ADVERTISEMENT

Visa Gift Card scam...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
So, I have this Visa gift card that has $20 left on it. If I try to charge exactly $20, the card gets declined. It's almost like Visa wants you to use ALMOST all of the money, and leave a little bit because it's IMPOSSIBLE to use the entire amount?

I wonder how much money these credit card companies make on unused gift card balances?

Anyone know a way around this stupid problem? Visa didn't give me this money. Someone else did. But Visa makes it impossible to spend it all.

So, I have this Visa gift card that has $20 left on it. If I try to charge exactly $20, the card gets declined. It's almost like Visa wants you to use ALMOST all of the money, and leave a little bit because it's IMPOSSIBLE to use the entire amount?

I wonder how much money these credit card companies make on unused gift card balances?

Anyone know a way around this stupid problem? Visa didn't give me this money. Someone else did. But Visa makes it impossible to spend it all.
I've never had this problem.

No, I'm not a poor.

No, I'm not a poor.

Clue: Rich people got rich by not throwing away their money. Someone gave me this money and I don't want to just let Visa have whatever they force me to leave on the card.

Online, it says there's $20 on the card.

But it's been declined at Walmart, the gas station, Amazon, Etsy....

If I try to charge something less than $20, it'll approve that. But not the full balance.

Clue: Rich people got rich by not throwing away their money. Someone gave me this money and I don't want to just let Visa have whatever they force me to leave on the card.

Online, it says there's $20 on the card.

But it's been declined at Walmart, the gas station, Amazon, Etsy....

If I try to charge something less than $20, it'll approve that. But not the full balance.
So, your solution is to throw a hissy fit on the internet and let Visa have the money?

I have never experience this problem and I use gift cards all the time. Just use the final $20 to purchase something more than $20. Your card will be exhausted and you then complete the purchase with another form of payment. I have done this at least two dozen times without issue.

I have never experience this problem and I use gift cards all the time. Just use the final $20 to purchase something more than $20. Your card will be exhausted and you then complete the purchase with another form of payment. I have done this at least two dozen times without issue.

I've done that many times, too.

But it won't work with this card.

Have you ever seen the movie, "Office Space"?

Those fractions of a penny add up!

2ffab980-7c29-49f8-9b22-adebd8e9fa6f_text.gif

Maybe they watched Superman 3 and got a Gus type idea.

Me either. My guess is bogus gift card.

It let me spend the first $80...

Funny story about that. Mrs. Tradition (no pics) and I went out to dinner and the tab plus tip was almost exactly $100. So I threw down this gift card expecting it to take care of the check.

Well, it didn't. The card only approved $80 so I had to throw the waiter a $20 bill to settle the tab.

Since then, I can't get ANYONE to take the final $20 unless I'm spending something less than that. It's maddening!

Some cards, american express comes to mind, won't let you do exactly this. They will even tell you it.

• Angry
Reactions: The Tradition
Try buying an Amazon gift card
Yes, give this a try. It's not often, but whenever I get one of those rebate credit cards, I just use it to buy an Amazon e-gift card for myself. It's worked fine in the handful of times and you can specify about any amount.

Seems to be a Florida man problem

It let me spend the first $80...

Funny story about that. Mrs. Tradition (no pics) and I went out to dinner and the tab plus tip was almost exactly $100. So I threw down this gift card expecting it to take care of the check.

Well, it didn't. The card only approved $80 so I had to throw the waiter a $20 bill to settle the tab.

Since then, I can't get ANYONE to take the final $20 unless I'm spending something less than that. It's maddening!

Is it possible there was some amount removed from the total balance due to a fee or time lapse triggering a fee?

Some gift cards issued have a feature that has an annual fee component to close out the balance if it is lost or forgotten about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT