ADVERTISEMENT

Connor McCaffrey

There's no guarantee he would become a pro player (in either sport) if he dedicated himself solely to one or the other. He has a unique opportunity to play two sports, good for him.

I would venture to guess he drops baseball after a year or two to focus on basketball.

In these times of one sport year round and all that, it gives me a good feeling to know that a kid could be a college student and athlete competing in sports because he enjoys them.

I mean, why not? It seems Conner has maintained a close to 4.0 in high school. Just from my point of view it is more fun rooting for a team that has guys like this on it! :)

West High's coach runs a slowdown style that is terrible to watch. Connor is a Top 100 recruit because he is playing great against much better competition during the AAU season.
I hate to let facts get in the way of a good story but let me try. I have seen the the comment several times that West High plays a slowdown style and is terrible to watch. I looked up some numbers on Quik stats. Over he last 5 seasons, West has been 2nd, 3rd,3rd,3rd and 9th in 4A scoring out of 48 teams. They have averaged 68 ppg over that time. They somehow had a record of 121-9 over those 5 seasons playing that 'terrible to watch, slowdown style'. Having watched many of those games, I can tell you that because of their dominance, they have had the ball held on them countless times and had a running clock going in the second half of many games over that time frame. In spite of that, they averaged 68 points ppg game( which would be 85 ppg in a 40 minute college game). I won't argue with you that they are terrible to watch, as that is a matter of taste, but I really doubt you have watched more than a game or 2 based on your lack of any facts to back up your statement.

Reactions: Legend12
I have only seen Connor play basketball in the state championship game against Valley. I agree it was an awful game to watch, but I will say this:

Several times he had the ball on the wing. He is tall enough to shoot over the defense, but he wouldn't do it very much. When he did, his shot wasn't overly-impressive to me. Could he have faked a shot more and driven to the hoop?

I know this - I've watched tons of players come through high school basketball in Iowa, many hyped and some not as hyped. The players that are good enough to be impact players in a P5 conference show you something in those games. Connor showed me nothing.

Yeah, like we see so many "Bo Jackson type freak athletes" pass through the U of I. Don't they all go to Moo U?

What I mean by that is that he just can't step on a field after his other sport and heat a baseball 450 feet or be out of football and then jump back in and be a star. He is going to have to spend a lot of time developing his game and if his taking time to play another sport it is going to hurt his development in both.

Reactions: championhawk
You have no clue about what you are posting.. There was a time when wrestling coaches tried to claim that their sport suffered because of money going to women's programs under Title IX. The data on financial support for athletes has been published over & over again, and conclusively shown that neither wrestling or baseball OR ANY other men's programs ANYWHERE were adversely affected by Title IX.

In the decade following the adoption of Title IX there was not ONE Division 1 member where the spending on men's programs decreased while the budgeting for women's athletics increased.

When I was a graduate student tutoring in the Iowa Athletic Dept in the glory years 1955-57 the only baseball players who got any significant financial aid were guys who were on football or basketball schollies. The kind of financial assistance that baseball, wrestlers, swimmers, etc got was phoney "counselors" jobs in the dorms or other "employment" by the university. The AD & U officials looked the other way at Coach Evy's under-the-table money, though everyone around the Fieldhouse knew about it (along with other scandals involving AD Paul Brechler).

The facts: almost all Division 1 schools pass on large sums of student fees to athletics----and the majority of students paying the fees are women. and until only recently this included Iowa (which has consistently operated its athletic programs with a profit & hasn't needed the fees---or the revenue from charging students for game tickets---always free until Fry and winning came in 1980); a constantly increasing number of athletes at Iowa---now about half----get financial aid from endowed scholarships (endowed by the millions donated by wealthy COUPLES---you know, the pairs that Republicans insist must be half women---who keep U of Iowa athletics in the top 10% of revenue in the entire Division 1. You might want to reflect a moment on the fact that Lucille Carver (of Carver-Hawkeye Arena) alone has and continues through the Carver Foundation to provide enough funding to underwrite the Hawekeye baseball program every year.

Title IX is not the reason why "minor" sports (in the bizarre manner that the NCAA finds the world's most popular sports like soccer/real football, baseball, track & field, tennis, hockey to be "minor" ones) can only be partially supported by scholarships. That is the decision of the NCAA (based on subservience to the major TV networks, ESPN, Comcast, Fox)----and any school not named Notre Dame, UNC, Ohio State. Michigan. UConn, Syracuse, Southern Cal, or Kentucky will get penalized for millions of dollars lost in consequence of overspending the limits placed on minor sports by the NCAA before Title IX was even proposed in the US Congress.

The only impact of Title IX is that almost two decades ago the NCAA decreed a 15% reduction in the numbers of FULL schollies in all men's programs (this was necessary to make it possible for expenditures on women's sports to make progress toward parity: NCAA Division 1 member schools were unwilling to allow schools to give less than a FULL schollie to ALL 100 football or 15 basketball players, but agreed to a 15% reduction in scholarship money to all men's programs. So blame belongs on football & basketball (i.e., the source of the hundreds of millions of dollars the NCAA gets---and partially divides---among member schools).

And if Title X still bugs you, I've got news for you: Hillary is about to become your worst nightmare.
U of Iowa softball just announced they are having try outs. SMH

I was a d1 baseball coach when I was younger. Screw your BS.

I saw first hand what happens to men's programs like baseball. I watched as we fund raised several hundred thousand dollars for a new lighting system and turf and watched participation and roster limitations (not even talkingtalking about scholarships ) cut.

I then watch as softball had more scholarships than baseball and still had to hold open tryouts to fill those spots. Whereas we had close to 100 boys try out just to get an Opportunity to practice through fall and winter hoping to make the practice roster for the season. Many tried out 4 straight years. All that went away. Boys paying their own way were denied opportunitiea because if title ix.

I watched as softball demanded to have (for no effort on their own) all of the things we had built on our own. Not just the basics, the luxury items. The things we worked for in addition to the budget.

Using football roster #s in the formula is a joke.

I have a daughter that played basketball in college. So I am certainly glad she had opportunities but she understands that we cannot legislate equality in all situations. It's ridiculous.

So don't try to lecture me on your agenda BS.
As I was saying.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT