ADVERTISEMENT

D Line Must be really good -

Herkey Ohio

Scout Team
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2018
The D line must be really good -

Has anybody heard how Llewellyn and Bowie are doing?
I was pretty high on them when they were recruited but have not heard much about them.
Any Updates?

48Max Llewellyn

6'5" | 230 LBS | WDE​

URBANDALE

URBANDALE, IA

DL 6-5 243 #Fr. Urbandale, IA Urbandale

86Jeff Bowie
6'5" | 242 LBH

WEST BRANCH, IA

DL 6-5 270 #Fr. West Branch, IA West Branch

Don't mean to knock him, but I'm surprised how solidly he is entrenched in the lineup compared to the contribution he seems to make. Am I missing something?
I'm a big fan of Hurkett, hopefully he can push him. It's possible he would have passed him up last year had he not had the injury.

Thank god we have some posters set the coaches straight when they pick who the starters are. Loyalty, favoritism, seniority, modern America ( whatever that is🤣) listed as reasons why decisions are made. No mention of staff evaluation after many, many hours of practice and game film.

Maybe the staff knows more than you do?

Nah!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😍

JW is a solid player. I would say his fundamentals are very good and he doesn’t make many mistakes. Maybe he doesn’t have stars but there is a reason KB and PP keep him in lineup and it’s Not seniority or favortism
Wags was a 4-star recruit with great offers - MI, OH State, OR, UCLA, OK, and FL to name a few. His commitment was a recruiting coup.

Waggoner is a space eater and holds the line. Iowa likes their DL to hold the trenches like a viking shield wall where nothing gets past and they slowly crush you. They then have a couple beserkers that smash through the opposing line and destroy the backfield.

Waggoner is a space eater and holds the line. Iowa likes their DL to hold the trenches like a viking shield wall where nothing gets past and they slowly crush you. They then have a couple beserkers that smash through the opposing line and destroy the backfield.
Sometimes the best d tackles have little to show in their stat lines. I'd take a guy who can eat up double teams and not allow anyone to get second level over someone who knifes in for the occasional sack but also gets pancaked in the run game.

Sometimes the best d tackles have little to show in their stat lines. I'd take a guy who can eat up double teams and not allow anyone to get second level over someone who knifes in for the occasional sack but also gets pancaked in the run game.
Wags is a DE, not a tackle. He might slide inside once in a while but he really knows how to hold the edge and direct traffic inside where the tackles can swallow up the runner. That or collapse the pocket.

Thank god we have some posters set the coaches straight when they pick who the starters are. Loyalty, favoritism, seniority, modern America ( whatever that is🤣) listed as reasons why decisions are made. No mention of staff evaluation after many, many hours of practice and game film.

Nah!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😍
clearly you are just hating because coors doesn't brew his own beer!

-----if you can't figure out my comment about "modern america" and the doyle situation, then I probably can't help you there ;)

Reactions: tallyhawkster
bruh, stats are all that matters, don't you know????

While deep, I don't think we know yet that the D-line is gonna be really good.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but just don't think it really holds a candle to, for example, a line that had Clayborn, Daniels, Klug, Ballard, and Binns.

Reactions: cleotishaywood

Nah!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😍
That’s total Bullshit the board internet knows alllllllll

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
While deep, I don't think we know yet that the D-line is gonna be really good.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but just don't think it really holds a candle to, for example, a line that had Clayborn, Daniels, Klug, Ballard, and Binns.
You make a good point. We have a lot of good players and depth on the DL, but for this to be a great D-line a couple guys will need to take their game to a higher level. I think there are several guys capable of doing so. Go Hawks !

Reactions: kceasthawk
Who will be the best running backs they will face this season?
Off the top of my head I'd say the 3 best running offenses Iowa will face is OH State, WI, and MI. Not sure which will be best because they all have offensive lines that have new starters but all 3 are in reload mode so they will probably be good.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT