ADVERTISEMENT

Commercial Flights in the WNBA are now a thing of the Past thanks to you know who

Nobody, and I mean nobody, gave a damn about the WNBA . . . if they even knew there was such a thing . . . until Caitlin Clark made it a THING. All those other players, all those "stars," didn't draw flies. They played before a few thousand people. They flew commercial. They were nobodies except, maybe, in their own minds.

Caitlin has literally changed everything. They can be as jealous and as envious as they want, but CC has made all their lives infinitely better. That's just a fact.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, gave a damn about the WNBA . . . if they even knew there was such a thing . . . until Caitlin Clark made it a THING. All those other players, all those "stars," didn't draw flies. They played before a few thousand people. They flew commercial. They were nobodies except, maybe, in their own minds.

Caitlin has literally changed everything. They can be as jealous and as envious as they want, but CC has made all their lives infinitely better. That's just a fact.

The Aced were getting 10,000 a game last year and had sold out of season tickets before Caitlin announced

The Aced were getting 10,000 a game last year and had sold out of season tickets before Caitlin announced

this is true but from a league-wide perspective, the financials were not there to allow for league-wide charters. And since it wouldn't work financially for all teams, the league allowed it for no teams. So, I could be proven wrong, but my observation is that for this to have happened on a league-wide basis, it took the Clark Effect.

Just 4 months ago, many people on this very board were arguing that CC would make less money in the WNBA. LOL

• Love
Reactions: kceasthawk
She says all the right things -- a very impressive, articulate communicator, IMO. May help reduce some of the jealousy and pettiness .
While I understand vets are jealous of all of her attention and money, she really says just about everything perfectly to diffuse that as much as possible. Impressive is the right word.

10,000??

That’s cute!

Caitlin gets more than 10,000 to watch her practice.

No shit Caitlin is a draw.

Just responding to people that think nobody watched the WNBA before Caitlin.

I mean I do get it, the Aces are a bad comp. They have a captive audience of people that are stuck in the middle of the desert with nothing else to do at night. So yea-I guess if they had to compete with the plethora of shows and concerts and everything else that Iowa City has so much more of, than they probably wouldn’t draw that many.

Someday they do promise us that we will get some more nightlife in Vegas beyond being stuck going to Aces games.

I mean I do get it, the Aces are a bad comp. They have a captive audience of people that are stuck in the middle of the desert with nothing else to do at night. So yea-I guess if they had to compete with the plethora of shows and concerts and everything else that Iowa City has so much more of, than they probably wouldn’t draw that many.

Someday they do promise us that we will get some more nightlife in Vegas beyond being stuck going to Aces games.
It’s not that people didn’t attend aces games, it is the millions of new eyeballs on screens. That is where the real money will be.

I will add that Stephen A. Smith is a gentlemanly scholar who does his homework.

This is worth 4 minutes of everyone's time.

WNBA chartered flights for the regular season & beyond did not happen until CC spoke up about it.

Think of all of the commercial flights that Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi and other old vets have taken; CC took ONE commercial flight and now she and every player in the WNBA are flying charter.

Incredible.

Nice…sarcasm…I like it. 😉

Diana Taurasi has played 20 years in the WNBA. In each of those 20 years she has flown commercial where she's dealt with flight delays/cancellations, lost luggage, etc. In year 21, because of Caitlin Clark, she will now fly on a private jet.

The Cailtlin Clark effect after just one PRESEASON game.
Taurasi and her UCONN blowhards will probably now blame CC for taking away all the great frequent flier miles she was accumulating - just to complain about CC somehow.

Vegas blows.

One of the lamest cities in America. It always disappoints & I remember how boring that town is every time I go.

If I had the chance to go to Vegas or Dover, I’d choose Dover. I did. And I am. This fall actually.

That being said, if I had to live in Las Vegas, the Aces probably would be the biggest draw in that corporate town.

Vegas blows.

One of the lamest cities in America. It always disappoints & I remember how boring that town is every time I go.

If I had the chance to go to Vegas or Dover, I’d choose Dover. I did. And I am. This fall actually.

Possibly overstated but it has gone downhill. It’s like a city that keeps jacking up taxes, people keep leaving and they jack them up more to tap the remaining folks. They nickel and dime you to death but it’s $20 here $50 there. It’s run down and crowd has gotten scummier over time, which is saying something given where it started.

But, but..she doesn't know how to shoot a 3 point shot.

I love it. She's averaging 17.5 points (exhibition and regular games) with PRO players draped all over her and double teaming her, trying to burst the "legend" bubble before it takes seed, and people are coming out of the woodwork critiquing her.

It's too early to say her superstar status will transfer to the pro level, but other than illness or injury it won't be a physical issue. She has incredible skills sets, maybe the best ever for her size.

An anecdote, recalling from a story I read. Clark was playing in a league of mostly older players and was getting her shots blocked. She came home, frustrated and told her dad, who recommended she step back and shoot from longer distances.

Voila. Logo 3s.

But, but..she doesn't know how to shoot a 3 point shot.

I love it. She's averaging 17.5 points (exhibition and regular games) with PRO players draped all over her and double teaming her, trying to burst the "legend" bubble before it takes seed, and people are coming out of the woodwork critiquing her.

It's too early to say her superstar status will transfer to the pro level, but other than illness or injury it won't be a physical issue. She has incredible skills sets, maybe the best ever for her size.

An anecdote, recalling from a story I read. Clark was playing in a league of mostly older players and was getting her shots blocked. She came home, frustrated and told her dad, who recommended she step back and shoot from longer distances.

Voila. Logo 3s.

the Indy head coach needs to run some screens for CC; if she had, CC would have had more than 20 last night

and she'll improve on the turnover issue over time

Reactions: amahawk
the Indy head coach needs to run some screens for CC; if she had, CC would have had more than 20 last night

and she'll improve on the turnover issue over time

Caitlin has the talent and ability to control the game. She has to integrate into the system before she can take control and is facing resistance due to her notoriety. How on earth she is handling the pressure at her age is remarkable.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT