen a F--- Trump flag. I have seen a handful of F--- Joe Biden flags though.

I'm assuming it has to do with the level of education. If I see someone with a F--- Joe Biden flag or bumper sticker, I automatically assume uneducated, obese, poor, low class, etc. If they want to fly their flag or show their bumper sticker, that's their God given right as an American. As long as they are ok with being judged by their fellow Americans, I say let them do their thing.
Agree.

Makes it easier to know where the trash is.

About the closest I’ve seen is my MIL. She put a Fvck Trump sticker on the inside of her mailbox door. I’m assuming she must know her mail carrier is a MAGA.

Reactions: MitchLL
Getting the both sides thing out of the way: There are millions and millions of people who internalize the spirit of "FVCK Trump", there is of course a market for signs, flags and shirts that communicate the message.

That said, in terms of frequency and context/environment the anti-Biden shirts/flags/signs/stickers seem disproportionally represented. Talking in places that were previously viewed as apolitical: sporting events of all kinds, social events, gas stations (??) not sure if there is anything that's off limits.

Cult stuff, I know. But I do think there is something to the tribalism and need to "belong" to something for many of the MAGA types. Countless stories and books analyzing the rise of Trump and his base of: left behind, vulnerable, undereducated, poor, underrepresented, full of grievances against the elites, the deep state, and on and on. This feeling gets manifested into belonging to this loud and proud patriotic anti-Biden rock festival type spectacle.

Yeah at least they aren’t wearing a vajayjay costume out in public? Right?

• Sad
Reactions: Tom Paris
Getting the both sides thing out of the way: There are millions and millions of people who internalize the spirit of "FVCK Trump", there is of course a market for signs, flags and shirts that communicate the message.

That said, in terms of frequency and context/environment the anti-Biden shirts/flags/signs/stickers seem disproportionally represented. Talking in places that were previously viewed as apolitical: sporting events of all kinds, social events, gas stations (??) not sure if there is anything that's off limits.

Cult stuff, I know. But I do think there is something to the tribalism and need to "belong" to something for many of the MAGA types. Countless stories and books analyzing the rise of Trump and his base of: left behind, vulnerable, undereducated, poor, underrepresented, full of grievances against the elites, the deep state, and on and on. This feeling gets manifested into belonging to this loud and proud patriotic anti-Biden rock festival type spectacle.
I’m thinking you make a point - I’m NOT MAGA but the hard core types I meet who are seem to be a certain “type” who feel like they’ve been stepped on or put down all their lives and when they discover others who feel similarly there’s this “we stick together” atmosphere that develops. It’s really off putting to me. They won’t tolerate other people’s opinions any more than hard core liberals do.

I’m thinking you make a point - I’m NOT MAGA but the hard core types I meet who are seem to be a certain “type” who feel like they’ve been stepped on or put down all their lives and when they discover others who feel similarly there’s this “we stick together” atmosphere that develops. It’s really off putting to me. They won’t tolerate other people’s opinions any more than hard core liberals do.
Both sides!!

I will give them credit, they seem to have a great time and are full of joy when they are together at the rallies and the like. Sure, their opposition may be evildoers with apocalyptic motives who hate America, and want to destroy everything about the culture, Christianity, etc. But outside of that, internally they seem to have a very festive patriotic themed gospel sermon/show.

Reactions: cigaretteman
100% no problem with the players' celebrations and they don't owe an explanation IMO.

The dude with the shirt is an idiot. I know kids see and hear those words a lot but there was a time people showed a little respect.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT