ADVERTISEMENT

Conner starts his two sport effort!

You a correct! Connor is a more than adequate as a back up point guard. That is what he is. He plays an important role on this team by eating up some minutes and distributing the basketball. For the people thinking he only plays because he is the coach's son, learn the game. Just who else on this team could take over his role? Anyone else would be turning the ball over in epic proportions.

Fantastic post.

Being the 1000 times heartless loser OP referenced above, it appears I walked into Conner's fan club! Actually, no harm was intended; the very quick turnaround simply struck me as noteworthy... late Friday night tip off in Chicago, followed by a midday Saturday first pitch in Iowa City. The "master of none" comment was based upon a less than all-star performance on Friday followed by a strike-out cameo; facts are facts, but if that is truly hurtful, sorry!
Your apology drips with sincerity. I'd like to buy you a beer. It's Dickhead, right?

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Being the 1000 times heartless loser OP referenced above, it appears I walked into Conner's fan club! Actually, no harm was intended; the very quick turnaround simply struck me as noteworthy... late Friday night tip off in Chicago, followed by a midday Saturday first pitch in Iowa City. The "master of none" comment was based upon a less than all-star performance on Friday followed by a strike-out cameo; facts are facts, but if that is truly hurtful, sorry!

You conveniently left out Connor’s 1st start “cameo”on the baseball field........... I played baseball at Iowa and Connor was probably more rested than some of the rest of the baseball team who partied all night in downtown IC. I guess you think he should have rested up all day Saturday after playing 17 minutes of basketball on Friday? I don’t think you’re “heartless”, “loser”? Quite possibly. But definitely clueless.

I thought you had to wait until one season was over until you could play in another? Didn’t Charlie Ward played both football/basketball?

I’d wish he would concentrate on one sport. Pick basketball or baseball and concentrate on it. I’m guessing his ceiling is higher in baseball than basketball.
So he should have sat in his dorm Saturday "concentrating" on basketball? I'm sure many on the team spend their "concentration" time with a gaming device in their hands. Much rather have him concentrating on competing with teammates, even if it is the baseball team

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Once was very common with Alvin Dark, Frankie Baumholtz, Jackie Jensen, Gene Conley, Jackie Robinson,
Dick Groat, Tom Yewic, Vic Janowitz and others.

The most current college 2 sport athlete in this list is from 65 years ago. Some 6 years before Fran (not Conner) was even born.[/QUOTE]

I would think “Once was very common” Did not necessitate further interpretation. In the interest of full disclosure I confess to having seen Deacon Davis. Bill Logan, Carl Seaberg, Carl Cain and even Don Nelson play along with George “Dusty” Rice, Bill Reichow and Alex Karras. I did not seen Kinnick or Duke Slater play although I did cover a trial in Judge Slater’s court.

You conveniently left out Connor’s 1st start “cameo”on the baseball field........... I played baseball at Iowa and Connor was probably more rested than some of the rest of the baseball team who partied all night in downtown IC. I guess you think he should have rested up all day Saturday after playing 17 minutes of basketball on Friday? I don’t think you’re “heartless”, “loser”? Quite possibly. But definitely clueless.

I think I’ve asked before but who did you play under at Iowa?

Based on these posts it would bode well for the basketball program if we have enough PG depth that he doesn’t see the court much in the future and he can concentrate on a baseball career with tremendous upside. He has helped the baseketball team this year, I just wish we had more talent there(stated now for the 999th time). He is impressive to play both sports and do well academically. Great young man!

I don’t think it’s wise to have your PG who plays 20 minutes a game go away from a team in a single elimination tournament and miss probable game planning and practice for the baseball team whose playing a d3 school.

Reactions: scarletred
I don’t think it’s wise to have your PG who plays 20 minutes a game go away from a team in a single elimination tournament and miss probable game planning and practice for the baseball team whose playing a d3 school.

I doubt they spend every minute together so it's probably not a problem. But I do have to wonder if Fran would handle it differently if Connor wasn't his son.

I doubt they spend every minute together so it's probably not a problem. But I do have to wonder if Fran would handle it differently if Connor wasn't his son.

I currently play college baseball and the amount of time you spend with your team is insane. Couldn’t imagine doing what Connor is doing.

On a side note, if I played for a California team and found out I was getting on a plane to Iowa and play on a 39 degree day where 2 inches of snow fell overnight, I would throat punch the AD when I got back to California...

Most left coasters could not pick Iowa out on a map. I’m sure they had no idea where they were going and wondering where the beach was when they got off the plane.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I disagree about owing something to his teammates. The basketball team is a really close group and they 100 percent support Connor playing baseball.

I do agree with you that eventually he’ll decide to only play baseball since that’s where he’s most likely to have a future, but in the meantime, both teams are more than fine with him splitting time. Heller is a fantastic coach...if he didnt believe in Connor or think he could help the team win, he wouldn’t allow it, much less start him.
Personally, I think its awesome that we have a kid who is both an excellent basketball and baseball player representing our university. And heck, isn't he also a straight A student?

Amazing.

Had Iowa lost to Cincy yesterday I was curious to see if Connor would have shown up in Bloomington on Saturday for the last 2 games of the Indiana series. Must say I’m VERY happy that he is playing on the hardwood instead of diamond on Sunday.

Last edited:
Had Iowa lost to Cindy yesterday I was curious to see if Connor would have shown up in Bloomington on Saturday for the last 2 games of the Indiana series. Must say I’m VERY happy that he is playing on the hardwood instead of diamond on Sunday.

Heller had him on the travel roster for the weekend.

I thought you had to wait until one season was over until you could play in another? Didn’t Charlie Ward played both football/basketball?

I’d wish he would concentrate on one sport. Pick basketball or baseball and concentrate on it. I’m guessing his ceiling is higher in baseball than basketball.
I personally believe his career ceiling is higher in basketball. He will have many contacts in basketball, see Brian Ferentz. That may not be a perfect example, but I see my point.

Reactions: HaydenHawk8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT