ADVERTISEMENT

Dailey gets slammed to pavement by Cleveland police officers, who thought his group had a gun

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Note the timeline:
* The incident occurred on June 4
* Dailey posted about it on Twitter on June 5
* The media finally noticed and wrote about it on June 30

From the QC Times

Don Doxsie
ddoxsie@qctimes.com

Published Jun 30, 2017
:

Maishe Dailey and seven friends were walking around the downtown area in his hometown of Cleveland on June 4, looking for a place to watch their beloved Cleveland Cavaliers take on the Golden State Warriors in Game 2 of the NBA finals.

They suddenly were confronted by eight police officers, who slammed them to the pavement and searched them. They were kept there for 40 minutes and were searched several more times before finally being released.

“They let us go and said ‘We thought you guys had a gun,’’’ Dailey reported in his Twitter statement.

The soft-spoken Dailey isn’t inclined to provide a lot of additional details.

“I don’t want to talk too much about it, but it was like a scary situation,’’ he said after playing in a game in the Prime Time League recently. “When I posted on Twitter, I just wanted to share with the world that it’s real and it happens. It was scary for me.’’

Within 20 minutes after tweeting the news, Dailey got a phone call from Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery, who spoke to him for 10 minutes and warned him to be prepared to answer questions about the incident and his tweet.

But McCaffery also expressed his support for Dailey’s decision to go public, which made the 6-foot-7 guard feel pretty good.

“It really did because it’s just hard to imagine why someone like Colin Kaepernick … he’s taking the punishment for speaking out and doing what he thinks is right,’’ Dailey said. “So it’s good to have my coach behind my back no matter what decision I choose.’’

Dailey said he and his friends filed a formal complaint, and now just plan to let the system take whatever course it takes.

Link to whole story: http://qctimes.com/sports/basketbal...cle_e6de50c6-dcd3-5834-ab0e-815b1de44779.html

Last edited:
Full text of Maishe Dailey's June 5 posting on Twitter

While walking downtown Cleveland yesterday looking for a place to watch the Cavs game, my 7 friends and I were slammed hard on the concrete by 8 cops. Multiple times we asked ‘what are we being searched for,’ but no response from any of them. After repeatedly being searched for 40 minutes, they let us go and said ‘we thought you guys had a gun’ … Thank God we made it to see the 2nd half of the Cavs game. #GoCavs

Last edited:
We haven't had an off court incident in years! We've got great young men and it makes me angry and sad to think of a group of young men just trying to find a place to watch a basketball game being taken to the ground (assisted can feel like a takedown) and detained, searched for forty minutes.

At the same time, we don't know what the initial reason was for the police to be so "active". We don't know the whole story so, at least for me, I am not going to play expert and fly off the handle. I'm angry, but not sure who to be angry at. Could be another group of kids that were running around that the cops were looking for? So no judgement from me.

But this gives a chance to ask a hypothetical. What happens if we ever have a player that decides to take a knee during the National Anthem? Maybe even just because it is the National Anthem? There are FOUR verses, we only sing the first one, the third compares the British to hirelings and slaves. The fourth pretty much makes it a Christian Hymn. Honestly, it can't possibly speak to All Americans.

So, to me, here's a thought. So many people have risen above the questionable aspects and for years stood to support the greater good that spoke to all. I do think that is the classy thing to do. But, I'm not going to be angry at someone expressing their First Amendment Rights. If it ever happens.... I'll just take it for the statement it is and move on the enjoying the game.

Wtf kind of moron brings that douche Kapernick into this?

He was merely pointing out being supported by Coach McCaffery for expressing his 1st Amendment rights via Twitter, unlike the polemical backlash that CK received for expressing his. Whether you agree with what CK did or not, and I certainly don't, is irrelevant. At no point in the article did Dailey say he does or doesn't support the trend CK started last year of protesting the national anthem. He was merely pointing out that a young black man speaking out against excessive/inappropriate police force is a very sensitive topic to a lot of people, and expressed gratitude for Coach McCaffery's support. That is it. In short, your response is not only unwarranted (calling Dailey a moron) it reflects a profound lack of thinking.

For the record, I think the vast majority of our police officers are good people trying to do a thankless job. I'm guessing there aren't many who get up in the morning and think to themselves Man, first opportunity I get, I'm going to shoot or slam to the ground an unarmed black guy. Unfortunately,fear and uncertainty are powerful forces that can drive human beings to do irrational things, whether they are trained police officers or not. Right or wrong, skin color still generates a visceral response in a lot of people--whether they intend to experience those feelings/reactions or not. Police officers are human too.

I will end by saying this: I did a lot of hell raising in college and in my early twenties. I've mouthed off to police officers many times while being belligerent drunk (and I'm not very proud of that fact). Never once was a gun pulled on me or was I slammed to the ground. Ever. Just saying...

One of our Hawkeyes. And he wasn't being a moron. Maishe clearly has had an experience that folks like me, enjoying white privilege, don't have to worry about. I think it is important to accept that this is something we can't understand.

Couple that with the fact he wasn't offering approval of CK's actions. He was merely referencing CK to demonstrate the type of vitriol that can be generated when a young black man uses his 1st Amendment rights to speak against inappropriate police action, and was simply stating his gratitude for Coach McCaffery's support.

I get it, though, reading comprehension is not everyone's strong suit. Speaks volumes, though, when you think about it, how everything written in that article that speaks to this young man's character and integrity, and CK is what stands out to people. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Rudolph and DanL53
Couple that with the fact he wasn't offering approval of CK's actions. He was merely referencing CK to demonstrate the type of vitriol that can be generated when a young black man uses his 1st Amendment rights to speak against inappropriate police action, and was simply stating his gratitude for Coach McCaffery's support.

I get it, though, reading comprehension is not everyone's strong suit. Speaks volumes, though, when you think about it, how everything written in that article that speaks to this young man's character and integrity, and CK is what stands out to people. Ridiculous.

Or it is because this story is about 30 days old and the only new angle is the part about CK.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
One of our Hawkeyes. And he wasn't being a moron. Maishe clearly has had an experience that folks like me, enjoying white privilege, don't have to worry about. I think it is important to accept that this is something we can't understand.
Has nothing to do with Kapernick or the anthem. Which is ridiculous leftist bs anyway

The police have an incredibly difficult job and get little to no credit for it until someone needs them in an emergency. Don't like to hear about one of our own getting the treatment but there are 2 sides to things.

The police have an incredibly difficult job and get little to no credit for it until someone needs them in an emergency. Don't like to hear about one of our own getting the treatment but there are 2 sides to things.

Not one of us has all the facts here. But that doesn't stop some people from choosing which "side" to be on. Just consider my "side" to be a recognition that I wasn't there, but I know that both 1) Minorities get their asses kicked. 2) There are indeed and mostly are many good cops.

And yes, if someone wants to call me liberal for enjoying facts, and say that facts are bs....that's fine by me. Please,repeat yourself in public loud and often so people know what "you" are. (Folks can figure out who I'm talking about.)

Not one of us has all the facts here. But that doesn't stop some people from choosing which "side" to be on. Just consider my "side" to be a recognition that I wasn't there, but I know that both 1) Minorities get their asses kicked. 2) There are indeed and mostly are many good cops.

And yes, if someone wants to call me liberal for enjoying facts, and say that facts are bs....that's fine by me. Please,repeat yourself in public loud and often so people know what "you" are. (Folks can figure out who I'm talking about.)

My question for you Dan is why minorities often are targeted by the police? Maybe because there is a reason?

My question for you Dan is why minorities often are targeted by the police? Maybe because there is a reason?

I don't know. All I can tell you is when I was helping a friend who happened to be black move, in Clinton, Iowa. I was waiting at his new apartment with one truck full of items. And although he'd been right behind me and another person helping, in his truck, carrying only his tv so it didn't get damaged, he wasn't showing up!

It turned out he was pulled over by two cops. The first one approached his truck and immediately asked where he had gotten the tv. The second cop recognized my friend as a former running back for the high school football team, and vouched for him. They let him go.

You ever had anything like that happen to you? You saying there is a reason that was ok?

Keep in mind, that means the cops saw US, two white guys, in a truck filled to the brim and they didn't bat an eye.

Last edited:
That makes no sense, but I'm not surprised you wouldn't realize that.
You're not a touch triggered by Dailey's mentioning CK as it relates to his experience in Cleveland, and recounting this experience via Twitter?

Reactions: DanL53
Interesting topic. Having done a lot of work in this area I've found there to usually be usually two sides to these police stories. Hence the importance of body cams.

Kneeling to the national anthem is extremely insulting to a very large number of people; people who buy tickets and watch TV. It's a selfish act that distracts enormously from the team, it divides the team and the fan base.

However, unlike the NFL, a private enterprise, Iowa is a public institution and hence cannot discriminate over free expression. Much higher scrutiny when analyzing public vs. private response to offensive speech. I expect there'd be a lot of boos when a kid that took a knee during the national anthem entered the game.

Interesting topic. Having done a lot of work in this area I've found there to usually be usually two sides to these police stories. Hence the importance of body cams.

Kneeling to the national anthem is extremely insulting to a very large number of people; people who buy tickets and watch TV. It's a selfish act that distracts enormously from the team, it divides the team and the fan base.

However, unlike the NFL, a private enterprise, Iowa is a public institution and hence cannot discriminate over free expression. Much higher scrutiny when analyzing public vs. private response to offensive speech. I expect there'd be a lot of boos when a kid that took a knee during the national anthem entered the game.

I suspect the result would be recruiting would drop off, players would transfer, and we could kiss McCaffery goodbye. I don't feel like being the modern day Kentucky white guys only just because some fans want to be butthurt if a guy kneel's during the national anthem. I've already expressed that I prefer the folks who stand and display that we are one people. But I get that experiences may make that too hard for some. Besides, it's their opinion they are expressing....we think we have the right to build up a hate for that?!?!?!

Last edited:
No, funny as in a "what a terrible comparison/analogy to make" as the 2 situations are completely different.
Maybe to Maishe Dailey they aren't, but you of course feel entitled to decide that for him.

CK has spoken out and/or demonstrated on biased policing, in doing so he has drawn intense scrutiny. That Dailey considered for a moment to keep his experience to himself, even for a moment, speaks to part of the problem—which is that people are so entrenched in their "side" that to speak out negatively, even if completely justified, is to invite vilification—facts and circumstances be-damned.

Living in NYC during Giuliani time I can tell you that biased policing most certainly is a problem. Does this make all police bad people? Nope.

CK might not express his activism in the way that makes people comfortable. Tough shit. I wonder how Muhammad Ali was received in his early expressions of his activism?

Anyways, the manner in which you've responded to me most certainly suggests that you are indeed a bit triggered. No need to be.

Maybe to Maishe Dailey they aren't, but you of course feel entitled to decide that for him.

CK has spoken out and/or demonstrated on biased policing, in doing so he has drawn intense scrutiny. That Dailey considered for a moment to keep his experience to himself, even for a moment, speaks to part of the problem—which is that people are so entrenched in their "side" that to speak out negatively, even if completely justified, is to invite vilification—facts and circumstances be-damned.

Living in NYC during Giuliani time I can tell you that biased policing most certainly is a problem. Does this make all police bad people? Nope.

CK might not express his activism in the way that makes people comfortable. Tough shit. I wonder how Muhammad Ali was received in his early expressions of his activism?

Anyways, the manner in which you've responded to me most certainly suggests that you are indeed a bit triggered. No need to be.

Well, by all means please feel entitled to leave it up to yourself to decide who is triggered by what.

Well, by all means please feel entitled to leave it up to yourself to decide who is triggered by what.
I didn't do such a thing. I merely made an observation—a suspicion—that you appeared to be triggered. Your initial response was pretty defensive, didn't need to be. But it was, so I think maybe my suspicion has been confirmed.

You still playing ball?

Reactions: Ree4 and DanL53
Just wanted to share my experience. When I was 16-17 years old I lived in a rougher neighborhood and did not enjoy any of this mythical white privilege you suburban guys talk about all the time. I regularly got harassed by law enforcement and had my face in the street a few times once or twice with a boot on my neck/back and a pistol pointed at me. I wasn't ever doing anything wrong either, I just happened to "fit the description". It never occurred to me to blame the cops for doing their job, or to bring skin color into it, (some of the cops were different races).

I raised myself up out of that mess on my own and haven't looked back. I didn't do it by playing the victim. So for those asking if I ever had to experience such a "injustice", yes I have. As far as there being a good reason? There's no clear answer to that, I assume there's a delicate balance between what gets those cops home to their families each day and keeps people like me from getting hurt during a stop. It doesn't always happen, and we as people need to examine it as a case by case example... not lumping generalities and narratives together to inflame already tense situations.

The people doing that have an agenda... they don't give a ish about the people. It's about them, their cause, and politics.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my experience. When I was 16-17 years old I lived in a rougher neighborhood and did not enjoy any of this mythical white privilege you suburban guys talk about all the time. I regularly got harassed by law enforcement and had my face in the street a few times once or twice with a boot on my neck/back and a pistol pointed at me. I wasn't ever doing anything wrong either. It never occurred to me to blame the cops for doing their job, or to bring skin color into it, (some of the cops were different races).

I raised myself up out of that mess on my own and haven't looked back. I didn't do it by playing the victim. So for those asking if I ever had to experience such a "injustice", yes I have. As far as there being a good reason? There's no clear answer to that, I assume there's a delicate balance between what gets those cops home to their families each day and keeps people like me from getting hurt during a stop. It doesn't always happen, and we as people need to examine it as a case by case example... not lumping generalities and narratives together to inflame already tense situations.

The people doing that have an agenda... they don't give a ish about the people. It's about them, their cause, and politics.

This thread is already too political, but I assure you that white privilege is no myth. Since I brought it up, I will respond by suggesting that many people have had it rough, I did as well. But here we stand alive right now and I'm pretty sure we have enjoyed:

Nobody ever accused us of getting a job only because of affirmative action.
Nobody comes up to us and expects us to answer for our whole race.
I have never been asked by someone on the street whether I was born here or not.

I could go on. But no reason. Five minutes of research would present the facts. You either are interested in them, or not.

Note the timeline:

I am surprised this was not covered more in the media. Seems like a pretty big deal.

All too common and the reason it finally made any news at all was Dailey was interviewed because he plays basketball, and this incident came up. I'm sure many would just like it to go away..otherwise it is an agenda, Dailey brought it up, he must not give a sh!t about people. It was all about him, his cause, his politics.

Respectfully, the poster saying this brought up his own experiences...but forget that, no reason at all.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Regarding CK my honest opinion is I have a hard time taking his protest seriously because he has a net worth of 22 million dollars as a result of playing a game. Far more money then I could ever dream of making grinding out an existence. To me it's all about putting your money where your mouth is then. If you are so dissatisfied with this country and are so passionate about social injustice then instead of protesting the flag of the country that gives you the freedom and opportunity to make 22 million then quit the sport all together and devote your entire life using the entire 22 million towards the cause of social injustice. Instead he token donates a few bucks only after the 'public backlash' and continues to pursue trying to play a game.

I was listening to Clay Travis's outkick the coverage show one morning and he was talking about CK and his protest. The facts as he mentioned them were a person of any color has a far greater likelihood statiscally of being killed by a lightning strike than by a police officer. Does public sentiment reflect this statiscisl truth?

Are there bad people in all walks of life? Absolutely. Do we need to continue to work together to make improvements in our society? Sure. I just have a hard time taking CK himself seriously. We live in a time where it's cool to be counter culture and so many seek and live for personal attention. Was CK using a cause to draw attention to himself? Maybe.... not even thinking it through. The only one that knows is CK himself.

Last edited:
All too common and the reason it finally made any news at all was Dailey was interviewed because he plays basketball, and this incident came up. I'm sure many would just like it to go away..otherwise it is an agenda, Dailey brought it up, he must not give a sh!t about people. It was all about him, his cause, his politics.

Respectfully, the poster saying this brought up his own experiences...but forget that, no reason at all.

It brings up another issue: Twitter. Fran hates it but notice that as soon as Dailey made that post, Fran was calling Maishe.

I can totally understand why KF does not allow his players on Twitter. It is a dangerous medium where you can get yourself into trouble by what you post.

This is framed very poorly. As I pointed out in a previous response, many factors are involved.

However, it's painstakingly obvious your purpose in "contributing" to this thread was simply to provide a dimwitted, toss-off response that perpetuates the myth that 1) there is no such thing as systemic racism and 2) that skin color is a valid predictor of behavior.

The Percentage of white people & minorities that smoke pot is EXACTLY the same in the state off Iowa.. Look up how many minorities get busted against how many white people get busted.

Note: Des Moines Register did a story about it a year or 2 ago. I don't remember the exact numbers but The difference is staggering.

Reactions: DanL53
I didn't do such a thing. I merely made an observation—a suspicion—that you appeared to be triggered. Your initial response was pretty defensive, didn't need to be. But it was, so I think maybe my suspicion has been confirmed.

You still playing ball?

It's going to take a lot more to get me triggered than MD bringing up CK in an interview.

Nope...playing days are over. Went under the knife again recently...3rd knee surgery...after all those and a snapped Achilles my GF and the kids sat me down and asked me to stop playing as I was always in so much pain. Start every day with a 4 mile walk instead and while not as exciting and nothing will fill that competitive void, feels nice to be able to get out of the bed pain free these days.

Picked up a nice little side gig....sitting in LV right now scouting summer league for an NBA team, and then do the same for them w/ college games in AZ during the season.

Reactions: LeroyHawk
Note the timeline:

I am surprised this was not covered more in the media. Seems like a pretty big deal.

This was written about and covered well before June 30th.

One of the reasons it was not covered even more was because Maishe was not ready to talk about it extensively yet and some places weren't going to go with a story with just the Tweet and not being able to speak with him directly about what happened.

Regarding CK my honest opinion is I have a hard time taking his protest seriously because he has a net worth of 22 million dollars as a result of playing a game. Far more money then I could ever dream of making grinding out an existence. To me it's all about putting your money where your mouth is then. If you are so dissatisfied with this country and are so passionate about social injustice then instead of protesting the flag of the country that gives you the freedom and opportunity to make 22 million then quit the sport all together and devote your entire life using the entire 22 million towards the cause of social injustice. Instead he token donates a few bucks only after the 'public backlash' and continues to pursue trying to play a game.

I was listening to Clay Travis's outkick the coverage show one morning and he was talking about CK and his protest. The facts as he mentioned them were a person of any color has a far greater likelihood statiscally of being killed by a lightning strike than by a police officer. Does public sentiment reflect this statiscisl truth?

Are there bad people in all walks of life? Absolutely. Do we need to continue to work together to make improvements in our society? Sure. I just have a hard time taking CK himself seriously. We live in a time where it's cool to be counter culture and so many seek and live for personal attention. Was CK using a cause to draw attention to himself? Maybe.... not even thinking it through. The only one that knows is CK himself.

I don't care how much money someone makes. That flag is a clear symbol of what so many people have fought and died for to protect i.e. 1st Amendment rights. CK should respect the flag and our national anthem. However, while I disagree strongly with CK's protest, I will defend his right to be wrong. Additionally, just because he has millions of dollars, doesn't mean he has any less of a right to exercise his 1st Amendment rights than anyone else, so that point is ridiculous.

About 30 people die each year from lightning strikes. Almost 1,000 are shot and killed by police, so that claim is patently false. But in the day and age of alternative facts not surprising someone would try to assert something ridiculous like that. Regardless, it's not about how many people are shot and killed by police that's the issue; the issue is are the shootings warranted and justified--most are.

The fact is speaking out against police brutality in the way of racism is popular right now. Is it completely without merit? Nope. However, I am in agreement that if CK or anyone else really wants to do something positive to save black lives, they would focus more of their attention on the number of gang bangers in poor, urban neighborhoods that are brutally shooting down kids and teens at a far greater clip than police officers. Again, though, this talk has nothing to do with the article, contrary to some people's beliefs on this thread.

Furthermore, it seems like we can't have honest dialogue about issues like these anymore because everyone is inventing their own statistics and alternative facts. Ironically, from what has been reported concerning the issue with Dailey and his friends, it seems Dailey has handled the incident with greater maturity and integrity than some people sounding off on this thread. I'm not saying you are one of them, I'm just saying there is a lot of stupid sh!t being tossed off on here right now.

Just wanted to share my experience. When I was 16-17 years old I lived in a rougher neighborhood and did not enjoy any of this mythical white privilege you suburban guys talk about all the time. I regularly got harassed by law enforcement and had my face in the street a few times once or twice with a boot on my neck/back and a pistol pointed at me. I wasn't ever doing anything wrong either, I just happened to "fit the description". It never occurred to me to blame the cops for doing their job, or to bring skin color into it, (some of the cops were different races).

There are bad cops everywhere. It isn't just minorities getting targeted but they are the ones that make the news. Plenty of college kids get harassed every day regardless of race. There are also many white people shot and beat by police but that isn't newsworthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGot5onIt
This is framed very poorly. As I pointed out in a previous response, many factors are involved.

However, it's painstakingly obvious your purpose in "contributing" to this thread was simply to provide a dimwitted, toss-off response that perpetuates the myth that 1) there is no such thing as systemic racism and 2) that skin color is a valid predictor of behavior.

I would love for you "dimwitted" libs to spend a few days in the life of a cop, then come back to me buddy. How's that sound?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT