ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Wannstedt says he has heard ISU and Kansas to Big Ten

The answer is…AAU….regionality…not wanting to destroy the PAC and pre-empting a future SEC move to absorb the 4-6 best programs from the ACC in the early 2030’s. It’s a kind of marshaling of forces to counter the SEC’s effort to become the singular dominant force in college football.

The B1G clearly would become a less dominant force by adding Clown U

From an academic standpoint, ISU and KU are the best adds. None of the other B12 remnants have AAU status.

From a $$$$$$$ standpoint (and while it's not fair, it's the only one that matters at the end of the day) not a single leftover team from the Big 12 adds anything the B1G wants or doesn't already have. It wants alpha programs in new markets. Look for schools like Virginia and North Carolina to be towards the top of the B1G's "want list". Might be a pipe dream, but Florida would be a colossal boon for the B1G. It'd be a win-win for both parties as the B1G gets probably the most underappreciated public school in the country academically (every bit as good as the UC system or Michigan) plus it gains an official foothold in some really premier recruiting territory. Florida would also be officially associated with its academic peers and would have a slightly easier path to making the CFP as well, with really only Ohio State standing in its way. It's going to need a couple of viable travel partners (i.e. GA Tech and NC) but if there's ANY chance of Florida seceding from the SEC, the B1G will pull out all the stops to make it happen. But there's like a 0.1% chance of that happening as while I'm not an insider by any stretch, I am not aware of any grumblings by the UF brass. If there are, they are exceptionally good at keeping it a secret.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I would not believe any of this if it wasn't the University Presidents deciding what to do. They are the only group that could make a decision not in the best financial interests because they want to take care of some of their buddies. I am sure it is a fairly tight knit club.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Yes, adding a top ten football team coming off a previous Fiesta Bowl Championship season….weakens” the West Division.

You can argue the money…but you lose any argument on the topics of on field competiveness, cultural fit, and academics. Adding ISU makes the West much better in football than in its current configuration. Which current West Div teams are currently in the Top Ten?

So the SEC is going to add Texas and Oklahoma and our counter would be Kansas and Iowa State? Pardon my French but that would suck a bag of dicks
Yeah, the SEC makes a move to stockpile football blue bloods that by all accounts will net all member schools a big bag of cash. Now can you imagine how much the SEC schools would chuckle to themselves if our answer is to add two schools that have combined for like 6 winning seasons in the past 50 years. And oh by the way to add insult to injury all of our schools also make less money as a result.

Reactions: shudaddy
Clown fans sure do think this is true. Too bad no one yet can answer the fundamental question as to why would the Big Ten take isu if it means the existing schools have to take a financial hit to do it?

Not impossible but Dave Wanstedt is wrong about LOT of things a LOT of the time. He probably read it on a message board 😄.
Yeah, my working theory is he overheard idle chatter about realignment that he misinterpreted and blew out of proportion. Given we’ve heard ESPN played a big role in the SEC expansion it’s not unreasonable to think that Fox will want to weigh in on what the other conferences do so I’m sure they are spitballing about what future conference realignment will look like. But his scenario seems to have so many problems I just can’t imagine it will get off the ground.

Yes, adding a top ten football team coming off a previous Fiesta Bowl Championship season….weakens” the West Division.

You can argue the money…but you lose any argument on the topics of on field competiveness, cultural fit, and academics. Adding ISU makes the West much better in football than in its current configuration. Which current West Div teams are currently in the Top Ten?
You think isu is gonna be a top ten team every year?

Obviously this would be counter to what every other source out there is saying so it surprises me how much conviction he seems to have about this. Here is a link to the audio clip, it’s about 30 seconds long but he basically says he was in a meeting recently with conference people there that were talking about splitting up the Big 8 leftovers and it’s going to be OSU and KSU to Pac12, WV to the ACC, and ISU and KU to the Big Ten.

Doesn't make any sense on any level. First of all, WVU is never getting an ACC invite. Also, I don't believe OSU or KSU would ever get a Pac 12 invite. And, thirdly, there is no way ISU ever gets a Big 10 invite. Add to the fact that these three conferences would be letting OK and Texas escape to the SEC with zero penalty and there is really no way any of this is true.

come on Mesa. These things are not done in a one-year snapshot. I'm not disagreeing about the cultural fit and academic side of ISU. But that doesn't seem to be what this is about. Does adding ISU in the Big 10 west improve the division this year? Sure. Would it have improved the division over the past 30 years more than Purdue or Illinois? No. By this logic, the ACC or SEC wouldn't add Michigan if the Wolverines wanted to go because they were bad last year and not likely to be good this year. They are one of the best all-time programs with TV markets they bring, the largest alumni base in the country and more.

None of us have a real grasp on what the ACC, Big 10 or Pac-12 might do in adding additional teams. I have given up trying to predict what will or won't happen.

Good lord clown fans put a lot of weight in beating a school that also lost to 1-3 Cal and 2-4 Oregon State. So much so that they believe no one in a decision making capacity will ever contemplate the possibility that isu won’t stay at such a lofty level. I mean who wouldn’t want bet tens of millions annually that isu will suddenly achieve year over year relevance.

Last edited:

P6XeH1cT8XdMjLru4Kj-wfLcDfdtTmneWZveoxLvCLNJfM_rU3DAFHMCdI0xEFIRrQrINjHGQdl_s1YsUp6oKSjVgnHlH_qIxBTNn5Gh8ZYYb4_Ztkgv5U-U3XaoKnbYVT0

Admittedly, I don't know much about the Big Ten Research Consortium. I was only made aware of it when the news of OuT came out. From what I understand, the consortium helps the schools compete for large research grants (way more than what they get from football).

Is it possible we are looking it the wrong way? Perhaps the college presidents are thinking "sure we lose some money in football revenue, but we gain more on the research side?" Or do I not understand the research grants as they related to the consortium?

I've been in the camp that there's no way ISU is invited into the B1G, but I'm spitballing/playing devil's advocate.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Clown fans sure do think this is true. Too bad no one yet can answer the fundamental question as to why would the Big Ten take isu if it means the existing schools have to take a financial hit to do it?
You don’t really know it means a financial hit…it’s only a hit if Fox doesn’t pay up to keep revenue high per team. Perhaps they will if they perceive that great rivalry matchups and strong play on field equate to subscriptions and revenue. “Value” is what Fox is willing to pay…and none of us here are privy to the precise mechanisms by which Fox makes that decision.

Again, Clown U would weaken the B1G.

And speaking of "fit," we don't need to add a delusional fan base that makes comments like you made recently.

January 9, 2021: When Iowa State wins the most games in conference in 2021...which they did in 2020...that makes 2 consecutive Big 12 Football Championships. 1+1=2.

January 2021: They are the 2020 REGULAR season Big 12 Football champs!!!

January 2021: Whoever wins the most regular season conference games is the regular season champ. You’ll just have to live with that little statement of fact.....

June 17, 2021: uumm. Not embarrassed at all for claiming that Iowa State won (will win) BOTH the 2020 & 2021 Big 12 Football Championships. They had the best regular season record in the Big 12 barring OU whom they defeated in their head to head matchup during the regular season. Call it anything you'd like and I'll call it what I like. Only a true idiot would have an issue with that...though I'm not surprised YOU do.
June 17, 2021: The question of whether Iowa State won the conference championship in 2020 is just semantics. As Lone Clone stated, philosophically...the team with the best conference record is the regular season champ of that conference. The official league winner is the team that wins the championship game...not sure why that's so confusing for you. Well...perhaps I am sure.

June 19, 2021: What we're arguing here is simply the semantics of what word we use to describe the team that won the conference regular season. It seems that many here "protesteth to much" on this topic.

You don’t really know it means a financial hit…it’s only a hit if Fox doesn’t pay up to keep revenue high per team. Perhaps they will if they perceive that great rivalry matchups and strong play on field equate to subscriptions and revenue. “Value” is what Fox is willing to pay…and none of us here are privy to the precise mechanisms by which Fox makes that decision.
So you are arguing isu is going to be able to get Fox to pay an additional $55m per year just to add isu?

What other delusions are you selling?

Right now, sure, ISU would help. But looking at the bigger picture, besides a pretty decent run in the 70s and 80s, ISU has done a whole bunch of nothing on the gridiron. But can ISU keep Matt Campbell? Obviously remaining in a P5 conference would increase the chances of him staying, but even then he is still probably biding his time until the OSU or ND jobs open up (OSU is locked up for the foreseeable future, and while Brian Kelly is always one bad year away from being canned, he's kept the Irish fairly relevant lately).

Maybe the Clones have found their Wild Bill in MC. Maybe he really does want to stick around to oversee a winning product in Ames. But you'll have to forgive me if I'm just a little skeptical because sustained success in football just hasn't happened for ISU.

And some more food for thought - if the Big 12 stayed the Big 12 for 10 more years and only now are teams leaving, would the B1G still take Nebraska over ISU? Obviously Nebraska has the heritage and the viewership, but ISU has the AAU status and is the better product lately. Might be a tougher choice this time around.

Myself being at "corporate" meetings, as DW implies he was at a FOX meeting, there's a hard and fast rule for such meetings attendees; "what's said in this room, STAYS in this room".

It makes no sense that a talking head is allowed in such talks AND then to be stupid enough to go before the "alliance's" formal notice/press release.

I call BS.

WHO 13 News

WHO13.COM
ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 to announce alliance plans, according to AP source
by: Ralph D. Russo, Associated Press
Posted: Aug 24, 2021 / 10:03 AM CDT / Updated: Aug 24, 2021 / 10:03 AM CDT

FILE – Ohio State wide receiver Chris Olave catches a touchdown pass in front of Clemson cornerback Derion Kendrick during the second half of the Sugar Bowl NCAA college football game in New Orleans, in this Friday, Jan. 1, 2021, file photo. Olave was selected to The Associated Press Preseason All-America first team offense, Monday Aug. 23, 2021. (AP Photo/Butch Dill, File)

The Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten and Pac-12 plan to announce Tuesday that the three powerful leagues will form an alliance to work together on items such as football scheduling and college sports governance.
A person familiar with the talks among the conferences told The Associated Press the commissioners of the three leagues are expected for the first time to publicly address an idea that has been discussed for several weeks.
The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the conferences had not authorized anyone to speak publicly about the alliance before the formal announcement. The person said Tuesday’s announcement will be light on details and more of a commitment from the three relatively new commissioners — Kevin Warren of the Big Ten, Jim Phillips of the ACC and George Kliavkoff of the Pac-12 — that the conferences will work together on shared goals.

Because ISU will always be top ten now....eye roll

Again, Clown U would weaken the B1G.

And speaking of "fit," we don't need to add a delusional fan base that makes comments like you made recently.
It’s true, you already DO have the Iowa fan base…so you might be full up in that department.

Yeah, the SEC makes a move to stockpile football blue bloods that by all accounts will net all member schools a big bag of cash. Now can you imagine how much the SEC schools would chuckle to themselves if our answer is to add two schools that have combined for like 6 winning seasons in the past 50 years. And oh by the way to add insult to injury all of our schools also make less money as a result.
Texas is a blue blood program? ISU sure has been beating lots of blue bloods lately then!

Reactions: F5n5
You guys have gotten really worked up about information from Wannstache. He is stupid enough he might actually have spent time in Ames growing up.

We know enough that if it is about TV revenue then ISU doesn't move the needle there enough to offset the payout of an extra team.

Imagine being a fan of a team and clinging to the words from Dave Wannstedt on conference realignment. How desperate can you be?

Isu has lost 5 straight to a big west team. That team won the West once. Campbell has lost 4 straight to a west team that never won the west in that time. Take off the McDonalds sunglasses.

We know enough that if it is about TV revenue then ISU doesn't move the needle there enough to offset the payout of an extra team.

Imagine being a fan of a team and clinging to the words from Dave Wannstedt on conference realignment. How desperate can you be?
Can you say hook, line and sinker? Sure can, clown fans bought it.

Nope, I don’t see that happening.
You haven’t gotten the memo have you? See when clown fans make delusional statements they must be accepted as fact. No one can question their delusional statements because they say so.

Couldn’t see Fox being happy about the additions. It does nothing for adding viewers, which is their target. The addition may hurt the next contract. Would the Presidents take any consideration of the money of tv contracts into account in their decision?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT