ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Cormier

Actually I do. Cormier didn't know what he was talking about at times because he didn't know the rules.
That's fine. There's a lot of work that goes into the craft of calling live wrestling matches.

However, if you don't think there are times where Mr No Sh!t didn't have a clue what was going on you're not paying attention. That and him being a PSU cheerleader is enough to make me want almost anyone else calling matches...anyone except Ray Flores!

Did the refs blow the call by letting Starocci take down first in OT since Lewis had the first takedown? DC suggested as much and Gibbons seemed to agree. Great match either way.

Edit: Oops. Wrong thread.

I'm an MMA guy so I definitely will have a different perspective based on watching him announce there.

DC is fantastic. He wasn't perfect last night (and he definitely hated on PSU at times) but his enthusiasm is contagious. What's more, he will bring some crossover eyeballs...guarantee he references being in Detroit every UFC broadcast going forward. He always does his homework (he referenced watching several prior matches during the Finals) and he's just a likeable guy. Guarantee he wasn't cheap so the ROI had to be there for ESPN to have him there unless Uncle Dana struck a deal to help with his own crossover eyeballs. Finally, DC is beyond likeable. He looked like a whiny baby during his Jones fights until Jones showed his ass and proved DC was right about everything he said all along. He also was pure class during his trilogy with Stipe. He's just a good dude. Family man, tough overachiever, coaches kids wrestling for nearly free and LOVES the sport of wrestling. He also gives kids a vision of what they may want to do after wrestling is over.

I love Baldwin but he's an actor who comes from a wresrling family. He has nowhere near the accolades or accomplishments of DC. He's a 6/10 as a color guy...maybe a 7. DC is a 9 at worst.

Anyone is better than Shane (The Spaz) Sparks. John Smith is really good when he decides to hang up coaching.

Anyone is better than Shane (The Spaz) Sparks. John Smith is really good when he decides to hang up coaching.
Smith hasn't already quit coaching?

OSU got 2 AA's and finished out of the top 10 if I heard correctly.

How far the mighty have fallen.

I'm an MMA guy so I definitely will have a different perspective based on watching him announce there.

DC is fantastic. He wasn't perfect last night (and he definitely hated on PSU at times) but his enthusiasm is contagious. What's more, he will bring some crossover eyeballs...guarantee he references being in Detroit every UFC broadcast going forward. He always does his homework (he referenced watching several prior matches during the Finals) and he's just a likeable guy. Guarantee he wasn't cheap so the ROI had to be there for ESPN to have him there unless Uncle Dana struck a deal to help with his own crossover eyeballs. Finally, DC is beyond likeable. He looked like a whiny baby during his Jones fights until Jones showed his ass and proved DC was right about everything he said all along. He also was pure class during his trilogy with Stipe. He's just a good dude. Family man, tough overachiever, coaches kids wrestling for nearly free and LOVES the sport of wrestling. He also gives kids a vision of what they may want to do after wrestling is over.

I love Baldwin but he's an actor who comes from a wresrling family. He has nowhere near the accolades or accomplishments of DC. He's a 6/10 as a color guy...maybe a 7. DC is a 9 at worst.
Did you just say DC definitely hated on PSU at times? I must've missed those times between the "Look what they've done here coach, FOUR CHAMPIONS. That just doesn't happen! This is unbelievable what they're doing over at Penn State coach".

I will say I enjoyed listening to him. It seemed that he was genuinely excited to be there, and that's always more enjoyable than the half enthused drivel we get from many others.

I didn’t watch a lot of the ESPN coverage because I watched a lot of the individual mats. But I thought the tall ESPN dude did pretty good for not being a wrestling guy.

Did you just say DC definitely hated on PSU at times? I must've missed those times between the "Look what they've done here coach, FOUR CHAMPIONS. That just doesn't happen! This is unbelievable what they're doing over at Penn State coach".

I will say I enjoyed listening to him. It seemed that he was genuinely excited to be there, and that's always more enjoyable than the half enthused drivel we get from many others.

He also said (to some effect) that he wasn't a big fan of PSU. His competitive spirit is strong and 20+ years hasn't been long enough for him to bury his past experiences with Cael.

Smith hasn't already quit coaching?

OSU got 2 AA's and finished out of the top 10 if I heard correctly.

How far the mighty have fallen.
Good observation. As much as Iowa fans tend to bitch about stuff... think how irrelevant OSU has become?

Wonder the the Cowboy old timers feel?

Only complaint was when he said Gable should’ve won the Hodge outright last year when in fact I believe Spencer won the vote but they decided to share it for some odd reason.

Reactions: 24 so far
Only complaint was when he said Gable should’ve won the Hodge outright last year when in fact I believe Spencer won the vote but they decided to share it for some odd reason.
Frankly I don't care who they give it to (even though you'd never convince me that anybody deserved it over Spencer), as long as they give it to ONE person.

Cormier was very good, outside of his drooling over Penn state and Gable. Drowned out Gibbons

He also said (to some effect) that he wasn't a big fan of PSU. His competitive spirit is strong and 20+ years hasn't been long enough for him to bury his past experiences with Cael.
You are so right, a really great wrestler in his own right and he was one of only a couple of guys who held Cael to a regular decision. He has good reason to not especially like Cael, but he does respect him and for that I give him credit. Got to love that competitive spirit as you said.

Reactions: kjb32812
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT