ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Pearl

ButtersHawk

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2021
Explain to me like I am an idiot why Iowa never made a run at him? Assistant under Dr Tom correct? Is it timing or his infractions?
I am genuinely curious, with my age my earliest memories of Iowa Basketball is with Alfords 2nd year or so.

The guy can flat out coach and has made Auburn a very very good program.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
Explain to me like I am an idiot why Iowa never made a run at him? Assistant under Dr Tom correct? Is it timing or his infractions?
I am genuinely curious, with my age my earliest memories of Iowa Basketball is with Alfords 2nd year or so.

*Insert Barta Pic Here*

I'd still be thrilled to have him as our head coach, but seems like that ship has long since sailed.

I know he was the sentimental favorite among many of us message board geeks when Alford left. We got Todd Lickliter instead...

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
A year ago in the gazette....

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Bruce Pearl’s 63rd birthday is Saturday, and the Iowa men’s basketball team hopes he observes it two hours from here in Auburn rather than here.

Pearl’s Auburn team stands between the Hawkeyes and an NCAA tournament victory Thursday at Legacy Arena. Everyone who knows anything about college basketball is aware you should never count Pearl out.

But he has been. Again and again. To give you all the examples would require an encyclopedia, not a book. And not “The Encyclopedia of the Full Court Pressure Defense,” a set of three Pearl videos that are a lecture series.

The first time Pearl’s coaching future appeared in free-fall was at Iowa in the late 1980s. Ancient history, but an early piece of proof that Pearl never stayed down despite situations that suggested otherwise.

Tom Davis’ Iowa staff and Lou Henson’s Illinois crew recruited Chicago prep Deon Thomas hard. Thomas chose the Illini. Pearl recorded a phone conversation in which he asked Thomas if he received cash and an SUV from Illinois assistant coach Jimmy Collins, and turned the tape over to the NCAA.

Thomas claimed he said yes to Pearl’s questions to get rid of him. Thomas made accusations of his own about Pearl.

“Career suicide,” ESPN’s Dick Vitale declared Pearl’s action on national television.

It made for an extremely ugly feud between the two programs that didn’t remotely begin to settle down until Pearl left Iowa to become the head coach at Division II Southern Indiana in 1992.

Thomas went on to become Illinois’ all-time leading scorer with 2,129 points. But the NCAA’s investigation of the Illini program that began with the Pearl-Thomas business veered into other areas, and Illinois was handed a one-year postseason ban and recruiting restrictions.

The Hawkeyes had some great times on the court while Pearl was with Davis from 1986 to 1992. The last Elite Eight Iowa team was 1987. So was its last No. 1 ranking.

Where Pearl would normally have been seen as a strong candidate for attractive Division I head coaching jobs, he instead was a pariah to D-I athletic directors. So the first place he ran a program was Southern Indiana, 10-18 the season before he arrived in 1992.

Pearl went to Evansville and created a D-II power. The Screaming Eagles were the national runner-up in 1994 and national champ the next year. Pearl was there until 2001, after he had a compiled a record of 231-46.

But it took until 2001 for Pearl to get a Division I offer he found agreeable, when he went to UW Milwaukee. He went 86-38 in four years, the last one ending at the Sweet 16.

Then he was off to Tennessee in 2005, and soon had the men’s program there as popular as Pat Summitt’s women’s basketball dynasty, a considerable achievement.

Tennessee was ranked No. 1 for a week in 2008 and was No. 5 at season’s end. Things unraveled not long afterward. An NCAA investigation brought the program down. Pearl was charged with recruiting violations, unethical conduct for lying to the NCAA — a pile of infractions.

Tennessee fired him in March 2011. The NCAA gave Pearl a three-year show-cause penalty, effectively making him unhireable in college ball. That would have been an inglorious closing coaching chapter for many. But there’s always someone who will be drawn to a proven winner.

In 2014, as Pearl’s penalty neared its end, Auburn swooped him up. The build was slow there, but sure. The Tigers won 30 games and reached the Final Four in 2019. Last season, they went 27-5 and enjoyed the first No. 1 ranking in program history for three weeks. They won the Southeastern Conference regular-season championship.

Last January, Pearl was given an eight-year contract extension worth $50.2 million.

“In addition to Auburn’s remarkable on-court success under his leadership,” said then-school athletic director Allen Greene, “Coach Pearl has tirelessly championed Auburn athletics and Auburn University while serving our community in countless ways. This extension ensures that Auburn’s commitment to Coach Pearl matches BP’s commitment to Auburn.”

Career suicide? A $50 million deal, and 648 wins in 28 seasons as a head coach? More like delayed gratification.

Two years ago, Pearl was honored at Vitale’s annual gala in Florida to raise millions for pediatric cancer.

“I will tell you right now that Mr. Pearl and Mrs. Pearl, they are awesome, baby, with a capital A!” Vitale said.

Here Pearl is in Birmingham, his state. He’s trying to get his team past the Hawkeyes Thursday. He is 31 years removed from Iowa, but some people aren’t easily forgotten.

“I loved my time at Iowa,” Pearl said Wednesday. “I always hoped the Iowa fans would look at me and say ‘He was one of us. He was a Hawkeye. And he’s gone on and done well.’”

timing...in 99 he wasnt a better candidate than Alford. It's ridiculous to argue other wise without hindsight. Alford was the hottest candidate on the market.

2007 he was at Tennessee in first year contract and wasn't leaving to coach Iowa

2010 he had Tenn rolling and just signed a 6 year contract extension. a year later he got hit with no show clause.

Reactions: littlez
Grew up near him in the 80s when he was an Iowa assistant. Dude always hauled a** up the street in his brown toyota corolla...my parents were literally worried I'd get run over by him...'LOOK OUT...Bruce is coming!" Lol
Definitely a high energy/charismatic guy.

There was a time when I was screaming for Iowa to hire him. I'm glad we didn't. He's slimy.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
A year ago in the gazette....

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Bruce Pearl’s 63rd birthday is Saturday, and the Iowa men’s basketball team hopes he observes it two hours from here in Auburn rather than here.

Pearl’s Auburn team stands between the Hawkeyes and an NCAA tournament victory Thursday at Legacy Arena. Everyone who knows anything about college basketball is aware you should never count Pearl out.

But he has been. Again and again. To give you all the examples would require an encyclopedia, not a book. And not “The Encyclopedia of the Full Court Pressure Defense,” a set of three Pearl videos that are a lecture series.

The first time Pearl’s coaching future appeared in free-fall was at Iowa in the late 1980s. Ancient history, but an early piece of proof that Pearl never stayed down despite situations that suggested otherwise.

Tom Davis’ Iowa staff and Lou Henson’s Illinois crew recruited Chicago prep Deon Thomas hard. Thomas chose the Illini. Pearl recorded a phone conversation in which he asked Thomas if he received cash and an SUV from Illinois assistant coach Jimmy Collins, and turned the tape over to the NCAA.

Thomas claimed he said yes to Pearl’s questions to get rid of him. Thomas made accusations of his own about Pearl.

“Career suicide,” ESPN’s Dick Vitale declared Pearl’s action on national television.

It made for an extremely ugly feud between the two programs that didn’t remotely begin to settle down until Pearl left Iowa to become the head coach at Division II Southern Indiana in 1992.

Thomas went on to become Illinois’ all-time leading scorer with 2,129 points. But the NCAA’s investigation of the Illini program that began with the Pearl-Thomas business veered into other areas, and Illinois was handed a one-year postseason ban and recruiting restrictions.

The Hawkeyes had some great times on the court while Pearl was with Davis from 1986 to 1992. The last Elite Eight Iowa team was 1987. So was its last No. 1 ranking.

Where Pearl would normally have been seen as a strong candidate for attractive Division I head coaching jobs, he instead was a pariah to D-I athletic directors. So the first place he ran a program was Southern Indiana, 10-18 the season before he arrived in 1992.

Pearl went to Evansville and created a D-II power. The Screaming Eagles were the national runner-up in 1994 and national champ the next year. Pearl was there until 2001, after he had a compiled a record of 231-46.

But it took until 2001 for Pearl to get a Division I offer he found agreeable, when he went to UW Milwaukee. He went 86-38 in four years, the last one ending at the Sweet 16.

Then he was off to Tennessee in 2005, and soon had the men’s program there as popular as Pat Summitt’s women’s basketball dynasty, a considerable achievement.

Tennessee was ranked No. 1 for a week in 2008 and was No. 5 at season’s end. Things unraveled not long afterward. An NCAA investigation brought the program down. Pearl was charged with recruiting violations, unethical conduct for lying to the NCAA — a pile of infractions.

Tennessee fired him in March 2011. The NCAA gave Pearl a three-year show-cause penalty, effectively making him unhireable in college ball. That would have been an inglorious closing coaching chapter for many. But there’s always someone who will be drawn to a proven winner.

In 2014, as Pearl’s penalty neared its end, Auburn swooped him up. The build was slow there, but sure. The Tigers won 30 games and reached the Final Four in 2019. Last season, they went 27-5 and enjoyed the first No. 1 ranking in program history for three weeks. They won the Southeastern Conference regular-season championship.

Last January, Pearl was given an eight-year contract extension worth $50.2 million.

“In addition to Auburn’s remarkable on-court success under his leadership,” said then-school athletic director Allen Greene, “Coach Pearl has tirelessly championed Auburn athletics and Auburn University while serving our community in countless ways. This extension ensures that Auburn’s commitment to Coach Pearl matches BP’s commitment to Auburn.”

Career suicide? A $50 million deal, and 648 wins in 28 seasons as a head coach? More like delayed gratification.

Two years ago, Pearl was honored at Vitale’s annual gala in Florida to raise millions for pediatric cancer.

“I will tell you right now that Mr. Pearl and Mrs. Pearl, they are awesome, baby, with a capital A!” Vitale said.

Here Pearl is in Birmingham, his state. He’s trying to get his team past the Hawkeyes Thursday. He is 31 years removed from Iowa, but some people aren’t easily forgotten.

“I loved my time at Iowa,” Pearl said Wednesday. “I always hoped the Iowa fans would look at me and say ‘He was one of us. He was a Hawkeye. And he’s gone on and done well.’”
So 2014 - around the play-in game vs Tennesee, Marble's last year, Fran fade. I know the Fran family was going through a lot at the end of that season. So, I wouldn't expect Barta to act fast on this. But he could have at least reached out, and see how 2014-15 goes, to try and hold off other interested schools. And then make the switch. Instead we got Barta'd again, the gift that keeps on giving.

• Haha
Reactions: iowaathletes

I believe that Pearl and Collin’s both made an agreement with the powers that were to leave the V10 and never come back. Both were pretty dirty and BOTH got caught. Plenty of egg on plenty of faces. Henson and Davis were never buddies afterwards, which is too bad as both guys are really good people.,

Because he pushes the line on NCAA regulations and Iowa didn't want to deal with that. Another way to say it is we aren't being serious about winning.

I think the easiest explanation is at the time Iowa had a home run hire with Steve Alford who was projected to be a highly successful coach, was young, and would have a big impact on recruiting. It was only reinforced when he beat the number 1 team in the country, UCONN, in his first game. Things certainly didn't pan out that way, however, and people were happy to see Alford leave.

I think the easiest explanation is at the time Iowa had a home run hire with Steve Alford who was projected to be a highly successful coach, was young, and would have a big impact on recruiting. It was only reinforced when he beat the number 1 team in the country, UCONN, in his first game. Things certainly didn't pan out that way, however, and people were happy to see Alford leave.
Yes, it's easy to criticize in retrospect, but at the time, if Iowa was determined to move on from Davis (he got a raw deal, IMO), then Steve Alford was looking like a good hire. He took SWMS to the Sweet 16 that year, also.

Not that Alford has been a BAD coach (winning record wherever he's been) but he was clearly a step down from Davis, as it turns out... And he didn't exactly endear himself to anyone in the state those 8 years.

This was exactly the case, well said

Yes, it's easy to criticize in retrospect, but at the time, if Iowa was determined to move on from Davis (he got a raw deal, IMO), then Steve Alford was looking like a good hire. He took SWMS to the Sweet 16 that year, also.

Not that Alford has been a BAD coach (winning record wherever he's been) but he was clearly a step down from Davis, as it turns out... And he didn't exactly endear himself to anyone in the state those 8 years.
It was SMS…Southwest Missouri State, now Missouri State. Not trying to be a douche but went to school there. Loved the success the bball program had there with Charlie Spoonhour then Alfraud took over, had success then knew he’d bail to the B1G which he did. Figured it would be Indiana and not Iowa.

Pearl's past has marks against it which I don't remember well, but someone out there will. When he was at Iowa, he ratted out another school for recruiting violations, and was rewarded with a scarlet letter. He bounced around smaller schools for a while and then got bigger job where he was caught cheating. In today's wild west, he will do well because there is no cheating to speak of. He does lead all coaches in sweating. I think he soaks about three towels a game. He made headlines while coaching at Tennessee by going to a women's game bare-chested with T painted on it in honor of their great coach.

Pearl's past has marks against it which I don't remember well, but someone out there will. When he was at Iowa, he ratted out another school for recruiting violations, and was rewarded with a scarlet letter. He bounced around smaller schools for a while and then got bigger job where he was caught cheating. In today's wild west, he will do well because there is no cheating to speak of. He does lead all coaches in sweating. I think he soaks about three towels a game. He made headlines while coaching at Tennessee by going to a women's game bare-chested with T painted on it in honor of their great coach.

He secretly recorded a phone call with Deon Thomas who eventually committed to Illinois. Pearl had gotten wind that Jimmy Collins had paid Thomas cash + a Chevy Blazer. It turned into a shitshow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT