ADVERTISEMENT

Daviyon Nixon

Hopefully it's a moot point at the end of the day. I want him to come to Iowa and I hope he does.

But if Iowa were to not release him then we could get absolutely crucified by the court of public opinion, even if we're in the right.

If he wants to go elsewhere, unless it's a Big Ten school or on Iowa's schedule, what benefit does it provide Iowa to refuse? Would we be hoping to force him to stay at Iowa and not hold a grudge? I don't see any realistic benefit to it.
Again, its not so much Nixon that I have an issue with. Its that Bama, MUST be held to the same rules as everyone else. Especially since this has come out in the open. If I was the compliance officer at Iowa, I'd be on someone at the NCAA call log 10 times a day until they respond. I'm also not sure how crucified Iowa would be. There are a lot of people that would like to see Alabama taken down a notch, in regards to not getting their way all the time.

You people that want to force him to come to Iowa; assuming he wants to go elsewhere, are interesting. Look at it from a pure moral argument, you're trying to force someone to go to a school they don't want to go to. Please try to justify that.

I understand the contract argument, but Iowa has far more to lose than Nixon with any negative impact that forcing a contract could cause. If you disagree, there's a reason the staff goes through an extensive vetting process with everyone they offer, they don't want the distraction in the locker room.

Either way, Nixon will be a Hawkeye next year. I'm going to assume he's built a very nice relationship with the staff and appreciates what they've done for him. That'll be enough to overcome all the Alabamas in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormn Norman
You people that want to force him to come to Iowa; assuming he wants to go elsewhere, are interesting. Look at it from a pure moral argument, you're trying to force someone to go to a school they don't want to go to. Please try to justify that.

I understand the contract argument, but Iowa has far more to lose than Nixon with any negative impact that forcing a contract could cause. If you disagree, there's a reason the staff goes through an extensive venting process with everyone they offer, they don't want the distraction in the locker room.

Either way, Nixon will be a Hawkeye next year. I'm going to assume he's built a very nice relationship with the staff and appreciates what they've done for him. That'll be enough to overcome all the Alabamas in the world.
Can you explain the “venting process” for me please? Do some of our coaches have a background in HVAC?

Nixon stated in a interview that he was going to talk to the coaches before going on any visit.

nothing has been indicated that he is going back on his commitment.
if he stays with Iowa this could solidify Iowa's DL for the next 3-4 years, the combination are very intriguing

I understand the contract argument, but Iowa has far more to lose than Nixon with any negative impact that forcing a contract could cause. If you disagree, there's a reason the staff goes through an extensive vetting process with everyone they offer, they don't want the distraction in the locker room.

You answered your own question. The young man (adult) signed a contract. The coaches honored their word, he should be accountable to his.

Again, the second he even thought about b!tc*ing the DLiNe coach would grab him by the face mask and ask him if he wants to play in the NFL. All that other crap would go out the window. You are way over value feelings.

Reactions: rwine
You answered your own question. The young man (adult) signed a contract. The coaches honored their word, he should be accountable to his.
Okay, and the contract voids if he stays where he's at for two years. Still doesn't come to Iowa and goes to Bama. Why would you want to put someone's life on hold when you're a major university? What do you have to gain? Better yet, why would you want someone in the locker room that doesn't want to be there?

This shouldn't be about punishing someone. It should be about your reputation and what improves upon your team. The Iowa is bigger then any one recruit. Grant the release and move on; if it comes to that.

Okay, and the contract voids if he stays where he's at for two years. Still doesn't come to Iowa and goes to Bama. Why would you want to put someone's life on hold when you're a major university? What do you have to gain? Better yet, why would you want someone in the locker room that doesn't want to be there?

This shouldn't be about punishing someone. It should be about your reputation and what improves upon your team. The Iowa is bigger then any one recruit. Grant the release and move on; if it comes to that.
If he stays at iwcc for 2 years Bama won't be waiting for him

Okay, and the contract voids if he stays where he's at for two years. Still doesn't come to Iowa and goes to Bama. (Bama will have 2 guys over the top of him by then) Why would you want to put someone's life on hold when you're a major university? (Wins. Make no mistake about it there are millions of dollars involved) What do you have to gain? (Wins, upgrade in talent) Better yet, why would you want someone in the locker room that doesn't want to be there? (Again, this is a competitor trying to make it in the NFL if he took the aww shucks mentality he is a flake and I don't think he is)

This shouldn't be about punishing someone.(playing d1 football at Iowa is a punishment?) It should be about your reputation and what improves upon your team. (WINS BUILD REPUTATION NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS THERE ISN'T A 17 YEAR OLD IN THE WORLD THAT GIVES 2 SQUIRTS OF PISS ABOUT NICE GUYS THEY WANT TO WIN. YOU EVER THINK ABOUT ALL THE CRAPPY PART ABOUT BEAR BRYANT WHEN YOU HEAR HIS NAME?) The Iowa is bigger then any one recruit. (COOL STORY, WINS) Grant the release and move on; if it comes to that (NO, HOLD YOUR GROUND AND VALUE AND MAKE HIM HONOR HIS WORD. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT A CHILD THE COACHES DESERVE RESPECT FOR THE EFFORT THEY HAVE PUT INTO THE SITUATION..

I answered your questions in the post.

If he stays at iwcc for 2 years Bama won't be waiting for him
Probably not, but if his motivation is to get to a more prestigious school then Iowa that's a possible route to take. I'm not really debating his options, I'm debating the mindset some individuals have about the way the U of I should handle this situation. Iowa should go report Bama for their actions, that's an 'equal peer' in Iowa's eyes. Going after Nixon is not the way the University should handle this situation.

Going after someone and holding someone to a contract are two different things. There are more people involved than just Nixon. The coaches made decisions based off his as well.

Reactions: madmax1191

Again, the second he even thought about b!tc*ing the DLiNe coach would grab him by the face mask and ask him if he wants to play in the NFL. All that other crap would go out the window. You are way over value feelings.
I don't value feelings... I value Iowa's reputation, I value team unity, I value doing the right thing. The fact that you want to address potential 'b!tc*ing' with more yelling tells me you don't value the power of a unified locker room.

Going after someone and holding someone to a contract are two different things. There are more people involved than just Nixon. The coaches made decisions based off his as well.
Again, look long term. IF he doesn't want to be here and you force him to be here what does Iowa gain? I'm not arguing your logic, I just refuse to be short sighted.

Ever heard the expression " you can drag a horse to water, but you can't make him drink " ?

Long term? We have had the same guy for 19 years and your worried about long term? Win football games. Respect yourself enough to tell bama to shove off and hold the young man to it. Again, if he actually wants to play in the NFL he will put his head down and work his butt off. You are way to worried about him being a distraction in the locker room. "Feelings." Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Is a great mindset, but when when talent works hard it fist f's the guy with less talent that works hard. We need more talent. You are assuming he would just go all cancer.

Reactions: madmax1191
Bahma will have to withdraw its offer, if it hasn't already, or risk an even greater NCAA violation then tampering. This is between the NCAA and Bahma now, Iowa has a LOI and Bahma tampered. The offer is illegal by NCAA Rules, End of Story.

Long term? We have had the same guy for 19 years and your worried about long term? Win football games. Respect yourself enough to tell bama to shove off and hold the young man to it. Again, if he actually wants to play in the NFL he will put his head down and work his butt off. You are way to worried about him being a distraction in the locker room. "Feelings." Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Is a great mindset, but when when talent works hard it fist f's the guy with less talent that works hard. We need more talent. You are assuming he would just go all cancer.

This hypothetical is based on him wanting to go to Bama over Iowa. With that said, If someone doesn't want to go to your school but is forced to go there, they're not going to be happy. Yes, that's feelings, but nobody is jumping for joy over the loss of freedom even if it's contractually obligated.

I do understand that distractions in the locker room are something no coach wants. Maybe they won't happen; however, under the assumptions made, I don't see how no resentment comes out of the situation. You on the other hand think that yelling and demanding something out of Nixon is going to keep him 'silent?' If that's a 'feelings' argument, so be it. Explain to me how it's not relevant. Explain to me how having a kid who DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE is a good thing. That's the counterargument I'm looking for out of you.

Now your talent argument is a good one, Iowa does want more talent. But at what cost? Keeping someone who wants to leave because he's under contract seems like a steep cost. It also goes against past precedent. What has Iowa done in the past when someone wanted to leave to get closer to home, that wanted to leave because they weren't getting enough playing time, that wanted to leave to focus on other things? Why is Nixon's case any different?

At this point I’m personally A-OK if he doesn’t end up at Iowa. Willing to bet KF and co. are sharing my thoughts on this at this point. Whatever they do moving forward DO NOT let the slithering snake of a human being Saban off the hook!! We have nothing to lose by sticking it to Bama for this. Satan er....Saban knew he was an Iowa commit but said F - Ferentz just the same. Talk about blatant disrespect...

Last edited:

Again, my issue is not so much with Nixon. I hope he comes to Iowa, but otherwise he can go elsewhere if thats what he wants. My issue is with Bama. They obviously know the rules but just think they don't apply to them. Just like how they and other SEC were oversigning numerous players every year,(take note here Mr. Nixon), and then running kids off to make roster space. According to NCAA recruiting rules they may not contact a player who is bound by a LOI. Obviously they did, and the coach then went on and tried to instruct Nixon that he wasn't bound to Iowa because he hadn't yet enrolled in classes. (Not true by the way). Not only should they be forced by rule to break off any contact or recruitment of Nixon, but they should be prohibited from offering him a scholorship when and if he gets a release. Or is it your belief that this matter should not be adressed?

Again, my issue is not so much with Nixon. I hope he comes to Iowa, but otherwise he can go elsewhere if thats what he wants. My issue is with Bama. They obviously know the rules but just think they don't apply to them. Just like how they and other SEC were oversigning numerous players every year,(take note here Mr. Nixon), and then running kids off to make roster space. According to NCAA recruiting rules they may not contact a player who is bound by a LOI. Obviously they did, and the coach then went on and tried to instruct Nixon that he wasn't bound to Iowa because he hadn't yet enrolled in classes. (Not true by the way). Not only should they be forced by rule to break off any contact or recruitment of Nixon, but they should be prohibited from offering him a scholorship when and if he gets a release. Or is it your belief that this matter should not be adressed?
You just agreed with me. I said in an earlier post Iowa should go after Bama not the kid.

You just agreed with me. I said in an earlier post Iowa should go after Bama not the kid.
My apologies then, I missed your earlier post. Don't know what kind of luck Iowa will have going after Bama, but it should be pretty cut and dried.

Nixon can change his mind, no one is stopping him. He just forfeits 1 year of NCAA Division I eligibility. Decisions have consequences. All Division I programs have agreed to this stipulation, not just Iowa. I am certain if he asks, Iowa will release him from his LOI. They don't want a player if he doesn't want to be a Hawkeye.

But what about Bahma and their tampering. This is a serious infraction and should result in the tampering University or coach being penalized. And, shouldn't the offer from the University that gets caught tampering be disallowed?

Sadly, this means Nixon could not get a scholarship (or allowed to play football) for the first year he attended Alabama if he chose to, with no guarantee that Bahama would have one for him the next year, or he would have 4 years of eligibility to play for any other school who offers.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Nixon can change his mind, no one is stopping him. He just forfeits 1 year of NCAA Division I eligibility. Decisions have consequences. All Division I programs have agreed to this stipulation, not just Iowa. I am certain if he asks, Iowa will release him from his LOI. They don't want a player if he doesn't want to be a Hawkeye.

But what about Bahma and their tampering. This is a serious infraction and should result in the tampering a University or coach being penalized. And, shouldn't the offer from the University that gets caught tampering be disallowed?

Sadly, this means Nixon could not get a scholarship (or allowed to play football) for the first year he attended Alabama if he chose to, with no guarantee that Bahama would have one for him the next year, or he would have 4 years of eligibility to play for any other school who offers.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Since this year he is playing at JUCO, so he'll only have three years of eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT