ADVERTISEMENT

Thousands of millionaires haven’t filed tax returns for years, IRS says

pjhawk

HR Legend
Oct 13, 2001
Why we need to adequately fund the IRS:

BUSINESS

Thousands of millionaires haven’t filed tax returns for years, IRS says​

About 125,000 notices will be sent to high-income earners, including 25,000 people with income more than $1 million, the tax agency said​

By Julie Zauzmer Weil
February 29, 2024 at 11:56 p.m. EST
Thousands of high-income earners have not filed tax returns for several years, but the cash-strapped Internal Revenue Service did nothing to get them to pay what they owe.
That changes now, the tax agency announced Thursday. The IRS will send notices to thousands of people who made more than $400,000 and did not file returns in at least one year from 2017 to 2022, the first step to collecting any tax owed.

About 25,000 cases involve people whose income is known to the agency to be above $1 million, IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel said. About 100,000 instances stem from people with income from $400,000 to $1 million, as reported to the IRS by their employers and banks.

Although the IRS will send out 125,000 notices, the actual number of taxpayers involved may be fewer, as many of them failed to file in multiple years.

If they don’t file within about two months of getting the letters, the IRS can take further action, including eventually filing a “substitute” tax return on the person’s behalf and then levying money from their paycheck or bank account to collect the taxes owed.
“When people don’t file their taxes, they need to know there’s a consequence,” Werfel said.
Failing to file one year can lead to a snowballing effect, a lawyer said. “They forget one year, and then the next year, they say, ‘Well, if I file now, I’ll get in trouble for the year before,’ … Pretty soon, 15 or 20 years later, they’re in a lot worse trouble,” said Rob Kovacev, a former Department of Justice attorney who said that more than 15 years ago, before IRS budget cuts, his docket was full of non-filer cases, some for very rich people.

As Congress slashed the IRS’s funding in the last decade, the agency’s shrinking staff did less to enforce tax compliance — including one of the most basic tasks, simply sending letters to people who fail to file their tax return. Werfel said the “non-filer program” last operated in 2016, with only sporadic attempts since then to contact non-filers.
He described that lapse as “one of the clearest examples of the need to have a properly funded IRS.” In 2022, Congress granted the agency an additional $80 billion over 10 years, though Republicans in Congress later clawed back $20 billion. The agency went on a hiring spree last year, which Werfel said gives the IRS enough workers to contact non-filers and process the returns once they’re filed, or pursue further action against those who don’t file.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...mc_magnet-tax-season-2024_inline_collection_1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...mc_magnet-tax-season-2024_inline_collection_2
Werfel said the returns represent hundreds of millions of dollars in unpaid taxes, on more than $100 billion of income.

Few of the 125,000 missing returns will lead to criminal tax evasion cases.
Thursday’s announcement reflects the Biden administration’s decision to focus tax-compliance efforts on high-income earners. The administration has said it will not increase audit rates for taxpayers who earn under $400,000 a year.
Eventually, the IRS said, it will send letters to non-filers at all income levels. The letters for people making less than $400,000 will focus on the fact that they might be missing out on a refund. More than 1 million households annually miss out on credits they can claim, such as the Earned Income Credit, because they didn’t file a tax return, the IRS said.

has anybody ever plain forgot to file taxes like these millionaires? sadly my answer is yes i forgot once. it was a very long time ago but i think i got a letter with a shitload of penalties. i called and they actually reduced (not waived) coz i’d never missed before.

Reactions: noleclone2
Remember: One party threatened to shut down the government and wreck the entire economy by ruining our national credit unless Biden reversed the hiring of additional tax agents to collect money owed by millionaires that was instead put on the national debt.

Again - Tax money owed by the rich and not paid is then added to the National Debt which YOU are then responsible for. Millionaires who refuse to pay are transferring their debts to YOU and YOUR CHILDREN.

Cutting and enabling avoidance of taxes by millionaires is ALWAYS priority #1 for Republicans:

Remember: Every dollar a millionaire can cheat out of paying, or gets cut from their taxes, is another dollar added to the debt YOU and your family owe..

Cutting and enabling avoidance of taxes by millionaires is ALWAYS priority #1 for Republicans:

Remember: Every dollar a millionaire can cheat out of paying, or gets cut from their taxes, is another dollar added to the debt YOU and your family owe..
I bet you think only conservatives are millionaires and cheat on their taxes.

I pay taxes as well and never felt it wasn't a "necessary evil".

But we all know which political Party has more millionaires as campaign donors.

Reactions: Tom Paris and Torg
Maybe they don’t owe and were trying to do the govt a favor? I kid, I kid.
I love this, and I hope anyone that owes is caught and pays what they owe. It will be interesting to see how they handle the lower income folks once they start going after everyone. Some of them are probably actually owed; but guessing many that will end up owning back taxes will not be able to pay it

• Haha
Reactions: Torg and Tom Paris
How the IRS didn’t make millionaire tax cheats the priority from the beginning just shows how incompetent and poorly run the department has been. Wtf have they been doing all these years? Still working from home due to the pandemic?

The incompetence of our government never ceases to amaze me regardless of who is in charge of it. Do your job and collect taxes from people that under pay or not at all. Those should be target number one and two.

Lol. The Democrat Party is the party of the rich now. Keep up.

Every single democrat who posts here has zero problems with any Democrat millionaire tax avoider being caught and made to pay it all back and then some. Zero ****s given for those aholes regardless of race, religion, gender or party.

How the IRS didn’t make millionaire tax cheats the priority from the beginning just shows how incompetent and poorly run the department has been. Wtf have they been doing all these years? Still working from home due to the pandemic?

The incompetence of our government never ceases to amaze me regardless of who is in charge of it. Do your job and collect taxes from people that under pay or not at all. Those should be target number one and two.
This. The 2-3 times I made some errors on my returns (in my favor) last 30 years they sure as hell found me and let me know what I really owed. I am sure I made another 2-3 in their favor they never contacted me for.

Add to that the huge number of large Corporations that pay little to no tax and is it any wonder that the debt is so high.
The government could confiscate every penny of every millionaire in the country and still not have enough to cover the annual budget. The debt is not a collection issue. It’s a spending issue.
The article posted is just another way the powers that be keep dividing us. They want you to blame those evil millionaires who aren’t “paying their fair share,” instead of the politicians who burn through other people’s money like a crack addict.
They want you to see the government as the solution to the problem and not the cause. The debt is out of control because the government is out of control. Making the government bigger isn’t the answer.

All our money should go to the government.....they can then send us each a small monthly stipend to live on. ;)

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
The government could confiscate every penny of every millionaire in the country and still not have enough to cover the annual budget. The debt is not a collection issue. It’s a spending issue.
The article posted is just another way the powers that be keep dividing us. They want you to blame those evil millionaires who aren’t “paying their fair share,” instead of the politicians who burn through other people’s money like a crack addict.
They want you to see the government as the solution to the problem and not the cause. The debt is out of control because the government is out of control. Making the government bigger isn’t the answer.

Not collecting tax that is owed is not the answer, either.

It is an endless battle. We need to stop spending. We can't tax enough to cover $1 trillion every 100 days.

While spending needs to be curbed, controlling the debt can not be cured by cutting spending alone, unless those cuts include medicare, Medicaid and social security, which comprise the majority of annual expenditures. Spending cuts and an overhaul of SS and Medicare are necessary to start trying to get a handle on the debt.

That said, those are two different issues
If you are not filing a tax return you are negatively impacting the debt, which should lead to collection efforts regardless if collection of the debt would help payoff the debt.

I’m tired of hearing “pay your fair share”. If it’s not right then fix it so people and corps pay the taxes they truly owe. Stop using it as a tag line with regard to elections and how it is going to help you get elected. So tired of this saying.

You left out the whole tax rates and loopholes part. It is a tax cut for rich and corporations thing too. They once paid far far more before the debt started taking off. You back to those tax rates in 50s and 60s and enforce more and the income issue is resolved…

You left out the whole tax rates and loopholes part. It is a tax cut for rich and corporations thing too. They once paid far far more before the debt started taking off. You back to those tax rates in 50s and 60s and enforce more and the income issue is resolved…
The tax rates are intentional and a result of lobbying and payoffs. We are all too eager to go after those buying influence in such matters but we ignore those who are selling it. We are told that big corporations are to blame for the corruption, not the elected officials entrusted with doing the will of the people. It takes two to tango. IMHO, influence sellers, not the buyers, should be the first on the chopping block. Yet somehow, even with approval numbers for Congress at an all time low, we will still reelect the incumbent upwards of 90% of the time. That has to change.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
I've never missed filing my taxes. I finished mine up in Turbo Tax a few weeks ago and I'll sit on it until April 15th. The IRS will get their $78 when I'm ready, not one day sooner. :cool:
You do know that you can file them with payment scheduled just before the 15th?

The tax rates are intentional and a result of lobbying and payoffs. We are all too eager to go after those buying influence in such matters but we ignore those who are selling it. We are told that big corporations are to blame for the corruption, not the elected officials entrusted with doing the will of the people. It takes two to tango. IMHO, influence sellers, not the buyers, should be the first on the chopping block. Yet somehow, even with approval numbers for Congress at an all time low, we will still reelect the incumbent upwards of 90% of the time. That has to change.
Exactly, never vote for republicans.

Reactions: noleclone2
This. The 2-3 times I made some errors on my returns (in my favor) last 30 years they sure as hell found me and let me know what I really owed. I am sure I made another 2-3 in their favor they never contacted me for.
My earlier post mentioned being contacted by the IRS for owing $18 in taxes on some stock options I sold. The same year I had like $100 in capital losses from an old brokerage account that I’d closed out. I didn’t receive the necessary forms from my old employer on the stock options nor from the brokerage account and figured the two amounts were so nominal and close to canceling each other out it wasn’t worth the hassle of hunting them down.

The IRS contacted me about the $18 I owed, but said nothing about the capital losses. After getting the notice I was “short”, I hunted down the forms, did the math and figured out they owed me about $5. I sent a letter with the forms and about 6 months later I received a paper check for like $4.78.

As they say, “good enough for government work!”

All that chatter about hiring 70k new irs agents from GOP looks dumb now as they will pay for themselves many times over just by chasing down the wealthy who fail to file.
70k agents making 70k per year is 4.9 billion dollars per year. They have to find that every year just to break even and that’s assuming the agents never get a raise. Maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT