ADVERTISEMENT

Cover letters

Wahawk56

HR Legend
Aug 31, 2004
If you are someone who does some hiring, what's your thoughts on them?

This post was edited on 3/10 9:56 PM by Wahawk56

Apple-Cider-Daydreams-letters.jpg

I think I had one when I applied with the state. I didn't make one when I was told to apply for my current job.

What are you trying to do?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Always do one, and cater it towards the job you are applying to. Include specifically how you would be a great fit for the position and what interests you about the position.

It is better to have one and not need it, than to not have one and need it.

Originally posted by Wahawk56:
Swag,i really have no idea.

Well what are you interested in and what skills do you have? What about education or certifications, do you speak any second languages?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If the job announcement/ad asks for one, send one. Make sure it is well written, with proper spelling and grammar. Poor communication skills are an easy screen, and a poorly written cover letter normally equals failure. Also, if you use a form letter or template, make sure you change the name of the company or organization to the employer in question. Believe it or not, I have seen quite a few cover letters which still refer to another employer somewhere in the letter. Finally, keep it to one page or less, unless there is a specific question asked and you need to provide a lot of information to answer that question.

If the job announcement doesn't ask for one, use your judgment. Any job at a managerial or higher level probably deserves a cover letter, other jobs often do not.

Good luck.

I was asked to apply and interview for my last two jobs and I did not include a cover letter. I've never been offered a job that I applied and interview for that required a cover letter.

I've always asked for a cover letter, not because I'm going to read it, but because I want a candidate that can follow the rules.

Originally posted by iCRUNCH:
Always do one, and cater it towards the job you are applying to. Include specifically how you would be a great fit for the position and what interests you about the position.

I do hiring and agree with this statement. Make sure that it is job specific. I often read cover letters that are generic and it is easy to see that the candidate is mass applying to different jobs. Although that is not a strong negative factor it doesn't make a positive first impression.

I would recommend googling cover letter and the position. You can find some examples and take direction from them.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Originally posted by iCRUNCH:

I do hiring and agree with this statement. Make sure that it is job specific. I often read cover letters that are generic and it is easy to see that the candidate is mass applying to different jobs. Although that is not a strong negative factor it doesn't make a positive first impression.

I would recommend googling cover letter and the position. You can find some examples and take direction from them.
One clarification may be necessary. I hate it when cover letters litterally say "I would be great for [Job X] because..." Don't tell me why you would be great. I'll make that determination. You can tell me why you FEEL that you are qualified, but you aren't the person who gets to decide if you are right. This may be a pure semantic issue, but watch how you write these things. A cover letter won't get you a job, but it can get you eliminated from consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT