ADVERTISEMENT

Crybabies will complain but we are a different team w/o CJ Fred

vacuum_cleaner

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
We are a top 5 team in nation with CJ, maybe top 10 at worst...and a top 25 team without him.

Connor and Murray aren't threats from 3. Not having a 3rd 3 point shooter to space the floor for Garza just kills our offense. Easier to double Garza and force him to pass to perimeter to someone who isn't a threat from 3. The offense just stagnates from there.

Look at how many open looks Connor/Murray had in the past few games...either missed 3s or wide open shots they didn't shoot. There have been a ton. If CJ's the one getting those looks, he's firing away every time and making 75% of open 3s.

BTW I love both Connor and Murray. Connor's passing and D is so underrated. Murray is going to be something special. But the way this team clicks is...feed the ball to Garza and have him kick it out to a 3 pt shooter if he's doubled. If we're missing our best/2nd best 3 point shooter, it affects our entire offense.

Once Cj's back, we'll be fine. So quit whining.

We are a top 5 team in nation with CJ, maybe top 10 at worst...and a top 25 team without him.

Connor and Murray aren't threats from 3. Not having a 3rd 3 point shooter to space the floor for Garza just kills our offense. Easier to double Garza and force him to pass to perimeter to someone who isn't a threat from 3. The offense just stagnates from there.

Look at how many open looks Connor/Murray had in the past few games...either missed 3s or wide open shots they didn't shoot. There have been a ton. If CJ's the one getting those looks, he's firing away every time and making 75% of open 3s.

BTW I love both Connor and Murray. Connor's passing and D is so underrated. Murray is going to be something special. But the way this team clicks is...feed the ball to Garza and have him kick it out to a 3 pt shooter if he's doubled. If we're missing our best/2nd best 3 point shooter, it affects our entire offense.

Connor shouldn’t get significant minutes on a top 25 team. Awful defender, slow, can’t shoot. His dad’s the coach so he gets to play.

We will never ever be a legit top 5 team because we don’t play defense. End of story.
Agreed. I think we can get to the Sweet 16 this year (it will be a fight to do so), but further than that? Nope. And i'm not trying to dog on the team, I just feel realistically thats what this team is. Once we play a team with a pulse, everything comes crashing down

Agree with OP. CJ brings an element to the court that makes teams guard you in a different way and gives Garza room to operate. We will never be a defensive team under Fran- period. Our hope is to outscore teams which we can with CJ in the lineup

Iowa scored 85 points last night. Defense was the problem last night. If CJ coming back means less playing time for Connor and Jbo you may have a point but it doesn't mean that at all. CJ would have taken minutes from Nunge and Keegan last night. That doesn't solve the defensive problems we saw last night.

Missing CJ now wrecks our possibilities in the Big Ten but if he can get back on the floor in a few weeks we could still play some good tournament ball...

Reactions: Hawksfinal4

CJ is a huge loss, correct. His defense is underrated.

Connor's? Please.

Reactions: lesterfan
Iowa scored 85 points last night. Defense was the problem last night. If CJ coming back means less playing time for Connor and Jbo you may have a point but it doesn't mean that at all. CJ would have taken minutes from Nunge and Keegan last night. That doesn't solve the defensive problems we saw last night.

Correct.

Reactions: lesterfan
CJ is a huge loss, correct. His defense is underrated.

Connor's? Please.
Actually... Connor is probably one of our more diverse defenders... dependig on the line up he can find him self guarding 1-4. I take no issue with him. Jordan has been a turnstile. His 18 pts were great last night. But his defense... woof. And if we are missing CJ and it puts more pressure on the offense... dont help the opposing defense by camping on the 3 pt line... get some fvckin speed in there and move that ball.

I don't think players are lazy / not giving maximum effort, they are just overmatched athletically. When you can't play man you have to resort to a lot of zone / freak defenses in hopes of stealing a few possessions a game by confusing the offense. In addition, you need near flawless execution on offense because you lack dribble drive threats. It makes Iowa's margin for error much smaller than teams like IL, OSU and IU who basically go with the rec league approach of drive to break the D down and shoot or kick and crash the boards. Hard to keep your rotations intact when you have guys getting beat, helping and scrambling to get out on open shooters.

It's a contrast in styles and Fran apparently thinks he has the right guys to play his style, but once again, it's not faring too well against the rec league styles with better athletes.

CJ had been in a scoring slump before he went out with injury. While waiting for CJ to get healthy, if Fran is able to come up with a lineup that can win 70-80% of the remaining B1G games without CJ, then we are sitting pretty good for BTT and NCAA. If this current team ends up only winning 50% of its remaining games, I don't think addition of CJ is going to be enough. Adding CJ doesn't address the defense.

I think opponents are shooting around 40% from 3pt line on high volume these last few games. Iowa is last in B1G in 3pt shooting% defense.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Actually... Connor is probably one of our more diverse defenders... dependig on the line up he can find him self guarding 1-4. I take no issue with him. Jordan has been a turnstile. His 18 pts were great last night. But his defense... woof. And if we are missing CJ and it puts more pressure on the offense... dont help the opposing defense by camping on the 3 pt line... get some fvckin speed in there and move that ball.

I don't agree that Connor's defense is underrated. I agree he does a lot of the intangibles well that don't show up in the box score. I do not, however, believe he should be the starting point guard or forward. He's late on defensive rotations that leave three-point shooters wide open and he gives you nothing offensively outside of being good at feeding the post.

When CJ is healthy and playing, Connor's offensive limitations are less problematic. Without CJ, though, Connor's offensive deficiencies become more magnified. It's also a problem, in my view, that he shoots 58% from the foul line.

Would Iowa's defense improve with Fredrick? I don't think so.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
I don't agree that Connor's defense is underrated. I agree he does a lot of the intangibles well that don't show up in the box score. I do not, however, believe he should be the starting point guard or forward. He's late on defensive rotations that leave three-point shooters wide open and he gives you nothing offensively outside of being good at feeding the post.

When CJ is healthy and playing, Connor's offensive limitations are less problematic. Without CJ, though, Connor's offensive deficiencies become more magnified. It's also a problem, in my view, that he shoots 58% from the foul line.
Coaches sons should not be sub 60% free throw shooters ever, That is brutal.

This. The problem is we haven't replaced what CJ brings to the table.

1)defense---any of Joe T, Perkins, Ulis

2) offense--- we may not have the shooter but we don't know because we haven't seen enough of Perkins or Ulis. But even if the shooting can't be replaced, the penetration, passing, ball handling,
getting to the hoop abilities of Perkins/Ulis can both replace the points from CF and provide
the distraction to the defense to better free up Garza, Weis, and Bo

Reactions: CAhawki
This. The problem is we haven't replaced what CJ brings to the table.

1)defense---any of Joe T, Perkins, Ulis

2) offense--- we may not have the shooter but we don't know because we haven't seen enough of Perkins or Ulis. But even if the shooting can't be replaced, the penetration, passing, ball handling,
getting to the hoop abilities of Perkins/Ulis can both replace the points from CF and provide
the distraction to the defense to better free up Garza, Weis, and Bo
And offensively... you are only talking about 9 pts a game... thats three points from 3 replacements... sure he is that deep threat, but make them respect you in another form...

Nunge was an amazing 4-7 from 3 tonight and basically replaced CJ's production. This team needs to force more 2pt attempts on defense and make more free throws. Garza and Connor were 3-7 (effectively 3-8 due to front end miss) at the line today. At home.

Meanwhile, Ohio State has some guy on their roster who is 50-52 on the year.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
A top 5 team with CJ? I take whatever some people on here are smoking!! We have top five talent with subpar coaching! Connor would not start for any team in the top 100! He is playing the 4 when CJ is not in and gets worked like a part time job! He is a liability and always has been. JBo can not defend and struggles getting his shot off....so he has to shoot from half court most times to get an open shot. He should play off guard and run screens to get him better shots. JT needs to be at the point more. What a smack in the face putting the guys in the game at the last minute who won your last game for you! You will not win a championship of any kind if you can't play defense...Fran obviously cannot coach defense. You could write a novel on the woes of this coaching staff and the blind loyalty. It will cost them in the long run! This should be the end of Fran....no excuses this year! Your coaching ability or lack of is being exposed!

This team still wouldn't play defense with CJ. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe Iowa wins last night if they don't leave 3 point shooters wide open all over the place.

The offense is not the issue.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
2 years in a row where losing CJ caused a slide. Besides Garza, he is without a doubt the most difficult to replace. I hope he is able to come back this year because he would really provide the boost Iowa needs to get them through the NCAA tournament.

A top 5 team with CJ? I take whatever some people on here are smoking!! We have top five talent with subpar coaching! Connor would not start for any team in the top 100! He is playing the 4 when CJ is not in and gets worked like a part time job! He is a liability and always has been. JBo can not defend and struggles getting his shot off....so he has to shoot from half court most times to get an open shot. He should play off guard and run screens to get him better shots. JT needs to be at the point more. What a smack in the face putting the guys in the game at the last minute who won your last game for you! You will not win a championship of any kind if you can't play defense...Fran obviously cannot coach defense. You could write a novel on the woes of this coaching staff and the blind loyalty. It will cost them in the long run! This should be the end of Fran....no excuses this year! Your coaching ability or lack of is being exposed!
There's a lot of truth in this post. Until Fran puts an emphasis (or learns) how to coach D...hawks will never be at the level we were hoping this year. I admit...I bought into the hype...but realization for me hit after the indiana/minny games. Now hoping for a decent seed (5 at worst)

I guess we just need to hope hawks can put up 90+ every night ...bc that is what it will take considering how awful the starting defense is. Definitely having CJ will help with those numbers. At this point offense is all this team has...so i agree with posters having CJ will help

Still can't believe Fran didn't play JT and Perkins more in 2nd half especially after up 11. Just awful

Yeah that is head scratching to me. There aren't even any fans to distract him.

CMac isn't even the best McCaffrey on the floor.

I do think Iowa is much better off with a healthy (or at least serviceable) CJF, but Iowa also gave up 200+ combined points to Minny and the Zags *with* him. Any improvement defensively with CJF on the floor would either be marginal, or coincidental.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp

Connor was awful in the zone last night. Much worse than JBO.

Nunge was even worse and JW was bad too.

Fran has to get rid of that matchup zone.

Get the better defenders in and play man. If Luka gets fouls so be it. Nunge is not a huge drop off.

...teams like IL, OSU and IU who basically go with the rec league approach of drive to break the D down and shoot or kick and crash the boards. Hard to keep your rotations intact when you have guys getting beat, helping and scrambling to get out on open shooters.

It's a contrast in styles and Fran apparently thinks he has the right guys to play his style, but once again, it's not faring too well against the rec league styles with better athletes.

You don't think the OSU team was well coached, or even the Indiana team from a couple of games ago? Why call them rec league style? Taking advantage of matchups is good coaching, not the lack of it. It wasn't just like they free lanced which is what I think of with Rec league. It was clear coming out of the locker room in the second half, Ohio State was focused on attacking the basket. That more aggressive style drew more fouls on Iowa, much like Aaron White would do when he lowered his head and went to the bucket as FTs were a large part of his scoring average.

For the most part of the game, Iowa isn't really a slashing type team. Joe W does at times, as can Joe T, Keegan and PMac, but that is such a small percentage of the buckets. More of the slashing is done off ball cutting to the lane for the pass or put back than done with the ball. I saw Jordan actually do that once last night and he scored a layup, but that clearly isn't the strength of his game consistently. Even in a game that is not as tightly called, the team that is more aggressive going to the hoop normally draws more fouls.

Last edited:
You don't think the OSU team was well coached, or even the Indiana team from a couple of games ago? Why call them rec league style? Taking advantage of matchups is good coaching, not the lack of it. It wasn't just like they free lanced which is what I think of with Rec league. It was clear coming out of the locker room in the second half, Ohio State was focused on attacking the basket. That more aggressive style drew more fouls on Iowa, much like Aaron White would do when he lowered his head and went to the bucket as FTs were a large part of his scoring average.

For the most part of the game, Iowa isn't really a slashing type team. Joe W does at times, as can Joe T, Keegan and PMac, but that is such a small percentage of the buckets. More of the slashing is done off ball cutting to the lane for the pass or put back than done with the ball. I saw Jordan actually do that once last night and he scored a layup, but that clearly isn't the strength of his game consistently. Even in a game that is not as tightly called, the team that is more aggressive going to the hoop normally draws more fouls.

My point is that Iowa is not losing to teams running elaborate offenses. I think OSU is a really good team and much better coached than Iowa. Under 5 minutes it's more of guys making plays i.e. rec league than it is running sets. Iowa can't hang with teams who have better slashers / drivers because they can't guard them. On the other end Iowa is lucky to get shots up under 5:00 minutes because teams get up into the guards because they can't get separation. Like Joe T. or not, he can get separation. Iowa had I believe 1 field goal in the final 4:16 and it was clear multiple guys were totally gassed, thus a step late to a lot of loose balls.

You realize without the reserves Iowa is 0-4 vs. 1-3. The ability to freelance and make plays outside of the offense is totally lost on Fran which is why I don't see Iowa winning any close games.

CJ had been in a scoring slump before he went out with injury. While waiting for CJ to get healthy, if Fran is able to come up with a lineup that can win 70-80% of the remaining B1G games without CJ, then we are sitting pretty good for BTT and NCAA. If this current team ends up only winning 50% of its remaining games, I don't think addition of CJ is going to be enough. Adding CJ doesn't address the defense.

I think opponents are shooting around 40% from 3pt line on high volume these last few games. Iowa is last in B1G in 3pt shooting% defense.
I think part of the issue is CJ gets hurt and Fran moves Connor to guard and brings in a forward for Connors spot, why not keep the first 4 the same and replace CJ with another guard so we are only moving 1 piece instead of 2?
then you can almost keep you rrotation the same after that, so if JT moves to start Uhlis gets the minutes when JT comes out,
Hawks have had stretches where the defense plays well but for the most part the top of the zone with JBO, Weezy and Connor are pretty bad...

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT