ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper Koch

Go Clones amirite
I think people are getting confused about the past. J.R. Angle was a huge disappointment after being highly hyped. J.R. Koch was a productive player. Koch wasn’t superstar but he was a decent player. I liked Koch as a player. I met him a couple of times and he was always a very nice and polite young man. I think his son has some talent and I’m sure he would be a good character kid.

I think people are getting confused about the past. J.R. Angle was a huge disappointment after being highly hyped. J.R. Koch was a productive player. Koch wasn’t superstar but he was a decent player. I liked Koch as a player. I met him a couple of times and he was always a very nice and polite young man. I think his son has some talent and I’m sure he would be a good character kid.

You may be right. Koch was drafted in the NBA's second round and played 6 years in Europe. (not to mention playing on IOWA's last Sweet 16 squad).

Here's a piece about the younger Sommerville and Koch.

https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports...eshmen-prepared-by-famous-fathers/3888792001/

Last edited:
J.R. Angle is a another sad legacy of the Alford era. Was actually a high recruit (ranked as the tenth highest ranked Iowa recruit ever by 247Sports), but obviously peaked in HS. Didn't play much for Alford or Lickliter. Didn't even get a minute of floor time on his Senior Day and managed only 117 points for his Iowa career.

J.R. Angle is a another sad legacy of the Alford era. Was actually a high recruit (ranked as the tenth highest ranked Iowa recruit ever by 247Sports), but obviously peaked in HS. Didn't play much for Alford or Lickliter. Didn't even get a minute of floor time on his Senior Day and managed only 117 points for his Iowa career.
He was highly rated as a freshman/sophomore in high school. His ranking dropped later in his HS career. Alford thought he had a coup in getting a good shooter out of Indiana. But he had MAC-level talent by the time he hit college. Didn't even hit 100 total points in his career over 5 years(1 redshirt) in school.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
If he is twice as talented as his father, I dont want him. We can do better
Haha, I wasn't a fan even though he was pretty good (shocked he got drafted). His game WAY more suited for today's style of play.....decent shooter but super soft down low, remember him getting swatted a lot

KeM and KrM seem very good. Care to explain?
The Murray twins and Devyn Marble were the pleasant exceptions. Are you really going to argue that every son of every past Iowa basketball player should be granted a scholarship because he's a legacy? That's an express ride to the bottom of the B1G. He didn't even pursue Wyatt Lohaus, who was a pretty decent player.

Last edited:
Cooper is starting to stack up Big Ten offers, with Purdue, Wisconsin, and Indiana all coming in these past few days.

I wouldn't bet the farm on all of them being Hawks
What about 3 of them being Hawks? (assuming Fran is still there)

Jack seems like a lock, Iowa seems to be Koch's leader right now, and assuming his game progresses, Luke has pretty strong ties to the program too.

Not saying I'd be the farm, because that is a long time away. But I'd put the o/u at 2.5

Last edited:
What about 3 of them being Hawks? (assuming Fran is still there)

Jack seems like a lock, Iowa seems to be Koch's leader right now, and assuming his game progresses, Luke has pretty strong ties to the program too.

Not saying I'd be the farm, because that is a long time away. But I'd put the o/u at 2.5

Somerville no way

Somerville no way
Agree. not much to tie the kid other than his dad spent a hot minute at Iowa (possibly a net negative, although Marcellus liked Iowa enough at the time to at least go to IC), and his teammate.

But the other three all seem even odds or better, granted, a looonngg time out from signing day

E-hwe7zX0AUWNRZ

E-hwe7oXMAQBzIM

E-hwe7pXIAMcFrk

Reactions: perryhawk
Yep, very cruel and needless. I'm quite certain it was a game we had no chance of winning, either, just based upon it being Lick.
One of the many reasons to not like Lickliter. Senior Night. Meaningless game. And J.R. Angle doesn’t see the court.

Yep, very cruel and needless. I'm quite certain it was a game we had no chance of winning, either, just based upon it being Lick.

We won that game in double OT. Angle only played five games the whole season though, so I'd imagine he was not healthy most of the year. He did OK in spot minutes and a couple starts in Lick's first year, was hoping that would be sign of things to come.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Well, within limits. MANY bitched about the Murray twins but look how that turned out. But I agree, there are examples both ways. But when the feelings are mutual and positive, they are a good thing, even as walk-ons.
I cannot think of a bad legacy. . They’ve turned out very well. What’s a bad example?

We won that game in double OT. Angle only played five games the whole season though, so I'd imagine he was not healthy most of the year. He did OK in spot minutes and a couple starts in Lick's first year, was hoping that would be sign of things to come.
Angle was plenty healthy. Still a completely meaningless game. Did we finish 12th instead of 14th?

I cannot think of a bad legacit’s. They’ve turned out very well. What’s a bad example?
Well, Jordan's kids come to mind. And Acie Earl's kids weren't world beaters. Not bad kids, just not really D1. I am sure there are other examples both ways.

Me too, he was pretty good and would have contributed for sure. The rumor as I recall was he was unhappy of redshirting his freshman year and insisted on being guaranteed a starting position that next year and beyond. Alford refused so he left for Bradley.

And that is how stupid Alford was and is because you could see Somerville was a strong, really good player. I think he averaged 20+ pts a game for Bradley his Sr season and led them to a pretty good season.

As a coach yeah you maybe cant promise but you can say ' You are one of our top 3 players so you are going to get top 3 player minutes. You will highly probably start." Done

Well, Jordan's kids come to mind. And Acie Earl's kids weren't world beaters. Not bad kids, just not really D1. I am sure there are other examples both ways.
Im speaking of Iowa legacies. None of them played here.

He did not want to redshirt so Alford did it for him by never playing him. Imagine how much better the squad would be with Somerville taking Worley's minutes? Just another contaminated occurrence in Alford's toxic environment. For some reason got it in my head Somerville led the Valley in scoring, but could be wrong about that one.

He may not have led the Valley in scoring but I remember his senior season seeing his name pop up with 20+ point games. A big, powerful player and for some reason Alford just pulled one of his punk shit deals

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT