ADVERTISEMENT

Curious Question Regarding WR Leaving

Hawk Writer

All-Conference
Feb 6, 2012
Does anyone think that these outgoing WR’s knew of the addition of McNamara on the way out? I figure they voiced their displeasure weeks ago and were unaware of what was behind door #2 upon announced departure maybe?

I think players are entering the portal to see what kind of money they can get by looking elsewhere. They get an offer, come back to their initial school and tell them they will stay if they match the offer.

Who knows if Bruce and Johnson are doing it for that reason or want to leave for greener pasture. They could be upset they aren’t getting the offers the new players will get coming from the portal. Butt hurt shall we say.

I say clean house. The only two players from the current offensive roster that we need to retain:

-Kaleb Johnson
-Luke Lachey
I think we need 2 running backs and LeshonW played well this year. We need two tight ends maybe three so those backups need to stay and develop their games.

but you are correct the OLine and WRs either need to really get a lot better or need people to beat them out via the portal or through hard work and recruiting

- L Williams and K Johnson at RB
- Lachey and Ostrenga at TE
- Brecht, Vines, and young/portal guys at WR
- Improved/older OL - hopefully including Proctor

I think there’s reason for optimism on offense if the OL indeed improves and McNamara is the leader we hope he will be!

No one except grad transfers are actually in the portal yet…
Correct, but they’ve announced plans.…but they’re still students and still need to successfully pass courses and complete finals in order to maintain academic eligibility, so nobody is leaving campus until all that’s done.

Correct, but they’ve announced plans.…but they’re still students and still need to successfully pass courses and complete finals in order to maintain academic eligibility, so nobody is leaving campus until all that’s done.

I’m more interested in what happens if someone changes their minds.

They technically did not forfeit their scholarship until they enter the portal.

The B1G guarantees a scholarship for 4 years.

What happens if they change their mind, and the coaches say no thanks.

Could be interesting.

I’m more interested in what happens if someone changes their minds.

They technically did not forfeit their scholarship until they enter the portal.

The B1G guarantees a scholarship for 4 years.

What happens if they change their mind, and the coaches say no thanks.

Could be interesting.
Unless the player basically set the furniture on fire on the way out the door, I don’t think there would be many issues. This is assuming a mature approach - tell the coaches before you hit Twitter, have an honest dialogue with them at key points, etc.

Why? His decision?
Either
A) The receivers are leaving because their coach is not developing them. KF would hear about this in their exit interview and consider a change.

B) The receivers don't like their coach for some reason we don't know. Again, KF would hear about it in their exit interview.

C) Copeland is as disgruntled as his receivers and wants to leave.

D) Copeland hates this offensive scheme and has been verbal about it all season and KF is done listening and decides he needs to move along.

All of these seem plausible.

I'll ask you this so you can ask yourself a very serious question - Does it matter who the QB is?
What? LOL. Of course who plays QB matters. This is self-evident: a very talented QB playing in a conservative offense is a decidedly better option over a lousy QB playing in a conservative offense.

Assume for the sake of argument that nothing at all changes in Iowa's offensive philosophy or schemes next season. Would Cade McNamara or Max Dugan be a better option to increase production than Alex Padilla or Artur Sitkowski? You asked a silly question.

I say clean house. The only two players from the current offensive roster that we need to retain:

-Kaleb Johnson
-Luke Lachey
I agree. Clean house and bring in a couple of wide receivers to complement McNamara. I believe Alabama has a couple of wideouts who have entered the portal. If we could only get one of them.

Either
A) The receivers are leaving because their coach is not developing them. KF would hear about this in their exit interview and consider a change.

B) The receivers don't like their coach for some reason we don't know. Again, KF would hear about it in their exit interview.

C) Copeland is as disgruntled as his receivers and wants to leave.

D) Copeland hates this offensive scheme and has been verbal about it all season and KF is done listening and decides he needs to move along.

All of these seem plausible.
It could be because Ferentz was not happy with his comments about how difficult it is to get wr's to come to Iowa. Not sure you can have a coach on your staff make those types of comments, true or not. Opposing coaches will use that all the time on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: F5n5
We can't win with a bunch of Wick's at WR. No disrespect to the kid he tries hard and did his best with opportunities, but we need 4 and 5 * WR to stretch the field.

What? LOL. Of course who plays QB matters. This is self-evident: a very talented QB playing in a conservative offense is a decidedly better option over a lousy QB playing in a conservative offense.

Assume for the sake of argument that nothing at all changes in Iowa's offensive philosophy or schemes next season. Would Cade McNamara or Max Dugan be a better option to increase production than Alex Padilla or Artur Sitkowski? You asked a silly question.
The question was about if the WR's knew about CMcN coming in. My point is maybe they are leaving for other reasons, not necessarily in regard to who or who isn't the QB, what the scheme is, philosophy, etc. Maybe they are leaving for a myriad reason not related to the QB.

It could be because Ferentz was not happy with his comments about how difficult it is to get wr's to come to Iowa. Not sure you can have a coach on your staff make those types of comments, true or not. Opposing coaches will use that all the time on the recruiting trail.
I didn't have a problem with what he said exactly, because it's true and it's obvious. He wasn't giving anything away.

But I did have a problem with what is also true, that he didn't say. If the WRs want more targets, they need to be the best option.

When we've had good WRs and a good QB, we've thrown to them.* I wouldn't expect a coach to say this part; no need to question the players. But it's fair to say that the TEs are our best option right now and that's why they are getting the most targets.

*We threw to WRs a ton in Nate Stanley's last year, for example - because we had two borderline NFL receivers and a handful of guys with the talent to be good 2nd/3rd WRs at the college level (Ragaini, Tracy, etc).

Does anyone think that these outgoing WR’s knew of the addition of McNamara on the way out? I figure they voiced their displeasure weeks ago and were unaware of what was behind door #2 upon announced departure maybe?
Probably realize that as long as KF and BF are here it wouldn’t matter if we had Bryce Young at QB, they’re not going to get touches.

The question was about if the WR's knew about CMcN coming in. My point is maybe they are leaving for other reasons, not necessarily in regard to who or who isn't the QB, what the scheme is, philosophy, etc. Maybe they are leaving for a myriad reason not related to the QB.
OK I see what you're saying.

I'll ask you this so you can ask yourself a very serious question - Does it matter who the QB is?
Of course it matters. This offense had a ton of issues this year and one of them was the lack of talent at most important position in the game which they addressed. Now they need to fix the problems at WR and Oline. They can do a lot of that with the portal and keeping Proctor. The remaining concern is coaching at the oline and OC positions.

Doesn’t matter, it appears we are trying to replace potential with better period! Now if we strike out??? Maybe a different story, but either your in or your out and that has always been my feeling!

I’ve never lamented a recruiting miss or a player heading out! Ever!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT