ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper Koch

Worley, wherever he is at this moment, just picked up another foul.
LOL!! Does anybody else remember that Euro Trip they had over summer and Worley somehow fouled out of the game in something like 4 minutes of playtime?

On a more serious note, I played Little League baseball with Worley and went to the same schools as him growing up and in no way was he a cancer on or off the court. The problem Worley had was the problem almost every high end Div 1 recruit had, people giving him a swelled head because of his athletic talent.

Worley was incredibly talented but his main issue was his footwork fundamentals were horrible, in high school he was able to rely on his athleticism to compensate for it but in college he wasn't able to mask it and the refs called him out a lot for it.

Too bad he was coached by Alford, who may be the worst post player development coach I have seen in Iowa history. I have a hard time thinking of a single post player under him that clearly improved, maybe Erek Hansen or Doug Thomas.. maybe.

He came in as a pencil neck geek but left Iowa a double digit starter on a Sweet 16 team. So if the kid was twice as good as his dad he'd average around 21 ppg senior year.
Not to mention that he left as an NBA draft pick by the Knicks(yes he never played a game). We’ve had 3 draft picks in the almost 23 years since and only one of those three has actually played in a game.

Worley was incredibly talented but his main issue was his footwork fundamentals were horrible, in high school he was able to rely on his athleticism to compensate for it but in college he wasn't able to mask it and the refs called him out a lot for it.

Too bad he was coached by Alford, who may be the worst post player development coach I have seen in Iowa history. I have a hard time thinking of a single post player under him that clearly improved, maybe Erek Hansen or Doug Thomas.. maybe.

I talked to Bergman about Worley...he said he was one of the most coachable kids he ever had in the program. And I felt GW's footwork was really good in high school, because Bergman would have drilled that stuff over and over.

And that helps support your stance on Alford's development of bigs...they just didn't do enough drills to keep their muscle memory where it needs to be. I've been in NBA practices where they do the friggin Mikan drill multiple times, and break down every step to make sure they are doing it efficiently.

They said the same about his brothers . Weren’t they both top 50 in their grade in their early high school years?

Not sure about that.

The other site had Connor at an 87 grade (mid 3 star) the whole time. Even their composite which includes Rivals, had him ranked outside the top 100 at his peak.

Pat was higher ranked, but Pat is also a legit prospect. Played over guys like Tyler Wahl in AAU and won MVP of the Eastern Iowa All Star game featuring DJ Carton and the Murray twins. He's going to be a good player for Iowa.

Jack will be a legit 6'9" or more. He's already over 6'5" as an 8th grader.

They said the same about his brothers . Weren’t they both top 50 in their grade in their early high school years?
I don't think Cmac was ever that highly rated. Folks are basing that off what Jack is doing now, and its pretty typical for the youngest son to be the best athlete, having gone against older brothers who have played at a high level...

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Not to mention that he left as an NBA draft pick by the Knicks(yes he never played a game). We’ve had 3 draft picks in the almost 23 years since and only one of those three has actually played in a game.
Cook I know, but whether they were drafted or not, both Dev Marble and Utoff HAVE played in NBA games.....

Reactions: perryhawk
I don't think Cmac was ever that highly rated. Folks are basing that off what Jack is doing now, and its pretty typical for the youngest son to be the best athlete, having gone against older brothers who have played at a high level...

And he's the most physically gifted. Connor is shorter. If Connor was 6'9" he'd be a great player.

Pat was just thin from cancer.

Jack has Pat's height with Connor's basketball IQ. He's also the best shooter of them.

And he's the most physically gifted. Connor is shorter. If Connor was 6'9" he'd be a great player.

Pat was just thin from cancer.

Jack has Pat's height with Connor's basketball IQ. He's also the best shooter of them.
Thats pretty much my point. It only makes sense that Jack would have a high basketball IQ and be the most skilled just as most youngest boy siblings usually are if they have the physical makeup. I've been around countless sets of families with three or four boys and without exception the youngest was the best of the group. I also raised three sons and the youngest was head and shoulders the best athlete. Just by playing against his older siblings three and six years older, he advanced faster. When he started playing in 4th grade he played up a grade every year until 8th grade and dominated kids in his own class. By 9th grade (in Missouri you can't play in high school until 9th) he started on the varsity and was the teams leading scorer, four times scoring over 20 point in a single 8 minute quarter against kids 2 or 3 years older then him. Jack will be the best of the three, barring some kind of setback.....

Reactions: BBHawk
Cook I know, but whether they were drafted or not, both Dev Marble and Utoff HAVE played in NBA games.....
Not sure what you’re trying to say, but I’ll correct you and add to it. Cook wasn’t drafted. Dev is the only draft pick since Ryan Bowen to get minutes in the NBA. Cook joins Uthoff, Reggie, Reiner, Deano, and “Life as a G“ Rucker as free agents that played since Bowen’s pick. Koch, Haluska, and White are the draft picks that didn’t make an NBA roster.

My point is that JR wasn’t hated or booed by any meaningful part of the fan base. And I’m not a fan of this revisionist history. He turned himself into an NBA draft pick by the end of his career, something that few players since have been able to do. He wasn’t as loved as Bowen who graduated one year earlier, but Ryan was an Iowan and JR wasn’t plus JR spent a little too much time out at the 3pt line instead or banging inside. But that doesn’t mean he was hated. He’s probably the opposite as Luka in that he’d get a better look at making a roster today whereas Luka would have gotten a better shot at playing time in the late 90s or earlier when there were still traditional centers playing all over the league.

Reactions: Ronman
This article from 2014 when he committed says he was ranked #24.

This article from 2014 when he committed says he was ranked #24.
We had a running joke about a guy. He was rated in the top 50 7th graders in 7th grade. Everyone else caught up in size and strength and we said that as a senior he had held his place as he was still in the top 50 7th graders.

JR Koch was a good player. The people who believe he wasn’t must be thinking of JR Angle.

Fullly agree. I thought he did well at Iowa. Not every player is a star, but he was pretty solid his last 2 years and brought some nice height and length. If his son grows to 6'9" he will be a tough player to guard at this level.

Myfoggy memory is Connor being ranked in top 25 before falling considerably his senior year, but still top 100. Patrick was consistently top 50 or better.

from what ive seen of Jack, his shot looks much better than his brothers and he’s at least as good at ball handling. Looks like a point guard to me. If he grows to 6’9” then we may have another Magic Johnson. Or would he be “White” Magic?

• Haha
Reactions: Ronman and BBHawk
Myfoggy memory is Connor being ranked in top 25 before falling considerably his senior year, but still top 100. Patrick was consistently top 50 or better.

from what ive seen of Jack, his shot looks much better than his brothers and he’s at least as good at ball handling. Looks like a point guard to me. If he grows to 6’9” then we may have another Magic Johnson. Or would he be “White” Magic?
Connor might have dropped outside the Top 100, IIRC, but Rivals dropped his ranking altogether when he announced he was walking on at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT