ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo Swinney sounding like Kirk -- good read

The thing is back in the day college was about education and learning, now not as much. JMO
It's more about the Benjamin's ...........
I personally don't like the way it's going.

It's a slippery slope and the NCAA will have to tread lightly, some rules will be needed, what will they be?
or the games we love will dissolve into something we won't enjoy as much, or @ all .

Won't matter as much to me I'm old, but like anything I fear for my grandkids and their future.
I hope they can survive the crap because they LOVE LOVE SPORTS, and I hope they can continue loving sports !

It's tough enough just being a kid, let alone some of the BS that they will have to wade through.

He's just mad because the kids aren't going to listen to his gospel pitches anymore and will be making decisions on where to go based on hard, cold cash. For a coach like Dabo, who isn't particularly good at development or X's and O's, and who made a career based on being the big time recruiter, NIL is the death knell for him and his program. Clemson is a have-not program in this new system.

One last thing, I'm guessing sooner rather than later that booster organizations will separate from athletic departments, and that those booster organizations start to run ticketing, merchandising, and other functions to directly benefit student athletes through NIL in revenue sports. With the B1G set to jump as high as $100 million per school in revenue solely through the TV deal, along with some other sources of revenue like NCAA tournament income, CFP and bowl revenue, Learfield, donor funds, etc, that is probably enough revenue to run on without needing football or basketball ticket sales.

Even before NIL the top level of college football was putting some distance from the rest of the teams including Iowa. NIL will only increase that. Iowa just won't be able to compete. That said the best Iowa teams still can easily win the B1G West, have a shot at the B1G Championship and against the right opponent win the Rose Bowl. A B1G West Championship and Rose Bowl victory would be a legendary season for most Iowa fans. I don't think Iowa necessarily needs to win the B1G or get to a playoff. Hell most Iowa fans on here are fine with 7-8 win seasons even in a pretty mediocre division.

Reactions: red/green hawk
Yeah ... Dabo's comments definitely seemed to mirror Kirk's philosophy.
Always enjoy your opinions ghost. I would respectfully disagree that Dabo sounds like Kirk. Ferentz has definitely made some old school comments, but he's generally been about doing things that are right for the players. Things like lifting the restrictions on what food they can provide, the amount of interaction they can have with coaches in the off-season, etc. KF was in the NFL for nearly a decade, and there it is strictly business. If you aren't good enough, you're gone. Period. Dabo comes across as lacking self-awareness. He and his coaches are able to become millionaires through the process, but it's "bad" if the players get any of the dollars. But I could be wrong on all of this.

To be fair to the coaches, this is a bit of uncharted territory here. I'm not sure how all of this gets balanced/answered in the courts. I would imagine there will be a Title IX challenge at some point as more schools set up these funds that just pay players on certain teams (football, men's basketball) and not others (any women's sport). The legal answer probably is that these are set up outside the school's official channels.

Seems as if we are going down a path where ultimately schools offer fewer athletic programs. Hope i'm wrong.

LOL I keep reading takes related to the NIL that schools like Iowa won’t be able to compete with the blue bloods….newsflash….we already don’t….this won’t change anything. The playoffs are always the same teams, and the games are not competitive….been that way for years….long before NIL

The thing is back in the day college was about education and learning, now not as much.
Actually, things have changed less than most people think because human nature hasn't changed. Back in the day, many "college" athletes played longer than JBo. They'd play a few years in one part of the country, then get paid to move on to another region and play several more years. Keeping track of such shenanigans wasn't easy. And boosters have been plying college athletes with money since they started keeping score. A Sport magazine cover story in the 1930s by Grantland Rice lamented that the infusion of money into college football would ruin the sport. That was almost a century ago.

It has been said that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Yes, the details--like NIL--are different, but the fundamentals are the same. Money talks. And the love of money is the root of all evil. Dabo, of all people, should know that. LOL

Actually, things have changed less than most people think because human nature hasn't changed. Back in the day, many "college" athletes played longer than JBo. They'd play a few years in one part of the country, then get paid to move on to another region and play several more years. Keeping track of such shenanigans wasn't easy. And boosters have been plying college athletes with money since they started keeping score. A Sport magazine cover story in the 1930s by Grantland Rice lamented that the infusion of money into college football would ruin the sport. That was almost a century ago.

It has been said that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Yes, the details--like NIL--are different, but the fundamentals are the same. Money talks. And the love of money is the root of all evil. Dabo, of all people, should know that. LOL

I get what you’re saying and to a large degree it’s true, but where NIL really charges the game is that now money can be openly funneled to not just the elite (high-4 and 5-stars) but to those 3-stars that schools like Iowa depend on to develop.

If a 3-star kid from central IL with tremendous upside is deciding between Iowa and Kansas, but Iowa can’t find a NIL resource (because we’re Iowa) and Kanas can, that kid may have no ooption but to go with Kansas….even if his preference is to stay closer to home.

I get what you’re saying and to a large degree it’s true, but where NIL really charges the game is that now money can be openly funneled to not just the elite (high-4 and 5-stars) but to those 3-stars that schools like Iowa depend on to develop.

If a 3-star kid from central IL with tremendous upside is deciding between Iowa and Kansas, but Iowa can’t find a NIL resource (because we’re Iowa) and Kanas can, that kid may have no ooption but to go with Kansas….even if his preference is to stay closer to home.
They'd need their head examined if they chose Kansas

@ FWIW4922463

Wrong, Human nature has changed a lot you really don't have to look far to find it if your looking.
We will agree to disagree.
Life is not the same as it was 10 20 or 30 years ago and changing rapidly, and not
necessarily for the better, some things yes, and most NO, look no farther than twitter to see an example .

Last edited:
For a coach like Dabo, who isn't particularly good at development or X's and O's, and who made a career based on being the big time recruiter
You're obviously not a Dabo fan and just using this thread to take a shot at him, but this comment is rather disingenuous. Sure, he's a great recruiter, but he's only had a few top 5 classes. Most of his classes are in the 9-12 range. I'd say that 6 straight CFP appearances and 2 Nattys is a pretty good return on that recruiting; probably an indication that he knows a little bit about coaching, also.

You're obviously not a Dabo fan and just using this thread to take a shot at him, but this comment is rather disingenuous. Sure, he's a great recruiter, but he's only had a few top 5 classes. Most of his classes are in the 9-12 range. I'd say that 6 straight CFP appearances and 2 Nattys is a pretty good return on that recruiting; probably an indication that he knows a little bit about coaching, also.
This is America.

What have you done for me today? ;)

79d04080cc020bd78785611c3e63e85d.jpg

;)

I jest with this, but it does feel like a bunch of grumpy guys pining for the old days.

I'm one of them.

Everyone can speculate where college sports is headed. Based on the present circumstances it makes sense to eliminate scholarships and make athletes employees of the athletic department. Each conference can decide the minimum they will pay and how many employees each sport is permitted. To be eligible to participate the athlete must be enrolled as a student and making progress toward a degree. From his/her salary they will pay for tuition, books, room and board, and living expenses. As an example Iowa could pay each member of the football team $100,000, which would amount to $8.5M annually for 85 player salaries. This not a huge amount considering the money football generates. Along with the salary the university could furnish benefits like health and life insurance. The athlete could get name and likeness money on top of his salary.

When it comes to the portal just eliminate it. Every athlete is a free agent after the end of each academic year.

Let's quit pretending this is amateur sports and athletes are students first. Going to the model I described above will reward those that can offer better pay over those that can't, just like the organizations that can pay more to beat the competition.

Everyone can speculate where college sports is headed. Based on the present circumstances it makes sense to eliminate scholarships and make athletes employees of the athletic department. Each conference can decide the minimum they will pay and how many employees each sport is permitted. To be eligible to participate the athlete must be enrolled as a student and making progress toward a degree. From his/her salary they will pay for tuition, books, room and board, and living expenses. As an example Iowa could pay each member of the football team $100,000, which would amount to $8.5M annually for 85 player salaries. This not a huge amount considering the money football generates. Along with the salary the university could furnish benefits like health and life insurance. The athlete could get name and likeness money on top of his salary.

When it comes to the portal just eliminate it. Every athlete is a free agent after the end of each academic year.

Let's quit pretending this is amateur sports and athletes are students first. Going to the model I described above will reward those that can offer better pay over those that can't, just like the organizations that can pay more to beat the competition.
All players don't deserve the same pay though.
If you're gonna keep nil why do both?

Thinking iowa should pay a kid 100k a year then when he's ready to play, he can leave? That's crazy! If players can leave they should have to pay back their salary then.

• Haha
Reactions: LittleBroHawkeye
All players don't deserve the same pay though.
If you're gonna keep nil why do both?

Thinking iowa should pay a kid 100k a year then when he's ready to play, he can leave? That's crazy! If players can leave they should have to pay back their salary then.

I'd like to think the NIL resource would construct an agreement where the $$ is paid in installments and ramps up over time as the athlete develops.

I agree the portal will definitely be utilized to "renegotiate" deals ...just as it was intended. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Don't EVER compare Dabo's philosophy's to Ferments....Dabo's goals are National Championships....Ferments ONLY goal is to win a water down West in hopes of "someday" lucking into a Championship against the East....that is fact!!!

• Haha
Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
Neither Dabo, nor KF, is equipped to compete with "Blood-Thirsty" recruiting, and college football is passing them by very quickly. They'll both probably delegate this "problem" to a subordinate, and hope it turns out okay. It's 2022, and time to stop looking backwards!

If coaches were willing to cut back to equivalent salaries from 60 years ago and treat them like students, not employees in a multi-billion dollar business then we could go back to the old system and regulate the crap out of what they do.

They are right, though. This is going to lead to massive competitive imbalances and could ultimately harm the sport.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Iowa is lagging on getting an alum group NIL unit going, most likely because it wasn’t already in place before the rules changed like it was in so many other schools.

• Wow
Reactions: bumpstock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT