ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant recommendations Miami airport area

darylhawk

HR MVP
Aug 20, 2004
Staying at a hotel by the Miami airport on my way to and from a fly fishing trip to Cuba next week, and wanted to get some recs on restaurants for dinner. Nothing too extravagant needed just something good and actually wouldn't mind Cuban food as it's way better in FL then Cuba (and I never get good Cuban food here in Oregon). Thanks in advance to all our Noles, FL Hawks, and world travelers.

I lived in Miami for 25 years and go back a few times a year. The iconic Versailles is not too far from the airport. I could give you a list of places for Cuban sandwiches, pastries and Frita Cubanas (Cuban hamburgers.) If you want one place, go to Versailles.

Last edited:
I lived in Miami for 25 years and go back a few times a year. The iconic Versailles is not too far from the airport. I could give you a list of places for Cuban sandwiches, pastries and Frita Cubanas (Cuban hamburgers.) If you want one place, go to Versailles.

This restaurant is amazing.

If you want a quick meal diner quality this is a great option right by the rental car center for the Miami Airport. Sit outside at tge counter and watch all the blue collar workers come for breakfast or lunch. Not sure they even speak English.

Yep. Was at Versailles just last week. Was great. Got there at like 1PM and still had to wait 45min but enjoyed drinks at outdoor bar.

Relatively inexpensive too, and quite filling.

I prefer La Carreta over Versailles. There‘s two of them in the airport itself and there’s another only 3 miles away literally next to the main Versailles location. Versailles has all the publicity. La Carreta has the better food. At least the vaca frita and arroz con pollo I usually choose from as my main dish.

This is one of the best Cuban Sandwiches anywhere, at Sanguich de Miami. Everything except the bread is made in-house. The ham brines for a week. The roast pork marinades for two days. They make their own mustard and pickles.

Sanguich de Miami is a mile and a half east of Versailles on 8th street

The Cuban Sandwich That Reigns Supreme in Miami | Legendary Eats

Chicago newsman visits Sanguich de Miami

Miami's Best Cubanos, Pan Con Lechon & Medianoches at Sanguich

Last edited:
Reactions: darylhawk
From the YouTube comments:

“True Floridians know the most legendary sandwich in south Florida is the tender sub from Publix”😂

I prefer La Carreta over Versailles. There‘s two of them in the airport itself and there’s another only 3 miles away literally next to the main Versailles location. Versailles has all the publicity. La Carreta has the better food. At least the vaca frita and arroz con pollo I usually choose from as my main dish.

La Carreta is very good. I have been there many more times than I've been to Versailles. That's because they had satellite locations in Dade and Broward for decades. There was one near where I worked in Ft Lauderdale in the 90s. Versailles opened branch locations more recently.

The croquetas de yuca and tostones rellenos on the La Carreta appetizer menu both look really good. I've had croquetas and tostones plenty of times but I've never seen these versions.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations! Just about to leave Oregon so hopefully travel goes smooth and we have time to hit The Versailles tonight. Definitely want that Cuban sandwich on way back from Cuba as we get into Miami a little earlier next Saturday. Cuban food has always been one of my favorite parts of my many trips to the Keys to flyfish for tarpon over the years, but haven’t eaten any in Miami since Iowa played in the Orange Bowl in 2002 when I was still in college

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I just learned that Versailles and La Carreta are owned by the same family. Felipe Valls Sr opened Versailles in 1971 and La Carreta in 1972.

“Valls then acquired Badia’s restaurant in Little Havana and grew it into a popular Cuban spot, which he later sold to raise money to buy the famous spot where he first opened Versailles in 1971.

Valls is the creator of Miami's emblematic ventanitaconcept, a walk-up window serving Cuban coffee and pastries.

With more than 2,000 employees, the Valls Group encompasses over 30 establishments, including Versailles, La Carreta, Casa Juancho, MesaMar, and Casa Cuba, it also has several outposts at Miami International Airport serving millions of travelers.”

“The style of cooking at La Carreta is more country style, while the style at Versailles is more like Havana or big city cooking. It's a lot like the difference between Cajun and Creole cooking. Although both restaurants serve many of the same dishes, the food at La Carreta is closer to what the guajiros would eat in the countryside.”

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
Staying at a hotel by the Miami airport on my way to and from a fly fishing trip to Cuba next week, and wanted to get some recs on restaurants for dinner.

giphy.gif

Picadillo

Three Guys from Miami recipe

Last edited:
I just learned that Versailles and La Carreta are owned by the same family. Felipe Valls Sr opened Versailles in 1971 and La Carreta in 1972.

“Valls then acquired Badia’s restaurant in Little Havana and grew it into a popular Cuban spot, which he later sold to raise money to buy the famous spot where he first opened Versailles in 1971.

Valls is the creator of Miami's emblematic ventanitaconcept, a walk-up window serving Cuban coffee and pastries.

With more than 2,000 employees, the Valls Group encompasses over 30 establishments, including Versailles, La Carreta, Casa Juancho, MesaMar, and Casa Cuba, it also has several outposts at Miami International Airport serving millions of travelers.”

“The style of cooking at La Carreta is more country style, while the style at Versailles is more like Havana or big city cooking. It's a lot like the difference between Cajun and Creole cooking. Although both restaurants serve many of the same dishes, the food at La Carreta is closer to what the guajiros would eat in the countryside.”

I didn’t know they were related, but I’m not surprised considering they both managed to get prime locations in the Miami airport. I do much prefer the peasant food apparently.

This restaurant is amazing.

If you want a quick meal diner quality this is a great option right by the rental car center for the Miami Airport. Sit outside at tge counter and watch all the blue collar workers come for breakfast or lunch. Not sure they even speak English.

Ah yes. I remember recommending this place years ago to someone in here. Hopefully they've stayed as authentic as it used to be. They didn't speak English when I went but were easily accommodating of my gringo spanglish and pointing at the menu lol.

Reactions: hawkedoff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT