ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Objective Post Game Analysis: Penn State

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
The entire nation paid witness to the virus ailing the Hawkeyes since Kirk placed his meat head son in charge of both play calling and QB coaching. Disaster. A 31-0 blowout loss and the score doesn't even reflect the amount of randying around on the field. Where do we go from here?

1. Iowa's Transfer Portal Recruiting Was a HUGE Bust. Iowa's attempt to salvage Brian's career through portal recruiting has been a failure. The headliner is the Big 10's 13th rated QB. My NIL donations well spent. 1st round draft pick LaPorta was replaced by Michigan backup Eric All. Sadly, All is a shell of what he once was. He has as many fumbles, fall downs, and missed blocks as he has catches. Next, Iowa lost its two 4 star WRs to the portal. In their place, a D3 WR and a kid from Ohio State. Combined, they've managed just 4 receptions in 4 games. More NIL well spent. Then there's the OL. Iowa had the Big 10's worst OL last year. Rather than bringing in Power 5 transfers, Iowa landed a couple of slow footed small schoolers. Since neither can even crack Iowa's lineup, neither has any business receiving Power 5 football scholarships. On D, the staff tried hard to bring in a last second CB. They failed. We are seeing the results on the field. LB Jackson may be the only addition who would start on any other Big 10 team. He's improving each week and appears to be a solid pickup (13 tackles & 2.5 tackles for loss this week).

2. Punting is Losing. The only positive to yesterday's loss was the punting by Tory Taylor. 7 punts for an average of 52.3 yards is Reggie Roby-esque. Better yet, two of the punts were downed inside the 10 yard line. Taylor leads the Big 10 in punting and did everything he could do to give the Hawks a chance on Sat. The rest of the team failed to show up.

3. Cali Trip: Money Well Spent? It's a cute story how Cade and the WRs used Hawk fans' hard earned money, through the NIL, to vacation in California and practice the intricacies of...throwing and catching the ball on the beach. This week, those elite Cali trained WRs managed just TWO catches (one was a 2 yard shot put pass to Ragaini for little gain). For the season, the receiving corp averages just 3 catches per game. Even Army's wishbone offense is has a more potent passing attack. Looking at the rest of the Big 10 west, Wisconsin's WRs had 17 catches yesterday. Purdue's WRs had 17 catches (not counting Tyrone Tracey's catches). Northwestern WRs had 24 catches. The fact that Iowa WRs caught just 2 balls is grounds for an immediate coaching change.

4. Is Higgins the Real Deal? Higgins had a career day yesterday, racking up 18 tackles. He's one of the top tacklers in college football. But I can't tell if he's an elite LB with legit NFL prospects, or if they defense just couldn't get off the field and the DL isn't getting the kind of production it should.

5. Playing Not to Lose, Even When Losing. Iowa's ultra conservative play calling has been discussed ad nauseum. But what was with continuing to run the ball up the middle for no gain when behind by 24+ points in the 3rd and 4th quarter? Shouldn't we at least TRY to put up points? Similarly, is there any rational reason at all to fair catch every kickoff, even when many balls were fielded on the 8 yard line? To win against superior opponents, you at least have to try. Having your walk-on kick returner fair catch kicks is garbage coaching and terrible recruiting (of 85 scholarships, we don't have one guy worthy of returning kicks?).

6. "What's the Upside" in Continuing to Play McNamara? It has now been 2 years since Cade was "healthy." In an age when having a mobile QB is the norm, Cade instantly puts the Hawks at a disadvantage with his inability to run. He was hurt for spring ball. He was hurt all fall and didn't practice much. We gave him a pass. Now the excuse is he's been hurt in all of our first 4 games. At what point do we just put him on the shelf until he's healthy and give someone else a shot to actually throw the ball down field? Cade at 50% must be worse than our backups are when 100% healthy, right? Cade's stat line this week was 5/14 for 43 yards. Petras never even had a game THAT bad in 3 years of being the worst QB in Iowa history.

Last edited:
"Iowa replaced its 1st round draft pick TE with Michigan backup Eric All."

My recollection is you were not a big fan of LaPorta in last year's writeup.

The rest of you observations seem about right. I think Cade with his normal mobility is better than Petras was but we haven't really seen Cade healthy---so yeah, he is underwhelming.

You fail to mention the OLine and lack of run game. Iowa won't win many games with 20 yards rushing or whatever they managed.

"Iowa replaced its 1st round draft pick TE with Michigan backup Eric All."

My recollection is you were not a big fan of LaPorta in last year's writeup.

The rest of you observations seem about right. I think Cade with his normal mobility is better than Petras was but we haven't really seen Cade healthy---so yeah, he is underwhelming.

You fail to mention the OLine and lack of run game. Iowa won't win many games with 20 yards rushing or whatever they managed.
Your recollection is correct.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Transfer portal recruits such as Anderson and Brown haven't been properly utilized, this is thanks to our scheme. Nick Jackson is improving game after game. Cade is injured. The only busts I can think of are the OLine recruits.

Point 3: again, this is a scheme issue, not a Jimmies and Joes issue.

Questioning whether Higgins is the real deal or not is silly. He's been the real deal since week 1 and hasn't stopped since. His leadership and performance on the field has filled the shoes of Jack Campbell very well. He'll be at minimum a second round draft pick.

Pretty much spot on today. Was Wetgen told not to return any kicks? If so, that's coaching malpractice given the odds of the Iowa offense mounting a long drive. If not, find somebody else.
It certainly appeared they were instructed to fair catch the kickoffs.

Wetjen looked upset out there b/c he saw room for a catch and run. That kid has some wheels too - what a shame.

Pretty much spot on today. Was Wetjen told not to return any kicks? If so, that's coaching malpractice given the odds of the Iowa offense mounting a long drive. If not, find somebody else.
I missed a couple of the early kickoffs and know that he had a chance to return 1 or 2 that he actually fielded, but it was clear that he was instructed not to return any kicks, and was getting more and more frustrated each time.

It certainly appeared they were instructed to fair catch the kickoffs.

Wetjen looked upset out there b/c he saw room for a catch and run. That kid has some wheels too - what a shame.
So if that's true, then the staff just basically took one of the very few potential offensive weapons off the table. I don't understand that. At all.

Transfer portal recruits such as Anderson and Brown haven't been properly utilized, this is thanks to our scheme. Nick Jackson is improving game after game. Cade is injured. The only busts I can think of are the OLine recruits.

Questioning whether Higgins is the real deal or not is silly. He's been the real deal since week 1 and hasn't stopped since. His leadership and performance on the field has filled the shoes of Jack Campbell very well. He'll be at minimum a second round draft pick.
Jackson has been awful in pass coverage, though. He was largely responsible for several drives continuing, including against PSU's second string, and at least one score given up on that TE throwback. You could tell he did not understand that he was suppose to take the pulling TE that caught the pass.

He gets sucked up too easily playing the read option/play fakes intending to stop the run.

Reactions: hawkandroll
Jackson has been awful in pass coverage, though. He was largely responsible for several drives continuing, including against PSU's second string, and at least one score given up on that TE throwback. You could tell he did not understand that he was suppose to take the pulling TE that caught the pass.

He gets sucked up too easily playing the read option/play fakes intending to stop the run.
Throwback is a hard cover for every linebacker that ever played football.

Reactions: littlez
Throwback is a hard cover for every linebacker that ever played football.
There's only a handful of plays from that formation that ever get run. At some point, you should have a list of those plays in your head and how to defend them.

See every team defending Iowa's zone stretch run. They all know how to defend it in 2023.............they didn't in 2003.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It’s 100% true. The [potential] playmakers are having their ability to make plays stripped from them right before our eyes.

It is very, very disappointing.
So I wonder who would make that call. Kirk or LeVar? Going into the game the narrative was that Iowa was going to have to win the game with big plays from defense and special teams, and then they take ko returns off the table. Curious at best.

TL;DR version of the summary:

"Fart noises". Much simpler.

At any rate, I say play Cade. The backup isn't going to be any better so play the guy getting paid. Until we find someone who knows how to get offensive linemen to block it doesn't matter who our QB is. Not to say it's all on the Oline, there have been far too many plays where Cade missed the pass and large gains were lost because of it.

Pretty much spot on today. Was Wetgen told not to return any kicks? If so, that's coaching malpractice given the odds of the Iowa offense mounting a long drive. If not, find somebody else.
My guess is they were worried about TOS. Psu fumbled a punt as did iowa. He might have been trying to minimize mistakes.

The entire nation paid witness to what has been ailing the Hawkeyes ever since Kirk placed his meat head son in charge of both play calling and QB coaching. Disaster. A 31-0 blowout loss and the score doesn't even reflect the amount of randying around on the field. Where do we go from here?

1. Iowa's Transfer Portal Recruiting Was a HUGE Bust. Iowa's attempt to salvage Brian's career through portal recruiting appears to be a failure. The headliner is now the Big 10's 13th rated QB. My NIL donations well spent. Iowa replaced its 1st round draft pick TE with Michigan backup Eric All. Sadly, All is a shell of what he once was, and has as many fumbles, fall downs, and missed blocks as he has catches. Next, Iowa lost its two 4 star WRs to the portal and replaced them with a D3 WR who has just 4 receptions in 4 games. More NIL well spent. The Hawks also spent some $ landing a "super star" from Ohio State. Welp, 0 catches in 4 games makes him wish he stayed riding the bench at OSU. Then there's the OL. Iowa had the Big 10's worst OL last year. Rather than bringing in talented Power 5 transfers, Iowa brought in a couple of slow footed small schoolers. If neither are good enough to crack Iowa's lineup, they have no business taking up Power 5 football scholarships? On D, we now know why the staff tried so hard to bring in a last second CB. They failed at attracting anyone and we are seeing the results on the field. Jackson, at LB, may be the only grad transfer addition that would start on any other Big 10 team right now. He's improving each week and appears to be a solid pickup (13 tackles & 2.5 tackles for loss this week).

2. Punting is Losing. The only positive I could find in yesterday's loss was the punting by Tory Taylor. 7 punts for an average of 52.3 yards is Reggie Roby-esque. Better yet, two of the punts were downed inside the 10 yard line. Taylor leads the Big 10 in punting and did everything he could do to give the Hawks a chance on Sat. The rest of the team failed to show up.

3. Cali Trip: Money Well Spent? It's a cute story how Cade and the WRs used Hawk fans' hard earned money, through the NIL, to vacation in California and practice...throwing and catching the ball. This week, those elite Cali trained WRs had just TWO catches (one of them was a 2 yard shot put pass to Ragaini for little gain). The receiving corp averages just 3 catches per game. Even Army's wishbone offense is has a more potent passing attack. Looking at the rest of the Big 10 west by comparison, I see Wisconsin's WRs had 17 catches yesterday. Purdue's WRs had 17 catches (not counting Tyrone Tracey's catches), Northwestern WRs had 24 catches. The fact that Iowa had just 2 WR catches this week is grounds for an immediate coaching change.

4. Is Higgins the Real Deal? Higgins had a career day yesterday, racking up 18 tackles. But I can't tell if he's an elite LB with legit NFL prospects, or if they defense just couldn't get off the field and the DL isn't getting the kind of production it should.

5. Playing Not to Lose, Even When Losing. Iowa's ultra conservative play calling has been discussed ad nauseum. But what was with continuing to run the ball up the middle for no gain when behind by 24+ points in the 3rd and 4th quarter? Shouldn't we at least TRY to put up points? Similarly, it seemed like every 5 minutes Penn State was kicking off. Is there any rational reason at all to fair catch every kickoff, even when they rarely even made it back to the 5 yard line? To win against superior opponents, you at least have to take some chances. Having your walk-on kick returner fair catch kicks is garbage coaching and terrible recruiting.

6. "What's the Upside" in Continuing to Play McNamara? It has now been 2 years since Cade was "healthy." In an age when having a mobile QB is the norm, Cade instantly puts the Hawks at a disadvantage with his inability to run. He was hurt for spring ball. He was hurt all fall and didn't practice much. We gave him a pass. Now the excuse is he's been hurt in all of our first 4 games. At what point do we just put him on the shelf until he's healthy and give someone else a shot to actually throw the ball down field? Cade at 50% must be worse than our backups are when 100% healthy, right? Cade's stat line this week was 5/14 for 43 yards. Petras never even had a game THAT bad in 3 years of being the worst QB in Iowa history.
The only point I object to is the transfer busts. The Iowa offensive schemes are so bad that Marvin Harrison Jr. wouldn’t do shit in this offense. In short, there’s no way to know how good or bad any of these guys would be without better offensive schemes and a competent OC.

So, yeah, I’m done questioning the players. They are being tasked with trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. It’s just not reasonable to judge their capabilities off that.

This failure is squarely on the coaches. And if Kirk isn’t willing to change, he needs to retire. Whether it’s forced or voluntary, I really don’t care anymore. He chose to put Tommy Boy’s coaching career ahead of the Iowa program. That’s inexcusable and unforgivable.

The other line that bothered me is "Next, Iowa lost its two 4 star WRs to the portal". You mean the guy that bet against his own team and will never play football again, and the guy that refused to play last year even when healthy? I also don't think either of them were 4* players. We got a 4* in exchange but, to be sure haven't seen much there yet.

My guess is they were worried about TOS. Psu fumbled a punt as did iowa. He might have been trying to minimize mistakes.
So tired of the fear of mistake coaching! They’ve feared mongering their way into obsolescence and ineffectiveness. We really stink as bad as the Bears. Worse, they at least get draft picks for sucking, Iowa only gets worse recruiting opps as we slide down the D1 ladder into the abyss.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Iowa didn't fumble a punt. A punt hit the back of one of the return team members. The kick offs were all fielded cleanly. Kickoff and punt return yardage has been a significant component of Iowa's meager offense the past 3 years. Without that and forced turnovers they had little chance of scoring enough points to win that game.

That brings up some hard choices
1) let him return it and there is decent chance he'll get more yardge beyond 25 yard line than the offense will get.
2) If he does get tackled short of 25, BF/KF go into turtle mode and it is almost guaranteed punt/short field for opponent.
3) Fair catch and take the ball at 25, gain a few yards, and Tory Taylor probably punts it far enough that Iowa is roughly even on field position.

Obviously BF/KF told him option #3.

Iowa didn't fumble a punt. A punt hit the back of one of the return team members. The kick offs were all fielded cleanly. Kickoff and punt return yardage has been a significant component of Iowa's meager offense the past 3 years. Without that and forced turnovers they had little chance of scoring enough points to win that game.
It was still a fumble of course. I don't know his reasoning but it appears he wasn't confident in the return team. PSU did drop one which they recovered of course. Maybe there were issues with holding onto the ball in general?

That brings up some hard choices
1) let him return it and there is decent chance he'll get more yardge beyond 25 yard line than the offense will get.
2) If he does get tackled short of 25, BF/KF go into turtle mode and it is almost guaranteed punt/short field for opponent.
3) Fair catch and take the ball at 25, gain a few yards, and Tory Taylor probably punts it far enough that Iowa is roughly even on field position.

Obviously BF/KF told him option #3.
It's just more questionable overly conservative decision making on the part of this staff. They're on the verge of just forgoing any effort offensively and punting on 1st down.

It's just more questionable overly conservative decision making on the part of this staff. They're on the verge of just forgoing any effort offensively and punting on 1st down.
I don't know the whys except maybe he was hoping for some quick breaks to give them and edge.

The entire nation paid witness to what has been ailing the Hawkeyes ever since Kirk placed his meat head son in charge of both play calling and QB coaching. Disaster. A 31-0 blowout loss and the score doesn't even reflect the amount of randying around on the field. Where do we go from here?

1. Iowa's Transfer Portal Recruiting Was a HUGE Bust. Iowa's attempt to salvage Brian's career through portal recruiting appears to be a failure. The headliner is now the Big 10's 13th rated QB. My NIL donations well spent. Iowa replaced its 1st round draft pick TE with Michigan backup Eric All. Sadly, All is a shell of what he once was, and has as many fumbles, fall downs, and missed blocks as he has catches. Next, Iowa lost its two 4 star WRs to the portal and replaced them with a D3 WR who has just 4 receptions in 4 games. More NIL well spent. The Hawks also spent some $ landing a "super star" from Ohio State. Welp, 0 catches in 4 games makes him wish he stayed riding the bench at OSU. Then there's the OL. Iowa had the Big 10's worst OL last year. Rather than bringing in talented Power 5 transfers, Iowa brought in a couple of slow footed small schoolers. If neither are good enough to crack Iowa's lineup, they have no business taking up Power 5 football scholarships? On D, we now know why the staff tried so hard to bring in a last second CB. They failed at attracting anyone and we are seeing the results on the field. Jackson, at LB, may be the only grad transfer addition that would start on any other Big 10 team right now. He's improving each week and appears to be a solid pickup (13 tackles & 2.5 tackles for loss this week).

2. Punting is Losing. The only positive I could find in yesterday's loss was the punting by Tory Taylor. 7 punts for an average of 52.3 yards is Reggie Roby-esque. Better yet, two of the punts were downed inside the 10 yard line. Taylor leads the Big 10 in punting and did everything he could do to give the Hawks a chance on Sat. The rest of the team failed to show up.

3. Cali Trip: Money Well Spent? It's a cute story how Cade and the WRs used Hawk fans' hard earned money, through the NIL, to vacation in California and practice...throwing and catching the ball. This week, those elite Cali trained WRs had just TWO catches (one of them was a 2 yard shot put pass to Ragaini for little gain). The receiving corp averages just 3 catches per game. Even Army's wishbone offense is has a more potent passing attack. Looking at the rest of the Big 10 west by comparison, I see Wisconsin's WRs had 17 catches yesterday. Purdue's WRs had 17 catches (not counting Tyrone Tracey's catches), Northwestern WRs had 24 catches. The fact that Iowa had just 2 WR catches this week is grounds for an immediate coaching change.

4. Is Higgins the Real Deal? Higgins had a career day yesterday, racking up 18 tackles. But I can't tell if he's an elite LB with legit NFL prospects, or if they defense just couldn't get off the field and the DL isn't getting the kind of production it should.

5. Playing Not to Lose, Even When Losing. Iowa's ultra conservative play calling has been discussed ad nauseum. But what was with continuing to run the ball up the middle for no gain when behind by 24+ points in the 3rd and 4th quarter? Shouldn't we at least TRY to put up points? Similarly, it seemed like every 5 minutes Penn State was kicking off. Is there any rational reason at all to fair catch every kickoff, even when they rarely even made it back to the 5 yard line? To win against superior opponents, you at least have to take some chances. Having your walk-on kick returner fair catch kicks is garbage coaching and terrible recruiting.

Of all that I agree with on this, the fair catching kickoffs is number one. I have praised Kirk for ignoring that trend for the most part. On a night when we needed a big play, with a guy who has shown he's pretty good at KR, he wasn't allowed to return them. I cannot wait to watch a different offense.

I'm doubly salty because I go from Iowa's crap offense to the Bears crap offense, every weekend, for decades.

as far as the WRs...Charlie Jones nailed that shut last season.

The scheme sucks. It's going to kill recruiting.

Reactions: Iron Doc
Of all that I agree with on this, the fair catching kickoffs is number one. I have praised Kirk for ignoring that trend for the most part. On a night when we needed a big play, with a guy who has shown he's pretty good at KR, he wasn't allowed to return them. I cannot wait to watch a different offense.

I'm doubly salty because I go from Iowa's crap offense to the Bears crap offense, every weekend, for decades.
T's and P's man.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The only point I object to is the transfer busts. The Iowa offensive schemes are so bad that Marvin Harrison Jr. wouldn’t do shit in this offense. In short, there’s no way to know how good or bad any of these guys would be without better offensive schemes and a competent OC.

So, yeah, I’m done questioning the players. They are being tasked with trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. It’s just not reasonable to judge their capabilities off that.

This failure is squarely on the coaches. And if Kirk isn’t willing to change, he needs to retire. Whether it’s forced or voluntary, I really don’t care anymore. He chose to put Tommy Boy’s coaching career ahead of the Iowa program. That’s inexcusable and unforgivable.
I agree 100% with all of this with the exception of the last 2 sentences. Kirk loves his son and I'm sure he thought that with his help he could do the job. It was really poor judgment on his part because he overestimated both of their abilities to develop and operate a college offense and failure was not a consideration. Kirk has achieved a ton of personal success and success can breed hubris leading to situations exactly like this. It's unfortunate but not unforgivable.

The entire nation paid witness to the virus ailing the Hawkeyes since Kirk placed his meat head son in charge of both play calling and QB coaching. Disaster. A 31-0 blowout loss and the score doesn't even reflect the amount of randying around on the field. Where do we go from here?

1. Iowa's Transfer Portal Recruiting Was a HUGE Bust. Iowa's attempt to salvage Brian's career through portal recruiting has been a failure. The headliner is the Big 10's 13th rated QB. My NIL donations well spent. 1st round draft pick LaPorta was replaced by Michigan backup Eric All. Sadly, All is a shell of what he once was. He has as many fumbles, fall downs, and missed blocks as he has catches. Next, Iowa lost its two 4 star WRs to the portal. In their place, a D3 WR and a kid from Ohio State. Combined, they've managed just 4 receptions in 4 games. More NIL well spent. Then there's the OL. Iowa had the Big 10's worst OL last year. Rather than bringing in Power 5 transfers, Iowa landed a couple of slow footed small schoolers. Since neither can even crack Iowa's lineup, neither has any business receiving Power 5 football scholarships. On D, the staff tried hard to bring in a last second CB. They failed. We are seeing the results on the field. LB Jackson may be the only addition who would start on any other Big 10 team. He's improving each week and appears to be a solid pickup (13 tackles & 2.5 tackles for loss this week).

2. Punting is Losing. The only positive to yesterday's loss was the punting by Tory Taylor. 7 punts for an average of 52.3 yards is Reggie Roby-esque. Better yet, two of the punts were downed inside the 10 yard line. Taylor leads the Big 10 in punting and did everything he could do to give the Hawks a chance on Sat. The rest of the team failed to show up.

3. Cali Trip: Money Well Spent? It's a cute story how Cade and the WRs used Hawk fans' hard earned money, through the NIL, to vacation in California and practice the intricacies of...throwing and catching the ball on the beach. This week, those elite Cali trained WRs managed just TWO catches (one was a 2 yard shot put pass to Ragaini for little gain). For the season, the receiving corp averages just 3 catches per game. Even Army's wishbone offense is has a more potent passing attack. Looking at the rest of the Big 10 west, Wisconsin's WRs had 17 catches yesterday. Purdue's WRs had 17 catches (not counting Tyrone Tracey's catches). Northwestern WRs had 24 catches. The fact that Iowa WRs caught just 2 balls is grounds for an immediate coaching change.

4. Is Higgins the Real Deal? Higgins had a career day yesterday, racking up 18 tackles. He's one of the top tacklers in college football. But I can't tell if he's an elite LB with legit NFL prospects, or if they defense just couldn't get off the field and the DL isn't getting the kind of production it should.

5. Playing Not to Lose, Even When Losing. Iowa's ultra conservative play calling has been discussed ad nauseum. But what was with continuing to run the ball up the middle for no gain when behind by 24+ points in the 3rd and 4th quarter? Shouldn't we at least TRY to put up points? Similarly, is there any rational reason at all to fair catch every kickoff, even when many balls were fielded on the 8 yard line? To win against superior opponents, you at least have to try. Having your walk-on kick returner fair catch kicks is garbage coaching and terrible recruiting (of 85 scholarships, we don't have one guy worthy of returning kicks?).

I was at odds with your last analysis (or maybe it was 2 ago), but this was spot on - well done.

Side notes: It seemed BF wanted to call that middle screen come hell or high water, I really think he is clueless as an OC/QB coach. Also, I saw that the Capt was calling out the Defense performance after the game?!?!,! WTF?😡 I will say Cooper seemed liked he was pissed off the whole game - can’t blame him though!

Reactions: DewHawk

Bears offensive mirroring Iowa’s - makes for a brutal weekend! ☠️

@2D_ - you don't think the highest hyped QB recruit at Iowa since Willie Guy is a bust? The poster child for NIL this year who came in as a proven senior, yet ranks 13th in the Big 10 in all major QB categories? There are no name freshmen QBs out there with less interceptions and mental mistakes (how many near delay of game calls or unnecessary sacks does he have to take) than Cade. I guess your expectations of that kind of QB are lower than mine. How long can you play the injury card before it's time to play someone else?

@RagnarLothbrok - Before laying it all on the coaches, I'm pretty sure Marvin Harrison Jr. would be regularly getting himself wide open against the loaded boxes Iowa plays against. Are you certain the D3 recruit starting at WR is doing the same? We all know Ragaini isn't fast or athletic enough to get open beyond 5 yards, but surely the passing game would look better with better WRs.

@toddhawkwi - like it or not, Arland Bruce & Kaegan Johnson were 4 star recruits and the best WRs on the team in 2021 and 2022. Having them leave, regardless of their personal choices off the field, was a big hit to the team, the offense, and especially the WR corp. The transfer WRs we brought in to replace them have not been nearly as productive. By comparison, Bruce had 25 catches as a true freshmen. Johnson had 18 catches as a freshmen, and averaged 20 yards per catch.

@Rambler Hawk - I didn't catch Kirk calling out the defense. I hope you misheard him, because that is the case, I could see every last defensive player revolting and quitting on the team. They play for Phil, not Kirk, and they are some of the biggest victims of the nepotism debacle. They are stuck out there for 90 plays a game while the offense goes 3 and out over and over again. It must be one of the most frustrating positions to be in in all of sports.

@2D_ - you don't think the highest hyped QB recruit at Iowa since Willie Guy is a bust? The poster child for NIL this year who came in as a proven senior, yet ranks 13th in the Big 10 in all major QB categories? There are no name freshmen QBs out there with less interceptions and mental mistakes (how many near delay of game calls or unnecessary sacks does he have to take) than Cade. I guess your expectations of that kind of QB are lower than mine. How long can you play the injury card before it's time to play someone else?

@RagnarLothbrok - Before laying it all on the coaches, I'm pretty sure Marvin Harrison Jr. would be regularly getting himself wide open against the loaded boxes Iowa plays against. Are you certain the D3 recruit starting at WR is doing the same? We all know Ragaini isn't fast or athletic enough to get open beyond 5 yards, but surely the passing game would look better with better WRs.

@toddhawkwi - like it or not, Arland Bruce & Kaegan Johnson were 4 star recruits and the best WRs on the team in 2021 and 2022. Having them leave, regardless of their personal choices off the field, was a big hit to the team, the offense, and especially the WR corp. The transfer WRs we brought in to replace them have not been nearly as productive. By comparison, Bruce had 25 catches as a true freshmen. Johnson had 18 catches as a freshmen, and averaged 20 yards per catch.

@Rambler Hawk - I didn't catch Kirk calling out the defense. I hope you misheard him, because that is the case, I could see every last defensive player revolting and quitting on the team. They play for Phil, not Kirk, and they are some of the biggest victims of the nepotism debacle. They are stuck out there for 90 plays a game while the offense goes 3 and out over and over again. It must be one of the most frustrating positions to be in in all of sports.
You know we don't get a high 1st Round draft pick if we play Deacon Hill and tank the rest of the season, right?

Deacon Hill for Iowa would go even worse than it's going for the Jets with Zach Wilson, after they put all their hopes in Discount Double Dork.

No, I get it..................you want Marco Lainez, don't you. ;)

Way too nice Law ... this program is one big fraud

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT