ADVERTISEMENT

Credit card limit

HawkMachine

HR Heisman
Jul 6, 2020
IOWA
What's the highest limit you have on a card?

We put everything on a card for points but have never purchased anything really BIG on it.

Ran into a problem last night buying something BIG.

Highest is $15k. Thought about calling the credit card co. to raise but chose to just send a wire.

What do you have?

$20K? Something like that. Multiple cards with different limits for different uses, all set up on autopay-the-entire-balance. I assume you were going to charge it for the points and then pay off the card.

Not a brag - just an excellent credit rating because we pay everything off.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
What's the highest limit you have on a card?

We put everything on a card for points but have never purchased anything really BIG on it.

Ran into a problem last night buying something BIG.

Highest is $15k. Thought about calling the credit card co. to raise but chose to just send a wire.

What do you have?

Not really sure - $35-40K? Maybe $69K?

I have no limit on my American Express per say. They base what I can spend off of credit history, debt to income, and spending history. You can check online if a transaction will go through before swiping your card. I put 80k in once and it was approved.

Last edited:
$20k.

I honestly don't remember ever putting any single purchase over $1k on it other than paying an auto or home service bill that I didn't paid off in a week or so.

Hell, I can't remember the last time I've had an ending month balance/interest charges. Maybe a decade at least.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Limit charged is not the question. The question is what you can charge and pay it off within the time limit.

Build your credit rating

Combined six figures. No more than $30k on one.

occasional business partner uses the big one exclusively. When we flip a house or apartment building he’ll max it out a few times in one billing cycle. He pays the bill (and interest if it’s due), I collect the points.

at last check I had $23k of plane trips courtesy of that arrangement. We did pebble beach a few years ago and I paid all travel and hotel for both of us out of those points.

Honest question I've never understood, unless you're one of those people that always carries a balance because you can't afford your lifestyle, what large purchases can you even put on a credit card that you need to put on a credit card?

When Jimmy is told he is terminally ill, he'll go off the wheels and spend stupid money that makes the HROT wealthy blemish (Gasser), and then die laughing at those that bragged about having money.

Then, and only then Walter will scatter my ashes on a place of HROT choice,

I think ours is $32k. We use our cc’s for everything that we can and pay off weekly/monthly. It’s why we haven’t paid for a hotel room in 5+ years with 200+ nights including trips internationally. Has really helped build credit and obtain low interest rates especially mortgage.

Keep it at double or triple your monthly average. There's really no need to keep it high. I've actually requested it be lowered before, knowing I'd never use near that amount.

I never spend more than I want to pay the following month though. I suppose if you carry a balance like a poor then you'd want it as high as you can make it.

Keep it at double or triple your monthly average. There's really no need to keep it high. I've actually requested it be lowered before, knowing I'd never use near that amount.

I never spend more than I want to pay the following month though. I suppose if you carry a balance like a poor then you'd want it as high as you can make it.
Yeah those 20%+ apr cards really help those making low wages.

Honest question I've never understood, unless you're one of those people that always carries a balance because you can't afford your lifestyle, what large purchases can you even put on a credit card that you need to put on a credit card?

Launch monitor for golf. :)

I don't think we will ever buy something that big on a credit card again.

I think it's 25K on a card we got while I was in school or residency. Based on the number of emails and credit card applications I get, I'm sure I could get it higher if I wanted. But I have no need for that.

Strange story that just happened to me a few months ago.

I have had a Discover for years and wanted to switch the rewards program I was on. I thought should be easy...probably dont even have to switch card numbers right.

Turns out that I had to get a totally different card and that didnt carry over my 20K credit limit I had on the old card. Found out when I went to buy something that was like 3500 and it wouldn't go through because for some reason my limit was reset to 3k!

example for me:

bought new furniture for my dad. Set me back $15k. I don’t carry that kind of cash, they don’t take personal checks. I def am not taking financing from a store. What choice did I have?

My nephew went to American University in DC - double major international relations and something businessy. His parents charged it every year for 5 years and paid it off as they went.

He's been a stay-at-home dad his entire adult life.

His parents did get to travel a lot on the points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT