ADVERTISEMENT

COMMIT: Iowa Lands 2024 Prospect Chris Tadjo

RossWB

HR Heisman
Staff
Feb 1, 2006
Why has it taken Fran so long to start getting these types of players. Be huge if Compton kid commits and they find a couple of athletic guards too.
By “these types of players” what do you mean? Are you talking about athletic Power Forwards?

By “these types of players” what do you mean? Are you talking about athletic Power Forwards?
that's what I mean if if I didn't say it. Raw athletic players. Teach them how to play basketball. IMO it's a better approach than trying to teach a shooting tweener how to be faster and stronger.

Iowa will never take the next step if he continues to fill the roster with players that are built for a different system.

Just my opinion.

that's what I mean if if I didn't say it. Raw athletic players. Teach them how to play basketball. IMO it's a better approach than trying to teach a shooting tweener how to be faster and stronger.

Iowa will never take the next step if he continues to fill the roster with players that are built for a different system.

Just my opinion.
I get what you are saying….thanks for the clarification. I find this approach to recruiting very intriguing. I often think that with a team of athletic players we might be even better in the open court, a better rebounding team…. And better defensively.

In looking at our current and future roster we have, and will have, some pretty athletic players but I’m not sure it’s enough to make this transition.

The other thing I would say is that Fran has recruited some of this type of player in the past and the results have been anywhere from poor to great…..Dom Uhl to Aaron White…..A Wagner to Tyler Cook…. And more.

Reactions: Bishop-71
I get what you are saying….thanks for the clarification. I find this approach to recruiting very intriguing. I often think that with a team of athletic players we might be even better in the open court, a better rebounding team…. And better defensively.

In looking at our current and future roster we have, and will have, some pretty athletic players but I’m not sure it’s enough to make this transition.

The other thing I would say is that Fran has recruited some of this type of player in the past and the results have been anywhere from poor to great…..Dom Uhl to Aaron White…..A Wagner to Tyler Cook…. And more.
You are 100 right. I guess I'm hoping he is more patient or is going all in.

I just don't get his approach to roster building and style of play.

Reactions: perryhawk
As a Canadian, Tadjo is not allowed to accept NIL money, isn’t that correct? If so, that could be of some benefit to Iowa, as there’s nobody there to outbid us.
There are workarounds. Krikke was on Payton and Patrick's podcast and talked about it. Krikke is getting NIL through the SWARM, he just had to do his work while out of the country.

I think that was pretty much given when he committed
Assuming everyone is stays, next year is deep at the 3.
True 4s: Dembele, Tadjo
True 3s: Payton, Pryce, Koch

The true answer is that these guys can play flexible positions which is nice--Dembele and Tadjo would be good small-ball 5s IMO with Payton or Koch at the 4. Depending on defensive foot speed, I think Pryce would be a fine 2 guard on offense. There's a lot of mixing and matching that Fran can do with this group.

I cannot remember Iowa ever having two big muscular PFs like Dembele and Tadjo at the same time. Add Freeman at center, who is also pretty well built. Very Spartanesque. I wonder if it signals an intentional shift in Fran’s strategy.

There is a better chance that Fran changes his hairstyle than change his system, but yes, do like having two athletic/physical 4s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT