ADVERTISEMENT

Covid and Iowa high school football.

Sorry . . . can't do it. Keep your eyes on the news. If I receive "tower clearance," I'll be happy to post it here.

2uxnv8.jpg

Reactions: MitchLL
It is unexpected. And, you’re not disappointed.
This news makes you very happy, and we all know it.
All I get from this is an "I told you so". I fully expect to not be watching my grandkids playing ball this winter. Either by a cancelled season or no spectators allowed. You saying I'm happy couldn't be farther from the truth.

All I get from this is an "I told you so". I fully expect to not be watching my grandkids playing ball this winter. Either by a cancelled season or no spectators allowed. You saying I'm happy couldn't be farther from the truth.

You gleefully report news like this whenever you possibly can. You enjoy it. That is clear.

You gleefully report news like this whenever you possibly can. You enjoy it. That is clear.
Nope. I just knew there were going to be some problems given the weak response from the Gov's office.

As I said, I fully expect to miss an entire winter of high school basketball for my two oldest GKs.

Nope. I just knew there were going to be some problems given the weak response from the Gov's office.

As I said, I fully expect to miss an entire winter of high school basketball for my two oldest GKs.

You aren’t really going to miss it. Your grandkids will miss it. A big part of their young lives.
And you will cheerfully come here to tell everyone about it.

You aren’t really going to miss it. Your grandkids will miss it. A big part of their young lives.
And you will cheerfully come here to tell everyone about it.
You're still wrong. I live to watch my grandkids and their activities.

But you're in a place where you can't bring yourself to admit I'm right. The Iowa Governor handled things poorly from Day One. Her proclamation that Iowans need to learn to live with Covid is a cowardly comment. And she's like you in some respects... unable to admit when you're wrong.

The number of high school teams that lost games this summer/fall would have been substantially higher if protocols were carried out in regards to reporting. You know it. I know it. Self reporting sympthoms was discouraged.

And while I attribute a sizeable share of positives and hospitalizations to political rallies, a percentage are probably due to athletic events, also.

The State of Iowa is in a bad place today. Considerably worse than at any other time since the start of the pandemic. I know I can't change your mind, but I sincerely tried to help.

Reactions: Tom Paris
But not unexpected!!!!!

This time, I'm disappointed to be right.
Football players attending a Halloween party knowing they're waist deep in the playoffs with the talent to run the table is pretty unexpected. (Not to mention, quite stupid and probably selfish)

Football players attending a Halloween party knowing they're waist deep in the playoffs with the talent to run the table is pretty unexpected. (Not to mention, quite stupid and probably selfish)
The Valley kids did that? There are multiple ways to catch the virus. So, it indeed, can be "not unexpected".

But we're dealing with kids that sometimes make dumb decisions. Doesn't change the end result.

High school.

Halloween on a Saturday Night.

Yep I’m going to the party. 10 out of 10 times.

Everyone is wearing masks.

Reactions: TJHall1
If what truly led up to the cancellation of the game were to come to light, certain people would be embarrassed and humiliated. And I’m not just referring to high school students.

Measures were put in place so that high school sports could proceed. Those measures assumed that people would act as they were supposed to act and be transparent, upfront and honest. Too bad it didn’t play out that way. Kids are paying the price ....

The Valley kids did that? There are multiple ways to catch the virus. So, it indeed, can be "not unexpected".

But we're dealing with kids that sometimes make dumb decisions. Doesn't change the end result.
Also doesn't mean we shouldn't have had a football season. No matter how many times you say it.

If what truly led up to the cancellation of the game were to come to light, certain people would be embarrassed and humiliated. And I’m not just referring to high school students.

Measures were put in place so that high school sports could proceed. Those measures assumed that people would act as they were supposed to act and be transparent, upfront and honest. Too bad it didn’t play out that way. Kids are paying the price ....
If you have info to share, share it. If not, stop acting like you know where to find the holy grail. You're wasting bandwidth and preventing anonymous people from arguing w/ other anonymous over things we have no control over, nor really matter in our daily lives.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
If you have info to share, share it. If not, stop acting like you know where to find the holy grail. You're wasting bandwidth and preventing anonymous people from arguing w/ other anonymous over things we have no control over, nor really matter in our daily lives.
I like the cut of your jib

Reactions: TJHall1
Some great games tonight. Regina wins a see-saw battle with Wapsie Valkey 32-27. Solon falls to Waukon. Pleasant Valley takes out IC West. Ankeny and Arland Bruce advance to the UNI Dome to face Dowling.

I wish that I knew where to find the holy grail.
If I was a newspaper reporter, I know exactly where I would start calling and digging. However, it's not my job. EDIT: It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where to look or where to direct your questions.

As for the "lecture," p--s off.

Have a good rest of your weekend.

UNI is playing football? Who knew.

Also, tickets should go to the schools participating first.

They are. The schools were provided a code to access groups of tickets. Just hope everyone who wants one, can get one.

They changed that policy less than 24 hours after the original announcement. The lack of focus and awarenesss is astounding.
My son and I are now not going because of this change. Figured there would be plenty of tickets, went in to purchase, it said sales suspended. When it resumed there were no tickets left.

My son and I are now not going because of this change. Figured there would be plenty of tickets, went in to purchase, it said sales suspended. When it resumed there were no tickets left.
The only reason the Gov's office didn't include the football playoffs in their original restrictions was the State wanted their $$$ from ticket sales since it's a bigger event. Then, they probably got negative feedback and had to cave to the present policy. The IHSAA is a money grabbing entity, they just got pushback and had to pull back.

I'm sorry you and your son will miss the event.

The only reason the Gov's office didn't include the football playoffs in their original restrictions was the State wanted their $$$ from ticket sales since it's a bigger event. Then, they probably got negative feedback and had to cave to the present policy. The IHSAA is a money grabbing entity, they just got pushback and had to pull back.

I'm sorry you and your son will miss the event.
Yeah, I understand all that and it's not a big deal in the big picture but just disappointed.

They should broadcast these games for free online since attendance will be so restricted.
They will sell all the available tickets anyway, so put the game online for free.
Not sure what they plan to do with the broadcast.

They should broadcast these games for free online since attendance will be so restricted.
They will sell all the available tickets anyway, so put the game online for free.

I'm OK with streaming these games, but why free?..

I'm OK with streaming these games, but why free?..

Because people couldn't go even if they wanted to, through no fault of their own.
With the pandemic surging, offering the game for free online offers a safe and responsible way to allow people to watch the game. Which gets more eyes on the games and is good overall for the IHSAA.

Because people couldn't go even if they wanted to, through no fault of their own.
With the pandemic surging, offering the game for free online offers a safe and responsible way to allow people to watch the game. Which gets more eyes on the games and is good overall for the IHSAA.

So, steaming the game for the cost of a ticket also " offers a safe and responsible way to allow people to watch the game",... I don't understand why it needs to be free,.. especially since "free" always costs somebody something.

Well, I don't know, but it appears to be free. So, you can let them know if you are upset.

They've done this for several years - semis & finals

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT