ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper Dejean

So - if you think being able to put up ridiculous numbers in small school Iowa High school football in any way relates to being able to do the same thing (see original post) in Division 1 football you are simply delusional. He is a great defensive back who will likely be a round 1 draft choice. Leave it at that. He would not come in and rush for 200 yards, pass for another 200 yards, and score 4 td's every week simply because he may have done that in high school. The linemen aren't 190, linebackers 175, with 150 pound defensive backs. He also doesn't step on the field always being the best athlete. At some point use some common sense about this.
He runs around everyone now.

So, Cooper in his senior year passed for 3447 yards. He rushed for 1235.

Last season the Hawks threw for 2037 and rushed for 1233. Cooper did it in 12 games; the Hawks in 13. Do the math: Total yards passing and rushing per game:

Cooper: 3447 + 1235 divided by 12

390 yards per game

Iowa: 2037 + 1233 divided by 12

251 yards per game

Hmmm. Here’s a novel idea. Let’s put a guy who single handily outgained the ENTIRE Iowa team….let’s put him on the defensive side. Am I missing something here?
I like your thinking - I for one am all about having him under center .. I love Deacon and his fire I just hope he can clean up some of these overthrown balls … at least they’re high up and not catchable for the defenders as I think he’s going to be a good one once he settles down. But if Cooper can play at a high level at QB then we should have him there and let him light em up …

Whether or not CDJ would be successful or not in the Iowa offense is a silly argument to have at this point in his college football career because we will never know. They're not going to implement him into the offense with only 6-8 games left to play, that would be foolish and also a disservice to CDJ and his future career opportunities. He's unlikely to return next year, why would we double his chances for injury just to get him involved in our mediocre offense for a half of a season? If he were a true freshman, then maybe. At this point, it's just silly and desperate.

Throwing him out there for damn near every game snap might be the dumbest idea ever floated on this message board, and that's saying a lot.

Reactions: 2bagger22
So, Cooper in his senior year passed for 3447 yards. He rushed for 1235.

Last season the Hawks threw for 2037 and rushed for 1233. Cooper did it in 12 games; the Hawks in 13. Do the math: Total yards passing and rushing per game:

Cooper: 3447 + 1235 divided by 12

390 yards per game

Iowa: 2037 + 1233 divided by 12

251 yards per game

Hmmm. Here’s a novel idea. Let’s put a guy who single handily outgained the ENTIRE Iowa team….let’s put him on the defensive side. Am I missing something here?
How do you say you know nothing about football without saying it. Putting Cooper in at QB would be a disastrously bad idea.

To people who think it is a crazy idea because he came from a small school you are wrong. He's a small town white kid who came in and has become an All-American at corner. What makes you think he couldn't produce at this level as a QB? Other D1 teams recruited him as a QB.

That and our QB production has been the worst in the g*ddamn country so it couldn't be any worse. We already can't throw anyways but at least he'd be able to run.
South Dakota State (his only other offer) is not D1.

he also kicked off for his HS team. He never punted because he scored every time he touched the ball. He didn't kick extra points because he made the 2 point conversion everytime.

He did kick one FG. a 77 yarder. Just because he wanted to break that record.
chuck norris GIF

Cooper = Chuck Norris

• Haha
Reactions: Fan In Black
With this offensive line the only place I'd want to see him is wide receiver. Decent OL, wildcat QB all the way.

Cooper had no D1 offers to play QB. There was "interest" from a few schools, including Nebraska and apparently Virginia, but no offers.
Look, I'm not bashing the kid by saying I don't think his ability as a passer would translate from small town Iowa football to D1. There were 131 D1 schools looking at QBs and nobody offered him as a QB.
It doesn't matter. I love him. I wish he'd get some Wildcat plays. Run him a few times now to set up a pass out of it in the future.

Reactions: rrsteffe
Playing Coop at QB would just turn fans against him at this point. Nothing will work on offense as long as KF and BF are in charge of it. We could have the offensive talent of the 49ers but they'd struggle to score more than 17 points a game at best. Coop is where he needs to be to get to the next level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT