ADVERTISEMENT

"Concussion" Opens Friday; how will it affect our relationship w/ Football?

OnceAhawk

HR MVP
Jan 29, 2015
Do you plan on seeing this movie? The movie will make viewers wonder about the safety of football.

At the heart of the movie is a push-pull between the beauty and popularity of football vs. the devastation that thousands of small blows to the head can cause over the years. Knowing that close to 100 former NFL players have been diagnosed with CTE posthumously, how do current and future football players, parents and leagues at all levels balance the long-term risks against short-term gains?

An article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

MOVIES
'Concussion' intensifies public's already-complicated relationship with a violent sport
The movie will make viewers wonder about the safety of football.

By Michael Rand Star Tribune
http://www.startribune.com/concussi...-relationship-with-a-violent-sport/363424901/

DECEMBER 23, 2015 — 11:31PM

"Concussion," which opens in theaters nationwide Friday, is a movie ostensibly about Dr. Bennet Omalu (portrayed by Will Smith), the forensic pathologist who is credited with making the initial discovery of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and pushing to expose its prevalence in football players despite resistance from the NFL.

But the more interesting narrative in the film has less to do with the discovery of CTE but what the knowledge of its existence means for the future of football.

At the heart of the movie is a push-pull between the beauty and popularity of football vs. the devastation that thousands of small blows to the head can cause over the years. Knowing that close to 100 former NFL players have been diagnosed with CTE posthumously, how do current and future football players, parents and leagues at all levels balance the long-term risks against short-term gains?

With fans, any moral dilemma has played out mostly as rhetoric. We might say we're conflicted, but TV viewership for the NFL was at an all-time high in 2014, and midseason numbers in 2015 suggest this year will be even better.

But the push-pull comes off brilliantly in the film through Dr. Julian Bailes, a neurologist portrayed by Alec Baldwin who becomes Omalu's ally in the battle to expose CTE. Bailes is the former team physician for the Steelers and currently has many roles — including chairman of the Pop Warner Football Medical Advisory Committee.

Unlike Omalu, who is of Nigerian descent and had no football background before coming to the United States, Bailes is a former football player and loves the game. In the film, his character speaks glowingly about the beauty of the game even in the face of the potential tragedy he's helping uncover. In a conference call after a screening of the movie, Bailes said he has two children who play football.

"I think football is safer than it's ever been," he said, while also noting that the latest numbers show a nearly 10 percent decline in Pop Warner participation. "There have been many steps taken in the last few years during the last decade of discovery which have made football safer. However, it is still a contact sport."

As for the risks associated with the game? Bailes said: "I guess I have a libertarian point of view that … if someone, including someone who's not yet 18, and their parents understand the risk and benefit ratio, I think they can make their own decisions about the benefits of all sports including football."

Those whose premature deaths have been attributed to CTE — such as former Steelers center Mike Webster, whose abnormal brain led to Omalu's initial discovery in 2002 — cannot go back and answer the question, "Would you do it all over again if you knew what we know now?" But others can.

That notion is the one that threatens the future of the sport. The New York Times reported in September that the league pressured those associated with the film into softening the script. ESPN's "Outside the Lines" reported earlier this week that the league backed out of funding a $16 million study in Boston that would further CTE research. The NFL, through a spokesman on Twitter, said ESPN's story was wrong.

That ESPN story included this passage: "Some neuroscientists believe the league uses its money and influence to reward researchers who focus primarily on issues such as safety, equipment and proper tackling."

Bailes, who is also a member of the NFL Players Association Health and Safety Committee, said he thinks the league has made "sweeping changes" to the sport and said "we've done almost all we can do to reduce unnecessary or gratuitous head contact whether it's in practice or games."

But even with legislation, it's a sport that involves repeated head contact — the types of "subconcussive hits to the head that do not cause symptoms" that nevertheless have been found to contribute to CTE, according to the Boston University School of Medicine's findings.

And even with attempts to clean up the game, Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was not ejected (even though he was later suspended for one game) after delivering what looked to be a gratuitous helmet-to-helmet hit on Panthers cornerback Josh Norman on Sunday.

As such, while it doesn't feel like a traditional Christmas movie, "Concussion" does feel particularly relevant. The late December release has the extra impact of hitting viewers, and the NFL, when it matters most: as the importance of games intensifies with playoffs approaching.

How much will the movie resonate? At the least, it figures to intensify our already complicated relationship with football.

"I think and I hope that the movie is going to generate a lot of discussion and further awareness of our most popular sport and in my opinion our greatest sport in America," Bailes said.

For the last several years, watching professional football feels like watching the gladiators in ancient Rome must have felt like. Of course, there are huge differences, like these are highly paid men that have chosen this pursuit, and they are on an even playing field with their opponent, etc. But watching the carnage they inflict on each other makes me cringe.

It's not just the head injuries. It's the unprotected joints, like knees, ankles, elbows, etc. The shoulder and collar bone have very little protection from the side hits. I'm surprised they're aren't more serious neck injuries.

Then, I wonder if colleges should be promoting and profiting from this sport. But, again, these athletes have chosen this.

High school? I have a lot of concerns.

What do you say to the millions that have played the sport with no lasting ill effects?

Personally, I'm not at all opposed to football. It's a great game for the participant and the fan. I believe the "good" outweighs the "bad". That doesn't mean it isn't dangerous.

Millions ride motorcycles, some without helmets. Is there any doubt this is more dangerous that driving a car? I don't think so, which is why I have chosen to not ride motorcycles. But I'm not going on a campaign to end the use of motorcycles.

Personally, I'm not at all opposed to football. It's a great game for the participant and the fan. I believe the "good" outweighs the "bad". That doesn't mean it isn't dangerous.

Millions ride motorcycles, some without helmets. Is there any doubt this is more dangerous that driving a car? I don't think so, which is why I have chosen to not ride motorcycles. But I'm not going on a campaign to end the use of motorcycles.

Agree. All sports are dangerous to a degree and I concede football ranks at the top. There is a growing concussion concern with soccer.

For the last several years, watching professional football feels like watching the gladiators in ancient Rome must have felt like. Of course, there are huge differences, like these are highly paid men that have chosen this pursuit, and they are on an even playing field with their opponent, etc. But watching the carnage they inflict on each other makes me cringe.

It's not just the head injuries. It's the unprotected joints, like knees, ankles, elbows, etc. The shoulder and collar bone have very little protection from the side hits. I'm surprised they're aren't more serious neck injuries.

Then, I wonder if colleges should be promoting and profiting from this sport. But, again, these athletes have chosen this.

High school? I have a lot of concerns.
If you played football, then you should not be concerned, especially if you were never seriously injured.

The worst sports-related injury I ever had came from playing basketball and there was no contact that caused it.

Agree. All sports are dangerous to a degree and I concede football ranks at the top. There is a growing concussion concern with soccer.
Well so much for the soccer fan theory that their sport will replace football when the day comes that all the parents hold their kids out, because their sport is supposedly safer......................................

f5yiWCl.gif

Reactions: RockEyeState
Honestly, if and when I see this movie, I will probably feel more educated about the issue regarding concussions in football, but other than that, it will not change my interest in football whatsoever.

Would I jump at the chance to play football again, if I still could? Absolutely.

If you played football, then you should not be concerned, especially if you were never seriously injured.

The worst sports-related injury I ever had came from playing basketball and there was no contact that caused it.

I played HS football and was not seriously injured. I played in the '70's in Iowa. The biggest guy on the field was probably 220 lbs. and the fastest guy probably ran a 4.8. Very few did any serious weight training. The grass was 3 inches long. We probably looked like we were playing in slow motion.

HS football any different today?;)

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
i edited my post as you liked it to embed video of some rugby tackles. notice how they go in low and lead with their shoulders
There was a video recently either on this site or the main Rivals site about how I think it was Ohio State (or Michigan State?) has started to implement the Rugby style tackling technique. More and more teams are starting to pick up on what the Buckeyes have been doing. Not that this form of tackling is anything "new", but a lot of teams had gone away from emphasizing this style. Ohio State is just one of the programs at the forefront of making this a staple of their defensive scheme.

Reactions: herecomethehawkeyes
I played HS football and was not seriously injured. I played in the '70's in Iowa. The biggest guy on the field was probably 220 lbs. and the fastest guy probably ran a 4.8. Very few did any serious weight training. The grass was 3 inches long. We probably looked like we were playing in slow motion.

HS football any different today?;)
Depends on what class you're watching....

Depends on what class you're watching....

Yeah, I know. I'm just concerned about the liability schools face these days. A kid can get hurt in science class, but I'm not going to suggest getting rid of science.

And, I'm not suggested we get rid of HS football. I'm just ..... concerned.

There was a video recently either on this site or the main Rivals site about how I think it was Ohio State (or Michigan State?) has started to implement the Rugby style tackling technique. More and more teams are starting to pick up on what the Buckeyes have been doing. Not that this form of tackling is anything "new", but a lot of teams had gone away from emphasizing this style. Ohio State is just one of the programs at the forefront of making this a staple of their defensive scheme.

just seems like it is basic fundamental tackling to me....something that should be taught and implemented at every level of football. perhaps it started going away the minute that the "blow the guy up" hits starting making ESPN "top ten" plays, and were replayed over and over and over again on sportscenter.

i like watching rugby, but I am not sure about the injury history/long term affects is of that sport. if they have players making hits like that without padding and not have this issue that the NFL is having, you would think that they would look to this sport for reasons why. I know there was a post around here or HROT last week on the concussion topic that mentioned getting rid of facemasks on the helmets. might be a good place to start. With an exposed face, players may rethink the way they tackle

just seems like it is basic fundamental tackling to me....something that should be taught and implemented at every level of football. perhaps it started going away the minute that the "blow the guy up" hits starting making ESPN "top ten" plays, and were replayed over and over and over again on sportscenter.

i like watching rugby, but I am not sure about the injury history/long term affects is of that sport. if they have players making hits like that without padding and not have this issue that the NFL is having, you would think that they would look to this sport for reasons why. I know there was a post around here or HROT last week on the concussion topic that mentioned getting rid of facemasks on the helmets. might be a good place to start. With an exposed face, players may rethink the way they tackle
Or just have everyone go back to the Gary Anderson one-bar helmet. :cool:

gary-anderson.jpg

Reactions: herecomethehawkeyes
I'm a little disapointed the direction this thread has gone (only because it's been done and I know how this story ends).

As I understand that movie is about how the NFL not only ignored - it hid evidence about the damage caused by concussions. They also have killed documentaries on the subject and recently cancelled funding to yet another research project. Roger Goodell makes $35 million which is multiples of what they spend on concussions research. Why aren't we bothered by this?

At the same time only a handful of years ago ESPN ran a segment each week called "You got JACKED UP" where they showed clips of players getting their brains bashed in. The same guys now complain that all the new penalties focused on hits to the head are ruining the game (ignoring that NFL officials are not full time employees and grossly underpaid). All while we chear and throw our money at the game.

The player culture is probably the most concerning as they do their best to ignore concussion protocol and we treat them like warriors. I watched Julian Edelman wobble back into the super bowl and people reacted like it was somehow impossible or inappropriate to stop him. Whatever it takes to win right? It's hard to blame them when the information available has been limited

It's just crazy to me how resistant people are to learning about the danger of this game and taking steps to make it safer. The response of "everything in life is dangerous" is an absolute crock. Is that what you say when they make cars safer? Or how about all the testing that goes into the food your kids eat - does that bother you too?

Football doesn't have to go away. It just has to experience progress like everything else in society.

Do you plan on seeing this movie? The movie will make viewers wonder about the safety of football.

An article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

MOVIES
'Concussion' intensifies public's already-complicated relationship with a violent sport
The movie will make viewers wonder about the safety of football.

By Michael Rand Star Tribune
http://www.startribune.com/concussi...-relationship-with-a-violent-sport/363424901/

DECEMBER 23, 2015 — 11:31PM

"Concussion," which opens in theaters nationwide Friday, is a movie ostensibly about Dr. Bennet Omalu (portrayed by Will Smith), the forensic pathologist who is credited with making the initial discovery of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and pushing to expose its prevalence in football players despite resistance from the NFL.

But the more interesting narrative in the film has less to do with the discovery of CTE but what the knowledge of its existence means for the future of football.

With fans, any moral dilemma has played out mostly as rhetoric. We might say we're conflicted, but TV viewership for the NFL was at an all-time high in 2014, and midseason numbers in 2015 suggest this year will be even better.

But the push-pull comes off brilliantly in the film through Dr. Julian Bailes, a neurologist portrayed by Alec Baldwin who becomes Omalu's ally in the battle to expose CTE. Bailes is the former team physician for the Steelers and currently has many roles — including chairman of the Pop Warner Football Medical Advisory Committee.

Unlike Omalu, who is of Nigerian descent and had no football background before coming to the United States, Bailes is a former football player and loves the game. In the film, his character speaks glowingly about the beauty of the game even in the face of the potential tragedy he's helping uncover. In a conference call after a screening of the movie, Bailes said he has two children who play football.

"I think football is safer than it's ever been," he said, while also noting that the latest numbers show a nearly 10 percent decline in Pop Warner participation. "There have been many steps taken in the last few years during the last decade of discovery which have made football safer. However, it is still a contact sport."

As for the risks associated with the game? Bailes said: "I guess I have a libertarian point of view that … if someone, including someone who's not yet 18, and their parents understand the risk and benefit ratio, I think they can make their own decisions about the benefits of all sports including football."

Those whose premature deaths have been attributed to CTE — such as former Steelers center Mike Webster, whose abnormal brain led to Omalu's initial discovery in 2002 — cannot go back and answer the question, "Would you do it all over again if you knew what we know now?" But others can.

That notion is the one that threatens the future of the sport. The New York Times reported in September that the league pressured those associated with the film into softening the script. ESPN's "Outside the Lines" reported earlier this week that the league backed out of funding a $16 million study in Boston that would further CTE research. The NFL, through a spokesman on Twitter, said ESPN's story was wrong.

That ESPN story included this passage: "Some neuroscientists believe the league uses its money and influence to reward researchers who focus primarily on issues such as safety, equipment and proper tackling."

Bailes, who is also a member of the NFL Players Association Health and Safety Committee, said he thinks the league has made "sweeping changes" to the sport and said "we've done almost all we can do to reduce unnecessary or gratuitous head contact whether it's in practice or games."

But even with legislation, it's a sport that involves repeated head contact — the types of "subconcussive hits to the head that do not cause symptoms" that nevertheless have been found to contribute to CTE, according to the Boston University School of Medicine's findings.

And even with attempts to clean up the game, Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was not ejected (even though he was later suspended for one game) after delivering what looked to be a gratuitous helmet-to-helmet hit on Panthers cornerback Josh Norman on Sunday.

As such, while it doesn't feel like a traditional Christmas movie, "Concussion" does feel particularly relevant. The late December release has the extra impact of hitting viewers, and the NFL, when it matters most: as the importance of games intensifies with playoffs approaching.

How much will the movie resonate? At the least, it figures to intensify our already complicated relationship with football.

"I think and I hope that the movie is going to generate a lot of discussion and further awareness of our most popular sport and in my opinion our greatest sport in America," Bailes said.

Not gonna impact me at all because I refuse to watch that garbage. Sensationalizing concussions and CTE and misleading all of America is just plain wrong and they won't get a dollar of my money. Really disappointed that Will Smith would put his name on this.

If any of you choose to watch it, do yourself a favor and research it thoroughly afterward. They're taking a small handful of cases and making it into something it's not. The data is incomplete and doesn't take into affect so many other factors. It's a war on a football and it's ridiculous.

Reactions: who r u
Not gonna impact me at all because I refuse to watch that garbage. Sensationalizing concussions and CTE and misleading all of America is just plain wrong and they won't get a dollar of my money. Really disappointed that Will Smith would put his name on this.

If any of you choose to watch it, do yourself a favor and research it thoroughly afterward. They're taking a small handful of cases and making it into something it's not. The data is incomplete and doesn't take into affect so many other factors. It's a war on a football and it's ridiculous.

I do believe there is some validity to that. Football is popular, so segments of our society and lame stream media will attack it. Those on the far left hate it because they resent the money Americans dole out on the sport. They think it would be better spent on combating social injustice. They are the most dangerous people in America, IMO.

This movie won't change my view of concussions, or the sport of football at all. But I think it will raise awareness for some people that haven't been paying attention to all the problems experienced by so many former NFL players, as a result of so many blows to their heads.

As people have been saying for the last 10 years, more and more, there are too many kids using poor tackling techniques that endanger themselves and others on the field. And the speed of the game is a big part of why there are so many concussions.

One of our neighborhood kids plays division 2 football in MN, as a defensive back. He was a track athlete in high school, running the 100 meter dash...and the kid has extreme field speed in football, meaning he plays very fast. In his case, he is a pretty good tackler and doesn't intentionally lead with his head. But as things happen with plays, and as fast as he always arrives at the ball, his speed causes potentially dangerous hits from time to time. I fear that his multiple concussions that he has already had (he's only a redshirt freshman) in either high school or college are going to lead to long term health problems. He's a smart kid, but his passion for the game may be an even bigger risk for his long term health than his speed, as I fear like many players he may not take himself out of a game after he's gotten his bell rung and needs evaluated for a concussion.

Reactions: HawkInMO
I plan to not see it. I foresee zero impact on fan interest in football.

The narrative is that NFL players suffer CTE and other brain conditions, and commit suicide more than the overall population. Most studies I've seen show little difference, and in case of suicide even lower percentage retired NFL vs. overall population. Many of the scare-numbers thrown out there are on deceased players. Let's find a way to test living persons, shall we?

This issue looks like a non-starter to me. Here's some reading if you've the time and inclination:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-01-theory-nfl-players-cte.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3538465/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ed-evidence-to-link-playing-football-with-cte

The results are at least conflicting, if not downright contrary to the narrative. People say the game has changed, but one of those changes is that you can't hit people anymore. Surely that offsets some of the other changes.

If the sport is worried about the issue, them it needs to teach its players correct technique. I'm all for removing the armor and padding like rugby, and letting defenders hit again.

Reactions: mikesright
Won't change it at all. Football just like other jobs such as working in a coal mine, working construction, being a fisherman out in ocean like deadlist catch, or being a police officer are jobs were you risk various aspects of your health doing these jobs. Difference is in NFL you make a lot more $ than these other jobs but they all know the risk doing anymore. As stated by other posters and remember listening to an interview with Jim Nance this year on Dan Patrick show about concussion and they brought up the point about how female soccer players in college have some of the highest concussion rate of any other college athletes.

As for possible cover up movie details be one interesting thing to see what the NFL actually tried to do. But someone of these guys had to be a little naive to think that this sport wouldn't relate to some future head issues later in life for some of these players.

I agree with others that people are getting unnecessarily scared about the sport. There's not a lot of evidence yet that CTE is an epidemic unless you are a 10 year NFL vet. I think at least some of us would trade some of our golden years away for the lifestyle those guys enjoy - no?

I support making the game safer and more research. What this latest controversy over the funding for research shows is that Roger Goodell is one of the worst examples of a "leader" I have ever seen. Wonder why? Didn't play much football.

That's the other thing that bothers me about this film - there are a lot of benefits to being on a football team - the camraderie - the scholarships for many players that become possible - how about physical fitness and activity in a world with too much obesity? Even the heavier players probably have the health of your avg 250 lb healthy man. How about leadership and accountability?

One last thing - look at the other sports - basketball, soccer, hockey. Those aren't exactly low impact sports. Lil Timmy's not going to be able to play a zero physical risk sport.

In the 60's a guy named Ralph Nadar led a charge about how unsafe cars were at that time. It was not a popular opinion in those days. I remember car companies saying that you could make a car safe, but it would be an egg-shaped tank that no one could afford. Airbags were strictly science fiction. Now 50 years later most car commercials lead with safety features.

Perhaps movies like this will help make football safer in the decades to come. Maybe the NFL will spend a few more $$ on improvements.

I do believe there is some validity to that. Football is popular, so segments of our society and lame stream media will attack it. Those on the far left hate it because they resent the money Americans dole out on the sport. They think it would be better spent on combating social injustice. They are the most dangerous people in America, IMO.
Agreed

Pro football players have a LOWER suicide rate than the general public. This is one of just many fallacies omalu and his band of cronies are trying to sell.
Nothing needs to be changed about football. Yes continue to make equipment better. Yes continue to evolve in concussions and treatment and prevention. But those things are already being done. Just leave the damn sport alone! Everyone knows it's dangerous and choosing to play is accepting that risk. Plain and simple. The benefits of kids playing the sport and the lessons learned about life t hrough the game far outweigh not playing or changing the sport.

What do you say to the millions that have played the sport with no lasting ill effects?
THIS............in part, the Hollyweird movie is another lame attempt to create a class of
'victims'. Follow the money and watch your wallet

does Rugby have this problem? Those guys tackle pretty hard, and without all of the padding/helmets.
perhaps the NFL should start with tackling techniques

A number of years ago I read that there are two types of rugby in GB.--not sure of the names but I think the more injurious type was Rugby League and it was considered quite violent.

The real issue is proper tackling technique. We're starting at the youth level and working up. However, its hard to teach it when kids watch pro and college players launching themselves head first for a big hit, putting themselves and opponent at risk. The Heads Up Program is great but we need the NFL and NCAA to step and contribute to really make a difference.

No, the studies have already been out on this.

Everyone knows football causes CTE. Everyone knows the NFL tries to hide it as best as they can.

There will always be guys (esp african american men) willing to risk that to make millions of dollars.

You MIGHT get less and less high schools continue to go away from football tho.

Everyone knows football causes CTE. Everyone knows the NFL tries to hide it as best as they can.

There will always be guys (esp african american men) willing to risk that to make millions of dollars.

And this right here is the problem with all of this. Thousands of men have played football for years and even sustained multiple concussions without ever suffering CTE let alone committing suicide. FOOTBALL DOES NOT NECESSARILY CAUSE CTE! It's a very minute percentage of players who develop it and generally it happens in men who have played the game for years. You are spreading one of the very lies about all of this.
There is also evidence in a LOT of other industries where people develop CTE. Shockingly none of them are ever discussed. Maybe we should outlaw steel workers, and the military because there's evidence those people in rare occasions develop CTE. Just a couple of many examples.
And as far as your CTE and suicide, there is no data about how many of those players suffered mental illness or psychological issues as is prevalent in society as a whole. Yet even without that data, the suicide rate among NFL players is still considerably lower than that of the general population.
But keep pushing the bullshit omalu and his people are trumpeting.

Reactions: 1inamillion
kids watch pro and college players launching themselves head first for a big hit, putting themselves and opponent at risk..

one big hit during a bowl game mixed with a little over the top espn sensationalism launched Jadeveon Clowney into the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

A number of years ago I read that there are two types of rugby in GB.--not sure of the names but I think the more injurious type was Rugby League and it was considered quite violent.

Rugby League and Rugby Union. I have no idea what the difference is. A quick search unearthed the following article, amongst the usual Wikipedia and Yahoo Answers crap:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/25124313

Most people need to realize, a head injury is much much different than getting injured in a science room, or blowing out an ACL. Internal Bleeding, and Mental health are very important to the body overall.

Most problems stemmed from playing with concussions and getting multiple concussions. This was in the old days, and the injuries today, were caused from older days.

I agree the NFL is some BS, and hid, and denied concussion as an actual issue, but as long as we push the NFL, and continue to make advancement in helmet technology, and more awareness in heads up tackling, we should see less, and this should be less of an issue in the future.

All of this is sensationalism. All of it. And the proper steps to remedy what issues were there have already taken place and been in place. The lawsuit is a joke against the NFL. It's mostly bankrupted poor former players looking for a buck. There are a few legitimate cases bit out turned into a circus show. Yes the NFL should've been more open about things and they'll pay they price for it. But concussion knowledge is better than it's ever been and the protocols in place are the right ones. Equipment is constantly improving. It's never gonna be enough to prevent injury bit it's better than it's ever been. Instruction at the youth levels is arguably as good as it's ever been but anyone who's ever been around youth sports knows about half the coaches out there don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and that's a problem and always has been. Best you can do is try to educate and people in charge need to monitor and try to mitigate the damage.
But omalu's war and all of this drama over CTE and concussions is absolute sensationalism and a war on the best sport on earth. And too many people don't know enough to see through the bullshit.

If you've read League of Denial or saw the Frontline documentary, movie is just fluff. Most interesting aspect was released during Sony email hack on tension between league pressure and producer's pressure to "play up the drama."

Just last week NFL disqualified a leading researcher from the upcoming 16 mil study because of his association with early CTE research. The same NFL that had advertised their "unrestricted grant" before threatening to pull their money. The same NFL that still employs Dr. Perlman (discredited mouthpiece) as their lead in house doc. That they kept up the same denialist approach to the science at the exact time the movie is being released is hilarious.

Be glad you weren't better at it.

There's not a lot of evidence yet that CTE is an epidemic unless you are a 10 year NFL vet. I think at least some of us would trade some of our golden years away for the lifestyle those guys enjoy - no?

Wonder what Tyler Sash would think about those statements? His autopsy results won't prove an epidemic, but probably will show CTE. If so, he might point out that living with brain trauma is different than just trading away the last few "golden years." Or he might point to Mike Webster and ask if you would like to trade for his lifestyle?

The lawsuit is a joke against the NFL. It's mostly bankrupted poor former players looking for a buck.....But omalu's war and all of this drama over CTE and concussions is absolute sensationalism and a war on the best sport on earth

Take your meds dude. The NFL did not agree to pay almost a billion dollars in damages over a joke, that's for sure.

It won't effect me. Every player the past 30 some odd years knew that repeated injuries and concussions to the head were not healthy. People can play dumb and say they had no idea, but that doesn't fly with me. They know what they're getting themselves into and they weigh the risk and reward.

If you've read League of Denial or saw the Frontline documentary, movie is just fluff. Most interesting aspect was released during Sony email hack on tension between league pressure and producer's pressure to "play up the drama."

Just last week NFL disqualified a leading researcher from the upcoming 16 mil study because of his association with early CTE research. The same NFL that had advertised their "unrestricted grant" before threatening to pull their money. The same NFL that still employs Dr. Perlman (discredited mouthpiece) as their lead in house doc. That they kept up the same denialist approach to the science at the exact time the movie is being released is hilarious.

Be glad you weren't better at it.

Wonder what Tyler Sash would think about those statements? His autopsy results won't prove an epidemic, but probably will show CTE. If so, he might point out that living with brain trauma is different than just trading away the last few "golden years." Or he might point to Mike Webster and ask if you would like to trade for his lifestyle?

Take your meds dude. The NFL did not agree to pay almost a billion dollars in damages over a joke, that's for sure.

Im not going to bad mouth Sash, but to assume because he was using opiates that he had some health issues is a big stretch. Millions of people abuse those drugs and it has nothing to do with any illness.

Don't watch Football if you believe what you wrote.

I watched the Public TV documentary.

It makes sense that getting their heads repeatedly bashed doesn't help guys that barely function to begin with--it's not like the NFL is full of rocket scientists or guys that don't abuse their bodies with drugs.

They had instances of CTE in High School students that barely had played. It is supposedly more dangerous for young kids to be playing..by they time these guys get to college they probably are already messed up if they are prone to CTE. NFL is not necessarily the main cause if youth's are more susceptible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT