ADVERTISEMENT

Dang. Crap just seems to always happen in Florida

Ghee Buttersnaps

Team MVP
Nov 12, 2023
What's is up with y'all's state!? Also, I love how they'll blame "no life guards" instead of crappy parents.

Girl who died in sand hole at Florida beach is identified; lifeguards could have prevented tragedy, experts say​

Shira Moolten, South Florida Sun Sentinel
Wed, February 21, 2024 at 2:27 PM CST·2 min read

6ae1087a9ff303da7a7e04ff6413d7ad

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A family from Indiana was enjoying a beach day at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea Tuesday afternoon when the large hole the two young children were digging in the sand collapsed, burying them alive, officials say.

The children were identified by the Broward Sheriff’s Office Wednesday as 5-year-old Sloan Mattingly and her 9-year-old brother, Maddox. Sloan had no pulse when paramedics managed to extricate her from the sand, and later died in the hospital. Maddox was also buried but survived.

Ocean rescue experts say Sloan’s death might have been prevented if the beach was staffed with lifeguards. In other nearby coastal towns, lifeguards are instructed to tell beachgoers about the risks of digging in the sand, and to stop people from digging any deeper than knee-height, or about 2 feet; the hole the two were digging that day was between 5 and 6 feet, officials say.

But Lauderdale-by-the-Sea has no lifeguards, according to Pompano Beach spokesperson Sandra King. Pompano Beach provides fire and ocean rescue services to the town, responding to the incident after it was reported.

“This doesn’t happen on guarded beaches,” said Jim McCrady, Vice President and Lifesaving Academies director of the U.S. Lifesaving Association Southeast Region, who also works as a surf rescue chief in Hallandale Beach. “We do that all day long. We spot hazards and then we mitigate the dangers involved in those hazards. This is a daily thing that happens on a guarded beach, when someone starts to dig hole. We not only tell the person not to dig a deep hole, but to fill it in before they leave.”

Spokespeople for the town did not immediately respond to calls or emails about the lifeguard situation Wednesday, but said that the beach was open and the sand had been leveled.

Sloan and Maddox were playing in the sand in the 4400 block of El Mar Drive about 3 p.m. Tuesday, officials say, a normal time to go to the beach for a family, with plenty of people around. Pompano Beach Fire Rescue responded to find Maddox buried up to his chest in the sand, Sloan completely buried beneath him.

Witness cell phone video showed people trying to dig them out, WTVJ-Ch. 6 reported.

Fire rescue had to dig with shovels and supportive boards to keep more sand from collapsing in as they rescued the girl, King said.

She did not immediately know how long the children were buried before they were removed.

BSO did not identify the childrens’ parents or provide an update on Maddox’s condition.

I'm confused by OP blaming Florida for this. There isn't any sand or dirt in Indiana? Where were the parents?

That poor family. Heartbreaking.

Man, just looked at the pics of the family. That made me tear up.

Last edited:
When I was a kid - think I was about 7 or so - my brother got buried in a big hole we'd dug in a sand dune near our house. He was 3 years older than me, so was around 10 at the time. It was similar depth, we'd dug it over the course of a few days; he was down in the bottom and it caved in on top of him. Miraculously, it caved in a way such that he had an air pocket around him - he was sitting down, leaning forward, so it collapsed around him. We were there with two other buddies about his age; I ran down the hill to our house, mom called the rescue squad. Somehow he survived, with the only damage being a gash on teh back of his head where he'd gotten hit with a shovel while they were trying to dig him out.
Mom had nightmares about it for many years, especially every time something similar would happen & make the news.
To this day, if I see kids digging something similar I'll make them stop and tell the story to their parents.

When I was a kid - think I was about 7 or so - my brother got buried in a big hole we'd dug in a sand dune near our house. He was 3 years older than me, so was around 10 at the time. It was similar depth, we'd dug it over the course of a few days; he was down in the bottom and it caved in on top of him. Miraculously, it caved in a way such that he had an air pocket around him - he was sitting down, leaning forward, so it collapsed around him. We were there with two other buddies about his age; I ran down the hill to our house, mom called the rescue squad. Somehow he survived, with the only damage being a gash on teh back of his head where he'd gotten hit with a shovel while they were trying to dig him out.
Mom had nightmares about it for many years, especially every time something similar would happen & make the news.
We used to dig in the sand piles they’d dump whenever they were building a new house nearby. A buddy got stuck in a similar way. Luckily his legs were sticking out and we could pull him out.

My mom always said to stay out of the piles or we’d get ringworm from the cat poop. Probably urban legend.

We dug an underground fort with a plywood roof covered with dirt.

It's a miracle I survived my childhood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT