ADVERTISEMENT

Ah, the NIL deals...

My point still stands. A company could run without a CEO, but couldn't run if there were no workers. If you can find anything proving the opposite feel free to share.
This is a sentence from your post.

At a co-op, there’s no single person with overarching, top-down power over everyone else, like a CEO at a traditional company.

As I said before this is complete BS. CEOs in most cases do not have top down power over everyone else. Most companies have a Board of Director’s and every Credit Union has a Board of Director’s.

Additionally State and Federal regulators have power over Credit Unions. Case in point the first Credit Union I worked at the state came in and relieved the Board and fired the CEO and replaced him with someone they hired. One of my CEO friends was required to give the Feds 3 Credit Unions he was willing to merge with. No top down power there as he merged and was no longer a CEO and ultimately several of his employees lost their jobs.

My point still stands. A company could run without a CEO, but couldn't run if there were no workers. If you can find anything proving the opposite feel free to share.
Yes, like a ship can run without its captain... how's that bridge going to move out of the way?

I explained in detail why it's racist. The black schools get nothing and the rich white schools continue to reap the rewards.

You're poor Uncle Tom approach is frankly sickening.
What is a "black school" under your definition? I see that the % of football, basketball players on a roster far out weigh any other race on the roster.

Many co-operatives are too large to be operated by members and need to engage a CEO and staff. So, your statement is based upon company size, and yes, a small shop can run without a CEO. Then again, even then someone is making more than others.

The video mentions Credit Unions as co-ops without a CEO. That is not accurate at all in the USA. I worked at three credit unions and was a CEO at one my self. I new dozens of other CEOs at credit unions. USAA insurance is also a co-op yet has a CEO. Many other co-ops like utilities have CEOs.
https://www.cooperative.com/remagaz...n-Women-Are-Making-Inroads-as-Co-op-CEOs.aspx

Electric cooperatives across the country are in the midst of a wave of senior staff turnover, as almost 20% of the sector's workforce approaches or reaches retirement age and as pandemic-driven sentiment drives many older workers to retire early.

The exodus is putting pressure on co-op leadership and boards to fill unprecedented numbers of vacancies from an increasingly constricted pool of candidates.

Leigh Taylor, head of NRECA Executive Search, says after “a pandemic lull that created a false sense of cyclicity," it's crunch time as more co-ops are asking for help in the hunt for new CEOs. “A good search can take four to six months, but it can be a challenge when a retiring CEO doesn't provide sufficient notice."

“Today, people can choose where they want to work, and they want to work for a company that cares and leadership that understands them.”
Lynn Thompson, retired Eau Claire Energy Cooperative CEO

One silver lining to the dilemma is a trend among co-ops to further widen the net they cast for prospective senior staff, which has led to a small but noticeable uptick in the hiring of female—and particularly young female—CEOs and general managers. About 80 co-op CEOs in 2020 were women; that's now close to 90, according to NRECA data.

Nil has zero racism the best and highest profile athletes get paid. Another poster brought it up. It’s laughable for somebody to think paying a black athlete is racism. If anything it’s racists to have a problem with it.

You want to compare numbers of DIII and HBCU? Why? Almost none get NIL. If purity and love of the game is what you seek and DII DIII or HBCU might be your calling.

NIL is here to stay “as is” IMO. It’s a losing issue in the courts if you try to restrict it or cap it. Only thing colleges can do is shrink the transfer windows. You are not going to limit a persons NIL money in court anymore than you are going to limit a college freshman’s salary at McDonald’s.

NIL has hurt nobody. No school is doing better or worse because of it if you look at rankings and the polls. All it does is give the kids the money instead of marble floors in the athletic departments.

Athletic Departments like Iowa are getting about $60 million in revenue just from TV. I think they will be fine.
I guess I missed the part where they stipulated that it was ridiculous to pay a person based upon their race.

I brought up HBCU's as a counter to your statement of D3 being white. Which proves that race has little to do with NIL.

I go to more DII games than D1 games now and have for the past 4 years.

Nil has zero racism the best and highest profile athletes get paid. Another poster brought it up. It’s laughable for somebody to think paying a black athlete is racism. If anything it’s racists to have a problem with it.

You want to compare numbers of DIII and HBCU? Why? Almost none get NIL. If purity and love of the game is what you seek and DII DIII or HBCU might be your calling.

NIL is here to stay “as is” IMO. It’s a losing issue in the courts if you try to restrict it or cap it. Only thing colleges can do is shrink the transfer windows. You are not going to limit a persons NIL money in court anymore than you are going to limit a college freshman’s salary at McDonald’s.

NIL has hurt nobody. No school is doing better or worse because of it if you look at rankings and the polls. All it does is give the kids the money instead of marble floors in the athletic departments.

Athletic Departments like Iowa are getting about $60 million in revenue just from TV. I think they will be fine.
It's racist in that the Black Universities are being hurt at the benefit of the rich white schools.

LOL. The title means nothing. Those companies had someone running them. Title means nothing. I spent my whole life in the financial business. It wasn't that long ago noone had ever heard of a CEO. Companies were run by a President. Spent a large part of my brokerage career talking to Presidents because there was no such thing as a CEO.

It's racist in that the Black Universities are being hurt at the benefit of the rich white schools.
again...HOW are the "Black Universities" being hurt and HOW is it at the benefit of the "rich white schools"? You keep saying that with no examples or evidence.

You're a walking talking cliche'

Why is a college education not getting paid anymore? Room, board, food, free health care while on scholarship, all sounds like getting paid to me
It is but they should also receive cash. If you can show me 2 jobs where workers create millions of dollars for the business and in return are only paid in perks with no cash, I might be more sympathetic to your opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk
do not have top down power over everyone else. Most companies have a Board of Director’s and every Credit Union has a Board of Director’s.

Additionally State and Federal regulators have power over Credit Unions. Case in point the first Credit Union I worked at the state came in and relieved the Board and fired the CEO and replaced him with someone they hired.

LOL. The title means nothing. Those companies had someone running them. Title means nothing. I spent my whole life in the financial business. It wasn't that long ago noone had ever heard of a CEO. Companies were run by a President. Spent a large part of my brokerage career talking to Presidents because there was no such thing as a CEO.

A company could also run without a president, but could not run without workers.

• Haha
A company could also run without a president, but could not run without workers.
LOL. You just don't get it. Someone is in charge. My point was that it doesn't matter what that person is called. Even if you have a committee running the business there will be one person who runs the day to day workings. Without someone in charge there would be complete chaos.
Of course you need workers, but you also have to have someone to direct them and make decisions.

I guess NIL is vary racists in the Missouri Valley Conference and the Summit League and a half dozen or more other non HBCU conferences also. Because their athletes are not getting jack squat either.

Wrong again. Had a friend who ran a FedEX route and opened a s corp and listed himself as the CEO. No workers only a CEO. He has no workers he ran the company by himself for several years before adding additional routes and hiring additional employees.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Wrong again. Had a friend who ran a FedEX route and opened a s corp and listed himself as the CEO. No workers only a CEO. He has no workers he ran the company by himself for several years before adding additional routes and hiring additional employees.

Sounds like a worker

It is but they should also receive cash. If you can show me 2 jobs where workers create millions of dollars for the business and in return are only paid in perks with no cash, I might be more sympathetic to your opinion.
I don't give a damn if you are sympathetic to my opinion. The fact is that the system provides a lot of benefits as I noted and worked pretty well for an extended amount of time. I have also always thought that student athletes should get some kind of stipend, cash, if you will, but this million dollar NIL joke is just that and it will not be sustainable, IMHO

I don't give a damn if you are sympathetic to my opinion. The fact is that the system provides a lot of benefits as I noted and worked pretty well for an extended amount of time. I have also always thought that student athletes should get some kind of stipend, cash, if you will, but this million dollar NIL joke is just that and it will not be sustainable, IMHO
Then the contributors, businesses will stop donating to nil.

Nobody is hurt by nil. Schools still taking in a crap ton of money.

It’s not like NIL is causing budget issues for a school, they don’t contribute.

Non sustainable equals: adults stopped giving money to kids. Big deal.

Last edited:
It will be sorted out. If it's not sustainable, it won't be sustained.

Reactions: icwesthawk
What % of athletes are black compared to their population?
You don't get it do you? We all know the money is supposed to go to the athlete, but NIL is sending athletes to the wealthy white schools. Thus, the Black Universities fall farther behind regarding any hope of getting stellar athletes, thus NIL is racist

• Haha
The HBCU'S have the ability to start their own NIL collectives. This is a business decision and it is not racist; you are just attempting to make it racist as that's what victimhood encourages people to do.

You don't get it do you? We all know the money is supposed to go to the athlete, but NIL is sending athletes to the wealthy white schools. Thus, the Black Universities fall farther behind regarding any hope of getting stellar athletes, thus NIL is racist
Your takes in this thread are incredibly bad.

Reactions: obfuscating
My last response to you on this:

I will choose to be silent than to dispute with the ignorant.

Before NIL…

You think a lot of upper crust athletes were going to Black Universities and turning down offers from power conferences? Even before NIL the power schools had better everything including travel and academic help. Not to mention the under the table money.

I would like to know why there are black colleges? Can anyone attend them? Are they private or a state affiliate?

Before NIL…

You think a lot of upper crust athletes were going to Black Universities and turning down offers from power conferences? Even before NIL the power schools had better everything including travel and academic help. Not to mention the under the table money.
NIL only increases the gap between the rich white run Universities and the historic black run Universities competition for money and athletes. NIL is inherently racist in that the Black Universities are once again regulated to second class status.

As to exorbitant tuition cost these days --- I hadn't thought about it before, but just where is this extra money being spent? Does it go to high salaries for Profs??? Funding research which then brings in more Federal grants?? Does anyone here know and can share the answers? Thank you.

Some just have to find the racism even when there is none. BTW, why are there Black Universities but you could never have a White University? Now that does sound racist.

Nope. Because nil is all reported with tax documents. It isn’t the good old days of a brown paper bag full of cash.
Except it's been negotiated and worked--and most likely paid--by many of the schools, which was not the intent. It was NEVER supposed to be a recruiting tool, but has become just that.

Apparently not, thanks for the insightful answer.
I'm sorry I'm not big on big long answers to silly questions. Do you see pro athletes who opt out of union deal thrn opting out tv? Did bonds? Clemens? Will Marvin Harrison jr.? Pretty sure it's the contract to go to work and GameDay would be work. And those games are broadcast on tv. An nil or pa deal is extra no? Video games, jersey sales sponsorships all extra. Showing up for the basics of your contract is not extra.

And you know why you sign that for your kids? Their minors.

There's the big long answer to make your question look even more foolish. Should have just taken the no and moved on.

What exactly is the negative impact?
I think the biggest negative impact is the “money grab” mentality of the players/parents ….combined with the current transfer/portal rules.

The illusion of school loyalty has definitely been shattered and is fans are a bit stung by it.

The majority of kids really don’t care what uniform they’re wearing, it’s only the one who is paying them the most they care about.

That is the negative impact.

I'm sorry I'm not big on big long answers to silly questions. Do you see pro athletes who opt out of union deal thrn opting out tv? Did bonds? Clemens? Will Marvin Harrison jr.? Pretty sure it's the contract to go to work and GameDay would be work. And those games are broadcast on tv. An nil or pa deal is extra no? Video games, jersey sales sponsorships all extra. Showing up for the basics of your contract is not extra.

And you know why you sign that for your kids? Their minors.

There's the big long answer to make your question look even more foolish. Should have just taken the no and moved on.
Cool, except up until the last 2 or 3 years only professionals were being paid for their work. TV revenue directly enables the outlandish contracts teams are able to offer. The last I saw Harrison Jr. had yet to sign any NFLPA contract so he isn't in Madden, I don't know how professional contracts work regarding tv rights. So your example is nowhere near equivalent. Also it's they're. If you're going to talk down to people at least use proper grammar. It's an honest question with the ever changing ncaa "rules." No need to be a dick for the sake of being a dick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT